Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

8 Ball posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_birth

The article is pretty dry but basically 'coffin birth' is when

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

8 Ball posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_birth

The article is pretty dry but basically 'coffin birth' is when

Yikes, spooky.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Crosspost from the Everest Thread. Not Wikipedia, but unnerving as gently caress.

Zeike posted:

lets go in

Edit: rehosted.

Nth Doctor has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Mar 21, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nth Doctor posted:

Crosspost from the Everest Thread. Not Wikipedia, but unnerving as gently caress.

"This is my hole! It was made for me!"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm not even claustrophobic but nope nope nope nope gently caress this

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

BattleMaster posted:

"This is my hole! It was made for me!"

Yessss!

Also: NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

How do you even figure out that's something you can travel through?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Davoren posted:

How do you even figure out that's something you can travel through?

It's apparently a backdoor entrance to a larger cave (so yes, there is another way out.)

Why you'd want to go in that way specifically, I have no idea.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Sex Hobbit posted:

It's apparently a backdoor entrance to a larger cave (so yes, there is another way out.)

Why you'd want to go in that way specifically, I have no idea.

Trapping people in tiny holes is one of the ways nature eliminates malfunctioning fear lobes from the gene pool.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Nth Doctor posted:

Edit: rehosted.

This is exactly how Mr Boods has to access his man cave/garage.

It also reminds me of certain dresses I wiggled into in my salad days :allears:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390
Airplane pilot windscreen retention bolts were too small, but the difference was imperceptible to the human eye so they were installed anyways. The windscreen flies off halfway through the flight, one of the pilots gets sucked out of the plane as the copilot hangs onto him. The copilot has to take an emergency landing while holding onto the pilot, as the flight attendants try and prevent people from freaking out at the sight of a presumably dead pilot smashing his frozen head against the plane's exterior.

quote:

Lancaster's face was continuously hitting the direct vision window; when cabin crew saw this and noticed that Lancaster's eyes were opened but not blinking despite the force against the window, they assumed that Lancaster was dead. Atchison ordered the cabin crew to not release Lancaster's body despite the assumption of his death because he knew that releasing the body might cause it to fly into the left engine and cause an engine fire or failure which would cause further problems for Atchison in an already highly stressful environment.
Terrifying because of how such a small error can have such huge consequences in aviation, life-affirming that the situation was so well handled.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

snucks posted:

Airplane pilot windscreen retention bolts were too small, but the difference was imperceptible to the human eye so they were installed anyways. The windscreen flies off halfway through the flight, one of the pilots gets sucked out of the plane as the copilot hangs onto him. The copilot has to take an emergency landing while holding onto the pilot, as the flight attendants try and prevent people from freaking out at the sight of a presumably dead pilot smashing his frozen head against the plane's exterior.

Terrifying because of how such a small error can have such huge consequences in aviation, life-affirming that the situation was so well handled.

Jesus loving christ that is terrifying. I've alway hated flying and stories like this chill my blood. I think the best description I ever heard of flying was " a bunch of strangers strapping themselves into an aluminium tube and spitting in the face of physics for hours".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Speaking of aviation, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

And the most British understatement of all time:

Captain Eric Moody posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bobby Digital posted:

Speaking of aviation, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

And the most British understatement of all time:

A bit of a pickle, what.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Saudi airliner catches on fire mid-flight, the crew and passengers asphyxiate before they can get the doors open after landing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

C.M. Kruger posted:

Saudi airliner catches on fire mid-flight, the crew and passengers asphyxiate before they can get the doors open after landing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

:stare:

quote:

Saudi officials subsequently found two butanestoves in the burned-out remains of the airliner, with a used fire extinguisher near one of them. Previously, some airlines used to allow passengers to use butane stoves on board. However, current aviation regulations forbid them.

One early speculation about the cause of the crash, claimed the fire originated in the passenger cabin, after a passenger used his own butane stove to heat water for making tea

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
e: Holy poo poo all the aviation posts in the time it took me to write this!

I have a morbid fascination with air disasters. The ones that hit me the hardest are probably those that are foregone conclusions. One of those is NationAir/Nigeria Airways Flight 2120. This was a chartered DC-8 out of Jeddah in Saudi Arabia and carrying 247 passengers and 14 crew, most of the passengers were pilgrims returning from Mecca.

