Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks thread, now I am reminded that there is no recent battle network game.

I never really enjoyed the regular mega man games because I suck at 2d platformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

one of the major flaws of all of the Mega Man games is that it is difficult not to side with Dr. Wily over Dr. Light, and you wish poor Mega Man would wake up and join his true master.

I'm not a big fan of the obnoxious nerd trend of reimagining children's fiction as grim and gritty, but the Mega Man universe is pretty apocalyptic and horrifying if you think about it past the cutesy graphics and terrible voice acting. Dr. Light's robotics breakthrough that were meant to marignally improve quality of living lead to a horrible neverending arms race spearheaded by a terrorist.

Must not be great to know the crossing guard robot that helps your kids every day can turn into a city-leveling death machine if Dr. Wily gets a hold of him!!!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nasgate posted:

Thanks thread, now I am reminded that there is no recent battle network game.

I love how the world of Battle Network was both fairly prescient and completely off the mark. Like, on one hand we totally did end up having personalized tiny handheld computers that handle everything and our televisions and air conditioning have computers in them, but on the other hand wifi exists and Siri doesn't fight Pokemon battles.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I want a megaman game where you can play as Roll.

Also give her a non-stupid power like armor that transforms into a car because a rolling vehicle would atleast have her name make sense in English Speaking Countries.

I mean in a series where everyone's power is directly stated and then followed by man, having one of the main characters use a detached name is kinda odd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She and Rock weren't named after their functions b/c they were supposed to be Light's creepy way to make up for wasting his life and never having real children.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Doctors Light and Wily couldn't have children together, no matter their mastery of science, and it drove them both insane.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Three decades too late, Light found out about adoption agencies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Light and Wily weren't colleagues who split up in the original japanese version of the game, which is why the third game, their first canon collaboration, has RW logos on everything.

I think it kinda works better if they were tho.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How difficult are they?

Overall they're not too bad, but both have a couple real motherfucker stages. X5's refights also take forever because Capcom decided more difficult = takes longer to kill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The battle network games follow a divergent timeline where some dude convinced Light to work on software poo poo instead of robots and that basically made people completely lose interest in robotics and Dr. Wily was like THIS IS BULLSHIT ROBOTS ARE AWESOME AND NO ONE WILL FUND MY RESEARCH GOD drat IT I'M GONNA DESTROY THE INTERNET!!!

I really like Mega Man lore. It's exactly the right kind of stupid.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

She and Rock weren't named after their functions b/c they were supposed to be Light's creepy way to make up for wasting his life and never having real children.

Well that's a better alternative compared to what Batman did.

I mean he made Terry's father get an injection that made his body produce Bruce Wayne sperm.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doctors Light and Wily couldn't have children together, no matter their mastery of science, and it drove them both insane.

Rock and Roll, as a blue boy robot who is a warrior and a robot girl in a dress who is a domestic, are symbols of heteronormative patriarchy. Meanwhile, Dr. Wily has produced hundreds of robots who are exclusively gendered male with the sole exception of Splash Woman.

They split because Wily was a fag, not because they were in love, and Mega Man is about the triumph of traditional gender roles and heterosexuality over weird queer commie poo poo.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

I love how the world of Battle Network was both fairly prescient and completely off the mark. Like, on one hand we totally did end up having personalized tiny handheld computers that handle everything and our televisions and air conditioning have computers in them, but on the other hand wifi exists and Siri doesn't fight Pokemon battles.

Everyone using a unique navi is just running Android with a custom ROM and a cute frontend. The frontends are real simple, too; Chaud had the source code for Protoman memorized, FFS. All those generic Navis running around? iOS users and people who haven't messed with their phones much.

MMBN even had loving deep web, like Lan would jack into someone's computer and then find a proxy with a portal to the deep web and they called it the undernet but man MMBN was made before deep web was much of a thing :stare:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gay skull posted:

Everyone using a unique navi is just running Android with a custom ROM and a cute frontend. The frontends are real simple, too; Chaud had the source code for Protoman memorized, FFS. All those generic Navis running around? iOS users and people who haven't messed with their phones much.

MMBN even had loving deep web, like Lan would jack into someone's computer and then find a proxy with a portal to the deep web and they called it the undernet but man MMBN was made before deep web was much of a thing :stare:

The fact that it's buried in a game series where radioactivity can make the internet real, meteors are controlled by computers, and your Android ROM is powered by the soul of your stillborn twin brother just makes it that much better!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

remember when that Bob and George guy made a Mega Man sprite comic for like 10 years, updating every day? The internet used to be weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well that's a better alternative compared to what Batman did.

