Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Whelp, pack it up! This chapter slayed me... through laughter.

How can this manga possibly top this one chapter?

(Who am I kidding: Of course it will top this chapter at some point. :allears: I just don't know when.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
I would like to rename this chapter Maid Cafe of Hell. I like how they found something there that was SO shocking that Oka actually dropped the juice box that is always hanging out of his mouth on the 2nd page.

cyrus_zane fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 20, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

cyrus_zane posted:

I would like to rename this chapter Maid Cafe of Hell. I like how they found something there that was SO shocking that Oka actually dropped the juice box that is always hanging out of his mouth on the 2nd page.

I'm really happy I wasn't the only one who picked up on that. It was the first thing I noticed on that panel, before even the reason WHY. Glorious.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Oh hey, they released the first key visual for the anime!

Something seems off though...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Mouths are too small.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If the exaggerated faces pop up at the comedy moments, I think it could work....

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

How about, oh, NO FANGS?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Looks bad

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Usual style alteration for Animation and Studio, One thing that is making it look off is the Pose, there is no way in the world she would ever be able to manage that.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
I love when adaptations completely overwrite the original art style. Oh wait the opposite.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The guy's expression in the background worries me more, if that's what's going to happen to the exaggerated reaction faces.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Man that looks terribly generic.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait maybe there's hope, the original chapters of the manga also look deceptively generic

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Her smile and fangs: Gone

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

That is not the sexy pose we have come to know and love.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rodyle posted:

Wait maybe there's hope, the original chapters of the manga also look deceptively generic
Yeah see, generic means a lot of things. At first, the comic seemed generic in plot, but it was obvious the art style was fun and different. The art from this doesn't even have that.

On a scale, the problem isn't that it looks generic, it's that it looks genericer.

EDIT: I suppose a better way to describe this art is that it's soulless. At the very least, it's lacking any of the sole of the original.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 21, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This is what Mr. Funny Story sacrificed himself to save us from.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Yeah, the manga had a fairly distinct art style even before the characters turned more cartoony, and they had somewhat distinctive body language even before you knew who they were.

Just as an observation detached from any negative expectations, that does look bog-standard. Youko's face and pose just look like Generic Anime Cute Girl #35845. Don't really like it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, it kinda just looks like the average dating sim adapatation. Not feeling too enthused about this. Maybe a trailer will make it look better.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The eyes are also smaller. Basically I have no idea how that face could ever make this expression:

And that's kind of a requirement here.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 21, 2015

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

AnonSpore posted:

Her smile and fangs: Gone

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, as Rodyle pointed out, this was how she was first introduced.

I'm gonna wait for the PV before I'll judge.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

But the whole point of her introduction is that she spent her school life trying not to smile to avoid showing her fangs. That's why the principal still keeps mocking her with "cool beauty". The anime promotional image shows her actually smiling, yet with none of her charm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aw man, that looks bland as all get-out. :(

Here's hopin' the anime still turns out good despite that key visual.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hype has been reduced by 46% and holding steady.

Still hype enough to want to watch the preview, but not much more.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

what the gently caress is this

it's awful is what it is

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There is something very strange with that back leg and now I can't stop seeing it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
She's just walking on an invisible balance beam.

She's an alien inviso-gymnast. Double secret.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh god, it's going to end up like the Blade of the Immortal anime.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
drat, all three of them got savaged by the style change. If this is indicative of the final quality the anime will work as an ad for the manga and nothing more. That would be depressing.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Desuwa posted:

drat, all three of them got savaged by the style change. If this is indicative of the final quality the anime will work as an ad for the manga and nothing more. That would be depressing.

Please do remember that the last anime to own the Awesome Faces Award had this as a preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Me4kPfwZjg

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The website's up with staff info, if any of you guys are better than I am at Japanese.

http://jitsuwata.tv/

e: Alternitavely you can check it's AnimeNewsNetwork page where other people have done all the work for me.

The voice actors are all from shows I've never watched so no comment.
Shiragami: Yu Serizawa
Aizawa: Inori Minase
Shiho: Aya Uchida
I'm a bit surprised our main character doesn't get a voice credit, but I guess that's to be expected.

Character design is Hirotaka Marufuji, who seems most involved with Macross F and Nobunaga the Fool.
Animation is being handled by TMS Entertainment, who appear to do a whole lot of kids stuff?
I dunno the anime industry outside the big names.

Japanese comments on blogs are mostly "I don't know about that character design", "TMS Entertainment?", and hilariously on more than one occasion, "Thank god it's not Studio Deen".

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 21, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm really disappointed that Kana Asumi isn't voicing anyone so far, I thought she'd be a great fit for like half the characters.
Also:

dublish posted:

That is not the sexy pose we have come to know and love.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty okay with Aizawa being voiced by Great Mazinger, all things considered.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Also there's a guy on twitter noting that it's possible to abbreviate the title JHWH, meaning that this is clearly Jehovah's Witness propaganda.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

buzmeg posted:

Please do remember that the last anime to own the Awesome Faces Award had this as a preview:

Wow. Never saw this trailer before, but it could have cooled me down on Part Timer and that would have been a loving shame.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Terper posted:

it's awful is what it is

I'd say I'm surprised but I'm not. They made the cast look "normal" instead of the slightly cartoonish look they would get after the first couple of chapters.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014

buzmeg posted:

Wow never saw that before. It makes me feel a little better though, part timer is awesome.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Terper posted:

it's awful is what it is

Not a shovel or a hammer 0/10 do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

Not a shovel or a hammer 0/10 do it again.

Don't wanna give away the real advanced alien technology right from the get-go.

Also, I just noticed, but she's got a rifle with her external body, which I don't think we've ever seen before?

• Locked thread