Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
can a chinese person be racist against himself eg. a bunch of chinese highschool kids calling each other chinks to try and be cool, is that racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
im sorry for taht snipe :negative:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DaNzA posted:

can a chinese person be racist against himself eg. a bunch of chinese highschool kids calling each other chinks to try and be cool, is that racist?

i think it's only racist if a white person sees it, like a schroedinger thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

don't get me wrong the 40 foot height limit sucks but there's no joke five high rise apartment buildings under construction now, the problem is that they're all clustered in SOMA. If the rest of the city could do 5-7 stories instead of 3 it would be IMO a better way to grow

even better would be to require 10+ stories on all new construction, zoned for mixed retail-office-residential, with both rent control and low-income set-asides on the latter.

never happen but it'd be the most humane and greenest thing the city could do.

on the other end of the Peninsula (Campbell) we have NIMBY idiots freaking out about 4+ story apartment buildings and plans for building 900 new housing units through 2020 just ruining their beautiful suburbia because "they didn't want to live in the city."

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

there's a lot of super turbo nimby "neighborhood associations" that, thanks to the fact that they all bought their places more than 20 years ago, have basically infinite lawyer money to block anything that they think would change their neighborhood one bit

people are trying to bring these to other parts of the peninsula, it sucks and I want to fight them.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

everybody in allegheny county claims to live "in pittsburgh."

if that kind of claim resulted in a bill for city income tax then maybe Pittsburgh might be a nicer city

tons of my classmates at CMU were all about "if you stay in the area, be sure to live outside city limits, you don't want to pay city income tax." uh, why not? social contract, motherfuckers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

on the other end of the Peninsula (Campbell) we have NIMBY idiots freaking out about 4+ story apartment buildings and plans for building 900 new housing units through 2020 just ruining their beautiful suburbia because "they didn't want to live in the city."

yeah, I'm looking for a place in MPK right now and feeling some hate for the city planners

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Are you telling me that these Angry Birds Star Wars Fruit Gummies are somehow not having a positive impact on their brand

isn't each one a little bite of brand activation?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Smythe posted:

polyarmory is fail just ask our friend dead inside dawrin

oh gently caress now i need to find out what this is about

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Moist von Lipwig posted:

oh gently caress now i need to find out what this is about

i think it was a tori backstory to explain the hole he punched in the wall next to his garbage pile

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

literally living a tin can in a toxic waste dump among billionaires thinking he's going to make it because he can hack together a lovely 'crowdsourcing' website: welcome to out cyberpunk dystopia folks.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I've found the perfect way to make every single person happy in SF:

1) build a ton of housing, say, 10 stories, small apartments, whatever.
2) give it an exclusive name and cater exclusively to the tech bubble workers (3d printers instead of a gym, a service that emails you your real mail for "free", etc)
3) wait until it is fully populated by google and uber and whatever employees
4) lock all the doors and fill the building with poison gas
5) clear out the bodies and the idiot junk
6) Claim it was a malfunction of some service but they are open again and why don't you come and live here
7) repeat until the bay area is cool again

everybody who would not be happy about the idea would already be dead, therefore everybody is happy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hipster rv parks. ironic dive bar on the corner, whole foods within walking distance. fast internet, laundry service, dispensary down the street.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Wild EEPROM posted:

2) give it an exclusive name and cater exclusively to the tech bubble workers (3d printers instead of a gym, a service that emails you your real mail for "free", etc)
6) Claim it was a malfunction of some service but they are open again and why don't you come and live here

everybody who would not be happy about the idea would already be dead, therefore everybody is happy

:agreed:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Jonny 290 posted:

hipster rv parks. ironic dive bar on the corner, whole foods within walking distance. fast internet, laundry service, dispensary down the street.

no joke, this would work in Austin. Have an 'community review board' like they have for co-ops so you have to interview before you can park your R.V. there (only the hipsters are allowed, not for real poors).

