Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
They're all over that sectioned off area on the right side of the N Atlantic map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Fans posted:

Quite liking Rogue, even if it is just Black Flag again.

Why don't they drop all the Assassin/Templar bullshit and just make a pirate game? The plot to Assassin's Creed is stupid and boring but cannon salvos are not getting old soon.

I got sick of boats about halfway through 4. I want more wilderness exploration. And sneaking up on encampments.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I loved that the glyphs in either 2 or Brotherhood (can't remember) explicitly say that the Templars invented capitalism as a means of control and state that several of the Supreme Court Justices who made the call on Citizens United are members of the Order. I'm always happy when an AC game skirts easy right-libertarianism and says something a bit cleverer than that

Well, historically the Knights Templar were the first to invent issuing credit as a form of banking instead of barter so, the basis for modern capitalism is there.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I got sick of boats about halfway through 4. I want more wilderness exploration. And sneaking up on encampments.

If they insist on keeping the naval engine for assassins creed games, do the age of conquistadors.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xarph posted:

If they insist on keeping the naval engine for assassins creed games, do the age of conquistadors.

Indeed, you have my attention again. Maybe I just got sick of boats around my home continent.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
How loving long are Rogues credits

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

How loving long are Rogues credits

Ubisoft long.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

xarph posted:

I would do about a half-century later, so you can pal around with Sir Francis Drake and fight the Spanish Armada. :black101:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So how many here are planning on getting Victory? Or will you all wait for a week or so and see after Unity and Watch_Dogs?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

FutonForensic posted:

Ubisoft long.

Translated into English : About three hours.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Skoll posted:

Translated into English : About three hours.

You joke, but it seriously is longer than 30 minutes.

The best feature in Unity might actually be the fast forward button they put on the credits.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It took me longer to sit through the credits in FC4 than it took to reach them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember Black Flag let you skip the second half of the credits and they had the decency to make the first half interactive as Edward talks to his daughter.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So how many here are planning on getting Victory? Or will you all wait for a week or so and see after Unity and Watch_Dogs?

I waited 6 months after AC4 because of AC3. I'll wait at least as long after Victory because of Unity.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Actually fired Unity up again out of curiosity. The framerate is definitely more stable and it's nice that all chests and collectables are available without companion app or Initiates bullshit. I still encounter NPCs floating in the air and had a weird glitch where I just couldn't attack anyone until I fast travelled to a viewpoint.

So still rather buggy but at least it's kind of playable now. I don't expect the remaining bugs to be quashed though.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm sure I'll get it, but I'm not sure whether I'll get it right away or not. I had almost no problems with Unity, so if I based it on that, I'd be fine to get it at launch. But I'm also aware that I got lucky. So...we'll see. I still like the series but they really, really should have let Unity cook a while longer.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Right now? I'm ehh on it. Probably because I just finished Rogue.

Victory looks like more Unity but set in London. I'm sure E3 will reveal some "hooks" but right now it looks like more of the same.

So...maybe?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mr. Fortitude posted:

After I started the AC series I started preordering all of them as they were announced because I knew it was going to be an auto-buy for me anyway.

Then AC3 came out. With AC4 I waited pretty close to release to preorder so I could see all the pre-release stuff and make a call based on that.

This past year I preordered Rogue but not Unity, since I wanted to try the last game using the "old system" before moving on to the new stuff. I have no regrets about that, since that means I got to play Unity for half price and after it got patched within an inch of its life.

Victory is the first AC title that I am absolutely certain I will not be preordering. Even though I still had fun playing Unity I just felt the spark was gone from the series. I'll be waiting to see what the response is on Victory after it comes out to see if it's worth returning again.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Honestly, more than the bugs and the weird combat, what pisses me off most about Unity is Arno himself and the overall plot of the game. Arno is just a really bad Ezio clone and it really does feel that Elise should have been the main character. In fact I wonder if that was the original intention but then Rogue came along and Ubisoft didn't want there to be two Templar protagonists in the same year or something. The French Revolution is just really poorly handled too, I know Assassin's Creed 3 was criticized for Connor being Forrest Gump with a tomahawk but it's barely a factor in the story of Unity at all and whenever it is, the game pretty much outright says "gently caress the filthy starving poors, the monarchy and nobility were right" and how the game completely rewrites the facts to keep that portrayal when the Revolution had absolutely horrible people on both sides in reality.

