Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I have a feeling that they're simplifying Torin to be one of the guys locked up that reforms upon coming to Earth/being defeated before becoming Silver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver will clearly be Tommy (who will need new clothes again). I will accept no other possibilities.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I just want Secretary of Defense Thomas Oliver, that's all. Have him give a presser with that blow-out hair and lovely soulpatch JDF is always rocking, but in a very conservative grey suit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The only satisfactory climax for the entire series is President Tommy Oliver morphing to fight off the returned and re-eviled Lord Zedd live on TV during the state of the Union.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

greatn posted:

The only satisfactory climax for the entire series is President Tommy Oliver morphing to fight off the returned and re-eviled Lord Zedd live on TV during the state of the Union.

You just spoiled the end of the movie trilogy

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

greatn posted:

Maybe the White House is remodeled into a massive zord?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Lincoln Monument actually. Lincoln forms the head, the leg zords come out of the reflecting pool, Washington monument is the body, and the Vietnam memorial wall is the arms.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The story of how the production of RPM was troubled was kind of interesting, because what he said was true for me, I didn't know about the complete replacement of the team and whatnot, and it was never really obvious as the viewer that that kind of stuff was going on. I know he said that the second half became more like a traditional Power Rangers series but I never noticed that since I quit watching Power Rangers part of the way through Zeo, so I didn't know about the Astronema stuff, and the show never really seemed to have a huge shift in how it presented itself like you might expect with a new creative team.

Gem and Gemma really were super annoying though, definitely my biggest complaint with RPM though it was a good series overall.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I loved this episode so much. Shelby is absolutely my favorite. She is the best one.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

RPM was my first season of Power Rangers, so watching this and being reminded of all the things I loved about it was a lot of fun. Ziggy is great, haters evacuate.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Alright so what's the behind the scenes story on Dino Charge? This feels so much more competent than everything since RPM in a bunch of ways. The story seems to hold together well, characters seem way better defined and the integration with the sentai footage feels more natural.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Detective Eyestorm posted:

Ziggy is great, haters evacuate.

Is it me, or was Ziggy in RPM meant as a parody of Ziggy Sobotka from The Wire? I mean, they already had Tenaya whistling The Farmer In The Dell as a reference to Omar, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to think that they amplified the comic aspects of Ziggy Sobotka and made him into a sympathetic character.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

J33uk posted:

Alright so what's the behind the scenes story on Dino Charge? This feels so much more competent than everything since RPM in a bunch of ways. The story seems to hold together well, characters seem way better defined and the integration with the sentai footage feels more natural.

The most obvious thing seems to have been dropping Tzachor and bringing Judd Lynn back on. Lynn, I feel, aims much more towards making Power Rangers more of an adaptation than simply a localisation. Added to which he's got some of the largest experience writing and producing the show in general, and it shows - he's written, though some in collaboration, all the episodes of the season thus far.

There are however likely a number of factors to consider too. Samurai launched to some pretty phenomenal ratings, and yet within a few years the franchise has managed to lose half of it, even in the midst of (what should have been) a big anniversary season. Bringing back Lynn is likely indicative of a more general trend of damage control, trying to focus on previously underserved or utilised areas in the hopes they stabilise the numbers and keep up merchandise sales. Ideally, they're realising that doing a cheap rush job just isn't enough.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked the RPM review, but And Action is still probably one of my favorite Power Rangers episodes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if this was confirmed, but I always wished RPM ended like this, both to twist their re-using the Astronema/Andros plot and been dark as gently caress:

quote:

The finale was "Ranger Black," where after Venjix is destroyed and Summer finally chooses which boy she wanted to be with, the sleeper programming in Dillon activates. The memories of he and Tenaya together were falsified and meant to lead the Rangers into taking him into their ranks and allowing him greater trust. Dillon NEVER EXISTED AT ALL. Now it falls to the rest of the team to destroy Venjix once and for all, even now that he controls the Morphing Grid.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm watching In Space now and made it to Dark Specters revenge and when the head of NASADA talks about how asteroids killed the dinosaurs all I could think of was Dino Charge.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

At least Power Rangers remained consistent on that, Super Sentai has given multiple reasons for the dinosaurs dying out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well so has science. I was watching Disney's Fantasia the other week, and when the conductor introduced the dinosaur section he said they went extinct because giant earthworms ate all the nutrients in the soil and turned the earth into a dust bowl. Apparently this was the prevailing theory back then.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Twelve by Pies posted:

At least Power Rangers remained consistent on that, Super Sentai has given multiple reasons for the dinosaurs dying out.