also, all my Chinese friends are super racists, even to other chinese but especially to black people. Thanks US media!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

east palo alto's grim future

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vodkat posted:

literally living a tin can in a toxic waste dump among billionaires thinking he's going to make it because he can hack together a lovely 'crowdsourcing' website: welcome to out cyberpunk dystopia folks.

this stopped being an insightful comment about five years into our cyberpunk dystopia

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wild EEPROM posted:

You can eliminate steps 5-7 by using their scanned mail to steal their identities and underpay people in India to telecommute and make it seem like they never died and are simply very happy in their new apartment. Use the remaining amounts in their bank accounts to fund research on expert systems to accomplish this purpose, and eventually you will have autonomous AI collective highrise tombs pretending to be immortal and very satisfied tech bros

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I went to disney with my dad and I lol every time i see the HOUSE OF THE FUTURE and the robot family plays a video game from 1996 on a rear-projection TV with 6 foot tall vertical speakers and they talk about laserdiscs and "back when you didn't even have a carphone" and all the electronics are matte gray

at least they finally took out the Power Mac 9600 from the set

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

eschaton posted:

Foster City is struggling with this. My friends bitch about the cost of a house there (lol 1.2 million for a two bedroom townhouse) but because the schools are so great here, and there was some undeveloped land everyone is building dense as gently caress housing (gotta get top dolla).

So everyone is bitching because the schools are overcrowded because the only reason THEY bought was because the schools were good and their kids are getting bused out to shittier schools.

Also, my wife was REALLY keen on buying a house on the penisula until we watched the only season of Holmes on Homes on netflix. Now she looks at the year the house was built and she goes 'what the gently caress, there's no way that home from 1943, asking 850,000, has anything good left, unless they gutted it but they're not going to sell to someone who asks to see permits'.

Friend of mine just pulled out of a place near walnut creek because the inspector found all kinds of problems with the 1950s house plumbing and asbestos in the crawlspace, etc. They found another house on the same street, open house this past sunday, they toured on teusday, their agent told them the house already had three offers, one was an as-is offer (no inspection, no nothing) and another was $100,000 over asking price.

We loving need zorin to cause that superquake + flooding + another dotbomb so I can afford a place for my family.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

You can eliminate steps 5-7 by using their scanned mail to steal their identities and underpay people in India to telecommute and make it seem like they never died and are simply very happy in their new apartment. Use the remaining amounts in their bank accounts to fund research on expert systems to accomplish this purpose, and eventually you will have autonomous AI collective highrise tombs pretending to be immortal and very satisfied tech bros

please don't share my elaborate automated social security scam for retirement villages

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

this sounds like a PKD novel

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Smythe posted:

polyarmory is fail just ask our friend dead inside dawrin

DARWINS DRYWALL CRUSHER

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I went to disney with my dad and I lol every time i see the HOUSE OF THE FUTURE and the robot family plays a video game from 1996 on a rear-projection TV with 6 foot tall vertical speakers and they talk about laserdiscs and "back when you didn't even have a carphone" and all the electronics are matte gray

at least they finally took out the Power Mac 9600 from the set

the sony museum was similarly a disappointment to me as a kid

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this stopped being an insightful comment about five years into our cyberpunk dystopia

whatever, it bears repeating when the quotes just blatantly hand it to you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

eschaton posted:

people are trying to bring these to other parts of the peninsula, it sucks and I want to fight them.

it's easy to fight them, molotov cocktails are pretty cheap

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

eschaton posted:

if that kind of claim resulted in a bill for city income tax then maybe Pittsburgh might be a nicer city

tons of my classmates at CMU were all about "if you stay in the area, be sure to live outside city limits, you don't want to pay city income tax." uh, why not? social contract, motherfuckers.

