Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
"Set a Reminder" has stopped going to the right prompt in Google Now; it wants me to set an alarm instead of the previous behavior, which was to set a...reminder. Anyone know what keyword I can use to pull up the previous prompt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

"Set a Reminder" has stopped going to the right prompt in Google Now; it wants me to set an alarm instead of the previous behavior, which was to set a...reminder. Anyone know what keyword I can use to pull up the previous prompt?
Yeah it's a known bug:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/19/bug-watch-google-voice-commands-for-setting-reminders-create-alarms-or-calendar-events-instead/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh good, I thought I was doing something wrong.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

drat. That's probably my most used command.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

WiFi is really easy to spoof, so using WiFi as a way to unlock your phone is really dumb.

Once that becomes a legitimate concern you should be more worried about why Mossad is after you instead of how much trouble they'll have getting into your phone.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 22, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Desk Lamp posted:

Once that becomes a legitimate concern you should be more worried about why Mossad is after you instead of how much trouble they'll have getting into your phone.

You seen how many AT&T phones default-allow anything named 'attwifi' without any way for the user to disable it? Sure you're probably an idiot if you allow a public SSID to unlock your phone (and it hopefully works via MAC address and other indicators), but hundreds of thousands of people are guaranteed not to have the choice at some point.

Your blasé dismissal might be appropriate for radio ROM hacks, but opportunistic stuff is still a concern.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You seen how many AT&T phones default-allow anything named 'attwifi' without any way for the user to disable it? Sure you're probably an idiot if you allow a public SSID to unlock your phone (and it hopefully works via MAC address and other indicators), but hundreds of thousands of people are guaranteed not to have the choice at some point.

Your blasé dismissal might be appropriate for radio ROM hacks, but opportunistic stuff is still a concern.

The feature is called trusted locations for a reason.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure if this is the right thread but can anyone point me towards an official replacement battery for an Australian Galaxy Nexus? I like the phone and don't feel like upgrading (And neither does my wallet) but it's gone from a day-ish of charge to slightly less than six hours. This means anywhere I go has to have a charger which is super annoying. I've checked Amazon and the like but apparently all the "official" replacements aren't actually official according to the comments. I just want a battery that'll last me and not explode. I don't care about an extended battery I just would like to be able to step out for a day and not worry about whether my phone will die or not.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but can anyone point me towards an official replacement battery for an Australian Galaxy Nexus? I like the phone and don't feel like upgrading (And neither does my wallet) but it's gone from a day-ish of charge to slightly less than six hours. This means anywhere I go has to have a charger which is super annoying. I've checked Amazon and the like but apparently all the "official" replacements aren't actually official according to the comments. I just want a battery that'll last me and not explode. I don't care about an extended battery I just would like to be able to step out for a day and not worry about whether my phone will die or not.

Get a new phone, you'll find nothing but tears if you try to keep that GNex, sorry.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I'd also recommend you upgrade, but if that's not an option, I got my GNex replacement batteries off of eBay in the past.

Here's the eBay.au search for your reference.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

For a few dollars more you can get a Moto E or Moto G, I too am extremely resistant to change, but it's a better phone, even the E. A new authentic battery is going to have been sitting on the shelf for years and probably run you $50usd + shipping, a used Moto E is going to be under $100 usd

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why do I get insufficient space errors on my Nexus 4 when I have 480mb free? All I found from searching was dozens of suggestions to clear cached data, a 6 month old bug report and no useful answers.

Also why the gently caress did G+ have over 200mb of app data stored? I haven't even signed up for it let, alone used it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Cached images from Photos?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Where did you find that price? Is that for the first gen or second gen?

First gen. I make good money for being in my 20s without a degree, but still not enough to justify a $500 phone.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

First gen. I make good money for being in my 20s without a degree, but still not enough to justify a $500 phone.

I'm curious what "good money" is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

$17/hour. Not great, but with no degree, not working in an oilfield, and being 23, I really can't complain. Most of the people I know my age in my situation are making <10.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm curious what "good money" is.