The company was under a great deal of pressure to simultaneously cut costs and keep planes in the air, several days before takeoff the company's lead mechanic noticed that two of the plane's tires were underpressured. On the day of the flight he attempted to find the nitrogen to top up the tires.

From the Saudi report:

quote:

The coordinator stated that at about the time that all passengers had been loaded, shortly before 0800 hours, the mechanic told him that he needed nitrogen to inflate a tire. The coordinator further stated that he observed the rear inboard tire of the left main gear bogie to be underinflated.

A ramp supervisor stated that he drove the mechanic to a support facility. They asked for nitrogen but were told that the bottles were empty. The only other source of nitrogen would have been Saudi Arabian Airlines' line maintenance facility and, according to witnesses, the inevitable delay in obtaining nitrogen from this source was unacceptable to the project manager. The coordinator stated that the project manager said: "Forget it."

The plane was declared fit to take off by the operating flight engineer who had no involvement in the aircraft servicing. The maintenance records were falsified to appear as if the tires were properly topped up.

As the plane was taxiing down the runway the CVR recorded:

quote:

Unidentified crew member: "What's that?"
FO: "We got a flat tire, you figure?"
Capt: "You're not leaning on the brakes, eh?"
FO: "No, I'm not. I got my feet on the bottom of the rudder."
Capt: " Eighty knots. Ninety knots now."
FO: "Ninety know, check." (An intermittent oscillating sound is now heard. The transcript says this sound is different from the first flapping sound heard above.)
Flight Engineer Victor Fehr (FE): (commenting on the sound), "Sort of a shimmy, like if you're riding on one of those, ah, thingamajigs."
Capt: "Rotate"

Due to the immense extra weight the tire next to the underinflated tire was carrying the number 1 tire on the left side exploded. This was followed shortly by the number 2. Rather than spin, the now exposed metal rim dug into the runway, grinding it down and heating it up. This very quickly led to the remnants of the tire to catch fire. Due to the height and angle of the tower, noone at Jeddah's ATC could see the plane gear during takeoff. Seconds later the CVR recorded:

quote:

Capt: "Positive rate."
FO: "(Landing) gear up."

From this moment the plane was doomed. The burning tires were retracted into the belly of the plane. There were no sensors in the wheel well that could've given the flight crew an indication of the now raging fire on board their plane.

The first indication that something was amiss was when a warning came on alerting the crew that the plane wasn't pressurising properly. This was followed shortly by a spoiler light, a gear unsafe light, a flap-slot light and eventually the loss of all hydraulics. The fire was eating through vital cables and pipelines that ran from the flight deck to the various components that allowed for controlled flight.

As the crew levelled off the plane at 2000 feet, they called ATC to return to the airport. Due to a failure in communication the controller at the tower mistook their flight for a Saudi aircraft that was also having pressurisation issues. Flight 2120 began a long turn back towards the airport.

Meanwhile behind the flight deck, the fire had quickly spread from the wheel well and up into the cabin. The floor of the cabin was an inferno of melted and twisted metal. The Flight Data Recorder logged an attempt to open the cabin door as an attempt to clear the suffocating smoke, but this was impossible at the speed and altitude the plane was at.

11 miles from the runway, the first passenger fell through the cabin floor to the ground below. The plane continued to leave a trail of bodies, luggage and other debris from this point onwards.

In the flight deck, things were also getting desparate. While on approach to the airport, the pilot lost all hydraulic control of the aircraft. With just two miles to go to the edge of the runway, he calls for landing gear to be brought down. Seconds later the plane slammed into the ground, 2,000 feet short of the runway, killing all aboard.

At the time of the crash, the crew were not required to abort a takeoff after a tire failure. Failures like this are reasonably common, the resulting fire obviously isn't. The NTSB report stated that

quote:

Had the crew left the landing gear extended, the accident might have been averted.

The canadian TV series "Air Crash investigation" covered this flight and is definitely a must-watch for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUa_6HmHd04

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

snucks posted:

Amazing because Lancaster, the pilot, not only lived but was back at work flying less than five months after the accident.

:britain:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Gibfender posted:

11 miles from the runway, the first passenger fell through the cabin floor to the ground below.