It's bad enough that if Victory's political commentary says something stupid like the children in the workhouse are all Templars and how dare Charles Dickens, the Templar Grandmaster of the time lie about the wonderful and amazing Assassin aligned industrialists, I'll completely give up on the series.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I just got done installing Rogue, and now Uplay is sitting on the "installing additional components" screen endlessly. Is it downloading the DLC or something?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
After Unity, I'm very skeptical on Victory. I haven't gotten Rogue yet, going to wait for a sale for that one.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Rogue isn't bad, though I want to punch each person on the Storm Fortress legendary battle design team in the nads.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I finally finished Unity and, to quote a British friend, "quite liked it". I'll preorder :twisted:

As for the Storm Fortress, try getting in front of it and going completely crazy with burning oil. Then put some distance between you and use mortars as necessary. When I switched to this strategy after about a half hour I finished the battle on the first try.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I feel like the series really needs some new crazy setting. I bet that Victory will be fun as they have time to actually work on the game and not just create an engine but I'm not that enthusiastic about the location or the time period. Give me Vikings, Pharaoh-era Egypt, Conquistadors or Genghis Khan Mongol Empire.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Give me.. Pharaoh-era Egypt

You could make three games alone in the time that vague idea spans and come out with three almost entirely different games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Well yeah but they would probably have to go with Cleopatra so that they could name-drop some dudes that the mainstream actually recognises.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The eternal plight of video game playing history nerds.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CitrusFrog posted:

I just got done installing Rogue, and now Uplay is sitting on the "installing additional components" screen endlessly. Is it downloading the DLC or something?

Anyone? I reinstalled this and left it sitting on that screen for five hours, and when I came back it was still stuck there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CitrusFrog posted:

Anyone? I reinstalled this and left it sitting on that screen for five hours, and when I came back it was still stuck there.

Long-ish shot but have you tried uninstalling Uplay and getting the latest version from wherever Ubisoft is keeping it this week? Depending on what game initially installed Uplay since you last formatted, you might have the old, even-more-horrible version.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Orv posted:

Long-ish shot but have you tried uninstalling Uplay and getting the latest version from wherever Ubisoft is keeping it this week? Depending on what game initially installed Uplay since you last formatted, you might have the old, even-more-horrible version.

It was claiming the latest version was installed, and uninstalling it just uninstalled Rogue too....ugh....now I'm going to have to either spend 32 hours redownloading it or wait until midnight and use my girlfriend's satellite connection... AGAIN.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sorry! :ohdear:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Orv posted:

I'm sorry! :ohdear:

:emo:

Trying to undelete it with Recuva and downloading the latest uplay.

It also uninstalled Far Cry 4. loving stupid piece of poo poo program.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 22, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Welp, after 41 hours of AC Rogue, I'm done with it. I was all set to 100% sync it like I did with Black Flag and Unity, but I got about maybe 1/3 of the way through collecting everything, saw everything I had left to do, felt exhausted, and just powered through the main story.

I think I enjoyed myself more this way.

I'll say it again: after playing so much Unity, going back to Black Flag's parkour and combat (yes) felt like such a downgrade. I kept trying to hold the E button to parkour down and Shay decided to just hang off the ledge because he thought that would be a good idea apparently. I know I got poo poo on earlier in this thread for having unpopular opinions but to me I still think Unity's combat system is a lot more fun and involved than "E, click, E, click, E, click, E, click". Didn't bother responding back then because all I could possibly say started and ended with "I disagree".

Anyway, Rogue. Good game, liked the game world itself better than Black Flag's, story was rushed and short which made it hard to make Shay's conversion to the Templars (that's not even a spoiler, is it? Just being careful) very believable. It's a shame that Haytham wasn't nearly as well written and likeable as he was in AC3. I'm finding it difficult to say good things about the game that you can't already say about Black Flag because this game literally is Black Flag. I guess the dart gun is kinda cool? I used grenades like the one time in the tutorial and never again.

edit: As for whether or not I'll pre-order Victory, I dunno. I guess it depends on how I feel by the time that game is closer to release. After (re)playing Black Flag before Unity, about 100 hours of Unity, and then 40 hours of Rogue, I am Assassin's Creed'd out.

When does that China DLC for Unity come out, anyway?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 22, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Daily Forecast posted:

I know I got poo poo on earlier in this thread for having unpopular opinions but to me I still think Unity's combat system is a lot more fun and involved than "E, click, E, click, E, click, E, click". Didn't bother responding back then because all I could possibly say started and ended with "I disagree".

