Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I'm leaving for 6 weeks and have to say goodbye to the bird today.
I'm gonna miss her stupid, screamy, fluff-butt like crazy. I have a few days at home without her, and I've never been home without a bird for over 2 1/2 years.

:sadwave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pile of Kittens posted:

You can also play a game where you imitate the sounds he's making. I hear that ingratiates you to big talkers/imitators like greys. Nothing like a nice flock game of call and response!

My ladytiels won't respond much to talking because Ellie apparently lives in Derpton Abbey and that wouldn't be proper and Anais is just weird but Archer gets megaexcited when people, especially girls, talk to him. Charlie goes nuts for singing. His favorite band is Kansas so I'm pretty sure he was a suburban dad in a past life.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, half the time when Loki is screaming and I can't figure out why, he'll suddenly stretch himself toward my mouth and I realize that he just wanted me to talk to him.

My first real introduction to him (my wife had him for 3 years before we met), was him walking across my chest and staring at my mouth, then nipping at my lips whenever I stopped talking. Imitators really love conversation, I think.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Charlie goes nuts for singing. His favorite band is Kansas so I'm pretty sure he was a suburban dad in a past life.

Ama's favorite band is Barenaked Ladies. Maybe they had cookouts together.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I whistled and chirped and talked at the budgies for five minutes solid and they were entirely silent. The moment I gave up and started talking to my boyfriend, Hubris started screeching.

Birds.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

chthonic bell posted:

I whistled and chirped and talked at the budgies for five minutes solid and they were entirely silent. The moment I gave up and started talking to my boyfriend, Hubris started screeching.

Birds.

Sounds like booges, alright. I can talk and sing and tweet at my buddies all I want, they never want to talk until I'm talking to someone else.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Budgies are weird that way. They will also talk up a storm until they realize you're listening to them and then suddenly get quiet and shy.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Kenshin posted:

You won't find that controversial in here.

A mix of veggies, legumes, fruits, and some grains is great for parrots, though it can be helpful to give them some of the nicer pellets as well to fill any nutritional gaps (as well as making it a bit easier on you, the owner). The more variety the better, just make sure you ALWAYS have a list of food poisonous to birds on hand such as this one: http://beautyofbirds.com/toxicfoods.html

Conures are very wasteful eaters. Don't be surprised if over half of any given meal ends up on the floor of his/her cage. The good thing is they are also pretty much self-regulating, so as long as you're giving the bird a good variety to eat (and they're eating most of the variety) you don't have to worry about over-feeding.

Seeds should be used sparingly and primarily only as treats, not as a regular part of your birds' diet. If you bird is flighted and flies around your house/apartment they can be given slightly more than otherwise (since they'll be burning the energy off easier).

Please feel free to dump all the photos in this thread!

Thank you very much. I have an additional question. Would he/she be happier, but still fun and friendly with humans, if we got him/her a companion? They have some green cheek conures with yellow accents (I think that's what they said - there will be yellow and red on their bellies) that just hatched last week). I'm tempted to get a friend for Cici.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just noticed tonight that AMadeus has been plucking tailfeathers while in his sleep cage because of the way my boyfriend treats him.

I am going to loving kill somebody.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I just noticed tonight that AMadeus has been plucking tailfeathers while in his sleep cage because of the way my boyfriend treats him.

I am going to loving kill somebody.

What in the world is your boyfriend doing to your bird?

I don't how you want to handle it, but even though birds can be jerks, I know where my priorities would lie.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

We have the same priorities but it's not that simple. I wish it were.

Anyway I shouldn't've brought it up on a public forum but I was/am in shock and pretty goddamn upset. Sorry for the brief drama import.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Either way, plucking is really sad. Sorry it's going on. :(

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

mombot posted:

Thank you very much. I have an additional question. Would he/she be happier, but still fun and friendly with humans, if we got him/her a companion? They have some green cheek conures with yellow accents (I think that's what they said - there will be yellow and red on their bellies) that just hatched last week). I'm tempted to get a friend for Cici.

Well firstly, there's no guarantee the birds will even like each other.

Secondly, if you have them in the same cage and they do like each other, they will no longer be bonded to humans and you have a loud, pooping bird-tank that you can watch but probably not handle (large chance anyway, some bonded birds will still be handle-able but less so than if they are not).

Ideally, you can keep them in separate cages where they can chatter and call to each other, but won't bond as much, and still be handle-able. Though again they may not even like each other, so out of cage time might have to be done separately (which I'm assuming would be a PITA).

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

how do i get a raven's attention? i have food he's just a huge pussy and stays ~500 metres away (i know he can see me they have good eyes)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Just be patient. Throw the food on the ground a few meters away from yourself so it feels comfortable to come down and eat it near you. Just keep doing that till its used to you, and try to get it to eat closer and closer to you. If they are anything like Australian Magpies, eventually you should be able to get them to eat out your hand.

Aug 24, 2011

one of the cockatoos is a retard and keeps eating my beef

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I want to mint corvid coins with unique numbers and my contact info on them and see where they eventually turn up so I can die not entirely alone.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

mombot posted:

I'd be curious to know about this as well!

