Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Kaubocks posted:

I will never get tired of bear traps and I'm a bit sad that I don't remember seeing them in RE5 or 6.

Oh traps make a triumphant return in The Evil Within. I just loved creeping through a village slowly killing crazy people just to get instakilled by a trap.

EDIT: Oops, thought for a second I was in the things dragging games down thread.

Fatty has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
For all of its weaknesses, I did like that one part in The Evil Within where you were attacked by a bunch of enemies and the best strategy was to Home Alone them through all the traps.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

A little more Hotline Miami 2 talk. I didn't realize how much of the (spoiler about the end) nuke is portrayed right out in the open even before you play it. The "cover art" is Beard witnessing the wall of fire. The title screen shows a windy Miami because of the blast. I think you can even see that it's slightly brighter on the left hand side. Also when switching on Hard mode you have the nuclear wasteland in the background but that's after everything.

This friggin game :)

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

A little more Hotline Miami 2 talk. I didn't realize how much of the (spoiler about the end) nuke is portrayed right out in the open even before you play it. The "cover art" is Beard witnessing the wall of fire. The title screen shows a windy Miami because of the blast. I think you can even see that it's slightly brighter on the left hand side. Also when switching on Hard mode you have the nuclear wasteland in the background but that's after everything.

This friggin game :)

Also: try selecting new game after finishing the story.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I think we've all agreed that Hotline Miami 2 does a whole heap of stuff wrong, but I really liked playing as the twins- being able to blow through a level eviscerating fools with a chainsaw while blasting anyone who tries to interfere was as close as it got to actually improving on the flow of the first game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Fewer things wrong than 1 did, I think.
Had to appreciate it not suddenly shoving in a three hit boss fight and awkward stealth section that I never want to replay.
That and having more than the four generic enemy types was good too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ETCh0tFRc

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

you posted this in the wrong thread you loving rear end in a top hat

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

BBJoey posted:

you posted this in the wrong thread you loving rear end in a top hat

Iunno. Seeing the tool stunned speechless by his total failure was pretty funny.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FredMSloniker posted:

Iunno. Seeing the tool stunned speechless by his total failure was pretty funny.

If the whole bit with him putting the shades and music on was done in post production, I would actually respect the poo poo out of him for taking the piss out of himself like that. Live, and he's a douche.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hotline Miami 2 is actually an improvement over the original in basically every way in my opinion. The only thing they did "wrong" in my opinion is made the playerbase incredibly divisive by ramping up the difficulty considerably. A lot of people take issue with this in my opinion because they forgot that Hotline Miami is supposed to be a difficult game. It's very common for people to mistake elements of difficulty (glass, open spaces, guns) as bad game design in my opinion, that is they mistake being bad at the game for the game being bad. Of course many actually like this added difficulty and scope of the sequel.

There's no point in discussing the quality of the game here though since the two sides will never see eye to eye. Go to the game's thread if you want to tell scrubs to git gud or tell nerds they have stockholm syndrome.

This is my favourite little thing about the Hotline Miami series though, finally getting the puzzle right only to still fail because some thug with a golf club smashed your head in. :allears:

vvv This however is my favourite thing about Hotline Miami 2. :ironicat:

Jehde has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Mar 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jehde posted:

Hotline Miami 2 is actually an improvement over the original in basically every way. The only thing they did "wrong" is made the playerbase incredibly divisive by ramping up the difficulty considerably. A lot of people take issue with this because they forgot that Hotline Miami is supposed to be a difficult game. It's very common for people to mistake elements of difficulty (glass, open spaces, guns) as bad game design, that is they mistake being bad at the game for the game being bad. Of course many actually like this added difficulty and scope of the sequel.

There's no point in discussing the quality of the game here though since the two sides will never see eye to eye. Go to the game's thread if you want to tell scrubs to git gud or tell nerds they have stockholm syndrome.

lol at you trying to sneak in a snippy "here's my opinion it's objectively right but don't talk about me being right here this isn't the place"

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My favourite little thing in Hotline Miami 2 is Manny Pardo, loose cannon cop who gets results with a big black police chief for a boss and is also a serial killer because he really wants attention. Which the HM2 thread seems to think he's unaware of, which is questionable. Also the soundtrack.

Also the level design sucks compared to the first but I appreciate the differences in gameplay and the more diverse character traits compared to the masks. I hope the level editor makes things cool and good.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

CJacobs posted:

lol at you trying to sneak in a snippy "here's my opinion it's objectively right but don't talk about me being right here this isn't the place"

But they are so go back to your corner, dum dum.

Edit: more politely, you didn't seem to have much issue with the earlier person who started with "I think we've all agreed..." which is ridiculously obnoxious but don't let your selective reading get in the way of your wailing.

Sad lions has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Mar 21, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Less disagreeing about opinions on video games, more little things please.

