Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I did like my suggestion of Wandering Son yesterday what with the whole "trying to claim that GGG is making commentary on gender issues" bit, but heck trying to get Shrimpy to watch a show without robots in it sounds impossible so I like that idea too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I'm actually curious as to what the hell they can do story wise. Are we really gonna have another timeskip of twelve thousand years? Do we somehow see the Angels wrangled back into bad guys again? Has Fudo prettied up even further into being a bishonen?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Credit (such as it is) where its due he has watched Digimon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Oh god now I definitely need to watch Da Garn.

EDIT: Or the one after Da Garn. Either way I need to watch train robots doing train robot stuff!

It also has Norio Wakamoto as a drunken samurai warlord who seeks to bring a return to the days of feudal japan through giant robots and bombs.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

It also has Norio Wakamoto as a drunken samurai warlord who seeks to bring a return to the days of feudal japan through giant robots and bombs.

Weirdly I didn't pick up on him being Taiso in giant robo. Had Alberto being Master Asia from the start though. Taiso sounded more like when he played Cell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always forget he plays Taiso because I've seen the dub of the first six episodes way more than the subbed version.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I always forget he plays Taiso because I've seen the dub of the first six episodes way more than the subbed version.

I never realized he played Coach in Gunbuster until I saw his name in a cast list.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Artum posted:

Credit (such as it is) where its due he has watched Digimon.
Digimon is basically a mecha/robot show with how many digimon turn into gundams and cyborgs and poo poo so it doesn't count

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not to mention how most of the time the brave guy wins because he's brave.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Paper Lion posted:

:pcgaming::pcgaming:Clawshrimpy, DO NOT IGNORE THIS POST!!!:pcgaming::pcgaming:

First off, this is because I care!!! You seem to genuinely want a place to interact with others and a place to fit in. Part of that is understanding others and, EVEN IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM, learning to recognize the points they make, respecting them, and knowing when to say "i read this differently but we can agree to disagree." Seeing that you are now making people sad about GaoGaiGar, I have decided you have gone too far. To make others revile from the oath of courage is something a Zonder would do! YOU ARE THE BAD GUY NOW!!!

This cannot stand.

Shrimpy, you've been doing better like I said but it hasn't been enough. I want you to see what we see in other shows. I've forgotten which shows you have actually seen, which shows you just watched in your head and which shows you just read a synopsis of and decided you hated, so I will give you 3 options. I want you to watch bare minimum one episode a day, and I want you to write at least 500 words about each one. These words can't just be a synopsis but must be your actual, original, genuine thoughts about what you have watched.

Shrimpy, this is because I WANT you to get better. I WANT you to fit in. I WANT you to be able to have a place that is fun and safe where you can make friends and talk about things you love and learn new things and grow as a human being. I am not trying to bully you or be mean, and even if you recoil from this challenge at first I hope you can at least recognize that I (and at this point, the internet in general really) want the best for you.

The three shows on offer:

Turn A Gundam
Xabungle
Brain Powerd

Yes, they're all Tomino shows, but they were made at a VERY different point in time from the Tomino you know. I will also warn you up front in good faith that Brain Powerd is incredible nonsense (I mostly put it there because its one of my favourite things ever, if anyone in the thread knows a good Getter Robo version or Giant Robo version that you haven't watched, replace it with that instead). The list can be added to if folks in the thread can make a suitable case for any additions. These shows were picked because they are well crafted, not in your typical wheelhouse, and are generally very positive (Xabungle the most of the bunch).

If you fail to watch an episode and give us your thoughts 3 days in a row, you fail. Success (measured by watching the series you select of the provided list to completion, providing genuine thoughts about the show, and hopefully not being so "shrimpy" in thread dialogue) means no one can make rude posts at you anymore, and anybody involved in this debacle that has not seen it has to at least give GaoGaiGar a 3 episode test. Failure gets you a 30 day probation.
Sorry for not replying to this sooner, but I suppose I could do something like this, I'm just unsure what good it'd do for me.