Hello bird crazies! I recently acquired my own conure, and am already in love. His name is Sammy

He's very cuddly and sweet, but can have a little bit of a temper. I was thinking of maybe getting another conure a few months from now, as Sammy has been a delight and I'd like to ensure he isn't lonely while I'm at work.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

He's very cuddly and sweet, but can have a little bit of a temper. I was thinking of maybe getting another conure a few months from now, as Sammy has been a delight and I'd like to ensure he isn't lonely while I'm at work.
Almost all conures are like that to varying degrees. :)

That might help... or it could backfire. Sometimes they'll bond, sometimes they won't, though you can raise the likelihood with a member of the same or closely related species, or at least near the same size.

I know I haven't posted about Auri in a while but she's doing fine, being her generally quiet and content self. Took this picture today while she was looking out the window.

EDIT: bonus picture of Alexis wrestling with my hand. Often she'll get all puffed up, it's adorable.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 22, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Auri is so pretty. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't know about conures but my tiels share a cage and they didn't turn feral or anything. I think what might've helped was that I didn't buy them together so they got used to me before each other.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you can keep them in separate cages and have them out together when you are around. That way there will never ever be a day where you come home to a dead bird that the other killed, and they keep eachother company through the bars, like being on different branches of the same tree. Your conure has a temper now, imagine in a year when he's in bird puberty and bites much harder, and gets a hold of the strange birds toe instead of the human it loves finger.

The lady I bought my bird off had a pet Quaker who was the nicest bird, never bit her or her kids, until one day it got jealous of the babies and it just walked in and bit their toes off. I don't think I'll ever trust 2 birds alone together after hearing that no matter what their temperament is.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dreggon posted:

one of the cockatoos is a retard and keeps eating my beef

Gonna let you know that all of the cockatoos are dumb idiots, not just that one. They are omnivorous birds though, hth

Aug 24, 2011

Eejit posted:

Gonna let you know that all of the cockatoos are dumb idiots, not just that one. They are omnivorous birds though, hth

oh ok, i thought they ate seeds and maybe the occasional grub

i assumed that this one particular bird (who is stupid) was eating meat because he didn't realise he's not supposed to

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Who's a pretty bird?

You're a pretty bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dreggon posted:

i assumed that this one particular bird (who is stupid) was eating meat because he didn't realise he's not supposed to

tbf that's a perfectly reasonable assumption

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah they're not predatory at all, but they are ground foragers and scavengers and a few species primarily consume insects. They're not super well-adapted to eat meat, but they're greedy fucks and will eat just about anything.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
The galahs I have attracted into my yard have decided that rather than eat the seed in the bird feeder, they would rather eat the bird feeder itself. Bastards.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

GoldStandardConure posted:

The galahs I have attracted into my yard have decided that rather than eat the seed in the bird feeder, they would rather eat the bird feeder itself. Bastards.

To cockatoos 'destroy' is not a verb, it is a flavor.

Aug 24, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

fyi if you have any heavy objects outside on tables and such they will drag them off the tables so they smash on the ground to get your attention

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Theres nothing out the front for them to wreck except the bird feeder (or my car, if they decide to go full kea). I am well aware of Australian bird lifes capability of being a destructive rear end in a top hat.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
Okay, so I have a Zapp update: finally had an opportunity to take the little man to get his beak trimmed, and the vet said that he didn't want to shorten the lower one more than he did on account of the older part of the lower beak was thin and kind of translucent if you held him up to the sun. I'm not entirely sure if the resulting trim was sufficient, but we have gotten him plenty of softer food mixes (worldly cuisines? Something like that) for him while he's adjusting to the new beak

You can see the part on the bottom that's particularly thin/weak, and while he's had a small portion of that lower beak be kind of translucent as long as I can remember, it's usually not so prominent. We're seeing what we can change with his diet to see if he's deficient in anything, but for the next week or two he's probably going to be on soft-ish foods.

And, to be honest, I'm not entirely pleased with the trim job itself, so I might try to find a different avian vet in the future.

BlueDiablo fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 23, 2015

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

At least he looks like a happy little guy!

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
Oh, he's a great little bird (despite being a surly conure), so everything about him is 100% fine except for his beak situation. His plumage is good, his weight checks out, he gets plenty of exercise, and he's a tiny cuddle monster most of the time, it's just his beak isn't how it should be.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

BlueDiablo posted:

Okay, so I have a Zapp update: finally had an opportunity to take the little man to get his beak trimmed, and the vet said that he didn't want to shorten the lower one more than he did on account of the older part of the lower beak was thin and kind of translucent if you held him up to the sun. I'm not entirely sure if the resulting trim was sufficient, but we have gotten him plenty of softer food mixes (worldly cuisines? Something like that) for him while he's adjusting to the new beak

He is such a cute bird, mine never lets me get pictures when he's in happy scritches mode.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

So I finished dark horses's plush a little while ago and I think I'm ready to start another, if anyone here was still interested. If you have special color preferences let me know.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

blackflare posted:

So I finished dark horses's plush a little while ago and I think I'm ready to start another, if anyone here was still interested. If you have special color preferences let me know.

I'd love a sun conure :) I can provide pics if you'd like :neckbeard:

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Don't take this as a reason not to post those pics anyway, but the first one was a sun conure so just like that p much? (post all the pics)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Can I pre-emptively claim the spot after his? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

BlueDiablo posted:

Oh, he's a great little bird (despite being a surly conure), so everything about him is 100% fine except for his beak situation. His plumage is good, his weight checks out, he gets plenty of exercise, and he's a tiny cuddle monster most of the time, it's just his beak isn't how it should be.

Birds can get along with some craaaazy beak shapes and he does look much better now :3:.

Also I am clearly going to have to save my money for some bird plushies. 6 is a pretty tall order.