Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you! I agree with Eej, it certainly does look like it's sagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm a little behind but,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqRupI48myY

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Strike Commander CD Intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js_VwfRgYPY

You can't get much more 90s than that.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

This was the first game that i played over network, i still have the 28.8 modem, Amiga 1200 and my first joystick.

(not my pic)

My prefered sim was F-18 interceptor, i even changed the file path with a hex editor so that i could install it on my 40 mb HD.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

It would be super cool to have a Catalina and live like those yacht guys who chill out in the Caribbean instead of owning a house.

The best Catalina joke I've heard was that navigators were not given a mission clock: they were given mission calenders.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

The best Catalina joke I've heard was that navigators were not given a mission clock: they were given mission calenders.
I have worked on one for a while. It is slower than a DC-3 and yet much, much noisier; on modern unleaded fuel it will barely do 110 knots even when it's light.

vv- it's 100LL iirc

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 20, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Why would they put mogas in a Catalina?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tsuru posted:

on modern unleaded fuel it will barely do 110 knots even when it's light.

Weren't they designed more for endurance than speed though?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

mustard_tiger posted:

Cross posting this from the cold war airpower thread:

What do you guys think?

That does not look very supersonic to me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Geoj posted:

Yes.
Reaching their 4000+ mile range took 30+ hours. At least you got to see two sunrises...

"Though slowly, I always get there"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

It's a flying boat. It's faster than submarine or PT!

How crazy rich would I have to be to get a new Catalina built with turboprops. :getin:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

How crazy rich would I have to be to get a new Catalina built with turboprops. :getin:

Very rich, because you'd have to get the FAA to certify it as airworthy first, and even then it'd get the 'Experimental' stamp on it. You'd be modifying a historically sturdy old airplane, but keep in mind the giant wing is still only supported by a single spar point. Turboprops might weigh less, but their higher RPMs might put undue stress on the airframe through vibration.

EDIT:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39266&start=0

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/N287.html (look how close those blades get to the damned crew cabin :stare:)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 21, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably cheaper to find someone with a Be-12 for sale, and you'd have *much* larger living quarters too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SybilVimes posted:

Probably cheaper to find someone with a Be-12 for sale, and you'd have *much* larger living quarters too.

They also have those gorgeous gods-eye navigator windows in front.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

poo poo, talking old school, anyone ever play Aces High II? It's still going, it's run by the people responsible for Air Warrior back in the day.

First time I ever was in a 50 vs. 50 dogfight as part of a squadron using voice chat and flying as a wingman (about 2005 or so) I realized I'd never play a console game again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Very rich, because you'd have to get the FAA to certify it as airworthy first, and even then it'd get the 'Experimental' stamp on it. You'd be modifying a historically sturdy old airplane, but keep in mind the giant wing is still only supported by a single spar point. Turboprops might weigh less, but their higher RPMs might put undue stress on the airframe through vibration.

EDIT:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39266&start=0

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/N287.html (look how close those blades get to the damned crew cabin :stare:)

The idea of a turboprop vibrating MORE than a pair of R-1830s amuses the gently caress out of me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MrYenko posted:

The idea of a turboprop vibrating MORE than a pair of R-1830s amuses the gently caress out of me.

Might be why they only made *one* "Super Catalina."

Evidently this was the prototype mentioned in the first of the two links:

Note the additional (thicker) wing reinforcement.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 21, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Just booked a business trip to the DC area, and started looking at the map to see where I am staying, and doing business stuff. Turns out I'm almost exactly a 2 mile walk from Udvar-Hazy. And it looks like we'll have a couple hours our last afternoon there to take a trip over there to check it out.

I don't think the coworker I'm going with knows exactly how excited I am about this.

Uh, I would take a look at Google Maps streetview before getting excited about walking there. You might find there aren't actually that many sidewalks in that part of town...

NM, enough people have already pointed out how daft an idea it is. Just use Uber or something.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I'm noticing a disturbing lack of Janes Longbow 2 being mentioned in this thread :colbert:

The fondest memories of flight simming I have are when my brother and I hooked up a Null modem cable between our machines, allowing one person to fly, while the other person acted as the gunner.

15 years later and you still can't do that in modern games. Goddamn DCS release your multi-crew module already!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You can man gunner positions in Aces High II. When I first started playing, I joined a squadron of greybeards, and one of the guys taught me the ins and outs of flying the Bf-110-G2 by having me man the rear turret for him on flights while he explained the tactics he was using. After a few days of that I flew on his wing, and we spent the next 18 months that I played that game decimating bomber fleets.

e- The 30mm was a great tank-killer of sorts, too. The two of us would mark vehicles with rockets, detrack them with the cannon (or destroy them outright if they were light armor) and then the rest of our squadron would roll in with P-47's or P-51's with bombs.