First, I'm not sure sure about the anime currently on the list, and I'd like to hear more from some of the others. I only say this because of how many times I've been burned by this particular director's work. I mean, from all my research I just did for Turn A.... I'm noticing a lot of similarities to Victory, and Victory tried to fool me with a positive exterior but ended up being worse than Zeta and Zambot combined. Again, that wasn't the only time I was fooled, Eureka Seven was another show that fooled me in the same way. So I dunno, I'd maybe be a little more receptive to Brain Powered by from what little I could research of it, I dunno even if it'd be my kind of thing, basic pre-viewing information on Brain Powered is kind of hard to find.

Also, I wanted to say that I don't know if I can keep up with constantly watching episodes and writing long-winded opinions, especially about new stuff I'm unsure of and don't have a lot of enthusiasm for. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try, I just don't know sometimes if I'm gonna be able to meet a tight time table, especially since it seems like the shows you listed, I'm not sure they're on streaming services. I know Turn A maybe is on the official Gundam youtube channel with the rest of everything Gundam, but, I dunno if Brain Powered or Xabungle is on any kind of streaming service, and I'd have to actually obtain DVDs of the episodes or something.

So I'm just very unsure about how we should go about this, someone also mentioned I should make a seperate thread to move this project and the rest of my robot anime debate stuff, the GGG stuff, etc. But I have ni idea what I should put in the OP, etc.

Maybe we can talk privately about how we're gonna do this?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Turn A Gundam is one of the best animes, mecha or not, with some amazingly human people in it.

It's not a joke or devious trick to get you to watch a trainwreck, it's genuinely an incredible show that has lots of characters, lots of emotion, and lots of beautiful scenery and music. Oh boy, the music. Turn A Gundam is a masterpiece. There is a reason it is often considered Tomino's magnum opus. Syd Mead, an iconic sci-fi designer responsible for the designs in Blade Runner, Tron, and more, designed many of the mecha in it, and Yoko Kanno did the soundtrack. It's a culmination of talent that is rarely seen anymore.

RIP Gabriela Robin :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU35fJNtxp8

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 21, 2015

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I'll get Beef Waifu to make a thread for you with the rules in the OP and then you can feel free to post in there. Others will post in the thread too to respond to any questions you have about the show or provide their opinions as well.

As for the shows, ive got my skype in my profile so i can just direct you to places that have the shows.

Turn A is generally upbeat. Yes, there is a war, but it's nothing like Victory. Xabungle is also a very upbeat show. Brain Powerd isn't exactly a downer in my opinion but is probably the least cheerful of the 3. It's on the list specifically because of the antagonist, which the show does a character study on and devotes a good amount of time (including the best episode) to him and his motives and stuff. But it's also rather silly and nonsense and must be watched in the Dub only.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Clawshrimpy, I think when you want to check out new anime you shouldn't first put yourself in a position where you're already personally invested in it. Give new series a 3 episode test (that's how I usually check out most new series). If in three episodes its not your cup of tea then drop it and move on. If a series is bad or doesn't match your tastes then its not a direct slight against you nor was it ever meant to be. That may help you broaden your palette for shows that you may never have realized that you like.

I've only seen Turn A and some of Xabungle but I will second those recommendations. Turn A has some drama but most Gundam series do, but the characters and set pieces are great and the story is a much more positive one in my opinion. Xabungle is FUN. I got into the series after playing the units in SRW.

You don't always have to write essays about an episode. A few key observations or opinions is really just fine too. The point of a the threads here is discussions not exhibition. We all post our opinions, judgments, and theories about each anime episode and in turn promotes discussion or debate among peers. You don't need to carry every conversation on your own. Example could be that you can post your opinions on the first few episodes of Turn A and possible ask some questions about certain scenes if they didn't make sense to you or if certain actions seemed confusing. This in turn would engage other posters to answer with their own observations. Conversations here aren't always a versus of views.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah I forgot to mention, 500 words was not like some hard minimum, just a vague indicator of the level of depth I would like to see. If you only write a couple hundred words but they are sincere thoughts about the material, that's totally cool. I just want to see you genuinely engaging with the material and (hopefully) having a nice time with your new internet friends :unsmith:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Guys listen,

He just compared Turn A to Victory without having watched it. Turn A has one of the most unambiguously happy ends in the franchise. Very few people die, no one is maimed, a positive resolution is reached for a majority of the cast. Hell, Xabungle I'm pretty sure has the lowest body count of anything tomino and is often thrown is SRW as a humorous point to contrast negativity. He's not going to listen. I get that you all are trying, but all he's done is slowly ease into classic behaviors instead of just thrusting straight in. Paper Lion you are making a valiant effort and I respect that, but nothing is going to come of it. He is willing to watch the lowest of the franchise without giving the highest point a chance. He watched SEED and Destiny, but will not watch Turn A. Enough is enough.