They changed the knife in Hotline Miami 2 to be a butterfly knife this time around. As a fan of butterfly knives, I enjoy the mobsters' idle animation of twirling it around more than I probably should.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sad lions posted:

Edit: more politely, you didn't seem to have much issue with the earlier person who started with "I think we've all agreed..." which is ridiculously obnoxious but don't let your selective reading get in the way of your wailing.

While I disagree with his points I was more making fun of his petulant tone than anything. It's one thing to say that improvements have been made, which is true, but it's another thing to say that and then follow it up with "and I'm 100% right so there neener neener". Even if what you (or rather, he in this case) said is true it still makes you sound like a dickhead.

Also I don't know what you're talking about with your edit so :shrug:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Mar 21, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sad lions posted:

You're still posting about it after going "but don't respond to my opinion!" Post about it in the thread for the game instead of making a weird aggressive comment and then tell people not to respond to it because that makes you look like a way bigger dick. Nobody cares about you defending a game's honor in this thread.

To get back on-topic:

The new Dragonball game has a whole bunch of ridiculous poses based off this minor set of villains in the show. There's a set of NPCs in the games lobby all posing together set up perfectly so your character can pose with them if you want. It's a cute touch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The only reason I asserted my opinion of the game is because of the previously pointed out:

Crane Fist posted:

So I think we've all agreed that Hotline Miami 2 does a whole heap of stuff wrong

Which is blatantly false and unnecessary for this thread. It's also an issue because people hear that Hotline Miami 2 is a Bad Game and they don't bother to play it to find out for themselves if they like it or not. I assumed that goons would be able to read my opinion without needing to be explicitly told it's subjective opinion, but serves me right for assuming the better of goons I guess. I editted my original post to make it more explicit that it is opinion for those that have trouble reading it as such.

Edit: If anyone still feels the need to point out how dumb my opinion is, please do so in the game's thread, stop making GBS threads up this one.

Now please, back to the little things. :negative:

One of my favourite things about hard mode in Hotline Miami 2 is also one of the more frustrating things. Anytime you pick up a weapon, it cuts the ammo in half. So if you dropped your weapon and picked it back up, you wasted half of the ammo. This introduces a whole new level of strategy to clearing the floors. Since the hard mode levels are full of different enemies requiring different weapon types to kill, you really need to think about when and where you're going to use certain weapons.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Mar 21, 2015

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Jehde posted:

The only reason I asserted my opinion of the game is because of the previously pointed out:

Which is blatantly false and unnecessary for this thread. It's also an issue because people hear that Hotline Miami 2 is a Bad Game and they don't bother to play it to find out for themselves if they like it or not. I assumed that goons would be able to read my opinion without needing to be explicitly told it's subjective opinion, but serves me right for assuming the better of goons I guess. I editted my original post to make it more explicit that it is opinion for those that have trouble reading it as such.

One of my favourite things about hard mode in Hotline Miami 2 is also one of the more frustrating things. Anytime you pick up a weapon, it cuts the ammo in half. So if you dropped your weapon and picked it back up, you wasted half of the ammo. This introduces a whole new level of strategy to clearing the floors. Since the hard mode levels are full of different enemies requiring different weapon types to kill, you really need to think about when and where you're going to use certain weapons.

Fuckin seriously.

Dragonfall:
The fact that I have the option to betray my team in the eleventh hour to join the 'villain' due to actually agreeing with his plan was fantastic.
Shame it resulted in the end of the world.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jehde posted:

quote:

A lot of people take issue with this because they forgot that Hotline Miami is supposed to be a difficult game. It's very common for people to mistake elements of difficulty (glass, open spaces, guns) as bad game design, that is they mistake being bad at the game for the game being bad.

All the quotes in the Dragonball Xenoverse games are pretty funny, even when he's your mentor Krillin is still a complete chump. Vegeta is constantly pissed off and etc.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

No it isn't. The writing is awful from a technical standpoint, it's just significantly worse in plot because it's just a wholesale rip off with weird poo poo thrown in to try and give it personality, and even though Alan Wake's combat is repetitive it controls amazingly fluidly, the use of slow-mo is great, and the actual weapons are satisfying. Deadly Premonition's gameplay, combat sections AND town sections is beyond loving awful. It is literally a heinous unfun chore to experience in order to get to some okay quirky characterization in over long cutscenes.

Guess what? Deadly Premonition is on sale at steam for two and a half bucks. If it isn't completely terrible I am going to be extremely disappointed with you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

aardwolf posted:

Guess what? Deadly Premonition is on sale at steam for two and a half bucks. If it isn't completely terrible I am going to be extremely disappointed with you.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/deadly-premonition-review/1/

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I like this stupid, campy story you can watch for no reason during Alan Wake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wAaBoW408

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best video in Alan Wake is this Verizon commercial because a) it appears in the middle of an escape sequence) b) there is an achievement for stopping to watch it and c) this made some people really mad.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

haveblue posted:

The best video in Alan Wake is this Verizon commercial because a) it appears in the middle of an escape sequence) b) there is an achievement for stopping to watch it and c) this made some people really mad.

