Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, I have a new problem. I extended the freeway and built a new little residential/commercial district around it. Only problem is...

That stretch of freeway instantly became the most highly trafficked area in the entire city, and I don't even understand why. The new district is not that cool, but pretty much everyone in that huge conga line of cars is going into it. Do I need some sort of better interchange than the diamond one I've got down there?
It's because you've used non-Euclidean geometry in building your freeway and now all your citizens are making a beeline to be devoured by one of the Elder Gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

The Deadly Hume posted:

It's because you've used non-Euclidean geometry in building your freeway and now all your citizens are making a beeline to be devoured by one of the Elder Gods

That would explain the rift in reality that appears to have opened up underneath the highway... :ohdear:

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
I live in Sarasota County FL, where they've been going crazy with roundabouts lately. This two mile stretch of road recently got six put in, and on top of that, they're now just about to start working on a Diverging Diamond Interchange, the first in the state - and the video of it looks like it's straight out of Cities: Skylines. I don't even know what's real anymore.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

tehsid posted:

Don't forget to cross promote!

There has been a very mild form of cross-promotion going on. I used Amihailu's icon for branding on the TumyPop snack machines:

But I've left the flavourtext intentionally vague so people can come up with their own ideas for why foreign companies are trying so hard to hawk products in their towns. I'm doing not-Korea first and then it will be not-Ukraine's stuff (followed by not-UK/India).

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

simosimo posted:

Is there a lighter 3D model viewer though? Loading up the game and the asset editor just to check things takes about 5 minutes which is AGES when you're sitting there. No reason it takes so long for an empty map.

I'm an open book at the minute, going to spend all weekend learning this crap. I'm struggling to learn because tutorials and YT vids are all fragmented bits and pieces of many processes.

I dunno what you mean by model viewer. 3DS is model viewer. A common thing I see is setting up a scene in the 3D editor with some other models for scale, so you could get that going. Also, you can load your models into photoshop (CS3+??) and see the changes to your texture or paint directly on your models.

Don't be discouraged. Learning materials on this stuff really is as lovely as you are finding. I hear from friend that payed for videos might be better.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Sillybones posted:

Don't be discouraged. Learning materials on this stuff really is as lovely as you are finding. I hear from friend that payed for videos might be better.

I'm hanging in there :) ! Frustrating that the 'hardest' part for most people is probably making good textures, which is a breeze for me. But this crap is like learning how to use the internet for old people I imagine, just don't get it.

What I meant above was before I got my textures to view in 3DS (I had to make the mapped texture a material and drag it onto the mesh) The Auto generated map from the sketchup materials is garbage as it distorts / makes them low rez. So I really need to learn it properly. Still, glad I got a textured model into the game!

1. Sketchup material mapped model.

2. 3DS' generated texture map, distorted and horrible (and very bad apparently!)Considering in sketchup the model only uses 3-4 materials topps. There's no need for all those little strips right?!

3. 3DS with said texture map applied successfully.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 21, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, I have a new problem. I extended the freeway and built a new little residential/commercial district around it. Only problem is...

That stretch of freeway instantly became the most highly trafficked area in the entire city, and I don't even understand why. The new district is not that cool, but pretty much everyone in that huge conga line of cars is going into it. Do I need some sort of better interchange than the diamond one I've got down there?

Is it possible that they're all just using that diamond to turn around? Check your other interchanges and make sure that traffic coming on to the highway can actually head off in the other direction.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jabor posted:

Is it possible that they're all just using that diamond to turn around? Check your other interchanges and make sure that traffic coming on to the highway can actually head off in the other direction.

Nope, they're definitely going into the district on the top/right there. I checked with the pathing tool mod. Anyway, I replaced that entire thing with a roundabout now, but...

Cars in this game don't know how to roundabout. Large or small, they keep getting stuck at traffic lights for absolutely no reason. A smaller one removes the traffic lights so they actually flow better, but that's not enough to handle the volume and they still refuse to cut across the inner ring.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Are most of those guys "moving in"? I've noticed you can get pretty crazy rushes of traffic when you zone a big area of high density residential, especially if there's a bottleneck to get into the area.

It might just sort itself out sooner or later.

