Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

DreadLlama posted:

Yeah but it'll mean an alternator which means (at least) a gas turbo and probably at least a bridge rectifier + small battery and a parasite DC circuit for running the cassette+whatever to run the speaker. And then also you've got a speaker hangining out of your fuselage, and also you've got to supply the extra thrust to lift said speaker.

Is a pulsejet really that much shittier?

Why would you need an alternator? A big battery, a speaker and mp3 player somehow is insufficient? You could probably just hook it up in some big cargo type plane and that thing would fly for 30 minutes at half throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I guess some radioshacks didn't move their expensive stuff over to the stores that were going to remain open

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I guess some radioshacks didn't move their expensive stuff over to the stores that were going to remain open

Holy poo poo. That is super cheap.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

DreadLlama posted:

What's the next-noisiest to a pulsejet thing that you can imagine flying?

A flying lawnmower engine is still pretty noisy. Heck, quadcopters aren't even quiet. The cheapest per watt way to make noise is to use a small electric motor on a siren. At least, if my goal were noise, it's what I'd do.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sort of obvious but a cool fact for DIY guys:

I was pulling apart a DVDR/W drive for the rack and pinion inside and it turns out the entire laser carriage is set up on those rubber ball isolation mounts. I love opening stuff up and finding more useful things than you anticipated.

also it turns out the laser carriage uses a worm screw to move:argh: the drive tray uses a rack and pinion but it is way larger than I want.

EDIT: Holy poo poo this thing is small, just came from the 3D printer:

That's a AA battery for scale.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 11, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Odette posted:

Holy poo poo. That is super cheap.

the one place that I actually found it is in the third wave of closings (up til march 31) and is still selling at 750. I'll try calling later

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Did anyone else participate in international drone day?

I went to an event in Clinton Ontario. Lots of people from the general public but not many pilots who were ready to fly in the large available space.

The big guys only went up once for a few minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIoiOa-PXgQ

I got in a bit of racing but the large group coming from out of town bailed due to weather so there was only two people capable of racing.

Partway through I had an ESC fail when I armed the quad.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dang, that fucker cooked off good. :(

helno
Jun 19, 2003

A fully charged lipo with a convenient place to dump energy will do so at a very fast rate.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Is anybody who checks this thread familiar with any RC shops (ideally DJI distributor) in Salt Lake City, UT? I'm heading out there this week to take some aerial shots for a ski lodge and it would be nice to pick up some extra props and possibly another charger while I'm there.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
can you parallel discharge / storage charge

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Absolutely but make sure they are pretty close in voltage just like parallel discharge.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Can anybody provide guidance on troubleshooting odd flight characteristics of my quad? I built it on a 450mm frame, and am having trouble finding the correct battery size. A 3000 mAh battery lasts maybe 4 minutes before the low voltage warning kicks in. I tried a 5500 mAh battery about an hour ago, but ended up flipping it over on takeoff (it tipped right, not towards the battery). From what I could tell, the center of balance was within a half inch of center in both axes.

Also I noticed when flying on the 3000 mAh battery, it kept 'twitching' while hovering - every couple of seconds it would tip ever so slightly and then recenter. It would also randomly decide to fly left or right in attitude mode. It does not hover well at all. I feel like it is overweight - in manual it seems neutral at around 60% throttle. But I'm not sure where I could lose weight (besides the landing gear and camera/gimbal, but that's the whole point of the quad). Here are the quick specs:

450mm frame
DJI Naza V2
2209-980Kv motors
10 inch props
30A ESCs
1360g without battery
Obvious next step is to take the landing gear and camera off and see how it flies. I'll do that this week when I have time, but until then, is there anything else I can look at? Any way to know if my motors are undersized or something?

Here's a picture of the shitpile:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Hit up Ecalc.ch to find the optimum battery. You might be able to find a better cell count for your particular setup as well.

Found some more footage from international drone day in Clinton. I am the little orange guy having an R/C staring contest at the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ql6waqSsA

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Life really does get in the way. I put in some more work on the QFO tonight.

First, here's a link to my blog post:

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-qfo-gets-lit-and-space-becomes-issue.html

And for the lazy, here's the highlights:

I finished making the lighting boards low profile enough to fit in the arms.

That is a heck of a lot of very suspicious looking dust.

Then I did a little soldering.

That daisy chain is long enough to reach into each arm, with a fair amount of slack. I then stuffed the lighting boards into the arms. I wedged them in with cardboard.

But it looks really good when sitting on the desk.

Annoyingly, I ran out of space in the airframe tonight. I think my next move is to de-pin the Flip32, and de-case my receiver. I'm going to go PPM, and run only the essential wires around the airframe. I should also order a FPV camera for this, I think I"m going to go with one similar to the one I bought for my RedBull 130x.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Wow, nicely done. I'm not a huge fan of yellow, aesthetically, but I can see how great a color it is when it ends up crashing somewhere.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Me either. I didn't actually get a choice in airframe color. It comes in red, and yellow.