I thought it was pretty funny. It was probably the least appropriate point to put the ad, and all the other things I stopped to watch were Night Springs or something and it was like PLOK! WAY TO WATCH THAT AD, 5G, there is no possible way to get mad at it.

There was also a car ad, I am pretty sure. :lol:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

codenameFANGIO posted:

The TVs in Max Payne 2 all have different shows that retell the first game's stories through different lenses, like a 70s cop show called Dick Justice and a period piece called Lords and Ladies.

The best was Address Unknown, which was a Lynchian noir murder mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXUyItb1ys

haveblue posted:

I thought most of the FMV in Alan Wake was pretty weak but having the guy who played Max Payne in the first game as a guest on the talk show was pretty funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's Sam Lake, who was also the writer of Max Payne 1/2 and Alan Wake.

codenameFANGIO posted:

IIRC all of the Night Springs episodes you can watch were all written by Alan.

One thing I liked about the American Nightmare DLC were all of the videos starring Mr _______

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 21, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this? posted:

IIRC all of the Night Springs episodes you can watch were all written by Alan.

Actually, this comes up between Alan and Barry during one of the last ones you can watch. He starts to get excited but when he hears the title he's like "oh, not one of your episodes" and sighs in disappointment.

The tie-ins with Verizon and Energizer in Alan Wake are just plain hilarious because the batteries are poo poo and run out incredibly quickly and I don't think there's a single moment with a working cell phone in the whole game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

The TVs in Max Payne 2 all have different shows that retell the first game's stories through different lenses, like a 70s cop show called Dick Justice and a period piece called Lords and Ladies.

The best was Address Unknown, which was a Lynchian noir murder mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUXUyItb1ys

I would unironically watch any of the series' that come out of Max Payne.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I would unironically watch any of the series' that come out of Max Payne.

Lords and muthafuckin' Ladies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Address Unknown has a perfect 90s cult show ending.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And all the shows in Max Payne 2 related back to the plot in some way, as well. That game was a PhD course in metaplot nonsense and somehow managed to keep it from feeling over-indulgent.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That all goes back to Invitation to Love on Twin Peaks, too

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Zig-Zag posted:

I love you. I'm not the only person still in love with this game! I still play it ever 2 years or so. I managed to find d the Chinese one at a flea market last year!

Late, but holy poo poo, I forgot about Emperor. :allears: I have Zeus/Poseidon, Pharaoh/Cleopatra and of course Caesar III from GOG, but Emperor isn't on GOG or legit digital download anywhere at all, that sucks rear end. I don't have an optical drive anymore or I'd try and dig up a physical copy, because goddamn I want to play that again now.

As a side note, Children of the Nile was a pretty drat good spiritual sequel to Pharaoh without all the MOTHERFUCKING BAZAAR BITCH STOP GOING--NO BITCH GO DOWN THE ROAD WITH THE HOUSES HOLY poo poo WHAT DO I PAY YOU FOR of the Impressions games.

edit: is it still :filez: if it's a 15-year-old game? oh well, point taken

TheKennedys has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Mar 22, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Might want to edit that out again, champ.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been playing Spec Ops The Line because I was bored and got it in a humble bundle at some point. I went in expecting it to be a lot better from all the praise this thread gives it but what did own was Busey Jr as the Radioman.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Len posted:

I've been playing Spec Ops The Line because I was bored and got it in a humble bundle at some point. I went in expecting it to be a lot better from all the praise this thread gives it but what did own was Busey Jr as the Radioman.

It takes fully three-quarters of the game to get started...5/10 shooter to start, 9/10 mindtrip at the end, averages to like a 7/10 game overall. :shrug:

All the various endings own pretty hard too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evilreaver posted:

It takes fully three-quarters of the game to get started...5/10 shooter to start, 9/10 mindtrip at the end, averages to like a 7/10 game overall. :shrug:

All the various endings own pretty hard too.

I'm on chapter 14 right now and I've wanted the game to be over for awhile. Other than all the things I read about this game doing it's just an average shooter. And there's only so many times "You are a good person." can pop up before I don't give any fucks and just wished it gave better checkpoints.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jehde posted:

Crane Fist posted:

So I think we've all agreed that Hotline Miami 2 does a whole heap of stuff wrong

Edit: If anyone still feels the need to point out how dumb my opinion is, please do so in the game's thread, stop making GBS threads up this one.

I didn't mean that literally you pedantic windbag

So I've been obsessively playing Sunless Sea and I think my favourite thing so far is Visage, and when you get there you'll understand

some plague rats has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
shiiiit