Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

"""""Highbeam"""""

That's what this is

right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

DJCobol posted:

The lady at the dealer didn't get it when I asked if I could apply for a personalized plate instead of a standard one, and put "LYRDN" on the application.

This was a good choice.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

DJCobol posted:

I've been wanting to get rid of my Triumph for a while now, and when I saw this beauty at the local Harley dealer, I had to have it.

2011 V-Rod Night Rod Special in matte black w/ orange accents. The only things that it has done to it is a different rear fender (it has the V-rod muscle rear fender w/ integrated brake light and turn signals) and a Vance & Hines Competition 2 into 1 exhaust and a Vance & Hines FuelPak. I plan on getting the exhaust ceramic coated because that poo poo is HOT in traffic and I lightly toasted the heel of my right boot. I also want to get a quieter baffle because its loud as gently caress and a little droney at highway speeds.

The lady at the dealer didn't get it when I asked if I could apply for a personalized plate instead of a standard one, and put "LYRDN" on the application.

Is it comfortable? I've always coveted the Nightrod but I heard it wasn't the smoothest ride.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How much did it run you?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Strife posted:

Is it comfortable? I've always coveted the Nightrod but I heard it wasn't the smoothest ride.
I may get a different seat for it eventually, but so far it is VERY comfortable.

Radbot posted:

How much did it run you?
Right about $12k, which is what KBB lists bluebook as.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

DJCobol posted:

I may get a different seat for it eventually, but so far it is VERY comfortable.

Right about $12k, which is what KBB lists bluebook as.

I've been curious about the vrods, is there a reason they keep their value so well? I see 03 vrods in SoCal for $10k sometimes. They are probably crazy, but still, there are many listed much closer to the price of a new one. A new Night Rod is only $17k or so...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

El Jebus posted:

I've been curious about the vrods, is there a reason they keep their value so well? I see 03 vrods in SoCal for $10k sometimes. They are probably crazy, but still, there are many listed much closer to the price of a new one. A new Night Rod is only $17k or so...

Because some of them are like this:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/4932989172.html

All jokes about polished/never ridden aside, people with $10-20K into a bike anything have a tendency to want to preserve it and stave off depreciation. Second, I'm beginning to hear buzz about HD being back in a position to charge above MSRP in some markets, particularly if you're already bent over and are paying the vig, taxes, destination, undercoating, etc. (making the $17K bike cited above God knows what all in.) This makes the private, string-free used market for HDs in general really, really, really attractive. Given the glacial pace of change year over year (oft pointed out in these pages) there really isn't much feature sacrifice unless you're gaga over the latest tins. Lastly, they just run now. You really have to be an absolute loving dong to kill these motors, the sort that's easily spotted by anyone performing the due diligence that comes with handing over your own cash.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not to be an rear end or anything, but if you're already looking at 12k+ for a VRod, is there any reason other than brand loyalty to not pick up a Diavel instead? I'd say VMax but gently caress the price on those.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Marv Hushman posted:

All jokes about polished/never ridden aside, people with $10-20K into a bike anything have a tendency to want to preserve it and stave off depreciation. Second, I'm beginning to hear buzz about HD being back in a position to charge above MSRP in some markets, particularly if you're already bent over and are paying the vig, taxes, destination, undercoating, etc. (making the $17K bike cited above God knows what all in.) This makes the private, string-free used market for HDs in general really, really, really attractive. Given the glacial pace of change year over year (oft pointed out in these pages) there really isn't much feature sacrifice unless you're gaga over the latest tins. Lastly, they just run now. You really have to be an absolute loving dong to kill these motors, the sort that's easily spotted by anyone performing the due diligence that comes with handing over your own cash.

drat, because I am currently in the market to trade up...

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

Not to be an rear end or anything, but if you're already looking at 12k+ for a VRod, is there any reason other than brand loyalty to not pick up a Diavel instead? I'd say VMax but gently caress the price on those.

