Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Flikken posted:

I work in the same industry as he did, different company, and in my 6 years I have only seen 4 accidents and 1 lost piece.

I don't think you caught my meaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LingcodKilla posted:

During my last year we had at least three accidents (one major), two marines shoot off their pistols (one in the cab disabling his truck)(other into a locker), I found a sealed bag missing 2k, another dude got fired for losing a bag of coins worth $30 and a newish employee got caught stealing cash from an ATM the month after I left.

In seven years I've been in one major accident and 3 minors but I've only gotten assaulted(which is pretty drat rare) once and never lost anything.

Please tell me the guy thought the divert wasn't accounted for, that would make my day.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

buttplug posted:

Hot-hot or boat hot? :smug:

She was "i used to be a model" hot. Actually hot. Pinup hot. Cute face, big tits, fat rear end. But she knew it and oh my god was she a bitch. No use for that.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

She was "i used to be a model" hot. Actually hot. Pinup hot. Cute face, big tits, fat rear end. But she knew it and oh my god was she a bitch. No use for that.

Friend of mine met a former BM3 in a strip joint in San Diego. He was broke so I had to cover the lap dance he demanded. I'm imagining she took her boat business legit and it is the same person

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Laranzu posted:

Friend of mine met a former BM3 in a strip joint in San Diego. He was broke so I had to cover the lap dance he demanded. I'm imagining she took her boat business legit and it is the same person

Pretty sure she never stripped. Do you know her name? (like actual name?)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

Pretty sure she never stripped. Do you know her name? (like actual name?)

Nope. Friend only referred to her as "boats" in a slurred drunken sailor fashion.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flikken posted:

Please tell me the guy thought the divert wasn't accounted for, that would make my day.

Lamer. He borrowed a strap $2k to gamble with and intended to put it back in but he got moved routes and he begged the guy serving the machine to put it back in.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
:lol:ing at all of the frocked and PMA eval tears.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In case it ever got lost, I just want to say gently caress ISIS.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Arione posted:

guess we're about to find out. I check out in a few months. . . till then.

Bruh the whole point of the military is having expendable people capable of performing a job. The fact that you can skate and poo poo still gets done is a fact of how much the rest of the command doesnt give two shits if you exist in the halls or if youre a bum in a ditch bleeding to death. Hell, even when I was the only person with my NEC at my command, I was easily expendable because they could have found someone else to do it, civilian or military. Strap on your skates and carry on if you want, prepare for life on the outside, but dont lie to yourself to believe you arent replaceable. Whether youre in for 5 months or youre in for 30 years, SP sailor or EP, youre expendable and the mission will still get done with or without you. No sense in being bitter about it. The joke is nothing is going to change except someone probably saying they miss your jokes.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Panda's growing up and getting logic! J/K, but YES. This. You are a body and a number.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Any gouge on resignation process for SWO?

Getting closer to that minimum service requirement time and will probably be looking to get out straight from 2nd tour due to being over 30 and not wanting to delay starting my full time grad school just to take a shore duty.

How far out are you supposed to notify CoC and PERS41? Also any advice on how to properly communicate intentions for maximum QoL until resignation papers are actually dropped?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Any gouge on resignation process for SWO?

Getting closer to that minimum service requirement time and will probably be looking to get out straight from 2nd tour due to being over 30 and not wanting to delay starting my full time grad school just to take a shore duty.

How far out are you supposed to notify CoC and PERS41? Also any advice on how to properly communicate intentions for maximum QoL until resignation papers are actually dropped?

Per MILPERSMAN 1920-090, send in your resignation at least 9 months but no more than 12 months before your date of resignation. The format for the letter is in the same document.

For communicating intentions, hell if I know. I left active duty while stationed on a carrier. My entire chain of command was aviators and the only thing they said about it was "I have no idea why any of you guys would ever stay in."

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

"I have no idea why any of you guys would ever stay in."

Aside from the cynicism and lack of leadership, sounds about right.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I got to my second DIVO tour with 1 year left in the Navy. My first sit down with my new CO (who was transferring in 30 days) was introducing myself & asking if he would process my resignation before he left. Strangely, he was 100% cool with that.

Maybe because I told him how my last ship's DH sat on my lateral transfer paperwork for 5 months causing me to skip a board that forced me into orders to his ship (even though I eventually got selected for redesignation, by that time I was under my second tour DIVO orders). Or maybe he was just used to SWO JOs leaving in droves.

My separation orders came in the week the new CO got there. My fields of fucks lay barren for my entire second tour.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I got to my second DIVO tour with 1 year left in the Navy. My first sit down with my new CO (who was transferring in 30 days) was introducing myself & asking if he would process my resignation before he left. Strangely, he was 100% cool with that.

Maybe because I told him how my last ship's DH sat on my lateral transfer paperwork for 5 months causing me to skip a board that forced me into orders to his ship (even though I eventually got selected for redesignation, by that time I was under my second tour DIVO orders). Or maybe he was just used to SWO JOs leaving in droves.

My separation orders came in the week the new CO got there. My fields of fucks lay barren for my entire second tour.

Can I get out at MSR even if PRD is past when obligation ends?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Can I get out at MSR even if PRD is past when obligation ends?

IIRC, you have to finish out your current set of orders.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

IIRC, you have to finish out your current set of orders.