Goddamn, I miss those days, that whole crew of guys were awesome. Most of the people who played it were, too, I flew on one organized mission led by a guy who was a RB-50B pilot in the Air Force. Lot of actual pilots played it, and had since Air Warrior on AOL.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 21, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hobbesmaster posted:

It's been done to the German equivalent -- the sole airworthy Dornier 24 (out of four still extant) was restomodded with turboprops, a better wing, and landing gear. Of course, it was done by the grandson/heir of the guy that designed it, so I'd assume he either got a vastly reduced rate on the work by using company mechanics/is rich as balls/just took it from the company advertising budget.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

You'd probably need some reinforcing of the wing and tail structure (depending on exactly which engines were used), since turboprops could easily produce more power and torque than the piston engines, and the fact they'd require longer nacelles could also require some modifications to prevent flutter.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker
Amphibians are super cool. Some company called Antilles was selling, or trying to sell, a new version of the Grumman Goose, but I don't know what happened with that.

E: A photo: :fap:

MadBurgerMaker fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 21, 2015

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MadBurgerMaker posted:

Amphibians are super cool. Some company called Antilles was selling, or trying to sell, a new version of the Grumman Goose, but I don't know what happened with that.

even standing still it looks like the engines are trying to depart without the aircraft.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Turboprops might weigh less, but their higher RPMs might put undue stress on the airframe through vibration.

Conversion to turboprops, as I understand it, extends the life of old airframes. Turboprops are essentially vibration free, much lighter, and don't stress the airframe anywhere near how the piston engines did.

And there are some 1700hp class turboprops.. you could do a driect HP for HP conversion, and probally save 2000lbs in the process.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

oops.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Is that arresting cable (or whatever it is) the only thing holding his plane up? I'd be making GBS threads bricks.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bobfather posted:

Is that arresting cable (or whatever it is) the only thing holding his plane up? I'd be making GBS threads bricks.

And the propeller is still moving. :stare:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mind the gap.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

To be fair to the pilot, he can't see anything over the nose of his fighter, and there isn't exactly room on a carrier for the usual drunkards walk to taxi a taildragger.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I like the guy you can see on the second deck wisely getting the gently caress outta there

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Well, another did take a picture instead, though.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

MadBurgerMaker posted:

Oh hey I got a picture of me with that Goose

E:

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
That is a loving pretty airplane, right there. Barring some terrible issue on the inside, I'd be astounded if it weren't able to sell at least a few units.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MadBurgerMaker posted:

quote:

However, as of 2009 Antilles Seaplanes' manufacturing center has been foreclosed and sold at auction. The current fate of new Goose production is currently unknown.

Guess it ain't happening.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ctishman posted:

That is a loving pretty airplane, right there. Barring some terrible issue on the inside, I'd be astounded if it weren't able to sell at least a few units.

Unfortunately I think the twin otter has that market locked up.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://i.imgur.com/hj4IeB9.gifv

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ctishman posted:

It should be noted that the pictured aircraft is an original Goose with a Mackinnon turboprop conversion. Antilles may have owned the type certificate but I don't believe they ever turned out a single new-build, or even built-from-parts, aircraft. As noted, the TwOtter has the twin seaplane market pretty much cornered with a much newer design. Even then, Viking started Series 400 production using old airframes (they're all-new now).

Edit: There is gently caress-all for new build 'between a Super Cub and a Kodiak' seaplanes. Viking owns the Beaver type certificate but I don't see them putting the Mk.I back into production without some change in engine availability/a complete engine change. Below that I doubt the market is very large given new aircraft prices these days; how many people actually buy their 182s or 206s with float kits anymore?

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 22, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

This is a hilariously unfortunate nickname/portmanteau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Advent Horizon posted:

It should be noted that the pictured aircraft is an original Goose with a Mackinnon turboprop conversion. Antilles may have owned the type certificate but I don't believe they ever turned out a single new-build, or even built-from-parts, aircraft. As noted, the TwOtter has the twin seaplane market pretty much cornered with a much newer design. Even then, Viking started Series 400 production using old airframes (they're all-new now).

Edit: There is gently caress-all for new build 'between a Super Cub and a Kodiak' seaplanes. Viking owns the Beaver type certificate but I don't see them putting the Mk.I back into production without some change in engine availability/a complete engine change. Below that I doubt the market is very large given new aircraft prices these days; how many people actually buy their 182s or 206s with float kits anymore?

A new skylane with float kit costs $625k, jesus loving christ.