Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Alvin Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

katlington posted:

Alvin Purple.

Yeah some of those 70s/early 80s ozploitation movies are actually pretty great. and obviously Priscilla: Queen of the Desert is amazing.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I owned the Young Einstein soundtrack on electric pink vinyl

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
iron sky is probably really good if you're that poo poo bloke at the party who likes cards against humanity a little too much

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shadeoses posted:

and as a book.

If it were taught as "Wow! Look at how outdated and bizarre the racism in this book seems! Look at how weird it is that people are being mocked for eating spaghetti! Maybe our own modern racisms are also nonsensical and stupid and will be considered as such by future generations!" then I could get behind it. But no, every teacher ever in the 21st century teaches that this the face of racism in Australia - whites being mean to not-white-enough whites for doing weird and crazy things like making sauce for their pasta.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Letters from the Inside was book I read in high-school english that I liked. Also Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James

but A Man for all Seasons can go gently caress itself in a fire. :colbert:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
We read a book called Maestro and it was poo poo. The metaphor/symbolism was completely overblown, as if it were written just for the purpose of being taught to year 10 kids.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Baz Luhrman kinda got crap after Moulin Rouge

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

Baz Luhrman Is Bad.

CrazyTolradi posted:

This for all time.

Romeo + Juliet was good piss off

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
bad luhrman imho

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It was ok.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Romeo and Juliet would've been vastly improved if they'd copy-pasted Di Caprio's character out of What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Iron sky had that cool song.

Unnnndddderrrr the irrrrroooon SkkkkkYyyyyy! *rad instrumental*

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Due to how Looking For Alibrandi is taught at different years at different schools, I had to read it and do assignments on it three times and watch the film multiple times twice. God even if I'd liked it to start with I would have hated it by that point.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Romeo + Juliet was good piss off

I liked it, but TBH I haven't seen it in so long that I can't tell if it's actually good, or if it was just because it was the first Baz Luhrman thing I'd seen.

(both probably)

but I liked the part where romeo and juliet were both the same age

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

We read a book called Maestro and it was poo poo. The metaphor/symbolism was completely overblown, as if it were written just for the purpose of being taught to year 10 kids.

I will never erase the memory of reading about his cum soaked sheets.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I like Moulin Rouge because it's big and stupid and colourful and over-emotional and it's my brother's favourite film and great fun to watch with people who likes its vibrant stupidity.

Romeo+Juliet, ehh, less so. I liked parts of it but overall it felt a bit - I don't know, forced?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Kat Delacour posted:

I will never erase the memory of reading about his cum soaked sheets.

:negative:

I HAD FORGOTTEN

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did any of you guys read a book about surviving a nuclear apocolypse in high school? Would have been years 7, 8 or 9. I've been trying to remember what it was for years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Australia is a loving mess, and has some of the most bizarre pacing of any movie I've seen.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I like how if you think about it for more than a second you realise Christian is probably going to get TB and die too so he won't have too long to sit around moping about Satine.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

bowmore posted:

Did any of you guys read a book about surviving a nuclear apocolypse in high school? Would have been years 7, 8 or 9. I've been trying to remember what it was for years.

z for Zachariah?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bowmore posted:

Children of the Dust?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I like how if you think about it for more than a second you realise Christian is probably going to get TB and die too so he won't have too long to sit around moping about Satine.

I told my sister that when Moulin Rouge was her favorite film and she was very upset with me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kegslayer posted:

z for Zachariah?
Nope, that's what everyone comes up with but it's not that

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

it's much more romantic when it's called Consumption.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Australia is a loving mess, and has some of the most bizarre pacing of any movie I've seen.

That movie was a stinking pile of poo poo and Nicole Kidman's acting was on par with a wooden dummy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Murodese posted:

WAPOL shot and killed a guy during a domestic call on Friday night because he came at them armed and dangerous, and they had some brief footage of the weapon on the news tonight. It was a Leatherman mini-blade on a pocketknife, about 3 inches long. Apparently they didn't try to use pepper spray or tasers either, just shot him in the stomach. A pretty WAPOL job, really.

A three inch knife is enough to seriously injure or even kill someone. If he came at them then they were right to defend themselves.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

bowmore posted:

When the Wind Blows?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mithranderp posted:

:negative:

I HAD FORGOTTEN

One of our other novels was In The Lake of the Woods and I've lived with the memory of a Vietnam vet vividly reliving maybe killing his wife by pouring boiling water on her face.

Thanks VCE.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That could be it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hawaiian_robot posted:

When the Wind Blows?
Nah, that looks interesting though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One thing I remember specifically is they turned away Goths at the settlement or whatever it was they were staying at.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
Tomorrow when the war began?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Post apocolyptic media talk - I remember watching Threads in early high school because our science teacher couldn't be bothered and holy poo poo it was terrifying. I can't believe it was made (partially) by channel Nine.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

white mans burping posted:

Tomorrow when the war began?
No Nuclear bombs in that one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bowmore posted:

You might be thinking of Tomorrow When The War Began, which isn't actually a nuclear apocalypse, but probably had similar notes getting hit. It's possible you misremembered the 'nuclear' part.

I wanted to point the finger at a prolific author I remember reading a lot of in the curriculum around that age, but I don't actually remember who that was; I thought it was Paul Jennings, but I just checked and that's a different guy. I remember one of their books was a sci-fi retelling of the First Fleet, is that ringing bells for anyone else?

EDIT: Beaten on Tomorrow, oh well.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Picnic at Hanging Rock was a worldwide success I think, and I thought Walkabout was pretty good

e: and 12 Canoes was good too

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Kegslayer posted:

Post apocolyptic media talk - I remember watching Threads in early high school because our science teacher couldn't be bothered and holy poo poo it was terrifying. I can't believe it was made (partially) by channel Nine.

That looks really good, I'm going to have to remember to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Does Italian Spiderman count as Australian cinema?

Besides, it's Australia, we export all our natural resources.

• Locked thread