Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
sorcerers make good tanks, I've got a 2 handed / sword and shield heavy armour nord sorcerer and mainly spam thundering presence and smack things with the battleaxe. sorcerors don't get many self heals (though I haven't got as far as unlocking critical surge which might help though I doubt it) so you want a healer to support you ideally, unlike a dk which is more solo-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on some confusion I'm having around crafted sets. I basically ignored crafting my first go around at this game months ago and I don't really feel like fixing that. So this means for PVP I have no choice but to buy crafted sets from other players (which is fine because I have plenty of cash money). What I'm confused about is the VR level of the gear and what happens when another player crafts it for me.

Let's say I ask someone to make me the following pieces of epic medium armor (I'm a DW/Bow NB):
- 5x hundings rage
- 2x ashen grip

Do they have to be the same VR rank as me for this to work? Or is the VR rank "set" once I equip the armor? Or can they somehow specifically which rank it's for? Basically I don't want to sound like an idiot when I ask to have my gear made nor do I want to ask for the wrong thing and gently caress up.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its the same as level 1-50 gears.
There a few different VR mats. How much of the mat you use while crafting determines what level it is. For exmaple <fantasy material name here> can be used to craft VR level 1-4 items. If you use 10 of them to make a chest, its VR10, if you use 11, it will be VR 2, and so on. Then for VR5-9 you need to use a different material.

vug posted:

sorcerers make good tanks, I've got a 2 handed / sword and shield heavy armour nord sorcerer and mainly spam thundering presence and smack things with the battleaxe. sorcerors don't get many self heals (though I haven't got as far as unlocking critical surge which might help though I doubt it) so you want a healer to support you ideally, unlike a dk which is more solo-ish
Critical Surge is really good if you spec for it. My sorc wears medium armor and has 56% crit chance and I can tank mobs all day long. Its boring as gently caress though since the build pretty much means you just do nothing but normal attacks.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 21, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

vug posted:

Are you using Cleave, specifically the Brawler morph from the 2h skill tree? Brawler procs a damage shield depending on the number of targets you hit, which is a really good way to charge into a group and just start laying the damage on. I like to use Boundless Storm before engaging a group, Critical Charge a target, then just hit Brawler to avoid taking direct damage. The damage shield refreshes and stacks everytime you use it.

Overture posted:

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on some confusion I'm having around crafted sets. I basically ignored crafting my first go around at this game months ago and I don't really feel like fixing that. So this means for PVP I have no choice but to buy crafted sets from other players (which is fine because I have plenty of cash money). What I'm confused about is the VR level of the gear and what happens when another player crafts it for me.

Let's say I ask someone to make me the following pieces of epic medium armor (I'm a DW/Bow NB):
- 5x hundings rage
- 2x ashen grip

Do they have to be the same VR rank as me for this to work? Or is the VR rank "set" once I equip the armor? Or can they somehow specifically which rank it's for? Basically I don't want to sound like an idiot when I ask to have my gear made nor do I want to ask for the wrong thing and gently caress up.

No, you can ask anyone to make you a set of armor specific to your level. The rank is set when it's crafted because crafting allows you to set the level of the armor.

If you want item sets, find me ingame @Scyantific and I can craft you those.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Scyantific posted:

I got infected last night apparently. And of course I gotta get like 6 levels before I can infect others once every 7 days.

It's really easy to get the necessary kills to rank up the werewolf tree. Elite mobs and bosses count for 5 and 10 kills respectively and usually have extra mobs near them you can kill whenever in werewolf form.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Are you using Cleave, specifically the Brawler morph from the 2h skill tree? Brawler procs a damage shield depending on the number of targets you hit, which is a really good way to charge into a group and just start laying the damage on. I like to use Boundless Storm before engaging a group, Critical Charge a target, then just hit Brawler to avoid taking direct damage. The damage shield refreshes and stacks everytime you use it.

No, you can ask anyone to make you a set of armor specific to your level. The rank is set when it's crafted because crafting allows you to set the level of the armor.

If you want item sets, find me ingame @Scyantific and I can craft you those.

On the EU server actually, but I appreciate the offer!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Did this game ever develop much of an end game? I played at launch and quit not long before Craiglorn, which seems to have turned out rather underwhelming. Aside from PvP is there much else to do at max level?

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Please send me some guild invites to @minsky. Preferably the DC one because that's where all my main guys are from launch.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Overture posted:

- 5x hundings rage
- 2x ashen grip

Whatever level the item gets crafted at is going to be the level of the item. So if you're VR1 and you have someone make you a suit of VR14 you aren't going to be able to equip it, and similarly if you're VR14 and you have someone make you VR1 gear it's basically going to be useless to you. Make sure when you commission your equipment they're making it at the VR you want to be using it as.

