Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jim Barris posted:

I thought the woman on the right here was in her forties at least but, no, she is nineteen years old

Would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What's the exact opposite of Arrakhis in Dune, because Russia would be that. Complete with krokodile instead of melange.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

What's the exact opposite of Arrakhis in Dune, because Russia would be that. Complete with krokodile instead of melange.

Somebody already said Geidi Prime

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Somebody already said Geidi Prime

Poop

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:shrug:

I already said Orthanc because Saruman's jam was industrialization and loving up the environment. In the books he moves to the Shire at the end and starts making Galadriel's vision for Sam come true by wrecking up the place.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Well Salusa Secundus is never explicitly described except as a prison hell-planet thats brutal environment is the source of the emperors sardaukar so

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

katlington posted:

Well Salusa Secundus is never explicitly described except as a prison hell-planet thats brutal environment is the source of the emperors sardaukar so

Nailed it.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
dude travels from north of siberia norilsk to teh far east

Siberia from North to East. Part 1 : Norilsk
Siberia from North to East. Part 2 : Dudinka
Siberia from North to East. Part 3 : Along the Yenisei
Siberia from North to East. Part 4 : Yeniseisk and Podtesovo
Siberia from North to East. Part 5 : Krasnoyarsk
Siberia from North to East. Part 6 : On the train, again
Siberia from North to East. Part 7 : Khabarovsk

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

every babushka wants a piece of potato liberator

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

A Handed Missus posted:

every babushka wants a piece of potato liberator

Younger sister kiss soldier while older sister steal potato from pocket. Look very clever, until soldier rape both and potato is rock.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

If you like this sort of thing, there's a great book by Slavomir Rawicz about a group of prisoners who escaped a Siberian gulag and walked to SE Asia, it's called The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom. I think there's a movie, too.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

hemophilia posted:

Harkonnens used their weather control sateltites to make their homeworld a desolate piece of poo poo. Something tells me the Russians would probably at least improve their climate if it were as easy as pointing a satelite at their biggest shithole.

Putin's on the case. Ever hear about "global warming"?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBEJCFiD1c0

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Computer viking posted:

Nah, we just toss money at them and/or send over a few eco-activists to try and limit how much pollution drifts across the border. Same reason we helped pay for slightly better storage for their scrap nuke sub reactors.

(There's not much Norwegian industry in Russia. They are apparently hard and unpredictable to deal with, so you'd risk your expensive new factory suddenly running into regulations requiring a majority Russian ownership, or weird new taxes, or the mafia wanting a cut, or import restrictions for the raw materials, or ...)

I think our major export to them is salmon. Absolutely no idea what the largest import is. Vodka, maybe? If so, that's a remarkably timeless exchange.

vodka costs 2 cents per bottle to manufacture and on average retails for 25 dollars.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Top City Homo posted:

vodka costs 2 cents per bottle to manufacture and on average retails for 25 dollars.

Sounds like a great export, then?

Also, Siberia looks remarkably nice. The cities are varying degrees of dreary, but the nature looks pretty and there are little corners that look like they could be quite cozy. Shame about the winters.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 21, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Sounds like a great export, then?

Also, Siberia looks remarkably nice. The cities are varying degrees of dreary, but the nature looks pretty and there are little corners that look like they could be quite cozy. Shame about the winters.

Go to Yukon Territory if you want to see endless tundra without living in a lovely country

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

spud posted:

Zone of Absolute Discomfort pictures here

http://www.panos.co.uk/stories/2-13-1590-2084/Justin-Jin/Zone-of-Absolute-Discomfort/

Some great pics there:

quote:

Dead trees near the nickel procesing facility at Nikel in the Russian Arctic. Sulphur dioxide emitted from the factory has killed vegetation, polluted ground water and causes asthma, especially among children. The factory was built in 1937 during Stalin's rule. In 2001, Norway gave Norilsk Nickel, the head company, 32 million euros to modernise the facility and cut the pollution. The money disappeared, but the factory was not improved.

don't give money to russia idiots

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tusen Takk posted:

Go to Yukon Territory if you want to see endless tundra without living in a lovely country

It's on my list - but we're not exactly lacking for forests and pretty mountains over here either.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Imo the most amazing country to visit if you like mountains and forests is Norway

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

Imo the most amazing country to visit if you like mountains and forests is Norway

Especially if you have a lot of money you want to light on fire.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Tusen Takk posted:

Jeg er ikke helt sikker på om det teller som å "besøke" landet om jeg alt er her, men joa. På den annen side ser Yukon og omegn passe dramatisk ut, og de har noen alvorlige fjell. Kanskje senere. :)

Nm : You've got to burn something to stay warm, so ...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Jeg er ikke helt sikker på om det teller som å "besøke" landet om jeg alt er her, men joa. På den annen side ser Yukon og omegn passe dramatisk ut, og de har noen alvorlige fjell. Kanskje senere. :)

Nm : You've got to burn something to stay warm, so ...

Ja, fjellene er mye større i Nord-Amerika enn de er i Norge, men det er ikke så pen

That being said michigan is so much colder than where I lived in Norway when I lived there :saddowns:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I'm currently eating out of a tin of "Masha & Medved" cookies. Why? Who the gently caress knows, they are cookies and I'm an American.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

Ja, fjellene er mye større i Nord-Amerika enn de er i Norge, men det er ikke så pen

That being said michigan is so much colder than where I lived in Norway when I lived there :saddowns:

Norway has the ocean warming it up. You have to get pretty far north or inland to get as cold as the midwest.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

nm posted:

Especially if you have a lot of money you want to light on fire.

yeah isn't that the country where a beer costs € 100

at least if you go to russia you'll be a billionaire compared to the locals

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FidgetyRat posted:

I'm currently eating out of a tin of "Masha & Medved" cookies. Why? Who the gently caress knows, they are cookies and I'm an American.

Russian exports infiltrating America. Putin genius.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Safety Scissors posted:

Russian exports infiltrating America. Putin genius.

Also infiltrating Americans; corrupting their precious bodily fluids.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

safetyStanddown posted:

If you like this sort of thing, there's a great book by Slavomir Rawicz about a group of prisoners who escaped a Siberian gulag and walked to SE Asia, it's called The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom. I think there's a movie, too.

there was hints of cannibalism :heysexy:

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 22, 2015

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
That Norilsk city is so far north that it has months-long nights, right? I want the go-to image for "dystopian hellhole" in my head to be accurate.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HMS Interwebs posted:

That Norilsk city is so far north that it has months-long nights, right? I want the go-to image for "dystopian hellhole" in my head to be accurate.

30 Days of Night

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

welcum twenty pages ago

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

safetyStanddown posted:

Its too bad though that the book / movie probed to be basically completely made up.

Interesting stuff though.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

du -hast posted:

Its too bad though that the book / movie probed to be basically completely made up.

Haha what, it's completely made up? I kinda liked the movie, although I was waiting for the trek through the himalayas, and it never came. They just walked right through them in 5 seconds, then it was over. gently caress.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

safetyStanddown posted:

edit: how did this double post happen, RADIUM!!!!!!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
how do you double post a half hour apart

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Tardcore posted:

how do you double post a half hour apart

this is something i am also wondering, it was bizarre, it even showed that there was one unread post, and having clicked it, i turned out to be mine

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Post not appearing until a next one's made is a recurring problem. People have complained about it in QCS quite a bit.

• Locked thread