Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.

magiccarpet posted:

I keep thinking of things and then realize you have a Disting which is basically cheat codes.

Yeah, I'd like to add another one (or two), but they use a decent amount of juice. At this rate I'm worried about running out of +12V before filling up the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Autolyze posted:

Yeah, I'd like to add another one (or two), but they use a decent amount of juice. At this rate I'm worried about running out of +12V before filling up the case.

Having read up on the Disting, I'm going to put one in the last 4hp of my main case. Can't find one in stock anywhere though!

Cannot believe that I just ordered almost 9 full U of modular. I am a little giddy.

:getin:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

sofullofhate posted:

Having read up on the Disting, I'm going to put one in the last 4hp of my main case. Can't find one in stock anywhere though!

Cannot believe that I just ordered almost 9 full U of modular. I am a little giddy.

:getin:

Control Voltage has them in stock.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing with the SQ8L VST on the lead up to picking up an SQ80

.... holy poo poo now I can do that gnarly bass bend from Electric Avenue.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sizone posted:

"Now I know right about now you're asking, 'are there synthesizers other than those made by ensoinq?' and Imma tell you straight up, yes, but they don't matter."

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
So, I've got a Monotribe and a KP3 and am enjoying pretending that I was kicked out of Kraftwerk for being too boring. But I'd like them to sync up and maybe have another voice to play with. Would a Microbrute accomplish this?

I was thinking it could go like this:

Midi out of KP3 -> Midi into Microbrute -> CV out of Microbrute -> Sync in to Monotribe.

Not looking to sequence anything from anything - just want things to run concurrently and be able to use the sample aspect of KP3 more. Would it work?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HorseHeadBed posted:

So, I've got a Monotribe and a KP3 and am enjoying pretending that I was kicked out of Kraftwerk for being too boring. But I'd like them to sync up and maybe have another voice to play with. Would a Microbrute accomplish this?

I was thinking it could go like this:

Midi out of KP3 -> Midi into Microbrute -> CV out of Microbrute -> Sync in to Monotribe.

Not looking to sequence anything from anything - just want things to run concurrently and be able to use the sample aspect of KP3 more. Would it work?

Do a midi mod on the monotribe. It's ridiculously easy.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sizone posted:

Do a midi mod on the monotribe. It's ridiculously easy.

I thought about it. £50 seemed a like a lot. I decided I'd rather use a Volca and when thought about the Microbrute and... well, here we are. Low budget GAS, I suppose.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

It shouldn't cost that much to add midi.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

There is no way I could even attempt that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HorseHeadBed posted:

I thought about it. £50 seemed a like a lot. I decided I'd rather use a Volca and when thought about the Microbrute and... well, here we are. Low budget GAS, I suppose.

?

It's a midi jack (1$, maybe 2$) a resistor (pennies) and a pair of wires (free).

HorseHeadBed posted:

There is no way I could even attempt that.

HOW DARE YOU SUCK SO HARD. OUT OF THE SYNTH THREAD WITH YOU.

Seriously, do you have a friend who owns a soldering iron and a screwdriver? They will do it for you for a few beers. It will take, like, 1/2 an hour.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 19, 2015

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sizone posted:

Seriously, do you have a friend who owns a soldering iron and a screwdriver?

*small sob*
No...

The £50 was the MIDITribe mod. Since found the DINTribe, which is a bit cheaper. Maybe I'll do it. I don't know. I think I was also looking forward to having a bit more to play with than just the monotribe.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Make what you have actually useful. Then you can get more poo poo.

Also, you're going to need to learn how to wrench on poo poo sooner or later.

20$ for a bare bones soldering iron, 5$ for components and an afternoon are all that even the most technically incompetent need to get midi in onto their monotribes.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Sizone posted:

Make what you have actually useful. Then you can get more poo poo.

Also, you're going to need to learn how to wrench on poo poo sooner or later.

20$ for a bare bones soldering iron, 5$ for components and an afternoon are all that even the most technically incompetent need to get midi in onto their monotribes.

+1

This, all day.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
You may be right, but you haven't answered my question.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

You could just make a click track in your DAW to sync the 'tribe. That'll let you avoid the whole buying a Microbrute thing (unless you want to). Btw off the top of my head, your idea should work; but i don't own any of the devices involved, so don't trust me too much.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I't would work ok(ish), my improvisational band has had microbrute,volcas,monotribe synced together with sync cables. Some dropouts and glitchynes but nothing major.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Thanks. I'll have a bit of a think about it before buying or opening up anything. At the moment I feel sort of halfway in and halfway out of the box when it comes to making music. Using the computer makes sense from a practical and financial point of view. It just doesn't feel as fun as linking up boxes and doing things on the fly. I'm sure that, like most things, there's a halfway point that's the sweet spot, but having limited resources means I don't quite know where to go.

Back to the monotribe for a bit...