I do want to address a point someone made and offer a solution to help bolster the posts and activity in this thread. I can either make it as a new thread or whatever is needed as per Beef Waifu's guidelines. We are all mecha enthusiasts here. Ever year ADTRW has done a watchathon where they take a series and do weekly to treat is as it is airing. I say we do a vote, pick some shows, throw then on the board, then just do weekly discussions and then splice in news stuff, recommendations and general submissions for content. It gives us some stuff to discuss, introduce newer guys to some classics, and all around promotes healthy discussion. I do not care to make handle a majority of the work on this, but this madness needs to stop. He is not going to take our suggestions. He is not going to change. He's going to call us the monsters, then bitch at us on twitter. We aren't the crowd he needs to be around with to make change, and we're not the people he needs to talk to make change.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I understand the pessimism TheManSeries, really I do. Check my post history last time Shrimpy was in the thread and you'll see. He'll never have a chance of learning and growing and actually understanding other points of view of those other points of view can't sit him down and teach him how to have a reasonable discussion though. Taking him out of the context of a show he has heavily woven into his self-identity, putting him into a space just to talk about a new thing together, and giving him actual time and patience to acclimate to it are the best chances. if he fails at it, well, that's what the probation is for.

I do agree with you that outside of the upcoming Clawshrimpy Containment Zone thread we should consider a new general robot thread where we can organize and simulwatch some poo poo together.

And shrimpy, you cannot judge any books by their covers. You do however have to trust that I picked these shows because they are some combination of Good To Watch, In Your Wheelhouse, and Relevant To Showing You Things About Themes, Nuance And Character. If you think I am trying to set this up to trick you then I am sorry that you have been burned so many times to have to come to that kind of conclusion.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

could you be more melodramatic about this? just curious

Paper Lion this is a cool thing, and it's gonna give me an excuse to finally watch Brain Power'd and rewatch Xabungle. Even if Clawshrimpy doesn't like the shows it'll be fun to talk about Xabungle with some other dudes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 4

My thoughts:

This episode, like the last one, exists primarily to introduce new characters. There were two of them this time: Jet Saber and Shuttle Saber. Outside of that the only real revelation is that there is some dissent amongst the villains: Redlone and his robot buddy had an argument. It seems that Redlone is willing to prioritize his personal interests over his mission. Does that mean he also has a superior to report to? We also learned that Hikaru's family are health nuts, but I doubt this will be of any great importance.

I'm glad Seiji and the Braves have to actually travel around the world for the stones, it would be a bit contrived if they all happened to end up in Japan. This episode also showcased something I think Da Garn does better than GaoGaiGar. Due to GGG's plot, only GGG itself could finish off nearly every fight, since only GGG had the attack that ripped out the cores so they could be purified (although they seem to forget a couple of times). In Da Garn however, any robot can fiinish thefight, and this episode's fight ended with Jet Saber and Shuttle Saber landing two crippling blows immediately after each other.

Mecha:

I'm not a huge fan of Jumbo Saber. I don't really care for his light blue/white color scheme, and I think his nosecone looks ugly as shoulders. He seems to have a wind attack called Jumbo tornado and a crossbow, but that's all he has showcased so far.

Shuttle Saber looks much better with his white/red/yellow color scheme, but his transformation seems to consist entirely of anime magic. He has a fire attack called Shuttle blast and a lance.

I also like Jet Saber with his blue/white/yellow color scheme, even if a fighter the same size as a space shuttle or jumbo jet is silly. He has a lightning? (it is hard to tell) attack called Jet disposer and a sword. All three of their heads remind me of G1 Transformers, especially considering the visor eyes.

One thing that's starting to annoy me a little is that the robots seem to vary in size from shot to shot. last episode Jumbo Saber was shown to be the same size as DGX, but in this episode all three seem to be the same size as DG.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2015

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

Paper Lion this is a cool thing, and it's gonna give me an excuse to finally watch Brain Power'd and rewatch Xabungle. Even if Clawshrimpy doesn't like the shows it'll be fun to talk about Xabungle with some other dudes.

