Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

The flamethrower actually can fire through windows, even ones that aren't broken. You just have to be pressed basically up against them so the barrel pokes through.

This effectively means it cannot shoot thru windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Holy poo poo put this in the op

Done.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

This effectively means it cannot shoot thru windows

Yeah at that point you can just knife it anyways.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

At first blush, I can see how people might think Hotline Miami 2 is bullshit. But now that I've beaten it, it's a lot of fun going back to the levels with other unlocked masks. And you know where the bullshit parts are on each map, so you can prepare better. I got my first S rank, with the Swans of course.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah a lot of levels are much more reasonable once you get them but you've got to admit there's some that are pretty dumb, though I'll grant they're mostly on hard mode, stuff like Moving Up hard needing you to know ahead of time the third floors starts you in a room with a fat gangster and no guns is pretty bad design.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Waffle! posted:

At first blush, I can see how people might think Hotline Miami 2 is bullshit. But now that I've beaten it, it's a lot of fun going back to the levels with other unlocked masks. And you know where the bullshit parts are on each map, so you can prepare better. I got my first S rank, with the Swans of course.

Yeah, I think the first game is better taken as a whole, and it'll definitely be the more "iconic" of the two. The original game will be what most people will think of if they think of Hotline Miami, but I think as far as my own enjoyment I'm having a lot more fun replaying the second game's levels than I did with the first game. And with the level editor coming out I'm anticipating a lot more time spent with this game than the previous game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The first game will be superior to me purely because of Knock Knock. It's such an evocative track and suits the police station level perfectly. :allears:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The first game will be superior to me purely because of Knock Knock. It's such an evocative track and suits the police station level perfectly. :allears:

It's not bad but Slum Lord is better. Richard (any of them) is the best song in either game though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 22, 2015

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014
Another this is that there are too many goddamn floors per level. Like take death wish, each individual floor is difficult and takes quite a few tries to complete, especially if you are playing 'properly' and going balls out to get a good score. This would not be too bad if you were scored after each floor, because then there is some sense of reward. But instead you have to play through the whole thing in one sitting. This is especially annoying since, as many people have pointed out, this is a game where every once in a while you have to put it down and do something else before coming back to it.

TLDR-Hotline Miami should not be a game where a lose an hour and a half A/A+ progress because I needed a break because one of the swans kept getting caught on a loving wall.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Indrid_Cold posted:

Another this is that there are too many goddamn floors per level. Like take death wish, each individual floor is difficult and takes quite a few tries to complete, especially if you are playing 'properly' and going balls out to get a good score. This would not be too bad if you were scored after each floor, because then there is some sense of reward. But instead you have to play through the whole thing in one sitting. This is especially annoying since, as many people have pointed out, this is a game where every once in a while you have to put it down and do something else before coming back to it.

TLDR-Hotline Miami should not be a game where a lose an hour and a half A/A+ progress because I needed a break because one of the swans kept getting caught on a loving wall.

How loving bad do you have to be to take an hour and a half to finish one level

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not to finish it mate, to get A/A+ on it. If you drop a combo at any point, whelp, stand in front of someone and start again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Took me an hour and a half to beat the Son's final level where he's not high as balls. Granted I had to use the sword as my starting weapon since the unlocks were bugged, but it was hard, man.....

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Indrid_Cold posted:

Not to finish it mate, to get A/A+ on it. If you drop a combo at any point, whelp, stand in front of someone and start again.

I got an A+ on Deathwish in my first normal playthrough and I can assure you I did not full combo a single floor on it. You're making things far more difficult by holding yourself to an arbitrary standard that is not in any way necessary for the goal you desire!

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014

Geight posted:

I got an A+ on Deathwish in my first normal playthrough and I can assure you I did not full combo a single floor on it. You're making things far more difficult by holding yourself to an arbitrary standard that is not in any way necessary for the goal you desire!

Well poo poo. I just really really do not want to get to the end and get a B and have to do the whole drat thing again, you know. Which links back to my original point of there being to many drat floors. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a Good Game, but by christ does it gently caress up some basic things.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Honestly I'm pretty sure you can just get a couple sizable combos with Mark and Tony and then coast through Corey and the Swan sections, just based on my experience.

Also I can't think of a way to say this without sounding condescending, but if the game is only fun to you if you're getting an A+ rank, is it really worth your time anymore? I mean, whenever I was doing A+ runs in the first game I didn't really mind only getting an A or lower because hey, that just means there's more Hotline Miami to play.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That sure was an ending, I think.

Bring on HLM3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Indrid_Cold posted:

Well poo poo. I just really really do not want to get to the end and get a B and have to do the whole drat thing again, you know. Which links back to my original point of there being to many drat floors. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a Good Game, but by christ does it gently caress up some basic things.

It's a long level because it's the big climax of the Fans story

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Firstborn posted:

That sure was an ending, I think.

Bring on HLM3.

I just beat it today and I don't think I understand anything that happened, ever.

