Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tsurupettan posted:

e: if you don't like the price, GMG almost always has 20% off coupons available. The game has also gone on sale on steam for as low as 67% off.

Yeah I kinda figured I'd just wait til a good sale comes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
One thing to note about cyrodiil is its caves are proper hardcore (especially if you're under-level for them) and because they have lots of bosses they're kind of more like miniature public dungeons

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KiddieGrinder posted:

Well...something about ultimate evil bad guy demon god thing, have to stop him, get help from heroes of the past, etc. Pretty standard fantasy fare so far, afaik. There's a main story quest every five levels, so ten in total.

To be honest the side quests are at least equally interesting or sometimes even more so than the main story.

edit: another thing that bugged me is vampires and werewolves aren't available until you're about level 40, which is nearly at the level cap. I'm worried when/if they ever add the Dark Brotherhood it'll be something similar, designed for end game.

Basically you seem to be better off modding Skyrim than playing ESO. That's my personal recommendation. :(

The main story is Generic Fantasy 101.

The side quests are amazing. The number of times they gently caress with your expectations is amazing.

The decisions you can make in the quests are also great. They aren't the bullshit of "Would you like to [kick] the puppy, or [pet] the puppy?" generic bullshit that Choice systems in most games are. Many of them actually represent meaningful choices between two grey areas of morality.

Example:
A body guard gets possessed by a Daedra and kills An Important Political Figure.

Everyone agrees that he was possessed and didn't have a hand in it. Do you execute him to preserve the peace or pardon him because he was possessed?

There is another where you murder someone for some gangsters. I mean after all he was a quest giver and couldn't possibly be lying to you about the reason why the guy has to be killed. But hey, you got some boots out of it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

My favorite choice so far is: Do I make a guy who exchanged his servitude for power go back to his ugly harpy crow thing 'wife', do I kill her because apparently she manipulated him into being magically bound to her for eternity, or do I kill them both because gently caress it you're both poo poo.

I made him go back to his ugly crow wife and they started bickering like a married couple. And she was all like 'ohhh your son can come live with us in the tower!'

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The three act play structure of the zone quests gets predictable after a while but they are generally well done, especially the recurring characters, especially the non mandatory ones like The Daggers

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Wait... There actually is no trial version available ?

Huh.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The Main Story is alright but not the strongest story in the game as it is your typical TES main story of "big bad is out to end the world and you are the chosen one to stop it" but each zone has its own self-contained arc and while the quality can vary they are all pretty good. It is fairly linear but you can sequence break your way around a zone if you want.

edit: and yeah, each faction has their own cast of recurring characters that you meet in the starter areas and pop up throughout the faction storylines and they're pretty good.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I will say this about the Main Quest: I found the final confrontation to be more entertaining than watching Martin dragon out in Oblivion or punching Alduin in the face in Skyrim. :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
How much actual content/stuff to do at endgame is there?

Is it like, make a dude, level to cap, see the story quests, then you're done?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I like the Rivenspire quests. It builds to the climax nicely, and you get to know all the characters involved.

My vampire bro. :(

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

WarLocke posted:

How much actual content/stuff to do at endgame is there?

Is it like, make a dude, level to cap, see the story quests, then you're done?

There's end game dungeons, raid ('trials') content and pvp.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And depending on your definition of endgame, two thirds as in other two factions that technically are supposed to be done before Craglorn if it still starts at VR10 or somewhere around that.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Could I get an invite to EP? @ManifoldCuriosity

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The real endgame once they drop the Veteran Rank system is going to be the Cadwell's Silver/Gold (the other two faction areas), Veteran Group Dungeons, Undaunted Pledges, PvP, Craglorn, and all the upcoming DLC they have planned (Imperial City, Clockwork City, deeper into Black Marsh :black101:).

As for the story, I found the zone stories to be more entertaining than the main story. Some of the choices do affect the game later on, but not in a massive way. Usually it's either in dialogue or who you encounter later on. EP newbie islands force you to choose who you save during an attack, and DC story makes you choose whether to keep or give up an artifact of power. Both of those forks affect the game later on.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 22, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Do any of the ui overhauls or whatever include a timer for your debuffs/dots?

e: nevermind I am blind I glazed over it since i saw 'buffs', not debuffs. FTC does it.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 22, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Could I get an invite for the Ebonheart guild for @boho

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Enjoying it so far. I'm really surprised by just how Elder Scrolls it all is after a lot of reviews back in the day said it was basically warcraft, then again I don't know what they've improved since launch.

How raid focused does the game get? Normally when I reach the point of 'Raid or Daily Quests' I tend to stop playing as I don;t have anywhere near the time for it.

