Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

Eggcited to hear a trip report :)

As am I!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Disney Visa cardholder promotion dropped this morning. It's a room only discount for June 16-Aug 27. Should be open to the gen pub Monday.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Any special advantage to using your Disney Visa as your reservation/Magic Band card at check-in?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No, not that I'm aware of. I believe there are some special meet & greets and pins for cardholders, but there's no advantage that I know of for using it as your card on file.

You get the discounts early for booking your package with the card.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lincoln posted:

Any special advantage to using your Disney Visa as your reservation/Magic Band card at check-in?

None that I saw. Also while shopping the 10% off discount at Disney Stores only applied if you charged the entire purchase to the card, not the room, and you couldn't use any other form of payment like cash, gift cards, or other credit cards.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
They also have the cardholder club at the Food and Wine festival. I don't know if it's open during Flower and Garden, but they got a lounge you can go to with coke freestyle machined and finger foods.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Rumor has it the park themed Starbucks mugs are back. Can anyone at the parks confirm this?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

My friend got me a MK mug a few weeks ago. I was under the impression that only the Epcot mug was pulled.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

My friend got me a MK mug a few weeks ago. I was under the impression that only the Epcot mug was pulled.

This is correct. MK and Studios sell out from time to time, but it's not a limited run, so they re-stock them as soon as they can.

Kemian
Jul 26, 2004

Economics is not a science, and never will be!

Just coming in to say we booked a trip through Braksgirl, since she seemed so knowledgeable and helpful. And it turns out, she totally IS!
She answered my million questions, many of which were variations of the same question, and did so politely.
Never used a travel agent before, but no regrets! #yolo

We'll be in WDW end of October through first week of November. Cannot waaaaaait.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Has there been any first hand reports if the opening of the hub and it's walkways has eased the congestion after parades and fireworks?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

Has there been any first hand reports if the opening of the hub and it's walkways has eased the congestion after parades and fireworks?

I spent the entire Festival of Fantasy parade just chilling in the new gardens in the hub, and it was like I had the place to myself, even though the streets were lined with people for the show and the park was packed. It's a nice little area that is just kind of relaxing

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I spent the entire Festival of Fantasy parade just chilling in the new gardens in the hub, and it was like I had the place to myself, even though the streets were lined with people for the show and the park was packed. It's a nice little area that is just kind of relaxing

I mean more along the line of what's traffic like for us cool guys trying to get to the other side of the park and squeeze in a couple of rides while you hippies lay in the grass and watch the pretty lights. Or when the first mass exodus starts and you got to grab your family by the arm or lose them(still looking for our uncle we lost in 03(he somehow ended up in tomorrowland) )as you'd make your way through the hub.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

I mean more along the line of what's traffic like for us cool guys trying to get to the other side of the park and squeeze in a couple of rides while you hippies lay in the grass and watch the pretty lights. Or when the first mass exodus starts and you got to grab your family by the arm or lose them(still looking for our uncle we lost in 03(he somehow ended up in tomorrowland) )as you'd make your way through the hub.

Once you get through the main crowds on the street, the garden provides a clear throughway that isnt' crowded. But I imagine getting through the people on the street is just as hard as it always is.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Once you get through the main crowds on the street, the garden provides a clear throughway that isnt' crowded. But I imagine getting through the people on the street is just as hard as it always is.

Thanks for the update, happy to hear that it actually worked. Now we just have to wait for that bypass and everything will be peachy.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151621644994?roken2=tf.pSEM=.bSk0=.g48.cfb#prclt-27MSh2cg
(Monorail Car for sale on eBay)

Ya'll know you wanna buy this.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

BRB, going to sell my house and kids on ebay so I can buy that monorail car.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

Convert it into an airbnb and rake in the dough, probably don't even need to put a bed in it either.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Quixotic1 posted:

Thanks for the update, happy to hear that it actually worked. Now we just have to wait for that bypass and everything will be peachy.

Yeah it's pretty gnarly trying to cross Main Street during the exodus but once you're in the courtyards it's nice and open and moves quickly.

We started at the garden and got pushed to in front of the plaza ice cream shop by the time we made it across the street. The flood kept pushing us south.

They have been using the new much prettier bypass on the east side of Main Street now. It takes you from the plaza restrooms to the gate at Tony's (old mickey fastpass kiosk). Pretty quick and easy if you're on the Tomorrowland side.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's gone :(

Braksgirl posted:

Oh Shi anyone seen Silly Burrito?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it a smart move to rely on shuttle and public transportation in Orlando if I want to visit WDW but not stay on property? Or is it worth it to rent a car?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Is it a smart move to rely on shuttle and public transportation in Orlando if I want to visit WDW but not stay on property? Or is it worth it to rent a car?

I'm going to say no but then again I have never thought about public transport in Orlando. Let alone taking it to go to the parks.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

The Lynx bus transportation in this area is reliable. If you are on the I-Drive corridor there is the trolley shuttle that runs from end to end of International Drive. Most resorts off property have shuttle service to the parks. I work for one of the timeshares and they have a shuttle service to the park for example. I drive the route that cuts through Disney property and through pretty busy area in the tourist corridor and what we do not lack is shuttles to the theme parks in the area. YMMV depending on where you choose to stay off property but it is a good bet they will be able to meet your needs if you do not have to be at the park exactly at 10.15 AM and are flexible.