There are 212 different municipalities in this county. Whhhhyy

(Also I bought in the city, the surrounding communities have such high property taxes that you're better off with Pittsburgh's 3% wage tax until you're making over $200k versus taxes on a $150k house)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pittsburgh's 3% wage tax until you're making over $200k

hahah thats progressive as gently caress compared to denver's

If any employee performs work in the city limits and is paid over $500 for that work in a single month, the employee and employer are both liable for the OPT regardless of where the main business office is located or headquartered.
The employer is liable for $4 per employee per month and the employee is liable for $5.75 per month.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, my wife was REALLY keen on buying a house on the penisula until we watched the only season of Holmes on Homes on netflix. Now she looks at the year the house was built and she goes 'what the gently caress, there's no way that home from 1943, asking 850,000, has anything good left, unless they gutted it but they're not going to sell to someone who asks to see permits'.

Friend of mine just pulled out of a place near walnut creek because the inspector found all kinds of problems with the 1950s house plumbing and asbestos in the crawlspace, etc. They found another house on the same street, open house this past sunday, they toured on teusday, their agent told them the house already had three offers, one was an as-is offer (no inspection, no nothing) and another was $100,000 over asking price.

the as-is and cash-offers buying culture seems to be everywhere within thirty minutes of the south bay. thankfully when we were looking it hadn't gotten to SF yet. tactically low asking prices were/are the norm, so we still paid about $my_parents_house over the asking price (exactly matching another offer) and didn't have a ton of negotiating leverage, but the idea of buying a house as-is is just ridiculous to me. i guess worst case you estimate the cost of rebuilding from scratch and make a risk/reward judgment

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

theflyingexecutive posted:

the sony museum was similarly a disappointment to me as a kid

I'm still mad they took out the VIDEO GAMES OF THE FUTURE (Sega Dreamcasts)

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the as-is and cash-offers buying culture seems to be everywhere within thirty minutes of the south bay. thankfully when we were looking it hadn't gotten to SF yet. tactically low asking prices were/are the norm, so we still paid about $my_parents_house over the asking price (exactly matching another offer) and didn't have a ton of negotiating leverage, but the idea of buying a house as-is is just ridiculous to me. i guess worst case you estimate the cost of rebuilding from scratch and make a risk/reward judgment

on that Holmes show, one of the houses basically had $150,000 worth of work done do it just to bring it up to code. Then you see places like Hoodwinked House. Now my wife only want to buy a place built within the last ten years but LOL I don't have $200,000 cash for a down payment on a house. prolly gonna rent for lyfe until we get fed up and move to concord or convince work to let me move to LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iILCSKkPxfM

Optimus_Rhyme fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 21, 2015

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

on that Holmes show, one of the houses basically had $150,000 worth of work done do it just to bring it up to code. Then you see places like Hoodwinked House. Now my wife only want to buy a place built within the last ten years but LOL I don't have $200,000 cash for a down payment on a house. prolly gonna rent for lyfe until we get fed up and move to concord or convince work to let me move to LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iILCSKkPxfM

200k is pretty close to what you need for a down payment on a 850k house. Well 170k I guess but at that point it's not a big difference

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you don't have six figures of cash sitting in your bank account just lol

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

mishaq posted:

this but unironically.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mishaq posted:

i've got five and a half. almost there

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
wait, this hoodwinked house thing, this guy hired an inspector who didn't look for the emergency gas shutoff valve? and there was new drywall everywhere with no recent permits? and nobody was at all concerned at any point in this process?

i mean, yes, deceptive practices, fraud, regulation, legal recourse, okay, alright. but if the house was obviously recently renovated and there are no permits for work then maybe you should find a buyer's inspector who is not drunk on the job

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how much money has he spent now? i bet he got donations
i bet he could have razed the house, bought the next lot, flattened that house, combined the lots, and built a new house with the money and time he's thrown down a expanding-foam-lined-broken-PVC drain inside this one.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah hes an idiot who also got hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

also his loving website has the latest item at the bottom with "infinite scrolling"

• Locked thread