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I'm trying to decide between the rackmount ESQ-m and the ESQ-1. Can anyone steer me one way or the other? They are both for sale locally and are the same price. It would be nice to save some space if the rack version isn't significantly more annoying to program.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Can't say definitively, but the esq/sq are so straightforward to patch (one layer depth on all the menus), I doubt that removing a couple of page buttons would make it appreciably harder to patch. Basically, instead of having a dedicated button to select each parameter on the screen, you have left and right buttons to move between them. That's the only difference I can see.

Go for the rack. gently caress, if you're unhappy with it and shipping isn't too much, I'll buy it off of you.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

waneb posted:

I'm trying to decide between the rackmount ESQ-m and the ESQ-1. Can anyone steer me one way or the other? They are both for sale locally and are the same price. It would be nice to save some space if the rack version isn't significantly more annoying to program.

Rackmount. Keyboard is as heavy as gently caress.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly it's cause I'm a gay baby but the only thing that drives me crazy about the ensoniq esq1 is that you have to re trigger / replay a note to see your patch changes go into affect

I loving want instant satisfaction.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Then again all I ever managed was this

https://soundcloud.com/ziasquinn/dark-esq1-experiment

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Honestly it's cause I'm a gay baby but the only thing that drives me crazy about the ensoniq esq1 is that you have to re trigger / replay a note to see your patch changes go into affect

It's like that for every synth, you dead gay baby. Think about it, you gently caress with the attack setting on an envelope, you ain't gonna hear a difference until you trigger a new note.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That's what sequencers are for :)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Get a zillion purely as a programming aid. Also I'll say go keyboard if you're newish to programming because the button layout is the signal layout.
The real answer is get both because you can do note fallover.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

My yamaha dx11 has a quick edit option for operator levels, very cool to tweak. In practice really hard to not to overdo it because it needs to be retriggered and feels laggy as poo poo and usually ends in white noise.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 21, 2015

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sizone posted:

It's like that for every synth, you dead gay baby. Think about it, you gently caress with the attack setting on an envelope, you ain't gonna hear a difference until you trigger a new note.

Oh yeh but I'm talking about like RESONANCE

Or waveform type

Or really anything but envelopes

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Or lfo phase or, like, layer delay, or ramps or any triggers.

breaks
May 12, 2001

There are quite a few synths where you can modulate envelopes etc with immediate effect. It's not ubiquitous, especially on older digital stuff, but not uncommon. An envelope modulating itself is a pretty standard way of getting exponential envelope shapes in synths that support it.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Just a small remix from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

http://tindeck.com/listen/qfdpp

Enjoy the cheesy sound effects. :)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So uhhh... sneak peak of the JD-XA was just posted.

http://websta.me/p/944112785037779222_192351335

:dogbutton:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What options are there for a sample-based drum machine that can be played via CV? I want to make some drum kits out of my MS-20 and control it with my Analog Four but the A4 doesn't output MIDI, only CV. And I don't feel like paying 1600 for a drat Rytm either.

Preferably it'd work basically like midi -- hit C0 for one sound, C1 for another etc.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Tayter Swift posted:

What options are there for a sample-based drum machine that can be played via CV? I want to make some drum kits out of my MS-20 and control it with my Analog Four but the A4 doesn't output MIDI, only CV. And I don't feel like paying 1600 for a drat Rytm either.

Preferably it'd work basically like midi -- hit C0 for one sound, C1 for another etc.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALESAMPLERACK?siid=174615&gclid=CMXwy9fxv8QCFYc8aQodt50A_A

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Need CV in tho. And now that I think about it it wouldn't work anyway since you can only trigger one note per step with CV. Oh well.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Tayter Swift posted:

Need CV in tho. And now that I think about it it wouldn't work anyway since you can only trigger one note per step with CV. Oh well.

Those trigger inputs will respond to CV triggers.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh okay gotcha. There's still some practicality issues with the number of CV tracks tho. I'll probably just try an iPad solution or something I dunno.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tayter Swift posted:

You have a minibrute right?

Send gate to that and it should send midi out from there IIRC.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Sizone posted:

Wait, uh, what? Every analog thing I have does this, I thought it was part of how VCEs worked? I just tested it (on an Evolver) to be sure- moving the attack from full to none while the envelope was triggering definitely did something, and most of the other settings were way less subtle. It's a really nice feature to have when you're programming. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your point.

Sizone posted:

Or lfo phase or,

Couldn't do this but it feels like the exception, not the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

JamesKPolk posted:

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your point.

Pretty much, let's say you have a patch set up with a 1/4 second attack phase and you depress a key, the patch starts playing and you move the attack up to a 1/2 second, you don't get a 1/2 second attack, you don't hear the 1/2 second attack phase until you retrigger.
The only places where you get instantaneous, accurate representation of patch changes is, like, unmodulated cut off, umodulated resonance and unmodulated amplitude (because of phasing, even pitch adjustments if you're running more than one oscillator, sound different depending on where in the cycle they're made). That's still dependent on the underlying sound that is being filtered or amplified having no variance over time.
So, no, it's the rule and the only place you find exceptions to it are with really, really simple patches