There are minimum time on station requirements. If you take orders to shore duty, you have two years minimum and one year for sea duty. If you're obligation ends after you're current tour is supposed to, you'll just stay on station until you're done.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I actually just submitted my resignation. If you want my packet to just cut/paste let me know.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 23, 2015

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Anyone been to the helo dunker? I'm going this week. Any tips n' tricks?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's pretty easy and straightforward. Doesn't take long.

Unless you're one of those inner city folk that absolutely can't swim. I remember a guy trying to swim 3 feet past the ledge to the mock helo w/ gear on and immediately sinking.

I don't know how they'll do it for you but the hardest part was the first part where you have to egress without any oxygen. It's quick but you still panic. With the 02 just don't flip out and it's simple

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

DustyNuts posted:

Just do what they say and you'll be fine. The only real trick I can think of is to just hold your position for a few seconds longer then they tell you to in order to help reduce the chance of getting kicked in the face. Because there is always that one guy who kicks his feet even though he's told not to.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Ever gone free diving? If you have, just do that.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Panda's growing up and getting logic! J/K, but YES. This. You are a body and a number.

I always thought it was true but you guys helped put everything into perspective. :glomp: you guys <3

Helo dunker seems like so much fun.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

DustyNuts posted:

it isn't fun hungover

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Arione fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 24, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hooray nontraining day!

Hooray not having to do base cleanup!

Mandatory study in classroom instead.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DustyNuts posted:

Hold in a giant fart and let it out as you push out of the door so everyone behind you has to swim through your poo-gas-water

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Hold in a giant fart and let it out as you push out of the door so everyone behind you has to swim through your poo-gas-water

I like the way you think.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I did that during my wedding rehearsal. Both sides of the family had to walk through it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Trigger Warning, LCS talk

Classmate of mine from Academy days is the XO of an LCS and I got to go onboard today. Have to say, it was pretty loving awesome. He tells me O6 SWO types that come aboard can't seem to process the fact of things like people sitting down on watch, etc. Really cool to see up close and personal. Seems to be a really good deal for enlisted sailors. They have any opportunity to get quals they could never dream of getting on more traditional Navy ships and my buddy's direct quote to me was "We're only as formal as we need to be." The manning is so lean that pretty much everyone does everything. Its pretty amazing that the Navy was willing to try so many radical departures from surface SOP for this ship.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Seems to be a really good deal for enlisted sailors.
Nothing is ever a good deal for enlisted sailors. Especially

vulturesrow posted:

The manning is so lean that pretty much everyone does everything.
That usually means that they're cleaning, painting, and doing any other menial bullshit :chiefsay: comes up with on their off time between p/s watches.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Trigger Warning, LCS talk

Classmate of mine from Academy days is the XO of an LCS and I got to go onboard today. Have to say, it was pretty loving awesome. He tells me O6 SWO types that come aboard can't seem to process the fact of things like people sitting down on watch, etc. Really cool to see up close and personal. Seems to be a really good deal for enlisted sailors. They have any opportunity to get quals they could never dream of getting on more traditional Navy ships and my buddy's direct quote to me was "We're only as formal as we need to be." The manning is so lean that pretty much everyone does everything. Its pretty amazing that the Navy was willing to try so many radical departures from surface SOP for this ship.

Which bridge watchstations are actually seated?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mad Dragon posted:

Nothing is ever a good deal for enlisted sailors. Especially

That usually means that they're cleaning, painting, and doing any other menial bullshit :chiefsay: comes up with on their off time between p/s watches.

Everyone cleans (including the CO and XO), there is no exterior painting (aluminum hull and all that), and very little maintenance is actually performed by the crew. I forget the exact number but a very high percentage of the crew is "gainfully" employed when they are underway. I get the cynicism but the concept of how this ship operates is pretty apples and oranges different from your standard Navy ship.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which bridge watchstations are actually seated?

All of them. I was on an Independence variant and the CIC is actually integrated into the bridge which is kind of neat too.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Wait, watchstanders don't have chairs on surface ships? Why in the hell?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Everyone cleans (including the CO and XO), there is no exterior painting (aluminum hull and all that), and very little maintenance is actually performed by the crew. I forget the exact number but a very high percentage of the crew is "gainfully" employed when they are underway. I get the cynicism but the concept of how this ship operates is pretty apples and oranges different from your standard Navy ship.

All of them. I was on an Independence variant and the CIC is actually integrated into the bridge which is kind of neat too.

Hm. I can get some of them like helm and charts, but OOD and CONN should be moving around a lot.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Wait, watchstanders don't have chairs on surface ships? Why in the hell?

well, the captain does

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hm. I can get some of them like helm and charts, but OOD and CONN should be moving around a lot.

Why?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

I move around a ton as OOD because I can't see everything I need to see from any one place. Plus sometimes you want to talk with some watchstander in particular without having to shout across the room. But I still have a chair to use when I want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cerekk posted:

I move around a ton as OOD because I can't see everything I need to see from any one place. Plus sometimes you want to talk with some watchstander in particular without having to shout across the room. But I still have a chair to use when I want to.

Just because you have a chair doesn't you have to sit in it all the time. Vis from the seats is pretty good though. The watchstations are pretty close and everyone is on headsets.

• Locked thread