Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Man I forgot how much of a smug dick Kujura is in the earlier parts of the game. I look forward to presumably getting to murder him this time around.

He's less of an rear end in a top hat if you side against him, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The part where you have to repeatedly go up and down between the third stratum and the two cities is kinda tedious when you're trying to speedrun.

But I finally made it past the Gatekeeper and now it's time to see some new stuff!

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
So I just killed the Berserker King in EO4, and I'm realizing that outside of boss/FOE fights my medic is just kind of there. I'm running a link knight/dancer/night guy, medic/runemaster party, and the medic is definitely the weak link. But what do I do with that? The front line isn't particularly defensive, but they tear poo poo up with buffs, and the dancer can keep most of the healing going anyways.

But subbing in a sniper means that I'm dependent on the dancer and the runemaster's healing staff for healing. And she's definitely got better stuff to be spending her tp on.

Ayana fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ayana posted:

So I just killed the Berserker King in EO4, and I'm realizing that outside of boss/FOE fights my medic is just kind of there. I'm running a link knight/dancer/night guy, medic/runemaster party, and the medic is definitely the weak link. But what do I do with that? The front line isn't particularly defensive, but they tear poo poo up with buffs, and the dancer can keep most of the healing going anyways.

Drop them for an Arcanist once you unlock them.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ayana posted:

Medics can frontline fairly well. Give him/her the Mace attack skill and have 'em go to town.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished the Deep City ending.

Seyfried Did Nothing Wrong :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of the Berserker King, I let the Bloodbears join the fight on New Game + and I was surprised the FOE music overrode the boss music.

I guess it's since that's the only boss that has FOEs nearby, but it was still jarring.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Okay, now the True Ending is a bit more obtuse to get than either of the two normal endings.

Step 1: That flags for that actually start at the moment when you discover the Deep City. When Olympia asks you keep the Deep City a secret, say yes.
Step 2: Break your promise to Olympia and tell Flowdia about the Deep City. Doing these will get you both the Sky Bowl and Starry Shard from Kujura and Olympia while you're exploring the 4th Stratum.
Step 3: It doesn't matter who you side with in the 3rd Stratum, just accept a mission and move on.
Step 4: This one is really easy to mess up. :siren:At the end of the 4th Stratum, when you kill Kirin/Shin, go back to whoever you sided with and report the mission, but DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEXT MISSION!:siren:
Step 5: Instead, go all the way back to the 10th floor, to the room where you met the Eldest One. Talk to him. He's at the back of the room, and say yes to his question. Complete the 5th Stratum as normal.

And that's how you get the True Ending.

Oh, and NPCs do have slightly different dialogue in this route, but some of them act like you both sided with and against them at the same time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Step 4: This one is really easy to mess up. :siren:At the end of the 4th Stratum, when you kill Kirin/Shin, go back to whoever you sided with and report the mission, but DO NOT ACCEPT THE NEXT MISSION!:siren:
Step 5: Instead, go all the way back to the 10th floor, to the room where you met the Eldest One. Talk to him. He's at the back of the room, and say yes to his question. Complete the 5th Stratum as normal.

And that's how you get the True Ending.

Hahaha, what? :allears:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Of those two endings, he is the one in the right. It's not even open to interpretation, really. It's a nice touch the game doesn't rub your face in it though because it's natural to sympathize with the side where 95% of the NPCs you interact with live (that also provides a much better class unlock as a reward).

The thing about the true ending is that it represents a better solution that neither of the two sides would consider on their own. Have you figured out the first flag to unlock it yet? Because it is honestly kind of dumb. I strongly suggest looking up the requirements now so you don't end up having to play the story a 4th time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow if I had gone and done the moon door stuff before accepting a mission I'd have stumbled onto the true ending my first time through. I was wondering what those key items I never used were for.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the dialogue choice after you fight the Deep One's minions during the third stratum?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nope! It's a very strange design choice because it's not hard to do at all, but simultaneously one of the last things you'd expect to influence it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow if I had gone and done the moon door stuff before accepting a mission I'd have stumbled onto the true ending my first time through. I was wondering what those key items I never used were for.

So it doesn't have anything to do with the dialogue choice after you fight the Deep One's minions during the third stratum?

