Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PSN is having a flash sale and for the vita I see

Megaman X4
Megaman X5

Either of these worth picking up? I don't like overly hard megaman games

And I can only assume Dead Nation is a must

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

PSN is having a flash sale and for the vita I see

Megaman X4
Megaman X5

Either of these worth picking up? I don't like overly hard megaman games

And I can only assume Dead Nation is a must

I don't know about the vita ports, but both X4 and X5 are solid. If you're only going for one, I'd go with X4.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
So WRT Kojima, how likely is it now he pulls an Inafune and funds his own games off Kickstarter?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Trochanter posted:

So WRT Kojima, how likely is it now he pulls an Inafune and funds his own games off Kickstarter?
I would be surprised if Sony or some other publisher didn't hire him on the spot. Kojima is a rather big name in the industry after all.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trochanter posted:

What would he promise? What would he deliver?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
DeNa is that awful company that plagues the play store with their garbage along with, what, mobage and the clash of clans people, right? Why is Nintendo's way-late entry into mobile with the meth dealer of mobile publishers? They're going to jump headfirst into the crystal, not even going to try and hand out candy first?

Also the Kojima thing is nuts. Taking his name off everything is silly too, do they have enough time to gently caress with the game a lot? I can't imagine the game is something you wouldn't want his name as a buffer zone fore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Khanstant posted:

DeNa is that awful company that plagues the play store with their garbage along with, what, mobage and the clash of clans people, right? Why is Nintendo's way-late entry into mobile with the meth dealer of mobile publishers? They're going to jump headfirst into the crystal, not even going to try and hand out candy first?
DeNA owns Mobage.

Khanstant posted:

Also the Kojima thing is nuts. Taking his name off everything is silly too, do they have enough time to gently caress with the game a lot? I can't imagine the game is something you wouldn't want his name as a buffer zone fore.
The game's near the end of development, but it's in what they describe as a crucial stage - linking everything that's been made together, final debugging and QA, etc... I doubt that Konami will inject too much executive screwery into the final release, but there's some serious concern that Metal Gear Online won't get as much support as hoped.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
What I think is strange is that Konami's doing this as a way of, what, trying to hurt Kojima's image or something? Like, obviously their other industries aren't going to be affected by this at all, but they haven't really been the most popular with the games crowd after loving up Silent Hill so many times over and turning Castlevania into whatever it is now (is it character action?), but Kojima was their only really big talent, and alienating him just doesn't make any sense to me.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Anime Curator posted:

What would he promise? What would he deliver?

Star Citizen: Zone of the Enders Edition

What would he deliver? Ahahahaha

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Gaming indecision: I want to buy Space Hulk: Ascension, because I'm in a bit of a 40k kick having played DoW2 for a bit and reading the Ciaphus Cain novels. But for the same price I can get the Cities game that I know I'll like to play at some point, but I don't really want to right now.

Basically, Space Hulk is the game the manchild in me wants to play because its Flashy and Exciting, but Cities is the game the grown-up in me will like.
Space hulk is bad and for a ton of reasons, primarily it's boring because they changed a bunch of rules and bolted on an RPG system. The prev game was a lovely port of the board game but it least it's a port. This one you just upgrade your chars for more action points and destroy the careful system balance while overwatching to the exit. It's poo poo and sucks. Also nothing is documented in their "manual" like how many AP genestealers get or that they can now move diagonal. New weapons are overpowered.

UI issues, no undo button when you click the wrong thing because of lovely UI, no tactical map and everything is too dark, it was a serious disappointment when all I wanted was for them to tighten up the previous game. Maps come in two types, get to this waypoint or survive for x turns. Survival just means go on overwatch and flush heat and mash next turn because this game is dumb and broken. Waypoint means book it in 3 turns because your chars all have 8AP each.

Buy skylines

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 21, 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

On the other hand a lot of the good stuff in the MGS games came from him having so many resources at his disposal that he could make people dedicate a lot of time to goofy poo poo like melting ice cube simulations and recognizing when you ate a vulture that had eaten human flesh, if he goes indie we're probably gonna lose a lot of that.

this

Bicyclops posted:

The thing I really liked about the Wii one was whenever the bad genital monsters showed up, you just had to loving run. sometimes you could like, find a way to freeze one of them or something, but there was no way to murder the weird, metaphorical mind creatures. The mechanics behind it were not spectacularly fleshed out, but I feel like if more people would experiment with it, they could do some neat stuff

and this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way the monsters transformed based on your psych stuff was pretty cool but they put way way too much sex-psych-level-increasing stuff in there so it was easy to end up with sexy everything if you just stopped to look around a bit. Shattered Memories isn't really a great game because the puzzles are mind-numbingly simple and, like someone else said, there is a very defined line between "I should be scared now" and "I should feel safe now", but it brought forward a lot of interesting ideas and did some creative stuff.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I've been playing through the NES Megaman games in order and I just started Megaman 6 after beating 1-5. And the games are really starting to suck now.

Like I would say half of the NES megaman games are pretty bad, because not only do they re-use poo poo, it's the same game over and over and over and over. And not only that they're filled with a ton of bullshit obstacles.

I really have to wonder why the carts go for so much on the secondary market. Because I can see that they stopped Making Megaman games for a very good reason.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Mega Man is hella good and I wish they'd kept making them forever. They did peak with 2 and 3 but the rest still own

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

I've been playing through the NES Megaman games in order and I just started Megaman 6 after beating 1-5. And the games are really starting to suck now.

