Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Now someone needs to mod in gay parades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My city has become large enough that the simulation is slowing down on my computer now. Running at full speed no longer runs at actual full speed, which is kind of a bummer.

Is there a mod that lets you do things like add "no left turn" signs to intersections? That would be useful.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 22, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

mr sad posted:

As a side note, just the thought of having to build so many landfills and incinerators makes me anxious. I'm keeping my eye out for a mod that introduces future tech to help you deal with garbage in a more sustainable way. Or maybe there's something already like that in the game and I haven't unlocked it yet.

Incinerators don't really waste that much space, I never even bother to build landfills. I only went up to ~150k citizens once and it seemed to manage fine.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I've hit the point where I think another 50k pop or so (at 250k atm) I may have to enable the 25 square mod

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm enjoying this map a lot. The height variations add a lot of character to the place, and making switchbacks up steep hills is a challenge. Dirt roads can take rougher climbs than paved roads, but you cant make bridges with them, so if it's really rough I've to make a mixed road.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Another rebalancing mod that looks interesting.

Building Simulation Overhaul
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411190402

copypasted: This mod aims to change the growth of buildings in the city by introducing a new factor to the simulation: density levels! They are not visible as a bar, but are fairly clear from the height of buildings. In order for larger buildings to grow, there has to be a certain amount of density and land value in a large area (the distance that the measurement is over is about 2km radius.)

The ban hi rises policy will ban buildings above a certain height.

The number of workers and households per building is dependant upon the level of the building and its size (including height). This means large hi rises will have quite a few more people in them.

Residents will have lower happiness if they don't have essential services, although this doesn't do much at the moment, I am planning ways to make happiness more relevant to the game.

Industrial extractors take much longer to deplete reserves of oil and ore. Industry pollution spreads farther, but hi tech industry (level 3) pollutes much less.

Land value and service requirements for building adjusted, leveling up buildings is generally more difficult.

Residents less likely to move in well educated, helps keep the education situation from getting out of control.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fluo posted:

I've hit the point where I think another 50k pop or so (at 250k atm) I may have to enable the 25 square mod

The sewer outflow should go right where those two dams meet.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fluo posted:

I'm amazed you managed to cram 250k into the 9 squares to be honest.

But looking at that picture, I can't tell where do your citizens poop?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Domattee posted:

Looks like he's using clean outflow pipes on the far left.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man if only the weird AA issue didnt make some shots look like rear end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have to say, I'm kinda disappointed that city objects are so... generic. As far as I can tell, there's no distinction between residential, commercial or industrial NIMBY/YIMBY so it's not like a certain type of building should go in your offices and another in your residential. And Rewards don't do anything besides provide a general land value boost and tourism attraction. I'd like specific effects.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Domattee posted:

MikeJF posted:

Looks like he's using clean outflow pipes on the far left.

Yeah and top right is where I get my drinking water

And yeah I've had to cram abit in here and there but the landgrap has me get it from a static 190k to 250k+ (I think I'll hit 300k then need to get more), at max achievement without mods you get 12 squares. Some of the archivements I should have aimmed for prior to the massive expansion, as getting 50% unemployment with 275k pop is hard haha

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 22, 2015

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
If you just want the buildings unlocked and don't care how then grab the Los Santos save and open it up. It's got a bunch of the unique buildings plopped and the game will unlock them for future use if you open the save of a map that has them already placed.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Has anyone else ever ended up with weird orphaned bus-stops that aren't connected to a line and can't be clicked on or moved or deleted? If so is there a solution because this red dot of doom is causing an ever increasing number of people to congregate. Originally it was on a bridge so I thought they were looking at the view at first, then wondered if I'd stumbled on some bizzare death cult but on deleting bridge the stop jumped to the next bit of road where everyone ran to. I only have one bus line and it isn't connected to that. I tried moving another stop right under it but it won't do it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I fixed the power station a bit. I used smoothing groups to make the smokestacks smooth instead of revealing their low poly-ness. I also fixed the upkeep on it to nearly double its original value. It's still a better value than solar, but that's kind of the point.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Finally managed to get the Cargo stations to work properly, two ways in, one way out, only take in cargo trains from one direction.

And a few obligatory city pictures.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Trains :argh:

Not sure how to deal with this little embuggerance. It has ripples throughout the entire neighbourhood (note the trash conga line that's just permanently stuck there now, for instance). Remove the crossing and replace it with an overpass, I guess.

Edit: Holy poo poo though, just look at this.

There are 15 trains just stuck waiting at that exchange.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 22, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Rail over-/underpasses instead of crossing, and I guess for rails, have parallel detours from the main line or at least have multiple train-lengths between train junctions to minimize the risk of that happening, I suppose. I think a good question to ask at any rail junction is how much else gets blocked if three trains are queued up at it, and if the answer is more than "nothing", it's back to the drawing board.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm pretty proud of my growing city:

:3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you connect the outside world to your train network? And have passengers and cargo both running on it?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

This map has no outside rail connection. The train line has both passengers and cargo, yes.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I might have to remove my rail network from the outside world. It seems to just be bogging things down. But wouldn't that cause massive issues with the outside line not being able to import/export goods to and from my city? I don't want people to start using trucks instead, because the only thing worse than clogged rail is clogged roads.

Also yeah, you should try and minimise points where the cargo lines and passenger lines are running on the same route. At least make it so that their stations are a) not next to each other on the track and b) stations are on their own little offshoots on the rail (think like a little loop running off to the side and back into it with the station on the loop). That should minimise queuing on your lines.