Nah, but trying to attack him again will result in the exact same fight happening again. Not an issue on a NG+, but depending on your first playthrough, you might accidentally sentence your party to death.

Yeah, you weren't supposed to figure out about the True Ending on a first playthrough. It's not even balanced for that. Since you never accepted a mission in the first place to get it, there's no big mission reward at the end. Also the weapon you unlock from it sucks. Your only hints for that were getting the Moon Key at the end of the 4th Stratum, and remembering that there was a Moon door in the 3rd Stratum, so it's pretty obtuse.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Should I have gone for the other two endings in EO3 before the true ending, when I played it?

I guess if you choose to use the same party members the other times around, it would not take very long to do all three.

I knew before playing that there were multiple endings with a true ending, so I just looked up a guide on how to trigger the flags for the true ending.

I never actually beat Progenitor, because I have a bad habit of getting to the end boss of a game and stopping (for a while or permanently).

I'm playing it again now and could still go the way of doing the other endings first.

Right now I am still at the point right after opening up the 2nd stratum.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I mean I did go back and talk to him again once I got the key. It's just that my instinct is always to do everything in the cities including accepting missions. So when I went back there he just said "it's too late, you've already chosen a path" making me think it had to do with the earlier meeting.

asvodel posted:

I guess if you choose to use the same party members the other times around, it would not take very long to do all three.

It's definitely pretty quick (though a bit tedious). The downside is that the new bosses in the other of the two paths are going to be pretty easy by the time you get back around to them. That said I almost died to DEEP PRINCESS when everyone but my hoplite got confused near the end.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 20, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Ayana posted:

But subbing in a sniper means that I'm dependent on the dancer and the runemaster's healing staff for healing. And she's definitely got better stuff to be spending her tp on.

Subbing in a Sniper is fine. You can go through the game fairly easily using only item heals, money is not hard to come by at all. If you want to keep your medic, you could also throw on some Luck equipment and just use one of the status effect bashes every turn. Switch to a more healing oriented item set when you get into a fight where you need it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Of those two endings, he is the one in the right. It's not even open to interpretation, really. It's a nice touch the game doesn't rub your face in it though because it's natural to sympathize with the side where 95% of the NPCs you interact with live (that also provides a much better class unlock as a reward).

Yeah it's definitely true. I didn't really realize it the first time through, but Flowdia and Gutrune really go out of their way to pull the wool over your eyes. I'm gonna put this in tags because even though it's an old game, the plot is actually pretty interesting.

The first time through it seemed like out of nowhere Seyfried just went nuts and decided to try to kill his sister. I figured he was deluded as a consequence of losing his memories/making himself into a robot, and I didn't trust the freaky tree talking to him. Of course then at the end you get the reveal about the Princess but the way she and Flowdia frame it, it seems like it's not too bad. The story mostly just seems like a tragedy that Seyfried is so far gone he can't even remember his sister.

But THEN I did the Deep City path. And I learned that Seyfried didn't abandon his peaceful nonagression out of nowhere - it was the collecting of the Amarantos flower that triggered it, because he had access to information that never even gets revealed in the other path. Learning that the flower is poisonous to everyone who isn't a Deep One totally recontextualizes his reactions and you understand why he wants to kill her. She and Kujura also seem downright nuts and evil once you actually confront them and put them on the defensive. There are still tragic elements that the two siblings end up at each others throats, but Seyfried is much more justified.

That said I'm looking forward to the true ending. There are so many ways that both sides are in the wrong, and even though I don't know exactly what the final solution will be I can imagine a few other options. Like finding out what exactly the deal is with the Deep Ones. Maybe they don't just need to be slaughtered indiscriminately.

Also wtf is up with this game's freaky Yggdrasil it seems really different from the other two. :tinfoil:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah it's definitely true. I didn't really realize it the first time through, but Flowdia and Gutrune really go out of their way to pull the wool over your eyes. I'm gonna put this in tags because even though it's an old game, the plot is actually pretty interesting.