That said, it looks like there's a light onto a major through road right after a short exit, so it might take a long time to clear up, even if that's the case. It might be worth it to build a higher capacity highway access.

Edit:

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Cars in this game don't know how to roundabout. Large or small, they keep getting stuck at traffic lights for absolutely no reason. A smaller one removes the traffic lights so they actually flow better, but that's not enough to handle the volume and they still refuse to cut across the inner ring.
Never use six lane one ways for roundabouts- they'll fill with lights, which is dumb. Use highway for your highest capacity roundabouts.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 21, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

They're all going there to shop, according to the inspector. That's not even the densest commercial district in the city, but for some reason everyone has to flock down there to buy their meat shoes instead of the ones actually closer to where they live.

E: This is what it's like now, conga line included.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty sure you should go with a lightless round about at that first intersection in the city would probably help.

Also, you assholes made me buy this poo poo on Thursday... at first I thought it was a lovely game... now I can't get enough of this poo poo... god drat it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

simosimo posted:

I'm hanging in there :) ! Frustrating that the 'hardest' part for most people is probably making good textures, which is a breeze for me. But this crap is like learning how to use the internet for old people I imagine, just don't get it.

What I meant above was before I got my textures to view in 3DS (I had to make the mapped texture a material and drag it onto the mesh) The Auto generated map from the sketchup materials is garbage as it distorts / makes them low rez. So I really need to learn it properly. Still, glad I got a textured model into the game!

1. Sketchup material mapped model.

2. 3DS' generated texture map, distorted and horrible (and very bad apparently!)Considering in sketchup the model only uses 3-4 materials topps. There's no need for all those little strips right?!

3. 3DS with said texture map applied successfully.

2. That's because you're using an auto unwrap. The way textures are applied in sketchup and the way they're applied in a game are completely different. In SU you just fill a polygon with a single texture while in a game, the polygons have to be mapped onto a texture. You can get away with repositioning the polygons so they're overlapping on one area, like if you want them all to show the same wood texture but that's not usually how it's done since you'll end up with flat colouring.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

SynthOrange posted:

2. That's because you're using an auto unwrap. The way textures are applied in sketchup and the way they're applied in a game are completely different. In SU you just fill a polygon with a single texture while in a game, the polygons have to be mapped onto a texture. You can get away with repositioning the polygons so they're overlapping on one area, like if you want them all to show the same wood texture but that's not usually how it's done since you'll end up with flat colouring.

I can already see it's terrible way to do it. For such a simple object (basically a modified cube!) there's way to many parts on the texture and it would be impossible to adjust. Even a slightly more complex object would be a mess.

Just to say I did a model, I upgraded the low rez texture with some higher rez bits. I had to take the flat map and magic wand tool EACH segment and paste the texture into each layer. What a mess. Still, GREAT to texture a model from scratch.

All of those wooden strips! Impossible to nudge if you didn't have a saved Psd of the texture.

Now I need to create a single map by myself (basically 4 textures on a 1024x1024 tile) and apply that to the faces manually on my object of choice.

I think I say the same thing every post?

So a UV map, is the flat texture right? What are the actual plotted points called where the modelling program is drawing this single texture from. UV wrap? Want to get my terminology right.

That's the process I need, the pointing the plots of my single texture. I need a rest.

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 21, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

All right, I think I managed to finagle it into a pretty good spot.

First of all, the roundabout is now highway. Thanks for the suggestion, that got rid of all the traffic lights. I removed the intersection directly after the roundabout to force people to spread out a little more. I think the new train line is what really did it though. Trains are great.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Okay, dumb question time. If I get a custom growable building from workshop, and turns out it's actually not as great as in workshop's screenshots, can I just delete the asset and load the map again? Will poo poo break?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Friction posted:

Okay, dumb question time. If I get a custom growable building from workshop, and turns out it's actually not as great as in workshop's screenshots, can I just delete the asset and load the map again? Will poo poo break?

Last time I removed a growable mod (one of the rehashed residentials with trees) my map plain refused to load.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Forestry and farming is totally realistic and not at all over powered.