That's because Super Sentai is like pre Crisis DC, where everything takes place in different universes until they don't. So in each series thatj has a different reason, that's the reason in that universe.

Only apparently, Kakuranger and Hurricanger now exist in Ninninger too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

That's because Super Sentai is like pre Crisis DC, where everything takes place in different universes until they don't. So in each series thatj has a different reason, that's the reason in that universe.

Only apparently, Kakuranger and Hurricanger now exist in Ninninger too.

Again, until they don't.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, not really sure how to make a coherent timeline out of smashing Zyuranger, Abaranger, and Kyouryuuger together. Like, I guess Abaranger is easiest with either other show, since its bad guys and powers come from an alternate universe. But, uh, how do we reconcile Bandora and the Dino Tribes with Deboth killing dinosaurs with bad feelings?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, not really sure how to make a coherent timeline out of smashing Zyuranger, Abaranger, and Kyouryuuger together. Like, I guess Abaranger is easiest with either other show, since its bad guys and powers come from an alternate universe. But, uh, how do we reconcile Bandora and the Dino Tribes with Deboth killing dinosaurs with bad feelings?

You don't, Toei just doesn't give a gently caress about that stuff. Pick whichever team/backstory is your favorite and keep it, head-retconning the other ones to match up with it as necessary. I'm totally against these past team comebacks by the by, I feel that they are gimmicky and pandering. Not to mention that if you can't get the original actors back (and I'd be shocked if you could get all ten of them) then it really sucks to only have two or three show up in person with the others appearing for a roll call only and then going away after the fight.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The way I saw it explained in the Toku thread made sense to me:
Every sentai show is it's own universe, unless directly stated otherwise. Crossovers and Gokaiger happen in the jumbly-mess universe.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Zedd posted:

The way I saw it explained in the Toku thread made sense to me:
Every sentai show is it's own universe, unless directly stated otherwise. Crossovers and Gokaiger happen in the jumbly-mess universe.

More or less my idea too. Part of why I like the PR universe is it continues on the same path, so you get interesting backstory bits like Rita as the Mystic Mother, or SPD's team ups with Dino Thunder.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Don't forget that Go-Onger had another reason for dinosaurs dying out too, I think maybe Gaiark tried to pollute Earth back then which is why the dino trains were sealed into the volcano.

So the other night as I was thinking about the show, something occurred to me. How did Zordon get the power coin to make Tommy the White Ranger? When Rita showed back up and the power coins lost their power, Zordon said he couldn't fix the coins because he didn't make them, and that's why they had to go find Ninjor. So did Zordon just have the white tiger coin lying around somewhere and then went "Oh yeah I have this thing guess I should use it at some point"?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I thought the White Tiger powers were created by Zordon and A5. When Billy stumbled upon the powers being created, weren't the two of them speaking :techno: off-camera?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Twelve by Pies posted:

Don't forget that Go-Onger had another reason for dinosaurs dying out too, I think maybe Gaiark tried to pollute Earth back then which is why the dino trains were sealed into the volcano.

So the other night as I was thinking about the show, something occurred to me. How did Zordon get the power coin to make Tommy the White Ranger? When Rita showed back up and the power coins lost their power, Zordon said he couldn't fix the coins because he didn't make them, and that's why they had to go find Ninjor. So did Zordon just have the white tiger coin lying around somewhere and then went "Oh yeah I have this thing guess I should use it at some point"?

I remember at least one theory stated that it was originally Titanus' coin and Zordon simply repurposed it to make the White Tiger powers

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It does seem to be just a 'we made a totally new power set' thing from before they'd quite fully considered the notion of the powers coming from the likes of Ninjor, but I tend to have the notion that it showed just how really inefficient making them was for Zordon and Alpha - they could only make one from scratch, for who knows how long, and then had to absolutely drop everything through the last few days of production.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I thought the White Tiger powers were created by Zordon and A5. When Billy stumbled upon the powers being created, weren't the two of them speaking :techno: off-camera?