Basically, think of VR as extra levels. Instead of it being 50-VR1 to 50-VR14, it's really just 51-64.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You can, in fact, get a vampire bite without those roaming spawns - if you side with the daddy in Eastmarch or Rift quest, don't remember which one has it.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I hate both money and myself. EP invite for @Xexre please?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'd appreciate an Ebonheart Pact guild invite for @WizardShotTheFood.

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Could I get an invite to the DC guild for @Nullset? Thanks.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

If you're a cool dude who wants to become a werewolf, I recommend completing the Hircine quest and then staying in his hunting grounds. As soon as you finish it, you get the ability to transform. As long as you're in the hunting grounds, you have permanent werewolf.

Each kill gives you 5 points, there are 21 enemies in here that respawn, and it takes 225 kills to max out your Werewolf line. You also get okay exp and it counts toward your currently equipped weapon/armor types. About an hour of your time will max that line out and you never have to worry about it again!

Thanks to the cool guy in game who gave me this tip.

e: You also get a poo poo ton of scraps and other random drops.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I have a tip too! If you want to farm provisioning mats without consequences, go to Cold Harbor! The justice system isn't implemented there yet, so not only can you clean out all of the containers, you can also access services even if you're KoS to everyone else! :D

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Britt Burns posted:

I have a tip too! If you want to farm provisioning mats without consequences, go to Cold Harbor! The justice system isn't implemented there yet, so not only can you clean out all of the containers, you can also access services even if you're KoS to everyone else! :D
Same deal with Eyevea if you've completed the Mages' Guild questline.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Anyone else really not digging the combat? I haven't played it in a while, but didn't Skyrim just have heavy/light attacks (LMB) and blocking (RMB)? ESO seems to have that too, but also a poo poo ton of 'abilities' which seem confusing as gently caress just for the sake of having abilities. Were they trying to WoW it up?

Or am I a dumb baby? :ohdear:

Minsky
May 23, 2001

KiddieGrinder posted:

Anyone else really not digging the combat? I haven't played it in a while, but didn't Skyrim just have heavy/light attacks (LMB) and blocking (RMB)? ESO seems to have that too, but also a poo poo ton of 'abilities' which seem confusing as gently caress just for the sake of having abilities. Were they trying to WoW it up?

Or am I a dumb baby? :ohdear:

Your description of Skyrim combat is correct, but it's also why I think it's the worst part about Elder Scrolls games. I think at least ESO added some substance to the combat mechanics.

The trick is probably to look up a build for your class on Youtube or something, and work towards that until you have a handle on how combat works, and then you can try mixing it up from there.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
It's because it's on a laggy connection to a server. That's also why enemies telegraph their heavy attacks like there's no tomorrow, because anything involving timing is very fuzzy. If it was like skyrim and you had to actually aim projectiles and stuff there would need to be way more synchronisation with the server and pvp would be pretty much impossible on the scale that it's on in eso

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
In fact just about everything that;s annoying and awkward and lame compared to skyrim can be traced back to the game system being almost identical whether or not you're in pvp

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I think the games combat is pretty fun, but it is a little chaotic at times between using abilities, heavy and light attacking, trying to dodge, manage two resources, and moving/blocking.

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Just bought this after having an MMO itch for the first time in a while, looking forward to it.

Sorvah fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 21, 2015

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I forgot how easy it is to get skill points in this game. I'm so used to having to try and min/max points in builds in other MMO's. Even with Provisioning maxed out I still have 20 points sitting around at level 30.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
In as Rikki the Kidnapper on Ebonheart (@Brothritis)

Super impressed with the game so far.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Did some newbie dungeons with some cool dudes, they were fun and interesting. Up to 13 so far on my NB, looking forward to 15 and my second weapon set!

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Can anyone think of an area that features solo mobs that have quite a bit of HP around levels 47-50? I have some complicated rotations for PVP I really want to become muscle memory but it's a bit hard to test when I'm pulling groups of 3 - 6 every time. So far all I've found is groups with the occasional solo mob.

Basically training dummies... in mob form.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Posting for an invite to Ebonheart Goons, @milhaus_nixon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is this game still $60? Asking a lot for a title that bombed pretty bad and is a year old now.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Overture posted:

Can anyone think of an area that features solo mobs that have quite a bit of HP around levels 47-50? I have some complicated rotations for PVP I really want to become muscle memory but it's a bit hard to test when I'm pulling groups of 3 - 6 every time. So far all I've found is groups with the occasional solo mob.