Completely different set up , the two really don't compare, as far as riding position or even style.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Outside Dawg posted:

Completely different set up , the two really don't compare, as far as riding position or even style.

True, the Diavel is a much better looking and riding bike. :v:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

iwentdoodie posted:

Couldn't find a decent Diavel anywhere around me for less than $14k-ish, and the local Ducati dealership kinda sucks and wouldn't let me test ride the new one they had. Plus, its a Ducati and I don't have $5000 a year to put towards maintenance.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Marv Hushman posted:

The gently caress? Who in their right mind is paying over sticker for a bike that hasn't significantly changed in awhile? Are they having supply issues or something?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

The gently caress? Who in their right mind is paying over sticker for a bike that hasn't significantly changed in awhile? Are they having supply issues or something?
:goonsay: Right on schedule.

I'd expect the ones they *can* ask over sticker for are the Rushmore models that had fairly comprehensive updates this last MY including engine design, aerodynamics, luggage, suspension, and audio. Folks want that new HO TC103 motor and I think the one-touch cases are pretty cool.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Sorry for being a goon and asking why something might cost a certain amount, classic goony mistake.

Sounds like a dick way of saying "supply issue" to me. You're aware that iPads don't sell for over sticker when they're brand new, right? Why would a motorcycle be any different unless there's a supply issue?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 24, 2015

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

If this was to me then I would say I am not looking at vrods over $12k. Since I am not brand loyal, what I really want is a 2015 R 1200R from BMW. However, there isn't a large used market for 2015 BMWs, unless I am missing something...

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Radbot posted:

Sorry for being a goon and asking why something might cost a certain amount, classic goony mistake.

Sounds like a dick way of saying "supply issue" to me. You're aware that iPads don't sell for over sticker when they're brand new, right? Why would a motorcycle be any different unless there's a supply issue?

One of the guys at a local dealership told me HD has provisioning dealers down to a science, so they rarely have anything sitting for long. He said that it was the most efficient system he's seen in his years in the industry. Then you figure a good percentage of people who've decided to pony up for a brand-new Harley probably have specific enough dreams that they'll order a bike with some degree of factory and/or dealer customization.

Geography probably plays a role, too. I know of a used dealer who recently had TWO 2013 883s listed above brand-new sticker price (plus dealer fees). But given his location I suspect he has a lot of recent transplant dot-com kids with money rolling in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

El Jebus posted:

If this was to me then I would say I am not looking at vrods over $12k. Since I am not brand loyal, what I really want is a 2015 R 1200R from BMW. However, there isn't a large used market for 2015 BMWs, unless I am missing something...

I configured one and started getting close to $17k real quick. Good luck getting a used one much under sticker, too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I configured one and started getting close to $17k real quick. Good luck getting a used one much under sticker, too.

Same here. I figure with my wife's recent promotion and maybe getting a job myself I can afford monthly payments on one but I need to ride to LA or San Diego and test ride a lot of bikes and see what I like and can afford if I am going to buy new.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Pinky Artichoke posted:

One of the guys at a local dealership told me HD has provisioning dealers down to a science, so they rarely have anything sitting for long. He said that it was the most efficient system he's seen in his years in the industry. Then you figure a good percentage of people who've decided to pony up for a brand-new Harley probably have specific enough dreams that they'll order a bike with some degree of factory and/or dealer customization.

Geography probably plays a role, too. I know of a used dealer who recently had TWO 2013 883s listed above brand-new sticker price (plus dealer fees). But given his location I suspect he has a lot of recent transplant dot-com kids with money rolling in.

Spot on. This is what I meant by "some markets." I didn't mean to imply that it was a widespread practice, just that the OTD/Total price has more upward pressure now. And when you start putting together an honest, clinical accounting of these costs, a fixed, zero BS price tag on an equivalent bike starts to look pretty good (assuming it doesn't have filigrees, howling wolves and dreamcatchers all over it.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

El Jebus posted:

Same here. I figure with my wife's recent promotion and maybe getting a job myself I can afford monthly payments on one but I need to ride to LA or San Diego and test ride a lot of bikes and see what I like and can afford if I am going to buy new.