The first time through it seemed like out of nowhere Seyfried just went nuts and decided to try to kill his sister. I figured he was deluded as a consequence of losing his memories/making himself into a robot, and I didn't trust the freaky tree talking to him. Of course then at the end you get the reveal about the Princess but the way she and Flowdia frame it, it seems like it's not too bad. The story mostly just seems like a tragedy that Seyfried is so far gone he can't even remember his sister.

But THEN I did the Deep City path. And I learned that Seyfried didn't abandon his peaceful nonagression out of nowhere - it was the collecting of the Amarantos flower that triggered it, because he had access to information that never even gets revealed in the other path. Learning that the flower is poisonous to everyone who isn't a Deep One totally recontextualizes his reactions and you understand why he wants to kill her. She and Kujura also seem downright nuts and evil once you actually confront them and put them on the defensive. There are still tragic elements that the two siblings end up at each others throats, but Seyfried is much more justified.

That said I'm looking forward to the true ending. There are so many ways that both sides are in the wrong, and even though I don't know exactly what the final solution will be I can imagine a few other options. Like finding out what exactly the deal is with the Deep Ones. Maybe they don't just need to be slaughtered indiscriminately.

Also wtf is up with this game's freaky Yggdrasil it seems really different from the other two. :tinfoil:

Man, when Gutrune drops that she's using the power of the Deep Ones to extend her life I just wanted to turn to Kujura and Flowdia and ask "yo, are you really okay with this?"

Edit: Maybe we'll get that conversation in an Etrian Untold 3

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grr Leviathan is such an rear end in a top hat I keep getting close and then dying.

I'll try stocking up on unihorns maybe that will be the breakthrough I need.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Grr Leviathan is such an rear end in a top hat I keep getting close and then dying.

I'll try stocking up on unihorns maybe that will be the breakthrough I need.

That is the preferred strategy.

How would a 5 Sniper run of EO4 work out? I guess Chase Bind could probably be a useful ability here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

That is the preferred strategy.

It worked. Barely. Whatever I have Lucky Hammer now I'm good.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

asvodel posted:

It just occurred to me, I wonder if that is also a Monty Python reference like the Trade City of Aaeaa and the stuff from the one EO2 comic.
You know as in the "It is now 10:00, and time for the penguin on top of your television set to explolde." bit.

Aeaea is the island Circe lives on in Greek mythology. How is it a Monty Python reference? And what EO2 comic?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Should I buy Etrian Mystery Dungeon while the DLC is free or wait for the game itself to be on sale?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I don't have the comics handy but Yuji Himukai, who does a lot of the series art, is a big Monty Python fan. A couple of the comics he did for EOII reference their sketches. (I, uh, also thought the city of Aaeea was a reference to Castle Arrrgh, since I didn't recall the name of Circe's island).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The comics in question:

quote:

A gunner trains hard every day. There are so many techniques to learn. We must strike our enemies down with Weakshot! Heal our allies with Medishot!

Target our enemy’s weak points! Quickly reload elemental bullets! And when all else fails, use the Riot Gun!

But is our instructor really asking us to shoot the bananas out of an enemy’s hand…?

quote:

The largest group that can go into the Labyrinth is five... Guild leaders consider many factors when choosing a party, such as offense, defense, exploration skills... But they always look down on us war magi, saying “You seem pretty half-baked. Healing warriors? There’s no place in my party for a war magus.”

But we can’t back down! To anyone who scoffs at our power, I have a handy retort: “But we have two weapons: Swords, Lore, and Staves!” Wait... two? Well, the more the better, right? That just proves how useful we really are!

No English version of this one, but the guy's saying "Please stop!"

Chippzz
Mar 22, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Should I buy Etrian Mystery Dungeon while the DLC is free or wait for the game itself to be on sale?

The DLC is nothing special. I'd wait for lower prices.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I always thought whoever localized those just went with Monty Python jokes because the original joke in Japanese would have gotten lost in translation. I guess some things transcend all language barriers.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Rangpur posted:

I don't have the comics handy but Yuji Himukai, who does a lot of the series art, is a big Monty Python fan. A couple of the comics he did for EOII reference their sketches. (I, uh, also thought the city of Aaeea was a reference to Castle Arrrgh, since I didn't recall the name of Circe's island).