At least yellow won't show dirt as much as white would. Or yellowing of the epoxy.

this weeks task, is ordering some white LEDs, and designing and ordering some PCBs to replace my hand made modules.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So this is pretty awesome. Guy took a Canon 6D and a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 4 and made a really awesome video of Hang Son Doong, a massive cave. It looks gorgeous and the cinematography is pretty great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

T1g4h posted:

So this is pretty awesome. Guy took a Canon 6D and a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 4 and made a really awesome video of Hang Son Doong, a massive cave. It looks gorgeous and the cinematography is pretty great.

My god this is gorgeous.

Has vimeo always had such lovely compression though?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Laserface posted:

My god this is gorgeous.

Has vimeo always had such lovely compression though?

To be honest, I didn't even notice any compression issues. But then I'm also used to YouTube which artifacts everything like crazy so I might just not see it :v:

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Vimeo's video player seems to use a nearest-neighbor type of down-scaling. If you view the video at native resolution it should look a bit better.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

http://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/comments/2ziwgr/how_did_the_current_crop_of_250_racer_frame/

Another person who doesn't understand the rocket pendulum fallacy. Is it that hard to grasp that the thrust from a quad is always in line with the body and therefore cannot maintain static stability? If you could just hang the battery down low why would be need these fancy gyros?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4cjP-GRAY

helno fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 20, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

helno posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/comments/2ziwgr/how_did_the_current_crop_of_250_racer_frame/

Another person who doesn't understand the rocket pendulum fallacy. Is it that hard to grasp that the thrust from a quad is always in line with the body and therefore cannot maintain static stability? If you could just hang the battery down low why would be need these fancy gyros?

Most people have no idea how much work the gyros do in a multirotor. I had a colleague who was totally shocked to see me have absolutely zero control of an aircraft with a failing IMU.

Also gently caress reddit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

helno posted:

He's a lot less stupid than your post here made him out to look like. The only point he's "off" on is thinking the weight under the quad will help in corners.

reddituser posted:

1) Centralized mass within the bounds of the quads motors. The tighter the better.

2) Highest amount of that mass (battery) is below the props and generally is hung under the frame.

3) Largest props that the frame/motors will support

4) smallest cross section to the wind for low air resistance.

Though he needs to think a bit more about how to make the frames better. I've been toying with a method to make 250 race quads.. a lot faster.

That said, he also misses that most of what drives race quads is durability, rather than performance.

So.. my idea? Make the fuselage a vertical wing. Stop leaning into turns. Just tip the quad forward, and pivot. Pivoting will generate side force without wasting lift energy.

Obviously that will fall apart in the really slow corners, but for the fast stuff, you'd be way ahead of the game.

The airfoil will also be a challenge, as it needs to maintain "around the same" center of lift at many angles of attack, and sideslip angles. Your airfoil will see oncoming air as sideslip as you tip the quad forward. My first thought was a disk, or an oval.

Streamline the arms that hold the motors... I can't believe nobody is doing that yet.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Been getting a chance to get the planes out finally. Flew my night flyer assassin, hearing various replies from "that's awesome!", " it's a plane!" To "what the gently caress is that?!". Did a roll and loop to get the awesome comment.

I think my next goal will be to scale back my ambitions for my Bix3 FPV plane. I'll aim to get it up in the air flying LOS, then get the GPS hold/RTH function working. With that working, I can fly up, put it in hold, toss on the goggles, orientate myself, then flip over to manual. Then I could fly back, toss it on RTH, and land LOS. Later I'll work on landing from FPV.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 21, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Nerobro posted:

He's a lot less stupid than your post here made him out to look like. The only point he's "off" on is thinking the weight under the quad will help in corners.

I would describe him as argumentative rather than stupid. I was getting pretty annoyed when he kept explaining stability to me with examples that are firmly planted on the ground and have natural inherent stability which is not possible in a multirotor.

He essentially kept parroting that the fallacy does not apply because in his opinion it is only applicable to rockets on a ballistic course.

Most quads with the batteries on top are built like that to center the mass. Hanging it below will really move the CG away from the center of lift. And ironically it is easier to stabilize a system with the CG above the center of lift rather than below it because they exhibit two different modes of instability.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Well great, guess I've got a 450 scale heli now. If I wasn't addicted before, I'm going to be in the following weeks :v:

This thing is pretty slick. Carbon fiber main rotor blades are pretty trick, and the DX6i it came with is a really nice setup. Can't wait to take it for a test flight tomorrow and (hopefully) not explode it into a bunch of tiny pieces.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

T1g4h posted:

Well great, guess I've got a 450 scale heli now. If I wasn't addicted before, I'm going to be in the following weeks :v:

This thing is pretty slick. Carbon fiber main rotor blades are pretty trick, and the DX6i it came with is a really nice setup. Can't wait to take it for a test flight tomorrow and (hopefully) not explode it into a bunch of tiny pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

Just sayin' .. say hello TO THE GROUND .. ;-)

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

helno posted:

I would describe him as argumentative rather than stupid.
I should go read the rest of that thread. :-) I was due to leave the house and help someone with their bike tonight so I didn't give anything past the OP a good look.

