Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
You want a gridhell, I'll give you a gridhell.

Everything is 8x8 cells, 2 lane bidirectional roads. Highway is basically a gigantic roundabout around the outskirts. Almost all roads are red, but traffic does not back up. Roads are capped though and I can't build any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
With about 30 hours of playtime, I've got to say I love this game. Or loved it. I've encountered a bug where saving my city causes an immediate crash. :( I've disabled all of my mods and the problem persists.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Squido posted:

I've been using your island.

I'm not sure what happened, it just sorta grew like that.

Oh man I love seeing how other people have used the space. All those twisty elevated roads running along cliffs, amazing.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man I love seeing how other people have used the space. All those twisty elevated roads running along cliffs, amazing.

Why did you leave a second highway nub unconnected to the route that feeds into the starting tile? I could've had my city's borders grow sensibly, but then I noticed that little highway nub off in the corner and a little voice in my head said you must complete the highway and now my city borders are dumb. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I've made my first expansion across a body of water and I'm proud to say there were no horrible fuckups! Still haven't reached the population amount required to start pumping away the poop water on the Coast of rear end but pretty soon I will!

Here's the angle from the opposite shore, during construction.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

This is at the southern edge of my city, and I've got traffic backed up for miles here because everyone heading north to leave town wants to merge into the lefthand lane at that exact spot. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe I have too many exits on that side.

Edit: VVV Fair warning, it is disgusting:

I noticed most of the traffic in the interchange was trying to move from west to north, so I added that weird Y-shaped ramp that no one uses in case some of them wanted to travel on the parallel highway.

I think the problem here is you designed your interchange the way a crazy person would.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CJacobs posted:

I've made my first expansion across a body of water and I'm proud to say there were no horrible fuckups! Still haven't reached the population amount required to start pumping away the poop water on the Coast of rear end but pretty soon I will!

Here's the angle from the opposite shore, during construction.
I'm curious, is it possible to just have a set of water pumps and water treatment plants completely off the main water/sewage grid, just constantly pumping in dirty water on your coast and having the treatment plant sending it back out, somewhat cleaner?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

E: Also what do these fused grid things accomplish?

Walkability similar to that of a strict grid, but with less land taken by roads and less traffic issues because everyone's funneled through major avenues first before they get to individual blocks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

smoobles posted:

I think the problem here is you designed your interchange the way a crazy person would.

Smoobles how would you make a byob city and if you have one, you should make a thread about it in 'yob.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

smoobles posted:

Ray Stantz posted:

No! Nobody ever made them like this! The architect was either a certified genius or an authentic wacko!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lester Shy posted:

This is at the southern edge of my city, and I've got traffic backed up for miles here because everyone heading north to leave town wants to merge into the lefthand lane at that exact spot. Is there any way to fix this? Maybe I have too many exits on that side.

Edit: VVV Fair warning, it is disgusting:

I noticed most of the traffic in the interchange was trying to move from west to north, so I added that weird Y-shaped ramp that no one uses in case some of them wanted to travel on the parallel highway.
They've all got the same destination exit somewhere north of the screenshot. The bottle neck isn't the pictured interchange but wherever they are all going that they need to be in the same lane.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The power satellite from Sim City looks pretty awesome in Cities:

Summervale is getting pretty big now, i've started expanding toward another area. I have the 25 tiles mod but i'm still only on the first 9. Game is huge. Here's my expo centre park at the west side of town:

Here's the centre of the city and the highway running through it. In hindsight this might not have been a good idea - there isn't alot of room to manoeuvre and the two junctions off the highway into the city are extremely busy at the moment:

This was the original avenue that I built before the highway for transport, which is now fairly quiet. I want to try create an off-ramp at the centre of the highway, but it's going to take alot of save/reloading and planning to try get it right:

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 22, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I just unlocked water treatment plants, and thusly, the coast of rear end' chemotherapy has begun! :toot:

Sober posted:

I'm curious, is it possible to just have a set of water pumps and water treatment plants completely off the main water/sewage grid, just constantly pumping in dirty water on your coast and having the treatment plant sending it back out, somewhat cleaner?