Not minimum wage would be my guess

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I afford new phones every year by keeping my old phone in mint condition and selling them for a good chunk of what they cost me on contract. e.g. I got $385 for my locked Note 3 last week. I'll get even more for my unlocked Nexus 6 next year, then I'll buy another phone on contract.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

vyst posted:

Not minimum wage would be my guess

Yeah. This town has the highest rent in the state, while having very few entry-level jobs that aren't retail or service. And a restriction on residency that limits any single-family residence to three unrelated people, which also allows for warrantless searches of the house if there is suspicion of more than three people living there. Basically anyone my age who isn't rent-burdened is doing well.

I'm on T-Mobile, so I can't do the sell off contract phone thing. It sounds like a good idea, although that's still what, $2-300 you're losing every year?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah. This town has the highest rent in the state, while having very few entry-level jobs that aren't retail or service. And a restriction on residency that limits any single-family residence to three unrelated people, which also allows for warrantless searches of the house if there is suspicion of more than three people living there. Basically anyone my age who isn't rent-burdened is doing well.

I'm on T-Mobile, so I can't do the sell off contract phone thing. It sounds like a good idea, although that's still what, $2-300 you're losing every year?
To be fair, $300/year is essentially nothing. It's a particularly high heating bill or a minor issue with the car. I'm not trying to poor-shame, I'm just saying that if you're really into phones (for some crazy reason) spending $300 in a year is not particularly weird. Hell, most people spend more on videogames in a year or in a bar on the weekend. It's very much in the "fun money" range.

Why can't you sell off contract because of T-Mobile? They sell the devices outright, have a good unlocking policy, and make buying the devices affordable. CDMA carriers make it tough to do but AT&T and T-Mobile make flipping phones easy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's nothing inherently more difficult about flipping a CDMA phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

There's nothing inherently more difficult about flipping a CDMA phone.
Not with Verizon anymore but try selling your Sprint phone to a European and get back to me.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Initial review of the M9 from Anandtech: http://anandtech.com/show/9102/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-1

Not looking very good for HTC.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I see it more as always having the best phone available at a discount than "losing" $200-300.

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, $300/year is essentially nothing. It's a particularly high heating bill or a minor issue with the car.

Holey moley I can't imagine paying that much for heat. I've been upset that my hydro-electric bill is all the way up to $45. But I agree, as an adult you throw away $300 all the time. I'm gonna go to Seattle next week and it'll cost me that much. But it'll save me $150 on shoes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, $300/year is essentially nothing. It's a particularly high heating bill or a minor issue with the car. I'm not trying to poor-shame, I'm just saying that if you're really into phones (for some crazy reason) spending $300 in a year is not particularly weird. Hell, most people spend more on videogames in a year or in a bar on the weekend. It's very much in the "fun money" range.

I can see that. I guess the thing is I just don't give a gently caress about my phone, as long as it works, runs my banking apps, lets me use the internet, and the battery doesn't make me recharge it in the middle of the day.

I could sell my phone on T-Mobile after a year, I guess. But if you're on Verizon, you get the phone payment built in to your bill, whereas you don't with T-Mobile. At least, that's my understanding from a friend of mine who has Verizon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can see that. I guess the thing is I just don't give a gently caress about my phone, as long as it works, runs my banking apps, lets me use the internet, and the battery doesn't make me recharge it in the middle of the day.

I could sell my phone on T-Mobile after a year, I guess. But if you're on Verizon, you get the phone payment built in to your bill, whereas you don't with T-Mobile. At least, that's my understanding from a friend of mine who has Verizon.
That's sort of the point though. On Verizon the cost of the phone is hidden and built into the charge. You pay it whether you're paying for the device or not. T-Mobile breaks that cost out and because of that you're aware of it (and can choose not to pay it).

Honestly if you don't care about your phone there is no reason to constantly treadmill to the current flavor of the month. On the other hand if you're the kind to only buy one when you absolutely need one it makes no sense to skimp. Buy the best one you can afford and amortize that cost over the three or four years you're going to be using the device. There's no reason to have a lovely phone, especially when they're so necessary to the average person's routine and daily life. Save up for a bit if you have to or use T-Mobile's no-interest way of paying for one but paying $300 for a year's worth of use out of a lovely device is not a better deal than spending $700 for three years of use out of a great phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

That's sort of the point though. On Verizon the cost of the phone is hidden and built into the charge. You pay it whether you're paying for the device or not.
This isn't really the case anymore. Verizon is pushing EDGE just as hard as AT&T is pushing NEXT and T-Mobile is pushing JUMP (and Sprint is pushing whatever theirs is called).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

This isn't really the case anymore. Verizon is pushing EDGE just as hard as AT&T is pushing NEXT and T-Mobile is pushing JUMP (and Sprint is pushing whatever theirs is called).
But didn't AT&T and Verizon structure EDGE and NEXT so that it's a lovely deal compared to their "regular" plans whereas T-Mobile only offers the one (much better) way?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

But didn't AT&T and Verizon structure EDGE and NEXT so that it's a lovely deal compared to their "regular" plans whereas T-Mobile only offers the one (much better) way?