... I should fly my quad tomorrow.

T1g4h posted:

Pitch curve -2 to +80 ;-)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

It didn't explode into a million tiny pieces!

It was, however, still an expensive first flight. Shattered the main rotor blades, bent the spindle, ground a few teeth off the main gear, and lost a linkage. Lessons learned: The 450X is much, much faster and twitchier than my 120SR. By a large margin. And you need a lot more room to fly it, because it's way easier for it to accidentally drift into something and break stuff. But, I suppose that's part of the experience and it comes with the territory when you go from a fixed pitch micro to a full on 3D capable 450 scale setup. I'm pissed and frustrated with myself for letting it happen and for loving it up so badly on the first flight, but I learned a few important lessons. Next flight will be in a much larger, more open field and I'm going to see about adjusting the pitch and throttle curves to make it slightly less twitchy. For the very short time I had it hovering and flying, it was a glorious sight to behold and it made one hell of a noise. I'm hooked :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I bought a little $30 Estes Quadcopter, I'm having a lot of fun with it....

I might now go buy a larger one.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 22, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

I bought a little $30 Estes Quadcopter, I'm having a lot of fun with it....

I might now go buy a larger one.

I'm grabbing one of those after I do my appreticeship exam. They're loving adorable little things, and I figure it'll be a good intro to quads

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I saw a thing that does pitch and yaw.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__75930__HD_FPV_Camera_System_With_32ch_5_8GHz_Transmitter_and_Pan_and_Tilt_Function_Black_.html

And I thought to myself, "The Oculus rift also does pitch and yaw. Does it exist yet?"

Has anyone got head tracking to work with FPV gimbals? Surely I'm not the first person to think of this. You could probably get like a blimp and rent time on a VR spot to people over the internet.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

T1g4h posted:

It didn't explode into a million tiny pieces!

It was, however, still an expensive first flight. Shattered the main rotor blades, bent the spindle, ground a few teeth off the main gear, and lost a linkage. Lessons learned: The 450X is much, much faster and twitchier than my 120SR. By a large margin. And you need a lot more room to fly it, because it's way easier for it to accidentally drift into something and break stuff. But, I suppose that's part of the experience and it comes with the territory when you go from a fixed pitch micro to a full on 3D capable 450 scale setup. I'm pissed and frustrated with myself for letting it happen and for loving it up so badly on the first flight, but I learned a few important lessons. Next flight will be in a much larger, more open field and I'm going to see about adjusting the pitch and throttle curves to make it slightly less twitchy. For the very short time I had it hovering and flying, it was a glorious sight to behold and it made one hell of a noise. I'm hooked :v:

See, this is where I think the 'bigger is better' theory when learning to fly helicopters falls apart. Yes, it might harder to learn it on a MCPX, but it's also an awful lot cheaper and quicker to repair :D

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

See, this is where I think the 'bigger is better' theory when learning to fly helicopters falls apart. Yes, it might harder to learn it on a MCPX, but it's also an awful lot cheaper and quicker to repair :D

I went with bigger mostly because while my 120 SR is fun, it cannot deal with wind unless it's about 3mph or less. This 450X has some weight to it, so I should be able to at least try and fly it most days, rather than having to wait for the rare windless days around here. I can deal with the increased price of the 450X crashes if it means I can get more flight time in :v:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
drat, all the low c, high density multistar packs are gone. maybe this would be a good time to learn how to build one of those li-ion packs. does anyone know the best place to purchase NCR18650PF (the unprotected kind)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

drat, all the low c, high density multistar packs are gone. maybe this would be a good time to learn how to build one of those li-ion packs. does anyone know the best place to purchase NCR18650PF (the unprotected kind)

18650s can't be used to make li-ion batteries because they're not even the same battery technology.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Odette posted:

18650s can't be used to make li-ion batteries because they're not even the same battery technology.

are we arguing over terminology here or feasibility, because if its the former, then everything I read is calling them li-ion, and if its the latter, then using them to build larger battery packs is actually kinda well documented / discussed right now on rcgroups

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

are we arguing over terminology here or feasibility, because if its the former, then everything I read is calling them li-ion, and if its the latter, then using them to build larger battery packs is actually kinda well documented / discussed right now on rcgroups

Really? Well, consider me happy to be proven wrong!

I still wouldn't want to venture into that part of the hobby though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Odette posted:

Really? Well, consider me happy to be proven wrong!

I still wouldn't want to venture into that part of the hobby though.

18650s are definitely li-ion batteries (they're not li-poly, though, which might have been what you were thinking?). I've heard FastTech is a decent source for Panasonic li-ion cells, but be prepared for long shipping times.