Like I would say half of the NES megaman games are pretty bad, because not only do they re-use poo poo, it's the same game over and over and over and over. And not only that they're filled with a ton of bullshit obstacles.

I really have to wonder why the carts go for so much on the secondary market. Because I can see that they stopped Making Megaman games for a very good reason.
TAINT REAPED AGAIN

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Megaman series definitely has some design issues, especially the later games, but you have to consider what a breath of fresh air they were on the NES. So many platformers would just roadblock you or force you to play the same content over and over until you memorized it. With Megaman, you could experience most of the game without necessarily being able to beat the bosses, or go on to other levels if you get stuck. It made them way more fun to play than many other games at the time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Megaman series definitely has some design issues, especially the later games, but you have to consider what a breath of fresh air they were on the NES. So many platformers would just roadblock you or force you to play the same content over and over until you memorized it. With Megaman, you could experience most of the game without necessarily being able to beat the bosses, or go on to other levels if you get stuck. It made them way more fun to play than many other games at the time.

Outside of the non-linear type of play for the first half of the game. The Second half of every single megaman game for the NES will roadblock you at the castle if you can't beat the boss or complete the obstacle. All it does is delay it.

That and the overwhelming majority of platformers for the NES that were poo poo tier awful were all based on other properties. I've played through and beaten Fox's Peter Pan and the Pirates and it's worse than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
If there's one thing I've learned it's that you should never try doing a full series playthrough of Mega Man because of how similar so many Mega Man games are. Burns you the gently caress out and you inevitably just stop enjoying it, regardless of if they're good or poo poo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Colonel posted:

If there's one thing I've learned it's that you should never try doing a full series playthrough of Mega Man because of how similar so many Mega Man games are. Burns you the gently caress out and you inevitably just stop enjoying it, regardless of if they're good or poo poo.

Yeah they bleed together that's why I couldn't be sure what ones I had beaten originally other than megaman 1. Because I started Friday and am up to MM6 today.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

Outside of the non-linear type of play for the first half of the game. The Second half of every single megaman game for the NES will roadblock you at the castle if you can't beat the boss or complete the obstacle. All it does is delay it.

yeah gently caress that game that requires you to be good to beat it.

who does that?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah gently caress that game that requires you to be good to beat it.

who does that?

Metal Saga is an RPG where you can start a fresh game and get the ending within 5 minutes before you're even out of the tutorial section.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

Metal Saga is an RPG where you can start a fresh game and get the ending within 5 minutes before you're even out of the tutorial section.

sounds like a japanese fallout 1. good poo poo.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

It's not half the game though, the Wily sections are usually like 1/4 of the game. It's still pretty cool that even someone who is really bad at Megaman can see 8 distinct stages without requiring the entire game to be dumbed down so much that there's no challenge for the rest of us

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Adam Bowen posted:

It's not half the game though, the Wily sections are usually like 1/4 of the game. It's still pretty cool that even someone who is really bad at Megaman can see 8 distinct stages without requiring the entire game to be dumbed down so much that there's no challenge for the rest of us

Not really, the end level stages for Megaman 5 total to 8..

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah but even when there's a lot of them they tend to be pretty short

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

If you're a REAL gamer, click here right now

no casuals or mobile gamers allowed

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ah Finally a videogame ship with a large enough cargo bay that can store all my videogame anime blu-rays.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Star Citizen is terrible, but I'm gonna be honest, I'm really jealous of Roberts for realising that you can make infinite money off lovely nerds forever just by drawing an imaginary spaceship every week or so and letting people order it for absurd prices in a game that doesn't exist.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nostalgic nerds are extremely gullible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Star Citizen is terrible, but I'm gonna be honest, I'm really jealous of Roberts for realising that you can make infinite money off lovely nerds forever just by drawing an imaginary spaceship every week or so and letting people order it for absurd prices in a game that doesn't exist.

I also sometimes wish I was equal parts cunning and sociopathic, I'd be so rich and happy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the Mega Man games are mostly pretty good for what they are, but I found mega man 8 to be kind of insufferable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

the Mega Man games are mostly pretty good for what they are, but I found mega man 8 to be kind of insufferable.

Same. I also hate mega man and bass, despite liking the core idea.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bicyclops posted:

Dr Light being voiced a drunk, line-flubbing Elmer Fudd was really funny at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWbgBp5PQg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

one of the major flaws of all of the Mega Man games is that it is difficult not to side with Dr. Wily over Dr. Light, and you wish poor Mega Man would wake up and join his true master.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

chumbler posted:

I don't know about the vita ports, but both X4 and X5 are solid. If you're only going for one, I'd go with X4.

How difficult are they?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

one of the major flaws of all of the Mega Man games is that it is difficult not to side with Dr. Wily over Dr. Light, and you wish poor Mega Man would wake up and join his true master.
This is basically Zero's plot in the X series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I only played up to X3. I remember being very proud that i could beat mega Man X without losing a life until I realized my arthritic grandmother probably also could have, given a couple of hours.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Turns out Zero was built by Dr. Wily and is source of the original Maverick virus, and he actually turned Sigma evil, so X has to destroy him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And X *gunshot sounds* hates *giant explosion* violence *buster charge sound*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

And X *gunshot sounds* hates *giant explosion* violence *buster charge sound*.

Literally the only thing I remember about the villains in Megaman X is that the grizzly bear robot both hates violence and is a weapons dealer. Also that the bosses in Megaman X4 are named after the members of Guns N' Roses.

And that at one point they ran out of animals to base bosses off of and made one an anthropomorphic onion.

• Locked thread