You know what, I'll give you that one. I have a bad habit of getting real heated in arguments and I've had this one with him numerous times on this board and /m/. So that's on me. I actually would really like to check out both those shows especially since I've heard nothing but good about Xabungle.

Even if we don't do the containment zone, my offer stands to do the simulcast stuff. I think Xabungle would be a great first choice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NotALizardman posted:

You might have a point if Clawshrimpy hadn't done exactly this dozens of times in the past.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Paper Lion posted:

And shrimpy, you cannot judge any books by their covers. You do however have to trust that I picked these shows because they are some combination of Good To Watch, In Your Wheelhouse, and Relevant To Showing You Things About Themes, Nuance And Character. If you think I am trying to set this up to trick you then I am sorry that you have been burned so many times to have to come to that kind of conclusion.

I know that, I was just worried because I noticed a few superficial elements.

I'm just mulling over which one I wanna do....

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

You might have a point if Clawshrimpy hadn't done exactly this dozens of times in the past.

Who cares? Oh no he's posting on some forums and doesn't like the things we do, whatever will we do?

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm just mulling over which one I wanna do....

xabungle xabungle xabungle oh my god xabungle

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

You know what, I'll give you that one. I have a bad habit of getting real heated in arguments and I've had this one with him numerous times on this board and /m/.

As someone with anger issues, I know the feeling. I've made an idiot of myself a couple times already because people didn't like BF:T. And then it turned out I didn't like BF:T. Funny how that works.

That's also why I think Clawshrimpy deserves a chance, because lord knows I can be a dense fucker sometimes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll make the thread when I get home from work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NotALizardman posted:

Who cares? Oh no he's posting on some forums and doesn't like the things we do, whatever will we do?
No that's not the point, you don't need to be an aggressive weirdo about it

It's more that in this thread alone he has very obviously been picking and choosing his arguments and ignored anyone who makes a point that pokes holes in his. It's what he's apparently always done.

NotALizardman posted:

As someone with anger issues, I know the feeling. I've made an idiot of myself a couple times already because people didn't like BF:T. And then it turned out I didn't like BF:T. Funny how that works.

That's also why I think Clawshrimpy deserves a chance, because lord knows I can be a dense fucker sometimes.
He was ignoring/completely disregarding genuine suggestions until Beef Waifu stepped in though, is the thing. Giving him his own playpen to romp around in is the perfect solution, and hey, in an ideal scenario, maybe he'll learn something.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Because I keep meaning to watch more anime but then not doing it, I'll watch along if no-one minds.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

No that's not the point, you don't need to be an aggressive weirdo about it

I didn't think I was being all that aggressive, but alright. :shrug:

As for the second thing, I wasn't arguing. I think the Shrimpy Tomino Challenge is a great idea.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Me, when the challenge thread winds up being more popular than the one I made last month:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Xabungle is really good but because I am cynical I think I know what Clawshrimpy is going to think of the characters. I hope and believe it is truly possible though that he can prove me wrong. Do it Clawshrimpy, watch a thing and have a nice time, you did it once before! Also of course Turn A and Victory have superficial similarities, you doof! They're both Gundam shows written by the same guy! It's the everything else that differs and they differ a lot.

A simulwatch would be good and if everybody does Xabungle along with Clawshrimpy then it'll be fresh in everyone's minds for discussion. Not that it has to be the inaugural clawshrimpy watch-a-thon or anything.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm gonna pimp this out now. If turn a does wind up soon, you can get your official release version from right stuff. First half is like 30 bucks.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Clawshrimpy, I think things would go better if you didn't put a lot of research into each of the shows being suggested as it kinda' ruins the whole "going in blind" aspect.

I'm afraid you'll be making an opinion before even watching anything like how you're already comparing stuff to Victory and we want to see your opinions and thoughts from your experience of watching them with a fresh outlook.

Also, I know i'm being a broken record here but I have to say it again!:

Check out Macross 7 as I found it to be a lot of fun(sometimes wacky) and pretty upbeat in my opinion.

I'm not saying this should be added to the challenge but you take a moment and watch some of it sometime in the future.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Also yes, going in with a clean slate view on these things would be best.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
Well it looks like it's going to have to be Turn A anyway, I've been looking at places where I can stream the episodes and I only found a place for Turn A. I only prefer streaming video because I don't have the money to spare on DVDs and such at the moment. Especially for shows I might not even like.