The farms in the second pic used to be basically a superfund site.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

simosimo posted:

I can already see it's terrible way to do it. For such a simple object (basically a modified cube!) there's way to many parts on the texture and it would be impossible to adjust. Even a slightly more complex object would be a mess.

Just to say I did a model, I upgraded the low rez texture with some higher rez bits. I had to take the flat map and magic wand tool EACH segment and paste the texture into each layer. What a mess. Still, GREAT to texture a model from scratch.

All of those wooden strips! Impossible to nudge if you didn't have a saved Psd of the texture.

Now I need to create a single map by myself (basically 4 textures on a 1024x1024 tile) and apply that to the faces manually on my object of choice.

I think I say the same thing every post?

So a UV map, is the flat texture right? What are the actual plotted points called where the modelling program is drawing this single texture from. UV wrap? Want to get my terminology right.

That's the process I need, the pointing the plots of my single texture. I need a rest.

The plotted points are called the uv map or the uv coordinates. The flat texture is called a texture map. You need to get a good uv mapping for games tutorial.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

maniacdevnull posted:

Forestry and farming is totally realistic and not at all over powered.

The farms in the second pic used to be basically a superfund site.

Wait, do Forestry and farming reduce pollution ?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fishstick posted:

Wait, do Forestry and farming reduce pollution ?

They don't produce any more pollution, don't know of the existing pollution disappeared over time or if the farm actually sucked it up.

But still, I feel like 'wedged between a highway' is a bad spot for forestry, and downtown might not be the best place for a farm.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Yes, this is where offices go in normal cities.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

They don't produce any more pollution, don't know of the existing pollution disappeared over time or if the farm actually sucked it up.

But still, I feel like 'wedged between a highway' is a bad spot for forestry, and downtown might not be the best place for a farm.

Don't they still cause as much noise pollution (a lot) as other industry? That can and will make your cims sick if it gets too high. But yeah farms and even more forestry are dumb in this game.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
This building has caught on fire twice since I've been working on the raised pedestrian paths in the area. The woman in purple with the red purse has been up on the roof both times. If anyone has any tips or information about the whereabouts of this woman, please call 1-888-cim-HOTline.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kefkafloyd posted:

Just finished my map of Lowell. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411145090 Only drag? Couldn't fit a shipping lane in the Merrimack, it's too narrow. Alas.

However, I was able to fully construct this monstrosity to about its actual scale. Every movement from MA 110, US 3, Lowell Connector, and I-495 is possible, complete with the collector/distributor.

You say monstrosity, I say traffic saver. I've only taken the wrong exit a few times in my life and that includes four years of living south on 495, going to school down the Connector, and working south on 3. It's easy to forget where you mean to be going. I tried making Nashua, NH, but the water is a PITA. Do you basically just ignore anything that's not a river? I was trying to add the Nashua river and the Merrimack, but the Merrimack stopped flowing a little north of the border and I was too lazy to edit the height maps (again).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Can someone explain to me why my city has buildings burning down literally ten meters down the road from a fire station that had zero engines in use?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

Can someone explain to me why my city has buildings burning down literally ten meters down the road from a fire station that had zero engines in use?

One way streets?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

The simulation is occasionally stupid and may decide that the fire station 20 miles across town should respond to your emergency instead of the one next door.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kedo posted:

The protesters at city hall in SC2013 served a good purpose as well. That was one feature of the game I actually liked a lot. At any time I could cruise over to city hall and say, "oh, there are no protesters, things must be going pretty well!" or "oh, these guys are protesting lack of jobs/schools/parks, maybe I should do something," or whatever.

Tweeter does something similar I suppose, but it's so cluttered up with filler that it doesn't work quite as well as a notification system for when you've let something slip. I've only been playing for a few days, but I already hit escape automatically whenever I hear it go off.

This would be nice. I find myself missing stuff from SC4. That game had a huge variety of buildings, especially parks and recreational buildings of all sizes. I'm really hankering for a stadium, and a 1x1 sized park.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You can turn off chirper's auto-popup, which at least means you don't have to keep closing the window.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mr. Powers posted:

You say monstrosity, I say traffic saver. I've only taken the wrong exit a few times in my life and that includes four years of living south on 495, going to school down the Connector, and working south on 3. It's easy to forget where you mean to be going. I tried making Nashua, NH, but the water is a PITA. Do you basically just ignore anything that's not a river? I was trying to add the Nashua river and the Merrimack, but the Merrimack stopped flowing a little north of the border and I was too lazy to edit the height maps (again).