Instead I picked up another loving silly rear end Buell for less than 1/3 the price. Ulysseses are a magnificent bargain right now and they still do the #potatopotatopotato thing. 130% of a road king's capability, 30% of the price.

Seriously if there was one other person on here who rode a Ulysses, I'd have somebody to chat with about motorcycling perfection.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 25, 2015

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

True, the Diavel is a much better looking and riding bike. :v:

The only problem the Diavel has is that it's a Ducati.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Instead I picked up another loving silly rear end Buell for less than 1/3 the price. Ulysseses are a magnificent bargain right now and they still do the #potatopotatopotato thing. 130% of a road king's capability, 30% of the price.

Seriously if there was one other person on here who rode a Ulysses, I'd have somebody to chat with about motorcycling perfection.

I'd love to have one. I'm just not sure it's different enough from my 990 adv to justify having one. That and there's actually a small chance I'll see another 990 in the wild. Then we'd have something to talk about.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
I'm 6'4 and 285lbs and have very little riding experience. Money isn't really an issue, I just don't want to immediately die. My friends and biker buddies are split 50/50 on if I should just say gently caress it and get a street bob, which is my dream bike, as my first bike because they said most idiots get a sportster to start on but I'm way too drat big for one so just start with the bob. Idiot idea or just take it easy and it'll be fine?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Tipping over your dream bike because you made a beginner error like putting your foot down wrong at a stop light is going to suck. It won't jump up and bite you or anything though. Power is mellow, you cannot wheelie or endo it even if you tried. If it's down to that and a sporty, it makes virtually no practical real world difference which one you pick besides how much it will cost. I'd take a sporty though because unit evo > twin cam.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

antisocial86 posted:

I'm 6'4 and 285lbs and have very little riding experience. Money isn't really an issue, I just don't want to immediately die. My friends and biker buddies are split 50/50 on if I should just say gently caress it and get a street bob, which is my dream bike, as my first bike because they said most idiots get a sportster to start on but I'm way too drat big for one so just start with the bob. Idiot idea or just take it easy and it'll be fine?

Have you actually sat on a Street Bob?

I'm 6'2" / 200lbs and I had to fold up to get on one.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
Yeah, I've sat on a few. With forwards it was comfy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
What the hell? The wheel base difference between a sporty and a fat Bob is 4 inches. That's not that much. Forwards controls on a sporty give it the same feel. The sportster forward controls are also better constructed then the Dyna poo poo and the engine and drive train is rock solid. Evo sportys just do not break down as long as you change the oil.

Get a used sporty, swap out for a solo seat and some 14 inch bars and save yourself 10 grand. Then learn to ride a motorcycles before spending a fortune.

Full disclosure: I'm a little over 6'1 and around 200 lbs and I ride a sportster.

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs
See I've never sat on a sporty, just been told its way smaller than a Bob. This is why I love you guys. I'll go check one out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

antisocial86 posted:

See I've never sat on a sporty, just been told its way smaller than a Bob. This is why I love you guys. I'll go check one out.

It's going to be much thinner and taller than a fat Bob from the factory. But a low profile solo seat will take some inches off of it. If you find one with the adjustable shocks you can set it to where you like the rear as well. I mean you're a big guy, anything short of an electraglide will look small with you on it. Thats just how it's going to be. Find something that is comfortable for you and isn't xpensive.

Sportys hold their value pretty well so a used one will sell for the same price you bought it for a few years later so long as you haven't wrecked it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The most uncomfortable parts of a sporty are the stock seat and the mid controls. Put on forwards once you learn to ride, and swap out the seat. The stock one has a stiff upswing part in the testicular area that could be problematic for a taller person.