That is an interesting idea.

I set up a little test area along the coast (middle of the screenshot) to see if it'll work, and if it does I'll expand it to the whole thing to hopefully get my water not full of poo poo logs sometime this ingame century.

edit: It does not work, unfortunately. Pumping dirty water directly into the treatment plant does not make the treatment plant filter it back into cleaner water. Apparently it has to go from the pump to other places for the treatment plant to start filtering it out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 22, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Make pumps, connect those pumps to each other and nothing else, watch the poo vanish. No treatment (or indeed outlet of any kind) required.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Prop Wash posted:

Make pumps, connect those pumps to each other and nothing else, watch the poo vanish. No treatment (or indeed outlet of any kind) required.

This is working, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why. It doesn't logically seem like it should be for obvious reasons!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CJacobs posted:

I did not realize how bad The Coast Of rear end had gotten until I looked at my pollution map. Time to build a bridge across the water and make an actual beach there where the water's not 99% turds on the other side. :stare:

Party in the front, pollution in the back.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I need some advice with my road building fundamentals, just to make sure I'm not building on bad ideas:

Is there anything wrong with using pure highways for a highway intersection? I only ask because pretty much every three-way intersection in the workshop (as well as the default pre-made one) use ramps for the connectors. Is it just a matter of saving construction costs and space or will it somehow cause problems?

Also, merging two highways into a six lane road makes sense in my head as the ideal way to merge my highway into a city center. How right or wrong is this?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The reason people don't use highways is that there is no reason to do so. You are at most ever going to have three lanes worth of traffic, splitting that into 6 lanes doesn't do anything for you. Ramps are perfectly fine 99% of the time. Using highways isn't going to cause any problems other than waste money and space.

Merging two highways into an avenue is fine as long as the highway interchange before the merge allows for U-Turns. Otherwise you might get some bad congestion at the merge.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
That's what I needed to hear, thanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah it's plain easier making spaghetti turns with the offramps. Your intersections are HUGE.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Olympia has grown another 30,000 people. It now cranks all four CPU cores to 100%.

Two new districts: Andromeda Park, complete with billboards, greenery, and space elevator. It works quite well, and the traffic flows well.

Euripides Overlook is not faring as well. I had to split and extend the highway again, but the people still insist on clogging up the avenue. This place is a mess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Why did you leave a second highway nub unconnected to the route that feeds into the starting tile? I could've had my city's borders grow sensibly, but then I noticed that little highway nub off in the corner and a little voice in my head said you must complete the highway and now my city borders are dumb. :(

Excellent. :unsmigghh:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chocobo posted:

I need some advice with my road building fundamentals, just to make sure I'm not building on bad ideas:

Is there anything wrong with using pure highways for a highway intersection? I only ask because pretty much every three-way intersection in the workshop (as well as the default pre-made one) use ramps for the connectors. Is it just a matter of saving construction costs and space or will it somehow cause problems?

Also, merging two highways into a six lane road makes sense in my head as the ideal way to merge my highway into a city center. How right or wrong is this?

As mentioned, there's nothing wrong with using highways for on-ramps. You're just wasting space and money and I really cannot see any advantage to it, but it should work just fine.

As for the second idea, that's actually one of the best things you can do in the game for traffic management. I use a pair of highway connected like that to make overpasses/underpasses. It creates a squashed roundabout that takes up less space than a normal roundabout. Just don't connect any other roads to the intersection or you'll spawn traffic lights, the bane of Cim traffic. Connect any other roads to the 6-lane down a ways.

Oh, did you make the map? I picked it up from the thread, started playing it and then kinda tuned everything out. It's an amazing map. Especially the river/waterfall that's giving me 1.5K MW. :getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abusing bus ways and pedestrian walkways and fused grids to make a nice city. Thanks thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So this is a good way to go about mass transit, right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yea, except replace metro with train because trains are cooler.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes. Treat it like a creature's blood supply. You have what's basically an artery/vain leading to capillaries right there. If you have a larger city have the metro line also lead to a hub of metro lines so folks can switch over to another vain/artery.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yea, except replace metro with train because trains are cooler.