That's not an opinion thing though, because Unity's combat is also just that. With smoke bombs being even more powerful.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

That's not an opinion thing though, because Unity's combat is also just that. With smoke bombs being even more powerful.

Yeah, in Unity you still press E and click a lot, but I feel like in that game you have to watch the enemies a lot more closely and time things better. It's less mindless. In Unity, you have to click at least three times instead of once! And even then you have to keep your eyes on the other red guys while doing it, instead of being mostly invincible during your canned animation.

I mean people seem to think that I am trying to say that Unity's combat IS THE PINNACLE OF VIDEOGAMING!!! while I'm really just trying to say that a bowl of moldy fruit is better than a bowl of poo poo. At least the moldy fruit still looks like food.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 22, 2015

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I stopped preordering these games after AC:rev (revs owns), but that was due to the fact that I have plenty of games to play anyway and sales are very often nowadays. :v:
I have yet to really take time to play Unity, but Rogue is great. That said the series just needs more (or well, more effective/efficient) dev time. Stop the yearly releases or something.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I finally finished Unity and, to quote a British friend, "quite liked it". I'll preorder :twisted:

As for the Storm Fortress, try getting in front of it and going completely crazy with burning oil. Then put some distance between you and use mortars as necessary. When I switched to this strategy after about a half hour I finished the battle on the first try.

I went in with two shots of mortars, barely any oil, and I was too stubborn to go re-arm. Circle strafe Storm Fortress with broadsides and round shot if you get close enough. Use the ram attack to get yourself out of it's firing arc if it's going to catch you. When the other two ships show up, they have way less health than the Storm Fortress. Blitz one down as fast as you can, then mop up the other one. Watch out for their ram, it sucks! Also, whichever one you are attacking, hit it with puckle guns constantly. That damage adds up.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I love in Unity how when you are entering combat and trying to drop smoke by mashing the button and then give up and try to run and then Arno finally decides to drop two smoke bombs back to back.

Also how when Arno thinks there is a threat in a smoke cloud and draws his sword to enter combat instead of allowing you to use the hidden blade. Popping smoke and stabbing 3-5 guys and calmly walking out of the smoke used to be so satisfying.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Welp, using Recuva got the files undeleted but it stuck them all in a single folder rather than the folder structure the game installed to.

Could someone be a kind gentleman and post a filetree so I know where each file's meant to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Yeah, in Unity you still press E and click a lot, but I feel like in that game you have to watch the enemies a lot more closely and time things better. It's less mindless. In Unity, you have to click at least three times instead of once! And even then you have to keep your eyes on the other red guys while doing it, instead of being mostly invincible during your canned animation.

I mean people seem to think that I am trying to say that Unity's combat IS THE PINNACLE OF VIDEOGAMING!!! while I'm really just trying to say that a bowl of moldy fruit is better than a bowl of poo poo. At least the moldy fruit still looks like food.

The main problem with Unity is that combat against enemies is more lethal to Arno than it is to enemies. Having a slower paced combat system where you have to time your parries and dodges is fine, but not when it takes forever and a half to kill anything unless you use smoke bombs and not when enemies teleport to avoid your gun shots because gently caress you that's why. Especially when their gun shots are much, much more deadly and can seemingly aim with perfect accuracy and you can no longer take a human shield to defend yourself against it. And yes, I'm aware you can buy better weapons and clothing to make your attacks more powerful but by the time you get the large amounts of money the game asks for 5* armor, chances are you've been going toe to toe with 5* enemies for a while too.

Black Flag and Rogue's combat is poo poo, but at least it has the decency to be over quickly. Unity has a slower and more deadly combat system but only for the player and not enemies, removes tactical options that would make the combat fair and it is little wonder that most people just resort to spamming smoke bombs.

I know you're going to say that combat is a fail state and you should be stealthy, which is fair enough except Unity removed options there too. You can crouch and stick to cover but it's clunky as poo poo and sometimes enemies seemingly have Eagle Vision themselves as they can see through walls sometimes I've noticed. You can no longer distract guards away by whistling and are forced to use the much inferior cherry bombs that don't even distract guards half of the time.

I guess what it boils down to is that I agree with you in theory, but in reality Unity's combat and stealth are poorly executed despite the concepts and ideas being sound.

• Locked thread