Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rhonne posted:

I always liked how King Yemma sent Debura to Heaven after Buu killed him just to gently caress with him and Debura ended really loving it up there.

Well y'see redemption of evil is a big theme in DBZ so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mordaedil posted:

It might also be able to read energy signatures, such as battleships and other bits of technology that emits a traceable signal, but they never went into that. Though it would explain how Raditz was able to relocate his ship among other things.

Though I guess they'd be really confused if they scanned 18 or 17 and it read kilowatts instead of powerlevel.

Nope! According to the wiki, they aren't NEARLY that interesting. I would like them to be more flexible. Alas.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think that a measuring device which explodes when it measures too much of something has fatal design flaws that need to be addressed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I think that a measuring device which explodes when it measures too much of something has fatal design flaws that need to be addressed.

Especially when those power levels are much lower than your boss and his elite fighting unit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It wasn't that it was super high, it was that it rose so rapidly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just miss scouters because they looked cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like, frieza's goons aren't big on ki manipulation. Jeice specializes in it, but only in the form of attacks - none of them charge up or whatever. So there aren't many fluctuations. Training makes them rise slowly, and maybe when they're pushed to the absolute limit they go up a bit, but Frieza isn't going to go from 10 to a million the way Goku does. It makes sense that rapid rising in power levels would make it explode, the designers didn't expect that would ever happen.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have pointed an infrared digital thermometer first at a bucket of ice and then at an open flame and let me tell you, it didn't blow up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did the open flame say 'and this... IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND'

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

YggiDee posted:

I have pointed an infrared digital thermometer first at a bucket of ice and then at an open flame and let me tell you, it didn't blow up.

That's only a difference of a couple dozen degrees. Try going from about 10 Kelvin to pointing it at the sun.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Endorph posted:

And Dabura even shows up in it.

It's not actually Dabura, Toriyama just reused his design for SandLand's Beezlebub and added bigger horns. Toriyama has a habit of reusing designs, Roshi and Yamcha are both reused designs from Dr. Slump with minor changes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Endorph posted:

like, frieza's goons aren't big on ki manipulation. Jeice specializes in it, but only in the form of attacks - none of them charge up or whatever. So there aren't many fluctuations. Training makes them rise slowly, and maybe when they're pushed to the absolute limit they go up a bit, but Frieza isn't going to go from 10 to a million the way Goku does. It makes sense that rapid rising in power levels would make it explode, the designers didn't expect that would ever happen.

The way it's presented, I think Ginyu, Freeza (I think) and Vegeta are the only people in the entire mortal universe who isn't from Namek or Earth who knows how to manipulate their ki in that way, and it's probably arguable that people from Earth only know how to do it because of the Nameless Namek.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

The way it's presented, I think Ginyu, Freeza (I think) and Vegeta are the only people in the entire mortal universe who isn't from Namek or Earth who knows how to manipulate their ki in that way, and it's probably arguable that people from Earth only know how to do it because of the Nameless Namek.

Ginyu doesn't, though? That's the reason he was so weak in Goku's body and couldn't understand why.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Rhonne posted:

Especially when those power levels are much lower than your boss and his elite fighting unit.

What if Frieza specifically had the scouters designed to explode when they measured high power levels so his minions could never know how strong he was?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Petiso posted:

Ginyu doesn't, though? That's the reason he was so weak in Goku's body and couldn't understand why.

I thought that was specifically because most of Goku's power came from the Kaio-ken and such. Specific moves and techniques, that were totally alien (ha ha) to how everyone in Freeza's army fought as far as Ginyu knew. Ginyu specifically says that he's the only member of the Ginyu squad able to mask his true power level.

Another thing, while a lot of people think that Goku just stopped using the kaio-ken and never taught anyone the technique, I always just thought that he just adapted and improved on its fundamentals. Piccolo mentions in the android saga, I think, how all the Z fighters are capable of making their power explode in an instant to get the most out of their attacks. No sense having the damaging aura going all the time when you can use it in quick, timed bursts for maximum efficiency I don;t think this has any support in the story, really, and it's probably just classic Toriyama forgetfulness but still.

Verus posted:

What if Frieza specifically had the scouters designed to explode when they measured high power levels so his minions could never know how strong he was?