It's so weird metro comes before trains

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How do you get a railway crossing? The game won't let me intersect roads with railroad tracks.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Am I wrong for wanting a classical overhaul mod? Nobody has ever done a Roman city builder well at all.

Though frankly, classical cities would remove 2/3rds of the fun--public transportation networks, power generation, public services, heavy industry...

You know what? Bad idea.

In any case my wife and son are getting to the point of yelling at me for spending too much time on this.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Subyng posted:

How do you get a railway crossing? The game won't let me intersect roads with railroad tracks.

Are you trying to trace the road through the track or into it? If you trace the road into the track like you were hooking up a pair of roads it should work.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Subyng posted:

You can't draw them across each other, but you can drag a road/track onto a track/road and it'll make a three-way junction that you can then continue from.

e:f,b, also

ZombieLenin posted:

Am I wrong for wanting a classical overhaul mod? Nobody has ever done a Roman city builder well at all.

:colbert:

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 22, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ZombieLenin posted:

Though frankly, classical cities would remove 2/3rds of the fun--public transportation networks, power generation, public services, heavy industry...

You know what? Bad idea.

In any case my wife and son are getting to the point of yelling at me for spending too much time on this.
Grand Ages: Rome is pretty decent, or if you want to go back further, the Caesar games. They are more supply-chain city building games. They're vastly different from a city planning builder because city planning was really rare back then, so stuff just grew organically. It kinda captures that really well in those style of games.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Who wants to mod in a MIRE building collection?

Shader: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411770965&searchtext=

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zedprime posted:

They've all got the same destination exit somewhere north of the screenshot. The bottle neck isn't the pictured interchange but wherever they are all going that they need to be in the same lane.

But there are no left-hand exits on that highway, so shouldn't they all be bunching up in the right lane? I looked at about twenty of the problem cars with the traffic inspector mod. Half of them eventually want to take a one-lane, right-hand off-ramp that leads to an east/west highway, while the rest are "leaving town" or "exporting goods."

smoobles posted:

This is true. In my defense, I was about 30 hours into the game before I realized you could bulldoze and rebuild the starting highway to your liking, so I have a ton of redundant highways. Since it was originally outside of my city limits, I assumed I didn't "own" it.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

simosimo posted:

Loving texturing this. Do we think my style of hand drawn textures will fit in the game?

This looks great!

It also reminded me that you had asked about those hard shadows that obscure you being able to see the geometry/textures in the shadows. That doesn't seem right.

Can you right click on your view properties and open a flyout that looks similar to this? Try selecting Use Default Lights:

You'll have to forgive me if it looks a bit different than that. I'm oldschool as hell and use Max 2010 at home still because I've disliked a lot of the interface changes that have happened since 2012. But it should be similar.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lester Shy posted:

But there are no left-hand exits on that highway, so shouldn't they all be bunching up in the right lane? I looked at about twenty of the problem cars with the traffic inspector mod. Half of them eventually want to take a one-lane, right-hand off-ramp that leads to an east/west highway, while the rest are "leaving town" or "exporting goods."

This is true. In my defense, I was about 30 hours into the game before I realized you could bulldoze and rebuild the starting highway to your liking, so I have a ton of redundant highways. Since it was originally outside of my city limits, I assumed I didn't "own" it.
Oh in that case I think I figured it out. Try changing these red circled intersections (and any other multilanes) to single lanes. I think the cims are getting confused about what is and isnt a local lane and trying to beeline far away from anything resembling a multi lane off/on ramp.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Is this normal for that many people, or just because I have 7 or 8 mods going? CPU is a 2 year old i7

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

God that game is/was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Slickdrac posted:

Is this normal for that many people, or just because I have 7 or 8 mods going? CPU is a 2 year old i7

Is that Windows XP 64 bit?