Not anymore, they're pretty much the same. You have your monthly plan costs and then you add on whatever the phone costs through 18-24 months. AT&T and Verizon both give you discounts on the monthly plan price by going with their program compared to the typical 2 year contract. It was an absolutely terrible deal shortly after they came out, but they had some backlash and changed it not too long after it's inception.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm gonna make the jump to Android from Windows Phone (I gave it the ole college try since Windows 7 - it's just not cutting it). What's the best unlocked phone under $300? I'm not expecting miracles, but something that can run Lollipop and has a "not total poo poo" camera would be great.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

BonoMan posted:

I'm gonna make the jump to Android from Windows Phone (I gave it the ole college try since Windows 7 - it's just not cutting it). What's the best unlocked phone under $300? I'm not expecting miracles, but something that can run Lollipop and has a "not total poo poo" camera would be great.

Depends on what you mean by "not total poo poo" camera but best thing you'll find is the 2013 Moto X

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Not anymore, they're pretty much the same. You have your monthly plan costs and then you add on whatever the phone costs through 18-24 months. AT&T and Verizon both give you discounts on the monthly plan price by going with their program compared to the typical 2 year contract. It was an absolutely terrible deal shortly after they came out, but they had some backlash and changed it not too long after it's inception.
Ah, okay. I only looked at them when they first launched and it was absolutely hilarious how much of customer loving both were.

Hace posted:

Depends on what you mean by "not total poo poo" camera but best thing you'll find is the 2013 Moto X
The 2014 Moto G is the only one under $300 with Lollipop so there's your only choice regardless of camera. The 2013 Moto X will be getting Lollipop soon and is the better choice but you'll need to look on eBay to find one (your carrier will matter a lot here).

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You seen how many AT&T phones default-allow anything named 'attwifi' without any way for the user to disable it?

Zero.

The attwifi app does this when used and running but it's not installed by default on all phones or running automatically either, iirc.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Used Nexus 5 is $200-300 depending on 16GB or 32GB.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Ah, okay. I only looked at them when they first launched and it was absolutely hilarious how much of customer loving both were.
They were lovely at launch, but they're both actually good plans and actually make their services reasonably priced if you don't actually need unlimited data and bring your own device or use Edge/Jump. At standard prices, a 3 GB plan on AT&T is only $5 more than T-Mobile, for instance, though the difference at 5/6 GB is $25. Verizon's are like another $10 on top of those because of course they are.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LastInLine posted:

The 2014 Moto G is the only one under $300 with Lollipop so there's your only choice regardless of camera. The 2013 Moto X will be getting Lollipop soon and is the better choice but you'll need to look on eBay to find one (your carrier will matter a lot here).

Ah .. I'm on Cricket. I'll check out all of those phones thanks!

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
But really, if you're genuinely worried about a targeted attack, isn't setting any trusted place (or smart lock feature for that matter) a bad idea for the potential of exploitation alone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Ah .. I'm on Cricket. I'll check out all of those phones thanks!
Cricket is AT&T so if you're looking on eBay for the 2013 Moto X, look for the XT1058 (AT&T) or XT1053 (T-Mobile/Developer Edition). You'll need it unlocked, of course, which most should be listed as refurbished and unlocked.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

PinnacleOrBust posted:

But really, if you're genuinely worried about a targeted attack, isn't setting any trusted place (or smart lock feature for that matter) a bad idea for the potential of exploitation alone?

B-b-but...my edge case...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LastInLine posted:

Cricket is AT&T so if you're looking on eBay for the 2013 Moto X, look for the XT1058 (AT&T) or XT1053 (T-Mobile/Developer Edition). You'll need it unlocked, of course, which most should be listed as refurbished and unlocked.

99% certain that a locked AT&T phone will work with cricket