Incidentally, I can never get passengers to bother to use my trains. Given other options, they will always choose them instead.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 22, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
For my second city, I created Shykago. It's based off this Chicago map, which is probably pretty boring if you're not from around these parts. I started off trying to stay true to the city, but that's a project for someone with more patience than me.

I used the first version of the Chicago map, which basically has almost no river flow. More than 3 water treatment plants reversed the flow of the river and had me on the brink of killing everyone. In order to fix it, I have had to put several water intake valves near my treatment plants and basically keep those particular intakes disconnected from my regular water system. Supposedly this is all fixed in the new map. It definitely taught me some lessons in working with water in City Skylines.

Here's the city with about 95,000 population.

Unfortunately, there's no way to give your industry Meat Focus in the game yet.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ew, all those grids.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I basically run my local rail network independently from the outside link. One (maybe two) passenger station for long distance trains, next to a local station so they can hop on and hop off to wherever they want to go.

(Setting up a bus interchange next to the two train station works pretty well too)

I find that it's OK to run the goods line to the outside connection, but I do keep them out of the way of the passenger link to the terminal station, either by spur lines or just running them past my industrial areas. That way you can still have your imports and exports but they don't mug your suburban passenger trains.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Sober posted:

Welp, a traffic lights mod. What a world we live in. Now all that's left is a mod that can let us change the lane behaviour on roads.

Ask and you shall receive.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408209297

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Another Person posted:

Ew, all those grids.

Never visited Chicago? You should come. We have good meat and beer.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

beerinator posted:

Never visited Chicago?

nope, but regardless grids will always be scrub tier play in city building games imo, they take so little thought and ingenuity, like playing with training wheels

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Another Person posted:

nope, but regardless grids will always be scrub tier play in city building games imo, they take so little thought and ingenuity, like playing with training wheels

My first city was nothing but squiggly lines.

Here's Chicago, fyi:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Don't cityshame. :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Do cims have some kind of multilanephobia?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

beerinator posted:

Here's Chicago, fyi:

It is interesting looking around. A lot of big cities in the US tend to be grid style, but if you go to the suburbs of said cities they become the squiggly line type places because it looks nicer and there is more space available to do so.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Question: Is it possible to create a zone that bans car travel but still allows trucks for delivery to businesses?

Basically I want to make a downtown area that has a lot of businesses and apartment buildings but I only want people to be able to walk it, take the bus, bike, etc. I then want to build suburbs that will connect to the city via train lines. The suburbs and downtown will connect to industrial zone via trains also. The suburbs will also connect to industrial zone via highway.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Diviance posted:

It is interesting looking around. A lot of big cities in the US tend to be grid style, but if you go to the suburbs of said cities they become the squiggly line type places because it looks nicer and there is more space available to do so.

I guess it's because many US cities were more planned, where many European cities started/grew organically?

Here's some history into Chicago's grid system.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I basically run my local rail network independently from the outside link. One (maybe two) passenger station for long distance trains, next to a local station so they can hop on and hop off to wherever they want to go.

(Setting up a bus interchange next to the two train station works pretty well too)

I find that it's OK to run the goods line to the outside connection, but I do keep them out of the way of the passenger link to the terminal station, either by spur lines or just running them past my industrial areas. That way you can still have your imports and exports but they don't mug your suburban passenger trains.

AFAIK Passenger trains do not carry your citizens, only tourists.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

SynthOrange posted:

Man if only the weird AA issue didnt make some shots look like rear end.

I've been using your island.

I'm not sure what happened, it just sorta grew like that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Finally constructed the space elevator. Only four more monuments to go. Billboards are nice, but I'd like to be able to plonk out some real big ones. Like, I want a Times Square somewhere in my city. Maybe I could mod them in myself... hmm.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

beerinator posted:

Here's Chicago, fyi:

if you are building literal chicago, then it is passable

drunkill posted:

Don't cityshame. :colbert:

I must cityshame, it is the only thing that makes me feel good about my own cities, which are traffic and pyro nightmares due to squiggly lines and roads meeting each other in the most nonsense ways

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mr sad posted:

As a side note, just the thought of having to build so many landfills and incinerators makes me anxious. I'm keeping my eye out for a mod that introduces future tech to help you deal with garbage in a more sustainable way. Or maybe there's something already like that in the game and I haven't unlocked it yet.

Just look for Super Recycle Center: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410777401

There is also an advanced crematorium that is very useful.

And advanced schools. Holy hell. I thought I was doing ok with a school in each district until I hit high density and all of a sudden I needed to build schools for 15,000 students. And the stock school has a capacity of what? 500 kids? Mods are saving my life.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My city has become large enough that the simulation is slowing down on my computer now. Running at full speed no longer runs at actual full speed, which is kind of a bummer.

Is there a mod that lets you do things like add "no left turn" signs to intersections? That would be useful.

Oh god, yes. No left turn would be great. Then I can build a city full of Michigan lefts. Edit: Haha, yes. One post below me.

And I traffic tip I found: Do not build offramps on the left side of the highway. Not only is it bad practice in real life but if you do it in game it will cause huge backups because the cars can't handle merging like that.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

So I guess there's a mod now that lets you manually configure turn lanes. Still early days but maybe it'll help with being able to do traffic-trident like setups, without having to micro-manage the exit roads. Unknown if it causes issues with the manual light configuration mod.