It's A e a e a. I pronounce it like "Ah, yeah!" with an extra syllable in the "yeah", but's it's actually probably closer to "ee-ah".

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MartianAgitator posted:

It's A e a e a. I pronounce it like "Ah, yeah!" with an extra syllable in the "yeah", but's it's actually probably closer to "ee-ah".

According to Wikipedia it's "ee-ee-ah", more or less, with the emphasis on the second syllable.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

How hard is EOU on expert? I just finished story mode on standard and want to move on to classic now that I have the drop for the katana.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tyty posted:

How hard is EOU on expert? I just finished story mode on standard and want to move on to classic now that I have the drop for the katana.

It can get a little rough at times: harder than EO4 for sure, probably around the level of the original EO. The main difference between Normal and Expert is that everything does 30-40% more damage to you and healing is reduced in effectiveness by a similar amount: status ailments also seem to hit your party more reliably. The main game should be manageable since you've already played through it and know what you're doing, but it's got arguably the toughest postgame in the series.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 21, 2015

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Tyty posted:

If you've played any other EO game, it's about the base difficulty of any of the others. The only problem I ever had was with Depth Dancers or whatever the birds on B29f are called.

If you haven't played any others, then, well why not?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I'd put EOU Expert right up there with noncheese EO1 or EO2 without broken classes. It really really hates you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Claret Hollows on Expert Mode is literally hell.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
The third stratum boss in EO4 gave me a real run for my money, jeez. I took a very inefficient path around to destroy the big scale in his room and didn't have another guard sole on me, so by the time I destroyed it I was essentially out of healing items and used most of my TP. For some reason it didn't quite occur to me that he'd remain weakened if I warped out and returned prepared, so I decided to challenge it then and there. Seeing it start at half-health made me feel overconfident, so I pushed on despite being pretty resource starved. It went well for a few turns until my TP completely bottomed out, then it ended with everyone dead but my runemaster (who miraculous survived a hit with 1 HP) and the boss at like 5% but steadily regaining health. I didn't know if I should risk a burst and an attack or try to escape, since both seemed equally hopeless. I opted to run away and amazingly enough it actually worked and I didn't have to explore the entirety of the third floor again.Taking him down after returning fully rested and restocked wasn't a problem, at least. Game isn't exactly a cakewalk but you guys were right about how much easier it is than the older titles. I've still seen my fair share of game overs so I can't complain about it being too easy. :v:

Also thanks for convincing me to sink more points into the Land's elemental links, I really underestimated how much beefier they get when improved. Reset my party's skills to make it more synergistic with linking and its been working out pretty great between my Dancer's multiple attacks, Sniper's Squall Volley and Runemaster's multi-hit spells. I really dig the concept behind Imperial though and I'm probably going to start using one when its unlocked (end of the next stratum, I'm guessing). Is there anything that has good synergy with them? I plan on experimenting with a new party once I have all the classes unlocked, been sticking with my original line up of L/N/D S/R so far and its been serving me well.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Honestly, you can replace Dancer with Imperial and it'll probably greatly increase your damage output. Nightseeker gets Swift Edge as their best attack and it hits multiple times which goes well with your links so it can make up for the lack of extra attacks from Dancer. Imperial goes well with Landsknecht and Runemaster because you're probably already opening holes to exploit with elements anyways. Well, if you're going with an Elemental Imperial at least.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Successfully got into the True Ending path :toot:

The Eldest One manages to be creepy even when he's helping you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Dr. Fetus posted:

How would a 5 Sniper run of EO4 work out? I guess Chase Bind could probably be a useful ability here.

I started mine, but it kind of fell by the wayside for Persona Q. It's not -terribly- difficult, but it certainly makes the game longer, since in most fights you're working on binding everything down before you go in for the kill.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EOU Expert is the standard EO difficulty. There's nothing really special about it if you've played the DS games. EOU Standard is way too easy and boring.

5 Snipers here we gooooo. I have absolutely no idea on what roles I should be giving them. I currently have 2 of them rushing Squall Volley and Silver Arrow, while the others are focused on binds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Imperials, I love you, but christ your moves need better accuracy. I'm sure it won't matter in the long run when the prince uses Overdrive and kills me.

• Locked thread