I'd like an invite to the EP guild please, @shikasama

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Sorvah posted:

Account not found.

e: vvv I copied+pasted it from above and got the not found error.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 22, 2015

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
That's weird, it says my UserID on the contacts page is @shikasama - am I looking at the wrong thing like an idiot?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tsurupettan posted:

My favorite choice so far is: Do I make a guy who exchanged his servitude for power go back to his ugly harpy crow thing 'wife', do I kill her because apparently she manipulated him into being magically bound to her for eternity, or do I kill them both because gently caress it you're both poo poo.

I made him go back to his ugly crow wife and they started bickering like a married couple. And she was all like 'ohhh your son can come live with us in the tower!'

Talk to the father and then the son after the quest. They really are a bickering couple. It's hilarious. Even the son can't help but roll his eyes and wonder how his father is going to bullshit his way out of convincing him he hosed up this time.

Some of the random dialogue is pretty amazing. You wouldn't see stuff like that in Skyrim. Shame there's no real indication that it exists without exploring though.

Edit: Also that little miniature zone is a great place to get tier 1 leather. The wolves can be slaughtered en-mass with a half decent build.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sorvah posted:

Enjoying it so far. I'm really surprised by just how Elder Scrolls it all is after a lot of reviews back in the day said it was basically warcraft, then again I don't know what they've improved since launch.

How raid focused does the game get? Normally when I reach the point of 'Raid or Daily Quests' I tend to stop playing as I don;t have anywhere near the time for it.

Raids are just one part of the endgame. You can dick about with PvP (which is more their focus) or just do the other faction zones at your leisure.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

I made a guy on the EP faction and would appreciate a guild invite on @minsky.

Edit: got it thanks

Minsky fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 22, 2015

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Do any of you guys have sugestions for trying to start using new skill tree's after 30 levels? I'm taking my Templar DW/Bow but I have not used either tree's much. I made the mistake of reseting my stats for stamina and now I'm sort of boned in a fight.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Do any of you guys have sugestions for trying to start using new skill tree's after 30 levels? I'm taking my Templar DW/Bow but I have not used either tree's much. I made the mistake of reseting my stats for stamina and now I'm sort of boned in a fight.

Carry around a bow/dagger set with the training traits and use your normal build/skills. Whenever you're about to complete a quest swap out for the bow/daggers and load your skill bar with bow/dw skills and all that exp should go towards those skillsets.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Carry around a bow/dagger set with the training traits and use your normal build/skills. Whenever you're about to complete a quest swap out for the bow/daggers and load your skill bar with bow/dw skills and all that exp should go towards those skillsets.
You can also get wykkd's outfitter to save equipment sets and make a button to toggle them.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

I guess its to late for that, I already traded off alot of my magika gear but now I lack stamina regen so I have no sustainability in a fight. C'est la vie! Guess I'll just have to tough it out for awhile until I find some stamina regen medium stuff.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Ebonheart goon requesting invite @Kaincypher

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
If anyone gets a chance to throw a fellow Ebonheart an invite to @CruzerZERO I'd appreciate it!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If anyone feels like tossing an invite to @Orangejuche for the EP guild that would be great. Thanks!

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
How long does maintenance usually last for?

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
Are there any plans for an EU based guild, or does everyone from EU just play on the NA server? I was thinking about EU just to see if I can get any improved performance.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Truth posted:

How long does maintenance usually last for?

OF says a couple hours. Try again in a while I guess?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Maintenance usually lasts 1-3 hours.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Envy Insanity posted:

Are there any plans for an EU based guild, or does everyone from EU just play on the NA server? I was thinking about EU just to see if I can get any improved performance.

House N'wah is still up and running from launch, but I haven't seen any chat on my log - unless you specifically have to tune into /guild.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.

GuyUpNorth posted:

House N'wah is still up and running from launch, but I haven't seen any chat on my log - unless you specifically have to tune into /guild.

But you prefer to play on NA anyway?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Started EU, dropped after summer, went back in. Apparently I could go NA, but that involves too much trouble for setting up NA client - besides, I'd have to start all over.

Munaus
Jan 10, 2015
I found a copy with explorers pack included for only 38 €. :dance:
As a dumb, greedy needy babby I went and bought it before asking the most important question: is my internet speed enough?

I couldn't find my answer on the ESO forum, except for the complaining of patch downloads. I know I have to wait a few days for updates and patches to download
But what of the gameplay? I live in EU and will of course play on EU server, so how much will my low speed affect lagginess?

Sorvah
Dec 1, 2014
Ah, the NA/EU thing is probably why I can't get an invite into the guild.

MYSTERY SOLVED.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/160038/patch-notes-v2-0-2

Patch notes from maintenance today. Definitely seems like they are trying to get more people into PVP via the emphasis on Cyrodiil, which is awesome. Questing and the promise of plenty of XP in the zone means more "open world" PVP encounters instead of just zergs (at least I hope, because that's my favorite part of the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So the servers are up and all the xp buffs are in? Sweetness. Is this gonna be a noticeable increase in leveling speed?

• Locked thread