Renting a car is worth it if you want to explore other places or have a tight, micromanaged schedule you need to adhere to or have kids that can flip out at any moment and you have to take them back to the resort to tie them up and throw them in a closet.

EDIT: I do not condone 'throwing' kids at all..

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

demonR6 posted:

The Lynx bus transportation in this area is reliable. If you are on the I-Drive corridor there is the trolley shuttle that runs from end to end of International Drive. Most resorts off property have shuttle service to the parks. I work for one of the timeshares and they have a shuttle service to the park for example. I drive the route that cuts through Disney property and through pretty busy area in the tourist corridor and what we do not lack is shuttles to the theme parks in the area. YMMV depending on where you choose to stay off property but it is a good bet they will be able to meet your needs if you do not have to be at the park exactly at 10.15 AM and are flexible.

Renting a car is worth it if you want to explore other places or have a tight, micromanaged schedule you need to adhere to or have kids that can flip out at any moment and you have to take them back to the resort to tie them up and throw them in a closet.

This is good and I'm glad someone properly cleared it up for me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demonR6 posted:

Thank you so much for this, it helps a lot. I wanted to throw together a last minute visit but didn't want to drop the two hundred for a rental car
Thanks!!!!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Trolley map..

and the Lynx map with the popular destinations. Route 50 is the one I see most common since it stops by my office near Sea World.. it will stop there, the Downtown Disney Transporation hub then terminus at MK TT&C. Map here. If you get to the Marketplace Hub then you can jump on the Disney transport system and go anywhere on property. It can be a little daunting but we have tried it recently parking our car at TT&C, taking the Disney transport to the Marketplace Hub then taking 50 to the Sunrail station to ride that up to downtown.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 23, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So theoretically you wouldn't even need one to get from the airport to a off site hotel, as long as the Lynx goes there? Cool.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I would take one of the zillion taxi shuttles from OIA then look to Lynx for getting around just so you are not lugging bags on public transportation. One thing we do not lack here is shuttle service from the airport.

Eventually there are plans for rail service to the Disney property which WDW is pushing hard as you can imagine. It would go to the transportation hub at marketplace which is on the drawing board now.. who knows when it would be complete but that would be sweet.

But theoretically, yes. I see tourists with luggage jump on public transport all the time so I can only imagine that is the intent.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Speaking of Lynx, I may be relying on it for actual travel and need insight on it. I don't own a car (I actually don't have a licsence but thats a long rear end story) and I am seriously looking into living here, and am weighing all my travel options.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
PM me and I can give you my number so we can chat about your descent into darkness. ;)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Speaking of Lynx, I may be relying on it for actual travel and need insight on it. I don't own a car (I actually don't have a licsence but thats a long rear end story) and I am seriously looking into living here, and am weighing all my travel options.

What kind of rates are you finding apartments to be in that area?

I was debating on moving there too, but if Disney pays like...$9 a hour I don't know how anyone does it. Do they even hire straight up park workers?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

What kind of rates are you finding apartments to be in that area?

I was debating on moving there too, but if Disney pays like...$9 a hour I don't know how anyone does it. Do they even hire straight up park workers?

Starting salary at the parks is $8/hr but that depends on what your job is of course. I do not know a lot of hourly CM's, most everyone I know is in technical services or backstage salaried positions.

There are a couple of apartment subdivisions literally outside the gates to the entrance of the CM parking lot at MK and others within a few miles that cater to Disney cast members so pricing is geared towards them. I can always be a resource if you need help with anything in the area due to my proximity to the parks at least in the Orange County side, there are more in the Osceola County side but that is on the far side and not right smack at the gates.

I will edit with a couple of examples shortly.

Windermere Cay - this is just outside the MK CM parking lot

Citra at Windermere

Post Lakeside

Colonial Grand

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 24, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah cool thanks man :). I'm waiting for a job in something i'm experienced to open up (transportation...) but when I look all I see is Part Time jobs :qq:.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Over the years they have been taking that route of only hiring part-time seasonal or casual regular to avoid paying out the benefits. Magic Kingdom for a while seemed like it was being staffed by a lot of Chinese nationals on some exchange program.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah they don't really hire full timers. You start as part time and put your name on the waitlist for full time. Union roles so they dictate all of that. If you aren't picky you can get ft pretty quickly then transfer after six months. My roommate was on the list for character attendant for 2 years before he got it, but I started as full time concierge because they were hiring at the time.

I think most roles start around $9 since the latest contract.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There was a story in the Sentinel last year that ran where WDW agreed to meet Dear Leader Obama's proposed $10 federal minimum wage by next year. Of course they made a two year plan so they can jack up the gate passes to pay for it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah figures. Thank you for all the information though, i'm going to look into it. I actually wouldn't mind working for Universal either, or really, any theme park as that's my passion v:keke:>

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Aside from the theme parks if you really want to get down here you could look at any of the other myriad of companies that run shuttle services like Mears Motorcoaches etc. and see what they have. Anyone who lives here will tell you there is no lack of that. It would at least get you here then you can start pounding the theme parks if that is the end goal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ooooh that's a good idea actually. I didn't even consider that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Look!

http://parksjobs.disneycareers.com/...3D11487&ss=paid