I mean he made Terry's father get an injection that made his body produce Bruce Wayne sperm.

I try really hard to pretend that plot and the Batman/Batgirl relationship never happened.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im playing GTA 4 and its expansions again and it's not even funny how much better than every saints row it is woah

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

im playing GTA 4 and its expansions again and it's not even funny how much better than every saints row it is woah

Idk 2 had a lot of neat stuff despite its weak core mechanics. I think 3 is the only weak link.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Gta 4 is such a boring piece of poo poo.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Only way to make that game fun was having our group of 6+ friends jousting with helicopters in free roam, the campaign is hot garbage

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 4 was the start of the "we need more real world elements" cancer that killed GTA 5 which could have been actually good so I will always hold a small grudge against it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

actually GTA 4 is fantastic and pushed the series back to where it was headed after the huge misstep that was san andreas

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

GTA 4 was the start of the "we need more real world elements" cancer that killed GTA 5 which could have been actually good so I will always hold a small grudge against it.

lmao are you serious

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

lmao are you serious

Entirely. GTA 4 managed to be one of the most depressing games I've ever played. The fact that it's all an ugly shade of gray-green and light brown does not help. I wanted really hard to like the game after SA but I just couldn't do it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Entirely. GTA 4 managed to be one of the most depressing games I've ever played. The fact that it's all an ugly shade of gray-green and light brown does not help.
The worst part of GTA 4 is how everyone calls you "n'wah," it's like, man, don't use that kind of language. That is not okay.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Entirely. GTA 4 managed to be one of the most depressing games I've ever played. The fact that it's all an ugly shade of gray-green and light brown does not help.

yeah that's why it owns idiot its GTA not borderlands

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GTA isn't supposed to be depressing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo, imagine if Tiny Tina was in GTA, that would be so crazy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hmm this game doesn't let me spray poo poo on houses or fight people in S&M gear... *puffs pipe* 4/10. mother, where is my bottle?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy poo poo, imagine if Tiny Tina was in GTA, that would be so crazy.

id say that would be good maybe they could also put in the psychos as pedestrians??? haha

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

GTA isn't supposed to be depressing.

lmao have you ever played GTA or what I don't even

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like even the good games are a little too nihilistic about their humor and a lot of it is adolescent, bad South Park humor, but when it is depressing, that makes it worse. I never played 4 so I dunno if it is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

yeah that's why it owns idiot its GTA not borderlands

Stux posted:

hmm this game doesn't let me spray poo poo on houses or fight people in S&M gear... *puffs pipe* 4/10. mother, where is my bottle?

I don't expect the game to be off-the-wall wacky japes and jokes every five seconds, but by the third time in a row Niko got taken advantage of and came away with nothing and then Dan Houser waxed poetic about the American Dream being dead I realized I probably should be playing something that doesn't try pathetically to make me feel like poo poo for being alive in the 2010s. Sure, that's a fine subject for a game to tackle and if they handled it well and not like poo poo maybe the game would be better off for including themes like that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like... they are mostly off-the-wall wacky jokes, and they are mostly bad jokes, so if they are trying to get you to take it seriously now, well...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The overarching theme of gta 4 is "the american dream is dead and the only true happiness is in personal satisfaction also i'm dan houser and man i hate rich people" but everyone niko loves dies so he doesn't get to have that. GTA 5 continues this trend by having you pull of 5 massive-scale caper heists and having 1 of them actually give you a payout.

edit: i forgot some crucial numbers

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I don't expect the game to be off-the-wall wacky japes and jokes every five seconds, but by the third time in a row Niko got taken advantage of and came away with nothing and then Dan Houser waxed poetic about the American Dream being dead I realized I probably should be playing something that doesn't try pathetically to make me feel like poo poo for being alive in the 2010s. Sure, that's a fine subject for a game to tackle and if they handled it well and not like poo poo maybe the game would be better off for including themes like that.

but that is what all GTA games have been about forever I swear it's like you all think saints row is actually what ps2 era GTA games were like

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CJacobs posted:

the overarching theme of gta is "the american dream is dead and the only true happiness is in personal satisfaction also i'm dan houser and man i hate rich people" but everyone niko loves dies so he doesn't get to have that

did you even play san andreas or what

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wasn't allowed to... because the coffee was too hot!!!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefBXDjICbA

:phone: What's that, somebody's praising GTA IV and/or badmouthing Saints Row on the internet?! I'll be right over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Stux posted:

actually GTA 4 is fantastic and pushed the series back to where it was headed after the huge misstep that was san andreas

Stux you are a pro.

• Locked thread