And my "research" was nothing more than goggling some concept art, watching an OP, and maybe a cursury glance at a tvtropes page so I'd be knowing what I'm getting into a bit.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 21, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm kind of morbidly curious how Clawshrimpy would react to LoGH

He won't have the patience to watch it more than likely. He's stated before on /m/ that he doesn't like reading because he finds it difficult to read for lengthy periods or something along those lines. Which is probably part of the reason he's so intent on passing off a kids show as the height of literary merit.

This is perhaps a misplaced suggestion, but I recently finished reading a pretty cool book on neuroplasticity, during which the author noted researchers had had a good deal of success helping autistic people young and old expand their social skills and ability to focus among other things by using a program called Fast ForWord, which was originally developed to help kids with auditory perception issues. They even have a version specifically targeted toward helping autistic people now that I'm looking. It's a paid program, but if he's serious about rehabilitation it may be something for him to look in to.

Srice posted:

I did like my suggestion of Wandering Son yesterday what with the whole "trying to claim that GGG is making commentary on gender issues" bit, but heck trying to get Shrimpy to watch a show without robots in it sounds impossible so I like that idea too.

Shrimpy has always held up GGG as a show with a lot to say about transhumanism, so I'd assume he has some interest in that too and since transhumanism is a lot closer to robots than gender issues perhaps something with real transhuman themes would be a good idea? The only anime I can of with much to say on it though is Ghost in the Shell, which he indicated earlier in the thread that he had already seen. Now, I've no idea whether he's watched it, or is just saying he has, but if he hasn't actually seen it, then GITS:SAC might be a good suggestion to add. Not very upbeat in the same way GGG is though. I doubt there's anything that's both on the other hand.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Clawshrimpy posted:

Well it looks like it's going to have to be Turn A anyway, I've been looking at places where I can stream the episodes and I only found a place for Turn A. I only prefer streaming video because I don't have the money to spare on DVDs and such at the moment. Especially for shows I might not even like.

And my "research" was nothing more than goggling some concept art, watching an OP, and maybe a cursury glance at a tvtropes page so I'd be knowing what I'm getting into a bit.

Do not read tvtropes.

In a similar vein, do not drink poison or eat poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now I'm curious about whether there are any giant robot shows that seriously address feminism and gender theory. Apart from Victory Gundam. :unsmigghh:

Hey, I said 'seriously', not 'competently'.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Now I'm curious about whether there are any giant robot shows that seriously address feminism and gender theory. Apart from Victory Gundam. :unsmigghh:

Patlabor makes a few nods towards feminist ideas.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Brain Powerd is very heavily about family, the role of family, what it means to be in a family, whether the traditional family unit is a good or bad thing, and somewhat related to that, the topic of motherhood and what it means to be a mother versus what it means to be a woman are also topics that are covered. Despite the show getting a bit batshit at times, it is probably Tomino's clearest and most sober take on women and gender roles.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe Vandread?

Never actually saw it though....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
I watched Stand Alone Complex when it was on adult swim, and honestly.... I think GGG explored the issues of cybernetics and AI a little better actually.

For example, in GITS, Prosthetic bodies are treated like.... like some kind of fad. That anyone who's anyone needs one to keep up with everyone else, that despite it leading to serious problems (all the brainjacking) not once do people stop and think before they do it, even the drug dealer boy in the one episode was convinced he was going to need one. The only character who is completely un-cyber that the show gives any focus is the one guy who's name I forget, and he seems to be one of the ......less useful people in Section 9 just because he lacks those advantages. Prosthetic bodies and cyberbrains have becomes so commonplace they're almost required, and it kind of loses it's impact.

Where in GGG, Guy's existance as a cyborg is clearly shown to be highly unpleasant. In fact, he would of outright died 5 times over if Mamoru never adjusted his G-Stone. Compare him to the Major, who is shown to be way more perfect than Guy is ever presented as. the Major always gets her target, rarely if ever struggles to complete her mission, and most of the time she doesn't actually need any of Section Nine's help because she's that good at her job. WHere Guy is pretty much defined about how hard he has it, that he needs his team more than anything just to survive.

• Locked thread