Jesus. :stonk:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Gibfender posted:

The canadian TV series "Air Crash investigation" covered this flight and is definitely a must-watch for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUa_6HmHd04

Air Crash Investigation awesome and I would have recommended it if you hadn't already, they have a ton of them in on-demand on Sky if you're in the UK.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Nettle Soup posted:

Air Crash Investigation awesome and I would have recommended it if you hadn't already, they have a ton of them in on-demand on Sky if you're in the UK.

Agreed, I've watched every episode far too many times

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I've always had a thing about Air France flight 447, probably because it's what led to my morbid fascination with plane crashes.

At the time it was a huge mystery: a seemingly routine and uneventful flight disappears off of radar, it takes months to find the wreckage and years (and deep ocean unmanned subs) to find the CVR. Basically an inexperienced copilot freaked out while crossing the intertropical convergence zone and kept trying to climb, to the point that the plane lost the ability to stay airborne and just fell out of the sky into the ocean. (Ok it was a bit more complicated than that, involving the airbus's different "will the plane respond to ridiculous suicidal control inputs" modes, but still.)

I'm betting that's what happened to the Air Malaysia flight that disappeared in December.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I still find it impossible that a passenger aircraft can totally disappear, in this day and age.

Considering the number of tracking enabled devices on board normally, how many people actually put their phones into airplane mode anymore?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

I still find it impossible that a passenger aircraft can totally disappear, in this day and age.

Considering the number of tracking enabled devices on board normally, how many people actually put their phones into airplane mode anymore?

Not a lot of cell towers in the middle of the ocean to report to.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
There was also that thing back in 2003 when an American flight engineer and a Congolese mechanic stole a 727 in Angola and vanished without a goddamn trace.
http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/the-727-that-vanished-2371187/?all

quote:

Ben Charles Padilla, a certified flight engineer, aircraft mechanic, and private pilot, disappeared while working in the Angolan capital, Luanda, for Florida-based Aerospace Sales and Leasing. On May 25, 2003, shortly before sunset, Padilla boarded the company’s Boeing 727-223, tail number N844AA. With him was a helper he had recently hired, John Mikel Mutantu, from the Republic of the Congo. The two had been working with Angolan mechanics to return the 727 to flight-ready status so they could reclaim it from a business deal gone bad, but neither could fly it. Mutantu was not a pilot, and Padilla had only a private pilot’s license. A 727 ordinarily requires three trained aircrew.

According to press reports, the aircraft began taxiing with no communication between the crew and the tower; maneuvering erratically, it entered a runway without clearance. With its lights off and its transponder not transmitting, 844AA took off to the southwest, and headed out over the Atlantic Ocean. The 727 and the two men have not been seen since.

Who was flying 844AA? Had something happened to make Padilla take that desperate chance? Or was someone waiting inside the airplane? Leased to deliver diesel fuel to diamond mines, the 727 carried 10 500-gallon fuel tanks and a few passenger seats in its cabin. Less than two years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the 727’s freakish departure triggered a frantic search by U.S. security organizations for what intelligence sources said could have been a flying bomb.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Imagined posted:

Not a lot of cell towers in the middle of the ocean to report to.

Cell towers, what about satellites?

Or things like good ol' radio triangulation

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sappo569 posted:

Satellite bandwidth is expensive as gently caress.

That being said, the Air France flight was reporting home pretty much until the moment it hit the water. It's just that planes move fast as gently caress, they don't transmit their position all that often comparatively, they sink fast and the ocean is hella big and hella deep.

Seriously. The ocean is loving big. And you can't see very far at all through it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sappo569 posted:

None if the devices passengers are likely to be carrying would be of any use for that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dissss posted:

None if the devices passengers are likely to be carrying would be of any use for that.

Plus you'd need to have someone tracking at that moment, which nobody will do unless they get paid. Even those satellite pagers people take into the wood only report in on a schedule or when they're pinged / the user pushes a button. Long range communications use up a shitload of battery juice.

If the weather's good, you're high enough above the water and the tower is high enough, you might get a cell phone signal ten miles out on the water. I've managed to text people from fifteen miles out, from about six storeys above the water. From a plane you might be able to get a little more. At some point, though, the distance is just too big for your little 0.5W cell phone.

