Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

a terrible boss I once had told me to use aptitude instead of apt-get because "apt-get doesn't believe in GNU"

I refuse to check around to see what the gently caress he was talking about

your boss is just an idiot

they're both dfsg-free, gpled frontends to libapt, another dfsg-free, gpl project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
In university I had a prof who wouldn't accept assignments if they were zipped rather than gzipped tarballs because freedom or something.

He also did all his code demonstrations on overhead because he refused to use the windows pcs in the classroom or carry a linux laptop like all the sane profs because he they all need nonfree drivers to work.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that's just hosed up

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
that's the only justifiable argument against tenure

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ZShakespeare posted:

He also did all his code demonstrations on overhead because he refused to use the windows pcs in the classroom or carry a linux laptop like all the sane profs because he they all need nonfree drivers to work.

there was never a time when you *needed* non-free drivers for a linux laptop

guy was just a crank

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the kernel complains youre tainting it

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its your moral imperative to install non-free software on every gnu system you encounter

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

my coworkers are putting together a linux distro to put on the older refurbished laptops so we can sell them for lower prices and because the other ones are crap and difficult

they're calling it Red Panda Linux. this was done entirely independently of my input

pram
Jun 10, 2001
2015 year of hand rolled unsupported linux on the refurbished desktop

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

business plan: sell support services to people so poor they had to buy a refurbished laptop so old it needed its own linux distro

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Breakfast All Day posted:

business plan: sell support services to people so poor they had to buy a refurbished laptop so old it needed its own linux distro

isn't that what suspicious dish is doing

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

call it pooracle

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the poor are extra exploitable, this is just good(misanthropic) business sense

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pretty sure using an existent and supported linux distro might make more 'business' 'sense'

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ruby idiot railed posted:

No.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i wasn't arguing that in good faith. many idiots make forks for tenuous reasons that don't deviate from upstream. in any case i recall some small businesses pulling this poo poo in the past, rolling their own "distros" where the upfront cost is low, but charging cash for OSS utilities or shipping a bunch of broken poo poo and tying users into support contracts. parasitical

e. these sorts of scams used to be fairly popular afaik (or maybe just here, the scam capital of north america). in the past if you were a desperate anglophone you could get a job hoodwinking people into paying money for repackaged oss software p easily

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 21, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

2015 year of hand rolled unsupported linux on the refurbished desktop

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
With XP dead, linux probably has made quite a few gains in the refurbished desktop computer space.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

pram posted:

pretty sure using an existent and supported linux distro might make more 'business' 'sense'

you wont get to call it red panda linux though. im guessing thats what its really about

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

guy was just a crank

lol @ using a laptop without wireless

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ruby idiot railed posted:

no, suspicious dish's company is building new computers for people who are poorer than that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ZShakespeare posted:

lol @ using a laptop without wireless

intel wireless is the best and also the best linux driver

there are dozens of other free-as-in-freedom drivers but all you need is intel

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

no, suspicious dish's company is building new computers for people who are poorer than that

For context, our first computer is $189, and that's the Intel-based model. The ARM-based model, which I built the drivers for, is significantly lower cost than that.

More to come super soon.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

For context, our first computer is $189, and that's the Intel-based model. The ARM-based model, which I built the drivers for, is significantly lower cost than that.

More to come super soon.

do you have goon discounts?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

More to come super soon.

Your company has a top notch marketing music guy. The ting ting ting xylephone-esque sound at the beginning really causes you to expect something great.

Still not sure what your product is going to be other than "a computer", but make a post when the wall of silence falls down.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its olpc lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

funny way to spell posted:

do you have goon discounts?

No.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

its olpc lol

Besides the fact that we're not kept alive by government grants. Our product is sold directly to those who are using it. We're marketing the people actually using the drat thing, not bigwigs at AMD.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Besides the fact that we're not kept alive by government grants. Our product is sold directly to those who are using it. We're marketing the people actually using the drat thing, not bigwigs at AMD.

can you say whether or not the price includes a screen?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The price is simply a computer, without a monitor.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

is there a backup plan in the admittedly extremely unlikely scenario that people dont want linux computers

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm sure your doing good work suspicious dish. If the business fails, I hope you fail up. How do you establish a competitive brand in dozens of languages?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

is there a backup plan in the admittedly extremely unlikely scenario that people dont want linux computers

No.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm sure your doing good work suspicious dish. If the business fails, I hope you fail up. How do you establish a competitive brand in dozens of languages?

Laser sharp focus on one market at a time, and then expand from there. The things we learned from that are going into our big launch.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
good luck, i unironically hope it's a good product that succeeds in the market

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah, same. I really wish i could post more about what I'm doing, because some of the stuff we're building (which is actually completely separate from Linux and could make a really neat startup in its own right) is really awesome, but I can't share until it's ready to be announced.

I want to tell the world about all of this, about the really cool stuff we're building, but I need to play it safe. I do know the launch date, though, and I'll keep you guys updated on whatever I do.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

guy was just a crank

id say probably up until around the time of the xorg split getting the secondary output to work on a linux laptop without proprietary drivers was a nightmare

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

id say probably up until around the time of the xorg split getting the secondary output to work on a linux laptop without proprietary drivers was a nightmare

it was really easy to make a secondary output work. it was impossible to make it work dynamically

restarting X11 in order to hook up a projector was not a good user experience

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's ironic how I posted here about cheap laptop computers being the main competitor to suspicious dish's computering things in brazil and now I'm one of the guys working on the linux for these exact laptops

I feel kind of lovely, poor people deserved someone better than me to figure what the heck is going on with their realtek drivers but welp

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the important thing is that I got health plan now lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
(we're working on a laptop product right now as well. it's not going well)