It's not like something like a tiny explosion is actually a threat to anyone who wears one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

did the open flame say 'and this... IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND'

This guy gets it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Speaking of Toriyama forgetfulness, from that demon guide posted earlier:

Akira Toriyama posted:

Since he’s demonic I named him Akkuman, but I carelessly forgot and made a manga that was also named AkkuMan. I guess it’s a pretty simple idea.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The page about scouters is pretty interesting. Frieza had specific reasons for their lovely design. I'd share more but I'm on mobile at the moment. :(

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Scouter

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

my cat is norris posted:

The page about scouters is pretty interesting. Frieza had specific reasons for their lovely design. I'd share more but I'm on mobile at the moment. :(

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Scouter

I think my favorite part about that article is the note that even Toriyama had no clue how scouters were supposed to stay on heads, to the extent that he felt weird drawing them like that, but he was also too lazy to change it so he just wrote it off as alien technology.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I always figured they were some kind of suction cup thing...that just goes around your ear.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Raxivace posted:

I always figured they were some kind of suction cup thing...that just goes around your ear.
Maybe they're really light and work like clip-on earrings.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Much like the Babel fish, a Scouter is actually an independent creature which is merely hanging on for dear life.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder what that says about all of the people that break theirs in their fist.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Petiso posted:

He did say he could increase his power level when fighting Goku (which he proceeded to do). And he was trying to charge up while in Goku's body while measuring his power level, so even though he failed it does mean he's no stranger to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My favorite thing about Captain Ginyu is how he presents himself as this evil but fair fighter, but his signature technique is sucker stabbing himself near fatally and switching bodies with a stronger person.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, they decided on the chocolate parfait and they are not going to share.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Terper posted:

I was being facetious. :)

I know, I was playing with the joke as well.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Prison Warden posted:

I thought that was specifically because most of Goku's power came from the Kaio-ken and such. Specific moves and techniques, that were totally alien (ha ha) to how everyone in Freeza's army fought as far as Ginyu knew. Ginyu specifically says that he's the only member of the Ginyu squad able to mask his true power level.

It was because Ginyu wasn't used to Goku's body quite yet. As the fight goes on he starts to get stronger and stronger. Goku wasn't using kaioken when he took down Burter and Recoome, so it's safe to say Goku's base power level was well above those two's and not at the 21000 stated by Jeice.

Furthermore, the whole 'good guys have the advantage because they manipulate ki isn't really that foreign of a concept to the bad guys either, even though the plot tells you it is. At least Nappa and Freeza also hold back on their ki. While I don't remember it being said in the story, it seems like Nappa's base power was 4000, but he was able to hold his own against Goku when he calmed down/powered up. Some kind of ki manipulation is going on there. Freeza in his fourth form is also an example. Cell holds back too, but I think the concept of "bad guys don't manipulate ki" is a product of the Saiyan/Freeza sagas.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

facebook jihad posted:

It was because Ginyu wasn't used to Goku's body quite yet. As the fight goes on he starts to get stronger and stronger. Goku wasn't using kaioken when he took down Burter and Recoome, so it's safe to say Goku's base power level was well above those two's and not at the 21000 stated by Jeice.

That's anime-only. In the manga he continues to struggle against them Gohan and Krillin until Vegeta finishes Jeice and then punches his lights out.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKdLrnVYQs4

I don't know what's happening in this video featuring the Japanese cast, but it is fascinating and horrifying.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

It's Ginyu's reaction what bothers me. He should know how body change works, it's his signature technique, getting used to the body is a reasonable requirement, but he was surprised he wasn't as strong as Goku was from the get-go.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Petiso posted:

It's Ginyu's reaction what bothers me. He should know how body change works, it's his signature technique, getting used to the body is a reasonable requirement, but he was surprised he wasn't as strong as Goku was from the get-go.

Ginyu doesn't know kaio ken.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BattleCattle posted:

Ginyu doesn't know kaio ken.

Goku's base power level cannot be 21000.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Anybody have any idea what the track is that's playing right before the SSJ3 theme kicks in? I figure someone here might recognize it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Petiso posted:

Most people don't manipulate ki. Heck, outside of Namek and Earth, most strong people are like Hercule and Freeza: they rely solely on their base abilities. So, in other words, the gap after body switching is probably low. There is likely a learning curve, but it's a moot point if the person was worth switching bodies with. Goku and the rest of the Z-Warriors, on the other hand, operate so differently that Ginyu, without training to learn how to manipulate ki as well, cannot even get close to reaching Goku's level.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So is it safe to assume the Ginyu they fight on Namek isn't his original body?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rhonne posted:

Almost certainly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rhonne posted:

According to promotional materials for movie 5, it's Salza's.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I think an old interview said that Frieza and maybe Jeice are the only two people left alive in the universe that has any clue what he actually looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Stairmaster posted:

According to promotional materials for movie 5, it's Salza's.

What? I've never heard this before, although the wiki says that Salza knows what Ginyu originally looked like(and that Ginyu fought with Salza to lead Cooler's elite mooks).

• Locked thread