By "monstrosity" I was referring only to its scale, not its usefulness. Trust me, I live within spitting distance of it and I drive Route 3 to work every day. All we need now is someone to make a Market Basket custom building along with the Wang Towers and we can really get going.

I would rather commute on Route 3 than Route 128 any day. I did that for three months and it was torture. Route 3 is basically the best/newest designed freeway in the entire state since they rebuilt it entirely in 2004 and the speed limit is STILL 55. The road can even be widened to four lanes per carriageway stupid easily because all of the bridges were built for four lanes of traffic and the roadbed is graded for four lanes, even though the road is only paved for three.

Water is indeed a PITA. Water sources affect both the water table and the flow of rivers. My Pittsfield map is having a bit of trouble because I'm trying to dial in all the water sources appropriately and the hilly terrain combined with the lakes is making it tough. The Housatonic river is flooding right where it usually does, around Waconah Park. Trying to dial in the flow of water is a real pain. Remember that water sources can act both as flows and drains, depending on their elevation and capacity. The game really wants your rivers to start at a higher elevation and drain downwards, but with sources that go outside the map this gets troublesome quickly.

If you look up my post earlier about overlaying a map on top of the heightmap in PS, you can draw in the rivers and other small bodies of water at a lower elevation by tracing and then tweak them in the game. Drawing in small streams may be more effort than it's worth, but any decent sized river (c.f. the Concord River on that map of Lowell) can easily be drawn in with a two pixel brush and still be plenty visible and useful. I freehanded the Chicopee and Westfield rivers in the Springfield map, and they're a bit off, though I don't think anyone will really care. For the Lowell map I drew in the rivers in PS and it took half the time to terraform the map. I spent all the time making the interchange, since it was my first real try at doing a complex interchange.

Speaking of complex freeway-freeway interchanges, is there any benefit or disadvantage to making the splits using Highways instead of ramps? There's really no in-between, it's either a one-lane ramp or a three lane split.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 21, 2015

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Are there any mods that help you make pretty grids and such? I am really bad at that.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

beerinator posted:

One way streets?

I learned that lesson and now place a fire station at the entrance of every one way street, but it still happens, and even in normal two-way streets.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

Last time I removed a growable mod (one of the rehashed residentials with trees) my map plain refused to load.

I removed basically all of the residential re-skins and all that happened was it cut my load times.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

Could also be, if you've only recently built that fire station, that it still needs to recruit firemen. I had the same problem for a while but it started operating in the end, and I'm guessing that's why that was.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

I learned that lesson and now place a fire station at the entrance of every one way street, but it still happens, and even in normal two-way streets.

Yeah, I've noticed that the fire department in this is particularly bad at doing their job. I can have city blocks where there are more firemen than people working, and poo poo is still on fire all the time or burnt down. I have fire stations on literally every street in one block, but that does not stop there being burnt out husks littered all the way down it. Either buildings are burning too quickly for the game to manage to serve them, or the fire dept is just too inept at doing what it is supposed to do. I can crank their funding all the way up (one of the few services constantly running at 150% in my city, next to buses) and there are still significant fire issues.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
My desktop can't really handle this game and I have a new laptop that can so I tried steam in-home streaming, but the desktop just displays the mouse cursor on a black screen. Any idea how to fix this? It'd be nice to play this on the bigger better screen.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I know people are still wanting some proper high-tech industrial prefabs. But what about sweatshops??? Favela??

Subyng
May 4, 2013
It probably wouldn't be difficult to make a child labour mod.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I feel like most of my problems with hearse AI (and trash but I have a way bigger problem with hearses) could be solved if I could restrict a graveyard or crematorium to only pick up from its local district. They will go all the way across town when there are a half dozen closer crematoriums, leaving bodies down the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

I know people are still wanting some proper high-tech industrial prefabs. But what about sweatshops??? Favela??

tbh I'd really like to be able to make a high-density-but-not-really-high-rise slum city.