I took the rider's course and immediately bought my bike right after I got my license. It was stupid, because I dropped it on the third day and bent the shift lever and scraped up the clutch, but far be it for me to tell you not to do the exact thing I did. I bent the shift lever back out, and I keep the scraped clutch on as a reminder.

Sportsters are also a good "beginner" bike in that every part of the bike is incredibly accessible and they're easy to maintain. Figure out how to change the oil and the light bulbs and you're good for a while.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

antisocial86 posted:

Yeah, I've sat on a few. With forwards it was comfy.

Ah. Forwards must make the difference. With the stock controls, my knees were below 90. Like I felt like I was leading with my knees.

I went with a Dyna Wide Glide in the end.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Different seats on a Sporty can give you more or less room too. Classic Corbin I had moved me forward and the back of it was so rigid I couldn't sit further back on it to stretch out. Mustang Regal Duke was ugly but comfy and moved me back a couple inches.

That seat with forwards, I could put on miles. I'm not 6'4" though. 6' with long arms/legs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Forwards are a must for me n Sportys. It's just necessary.

On that note aftermarket forwards are crap. Factory ones are bullet proof and awesome. Go with the factory models if you can.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Sportster springs. I want to do short trips with the wife 2up, together we are about 350lbs. Should I do heavy duty progressive 412s and heavy duty fork springs, or regular 412s? It is a bit divey in the front so I thought maybe I would do something about it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

El Jebus posted:

Sportster springs. I want to do short trips with the wife 2up, together we are about 350lbs. Should I do heavy duty progressive 412s and heavy duty fork springs, or regular 412s? It is a bit divey in the front so I thought maybe I would do something about it.

I ran progressive drop in lowering springs up front and street glide air shocks on the rear of my Sporty.

Not sure how they'd compare but the touring air shocks on the rear were nice. I'd run them with no pressure solo and then add a couple pounds when riding 2up.

Road King air shocks are 13"eye to eye and street glide's are 12". I ran both and couldn't tell a difference. Liked the lower street glides for looks. You can grab a set of them used for about 50 bucks so a cheap option.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
She's going up for sale this week...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

She's going up for sale this week...

Nice looking bike. What kind of motor work?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I was riding to Vancouver BC near Mt. Vernon when quite suddenly the motorcycle sounded like it was dragging a bag of river rocks, especially on-throttle. Coasted a bit, looked down to see if the tire was flat, nope. Hit the throttle again and horrible rocks so I pulled the hell off as soon as possible, which luckily was right then and there. I take a look and it seems the pulley bolts have worked their way out? The swing arm is a little bit chewed but nothing anybody would notice.

Near a Harley dealer, but obviously I call around to every other service center in the area because gently caress Harley dealerships. A guy drives out and takes a look -- every pulley bolt has sheared off in the wheel. Everything on this bike is a Harley™ Certified™ Part™.

Nobody nearby had a tow so I had the H-D dealership pick me up because they always have a trailer. They want to sell me a new wheel -- $1200 is the estimate for the fix.

I call the guy who actually bothered to drive out to me and he's a machinist and can get the bolts out and complete the fix for maybe $250 or so. Arranging for a tow on Tuesday when the dealership opens -- I heard that the management is different there, but the employees are all the same from when they earned their apparent bad reputation. To me that's surprising, because I've never been to a Harley dealership that didn't make me never want to give them a cent, they're all overpriced assholes. One time I left the headlight on for a few hours accidentally on my bike and they wanted to sell me a new battery, AND labor to install it.

I pushed my bike a mile back to work, plugged in the trickle charger over the weekend, and was good to go on Monday. H-d dealerships are basically places to avoid. I'm still salty that my bike can only get mapped at a dealership (it's the H-D power commander unit) -- that's like $450 right there if I want to do it ever. Probably never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

How did your pulley bolts get that loose? I've never so much as inspected mine and never had a issue.

Had the pulley been off recently or ever?

As for mapping, get a dynojet power commander for $200 and free maps aplenty on their website or anywhere online.

• Locked thread