Satellite devices aren't great from inside a plane, what with the aluminium tube blocking your line of sight and all.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Soviet pilot thinks it's cool to let his kids fly the plane for a while, one kid somehow gets the jet to bank 90 degrees, plane crashes as a result

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

The corresponding Air Crash Investigation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQWwU6yUMw

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Apparently ships have a thing that constantly pings their position to this company in the UK. The company offered to allow airlines to do the same but a lot of Asian airlines (not sure if others do it or not) didn't bother since that would cost money and they're not regulated much.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Soviet pilot thinks it's cool to let his kids fly the plane for a while, one kid somehow gets the jet to bank 90 degrees, plane crashes as a result

quote:

Despite the struggles of both pilots to save the aircraft, it was later concluded that if they had just let go of the control column, the autopilot would have automatically taken action to prevent stalling, thus avoiding the accident.

I know that many pilots have performed heroics like those a few posts up, but I watched a few cockpit videos where the only thing the pilots where doing for hours was twiddling the autopilot knobs and I don't know how we can expect them to not gently caress up in an emergency situation. (Well, training, I know, but that seems to be too expensive for many airlines.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
:allears: for airline disasters. I'm on a Trans-Atlantic BA flight next week, and there's always something horrid happening at airports/flights just before I have to fly. (eg: maniac with a machete at the New Orleans Airport, where I have to go for a conference in a week, &c).

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Mar 22, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bamhand posted:

Apparently ships have a thing that constantly pings their position to this company in the UK. The company offered to allow airlines to do the same but a lot of Asian airlines (not sure if others do it or not) didn't bother since that would cost money and they're not regulated much.

There's a lot of those systems, you can. Apparently even get. Satellite positions from https://www.marinetraffic.com although I never tried it because $.

But again, it costs money, is of very limited use outside of an emergency, and as we saw in the Air France crash, it doesn't help that much after an accident.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I enjoy Air Crash Investigations, but the most unnerving part about that show, to me, is the announcer. I've never heard someone so pissed to say that no one was killed in an accident before.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

AnonSpore posted:

A bit of a pickle, what.

Well they don't want to make a fuss.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

bean_shadow posted:

Well they don't want to make a fuss.

You joke but some years ago in England, a train was diverted temporarily into a sidetrack and forgotten by the rail controllers. It was found the next morning with the passengers and crew still on board, complaining.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not a wiki article, just an anecdote for those who like a good creepy story about airplane crashes.

I lived on Long Island when TWA Flight 800 went down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

A nice regular customer at my bf's video rental store was a NYPD diver. Usually his job entailed going into the Hudson to try to find guns thrown into the river, helping to pull cars that had sunk, that sort of thing. When 800 went down, the authorities called everyone in the area with diving chops to help retrieve bodies and wreckage, even though it was outside NYC proper. He was on that team.

As the diver told it... He's down there and comes across a woman, still belted into her seat. The woman starts moving, and not in a way that matches the ocean current. She looks, incredibly, alive. He checks his tanks to make sure he's not flipping out on nitrogen narcosis; there's no way anyone's still alive who's been down there so long.

Upon closer inspection, her corpse was chock full of crabs feasting on her. Their movement was pulling her around like a puppet.

Needless to say, my bf gave him free rentals on the comedies he was renting to get his mind off that horror. I know it sounds pretty STDH, but we had no reason to not believe dude's story, he never bragged about any exploits prior to that, and the look in the guy's eyes convinced my bf that Dude Had Seen Some Serious poo poo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As the diver told it... He's down there and comes across a woman, still belted into her seat. The woman starts moving, and not in a way that matches the ocean current. She looks, incredibly, alive. He checks his tanks to make sure he's not flipping out on nitrogen narcosis; there's no way anyone's still alive who's been down there so long.

Upon closer inspection, her corpse was chock full of crabs feasting on her. Their movement was pulling her around like a puppet.

Jesus loving christ. Out of all of the stuff posted in this thread, I think I had the most visceral "FUCKIN NOPE" to that image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Yeah, I worked in a funeral home for a year and by most folks' standards I've Seen Some poo poo but that's something the gently caress else entirely. Small mercy that we had no floaters during my year there (well, one, but she was only under long enough to drown, not to get waterlogged/crabmunched).