If Zordon and Alpha had made the White Tiger coin though, then they should have been able to repair it when the coins were damaged by Rito, even if they couldn't repair the other five.

Astro Nut posted:

It does seem to be just a 'we made a totally new power set' thing from before they'd quite fully considered the notion of the powers coming from the likes of Ninjor, but I tend to have the notion that it showed just how really inefficient making them was for Zordon and Alpha - they could only make one from scratch, for who knows how long, and then had to absolutely drop everything through the last few days of production.

I guess the theory that "Maybe Zordon and Alpha could have fixed Tommy's coin but they didn't have enough time and it was faster to send him to Ninjor with the others" works. Ninjor probably should have recognized Tommy's coin as not one of his if this is the case but it isn't really important.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Maybe they did just have the white tiger coin lying around spare, but they had to make the suit and the zord and stuff themselves.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

So the most recent episode mentions that the Zord is awake which means the Energem is bonded to someone, but they don't know who. I guess that's one way to avoid having to introduce Cyan--excuse me, Aqua--at this point. Yeah, I don't get it either, do they think kids won't know what cyan is or something? Anyway this makes a bit of sense, if they introduced him this early they'd have to come up with a convenient excuse for him to immediately leave again due to him not being in any of the fight footage. Or they could shoot a bunch of original footage but that wasn't likely to happen, so this provides an excuse for him not being around while also admitting that he exists.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's also just a pretty cool thing to have in the back burner "There's a sixth ranger around there somewhere, but that ranger is without zord and doesn't know of us... or knows and doesn't want to join!"

The episode was pretty good, too. Nice to see a girls episode done so well, hope they start becoming better buddies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

So the most recent episode mentions that the Zord is awake which means the Energem is bonded to someone, but they don't know who. I guess that's one way to avoid having to introduce Cyan--excuse me, Aqua--at this point. Yeah, I don't get it either, do they think kids won't know what cyan is or something? Anyway this makes a bit of sense, if they introduced him this early they'd have to come up with a convenient excuse for him to immediately leave again due to him not being in any of the fight footage. Or they could shoot a bunch of original footage but that wasn't likely to happen, so this provides an excuse for him not being around while also admitting that he exists.

Aqua is a cooler sounding color compared to Cyan.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The episode was pretty good, too. Nice to see a girls episode done so well, hope they start becoming better buddies.

Given that Kendall fought in this episode too I'm going to bet on her becoming Purple/Violet. She fills a bit of the same role Yayoi did in Kyoryuger, and with her also splitting up the mentor role with Keeper, it would give a reason why she isn't in a lot of fights (she's back at the base doing things).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Given that Kendall fought in this episode too I'm going to bet on her becoming Purple/Violet. She fills a bit of the same role Yayoi did in Kyoryuger, and with her also splitting up the mentor role with Keeper, it would give a reason why she isn't in a lot of fights (she's back at the base doing things).

On the other hand, since they have their own cockpit set, she could actually pilot the Plesio Zord rather than Red.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's also just a pretty cool thing to have in the back burner "There's a sixth ranger around there somewhere, but that ranger is without zord and doesn't know of us... or knows and doesn't want to join!"

I'm so glad they aren't just having Shelby and Kendall snipe at each other for the entire series.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So, is Podcasters with Attitude defunct, or something? The last episode on the wordpress site is 338 (last episode of Lost Galaxy) and the podcast still throws back error messages on my podcasting app.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

So, is Podcasters with Attitude defunct, or something? The last episode on the wordpress site is 338 (last episode of Lost Galaxy) and the podcast still throws back error messages on my podcasting app.

A few things are being ironed out behind the scenes.

When we have something official to announce, believe me, we will.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
When will Dino Charge be back? September or October?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pretty sure new episodes are still coming out throughout the rest of the month.

Last episode was neat, nice seeing Tyler showing some character. Finding energems/zords is a pretty fine goal for the team to have, makes them pretty proactive.