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014

Geight posted:

Honestly I'm pretty sure you can just get a couple sizable combos with Mark and Tony and then coast through Corey and the Swan sections, just based on my experience.

Also I can't think of a way to say this without sounding condescending, but if the game is only fun to you if you're getting an A+ rank, is it really worth your time anymore? I mean, whenever I was doing A+ runs in the first game I didn't really mind only getting an A or lower because hey, that just means there's more Hotline Miami to play.

Fair point, I might just come back when the level editor comes out.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

abagofcheetos posted:

I just beat it today and I don't think I understand anything that happened, ever.

Yeah, I don't know what the gently caress what was going on, really. There was a soldier, there was some fans of Jacket that got killed. Then the Russian Mafia Boss got high as gently caress and presumably killed Tony and the twins, Mark, and Corey. A nuclear bomb went off for some reason and killed everyone. The end thanks for playing. This is the Death Wish mission from the other perspective.
I will say the twins own. It'll be hard to make a more baller character in HLM3.

Also, I know they aren't to be idolized or anything but I really liked the fans as characters in this game.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 22, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

There will probably not be a Hotline Miami 3.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Why? The little ending where you get to see a mock HLM3 title screen was fun. Has the studio dissolved? I can't see another reason why there wouldn't be one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Firstborn posted:

Why? The little ending where you get to see a mock HLM3 title screen was fun. Has the studio dissolved? I can't see another reason why there wouldn't be one.

They said they didn't want to do another one

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There will definitely not be a HLM3. They expressed pretty explicitly that HLM2 would be the last. There's only so much game you can squeeze out of an idea. I'm actually glad for this, because HLM2 was a fantastic way to end the series. We'll also get the level editor soon enough which means we can keep playing HLM forever!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm having a very hard time they would leave a series with two successful games and a proven formula, but okay. I look forward to their next twitch shooter that totally isn't Hotline Miami.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I feel like that's part of what the nuclear explosion is about. They're wiping it all out and washing their hands of this story. Mind you, I don't think it's a cop-out, just a little meta thing.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Invisible Ted posted:

I feel like that's part of what the nuclear explosion is about. They're wiping it all out and washing their hands of this story. Mind you, I don't think it's a cop-out, just a little meta thing.

That and the point in the story where the two devs show up and say goodbye.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Firstborn posted:

I'm having a very hard time they would leave a series with two successful games and a proven formula, but okay. I look forward to their next twitch shooter that totally isn't Hotline Miami.

Cactus is a guy that doesn't really do the same thing twice, if you've played any of his other games

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Cactus is a guy that doesn't really do the same thing twice, if you've played any of his other games

And if he does (Mondo Medicals/Agency, HLM), he doesn't stick with it long. I'd love to see what he does next though, I've been following him off and on for almost 10 years now.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Are any of his other games good? Is the focus on the soundtrack there?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The swans are a really fun concept, but they're really really hard to actually use. I feel like it would work a lot better if you only controlled Alex, and Ash was just 100% AI-controlled.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I once had one of them hung in a doorway, but besides that I never had a problem with them. It was an awesome design. I do wish the Pig Butcher amounted to something more, though.

Thinking back to the trailers, and how much they owned.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The swans are a really fun concept, but they're really really hard to actually use. I feel like it would work a lot better if you only controlled Alex, and Ash was just 100% AI-controlled.

I think they function pretty well, I just wish Ash would snap to enemies more efficiently. As it is it's basically a leap of faith for me whether or not he's gonna shoot that guy with a shotgun as we come around a corner or whether I'm going to get pasted.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Firstborn posted:

Are any of his other games good? Is the focus on the soundtrack there?

I really like his games, but HLM is really the only one with a heavy focus on soundtrack. http://cactusquid.com/games.htm is his website, and I'd say the two Cactus Arcade collections can give you a good picture of his stuff. Be warned, this is all done in old versions of game maker, which might not work well with newer versions of windows, though they might have fixed that issue.

E: On the fourth of april, the oldest game on there will be 10 years old. fuuuuck

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Firstborn posted:

Some people don't make games to make money. They do it because they love it. :shrug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Biggest problem with the twins is that Ash's pathfinding sucks. Would be easily remedied by adding a sort of check of "Am I more than 5m away from Alex? Am I just running into a wall? Okay might as well just teleport to right behind her then."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Ah, well. I appreciate the endorsement and respect that, but HLM is pretty much just fun spritework (which I love) and an amazing sound track. I was kind of hoping that'd be the constant in his work, but I was just spitballing.
I liked HLM series, then. The OST is legendary.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Some people don't make games to make money. They do it because they love it. :shrug:

Oh, I get to read this again. That's cool. Dude made some good games. The Hotline Miami games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Invisible Ted posted:

I really like his games, but HLM is really the only one with a heavy focus on soundtrack

Cactus did make KEYBOARD DRUMSET loving WEREWOLF which is essentially an interactive music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wpu8gS_18

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Firstborn posted:

Oh, I get to read this again.

:allears:

Welcome to the club pal. Welcome to the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I, too, wish for every good idea to be run into the ground.

• Locked thread