There's that one part in coldharbour north of the city with the vampires and harvesters, is that any good?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Overture posted:

Find any of the overworld bosses marked on the map.

SoUr
Jun 1, 2008
Drop @dsour an invite please. In Ebonheart.

Alasuojus
Jul 27, 2012
I would like an invite to the Ebonheart guild for @Alasuojus.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

I said come in! posted:

How is this game still $60? Asking a lot for a title that bombed pretty bad and is a year old now.

I guess they figure now that you don't have to pay for a subscription anymore the price is ok ?

To be honest it's kind of what detracts me of picking this up too. I am not sure it's actually worth the 60 bux ? I guess I'll try to do a trial if there still are any.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess they figure now that you don't have to pay for a subscription anymore the price is ok ?

To be honest it's kind of what detracts me of picking this up too. I am not sure it's actually worth the 60 bux ? I guess I'll try to do a trial if there still are any.

I think another big drawback is, unlike some other MMOs (SW:TOR, the beginning quarter of GW2, and probably others) the story is 100% identical for everyone, which for me was a big let down. It makes the idea of leveling another character a big boring waste of time, especially since all classes have a lot of shared abilities.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

KiddieGrinder posted:

I think another big drawback is, unlike some other MMOs (SW:TOR, the beginning quarter of GW2, and probably others) the story is 100% identical for everyone, which for me was a big let down. It makes the idea of leveling another character a big boring waste of time, especially since all classes have a lot of shared abilities.

Wait, each faction gets the same quests and story ? Is said story at least interesting ?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait, each faction gets the same quests and story ? Is said story at least interesting ?

Well...something about ultimate evil bad guy demon god thing, have to stop him, get help from heroes of the past, etc. Pretty standard fantasy fare so far, afaik. There's a main story quest every five levels, so ten in total.

To be honest the side quests are at least equally interesting or sometimes even more so than the main story.

edit: another thing that bugged me is vampires and werewolves aren't available until you're about level 40, which is nearly at the level cap. I'm worried when/if they ever add the Dark Brotherhood it'll be something similar, designed for end game.

Basically you seem to be better off modding Skyrim than playing ESO. That's my personal recommendation. :(

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 22, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

KiddieGrinder posted:

edit: another thing that bugged me is vampires and werewolves aren't available until you're about level 40, which is nearly at the level cap. I'm worried when/if they ever add the Dark Brotherhood it'll be something similar, designed for end game.

This is completely wrong, just so you know. Werewolves and vampires are available as early as level 15. The only reason you'd need to wait until 40 is if you don't want to get a player to infect you. Which is the stupid way to do it since the NPC method only exists due to enforcing scarcity and ensuring that the game wasn't a vampire/werewolf fantasy land a week after launch. You can buy bites or even get them for free by asking in most populated cities.

Also they've been good about adding in gameplay features and not having it be end game only so far. Getting paranoid about that is a bit odd. Just look at the thievery system.

Edit: Also, the story does change up slightly depending on the faction. It's not a huge change, but it's there. Even so, given the scope of the plot itself it's not like every side could be doing their own independent story. At the end of the day Blue Diablo is the prime big bad of the main quest.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 22, 2015

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

KiddieGrinder posted:

Basically you seem to be better off modding Skyrim than playing ESO. That's my personal recommendation. :(

:sigh: how is cyrodil pvp ?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fathis Munk posted:

:sigh: how is cyrodil pvp ?

It's interesting. Just don't go into the VR capable campaigns when you're not at VR yet. You'll get curb stomped by people in end game gear if you do. There's a special 5 day pre-VR only campaign that is much more balanced for people who haven't hit veteran yet.

Cyrodiil has more in common with Skyrim if you want huge open zones with a variety of things to do. It's a huge zone with dungeons, capturable forts and outposts, repeatable quests, and little towns. Along with the usual stuff ESO has, like a poo poo ton of skyshards. Really, if nothing else people should do it for the insane number of skill points you can get.

It's also really profitable if you put some time into it. Contributing enough to get a reward rank means getting a sum of gold when the war is over. You also get regular item drops, and it's actually possible to find scaled purple gear from the mobs in the zone as early as level ten.

They're also increasing the gains from mobs even further soon. So that's something to keep in mind as well. At the moment both you and them are scaled level-wise to VR5. Apparently they're doubling that or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Archonex posted:

This is completely wrong, just so you know. Werewolves and vampires are available as early as level 15.

I got bitten at level 9 and my werewolf skill was maxed by level 10. :v:

e: if you don't like the price, GMG almost always has 20% off coupons available. The game has also gone on sale on steam for as low as 67% off.

• Locked thread