Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Variety is good. There should be games that are entirely story, and also games that have absolutely no story.

The Order attempted both at the same time. Bold move if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

Variety is good. There should be games that are entirely story, and also games that have absolutely no story.

The problem is that companies are seemingly using the exact same business model for two very different types of products

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

JazzFlight posted:

I still look back on that E3 moment with really fond memories. That was such a devastating ice-burn on Microsoft.

(of course, it was also a crossroads moment where some really bad policies were about to be put in place and thank goodness we staved that off at least for now)

It's just a shame that it allowed Sony to slip online multiplayer behind the PS+ paywall on the PS4. I wish they'd been called out on that and people had complained, but it looks like we're stuck with paying for multiplayer on consoles from here on out.

I'm hoping that Microsoft gets desperate enough to make multiplayer gaming free on Xbox and maybe force Sony to do the same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Corvo posted:

It's just a shame that it allowed Sony to slip online multiplayer behind the PS+ paywall on the PS4. I wish they'd been called out on that and people had complained, but it looks like we're stuck with paying for multiplayer on consoles from here on out.

I'm hoping that Microsoft gets desperate enough to make multiplayer gaming free on Xbox and maybe force Sony to do the same.

Yeah but you're paying to keep the incredible Sony online infrastructure going, like the 200 kb/s download speeds and prolonged downtimes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Yeah but you're paying to keep the incredible Sony online infrastructure going, like the 200 kb/s download speeds and prolonged downtimes.

Finding out that online would have a charge communicated to me that Sony intended to make the online experience better than the PS3. I think that was everyone's assumption.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psn has been good outside of lizard squad attacks since i've had it (sept '14)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Pay day 2?! loving sick

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally got around to starting Valiant Hearts. It is good.

Also it's war fiction that has almost nothing to do with shooting or being shot at. My favorite.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lol Borderlands remaster comes out same day as Bloodborne. Whoops.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally got around to starting Valiant Hearts. It is good.

Also it's war fiction that has almost nothing to do with shooting or being shot at. My favorite.

I felt it was a little incongruous to be playing as American Military Badass and my only weapon is my fists, but whatever. Fun puzzles and the art style is neat and hey I even learned a few things about WW1.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

I've never played the Borderlands games but I've been wanting to check them out, but I saw that this one only includes The Pre Sequel and 2. Why isn't the first one in this? Will I be fine playing this having never played the first one?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Borderlands is garbage

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've never played the Borderlands games but I've been wanting to check them out, but I saw that this one only includes The Pre Sequel and 2. Why isn't the first one in this? Will I be fine playing this having never played the first one?

You won't be missing anything important story wise. Borderlands 2 is one of those games where people say it sucks even though they've spent hundreds of hours playing.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Pre-sequel and 2 are probably on the same engine and porting 1 over is not worth it because 1 is really loving boring. Going straight to 2 is fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play Borderlands if you have friends to join you.

Play Bloodborne if you have no friends?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Borderlands is real fun. If you played Destiny and felt like you wanted way more out of that game, then Borderlands 2 is the game you should be playing.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
play bloodborne if you're smart, cool, handsome etc, play borderlands if you want to kiss someone else's young son

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Feenix posted:

Dark Souls 2 has sold a little over 3 million worldwide on all platforms while Borderlands 2 clocks in over 8 million on all platforms. Borderlands is definitely the bigger franchise (though not necessarily the better) I don't think a remaster of BL2 is even aimed at the same audience as Bloodborne.

Ruddha posted:

play bloodborne if you're smart, cool, handsome etc, play borderlands if you want to kiss someone else's young son

Exactly, different demographics.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
So for those of us who have never played the Dark Souls games, when are the Bloodborne reviews going to come in so I can decide if I'm going to purchase it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I said come in! posted:

Borderlands is real fun. If you played Destiny and felt like you wanted way more out of that game, then Borderlands 2 is the game you should be playing.
Rad, that's exactly how I felt about Destiny.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

So for those of us who have never played the Dark Souls games, when are the Bloodborne reviews going to come in so I can decide if I'm going to purchase it?

Here's a little preview of the reviews

94 on Metacritic

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I'm glad someone brought up The Order in the last page, because I really wanted to post some thought about how it really seems like an unfinished game that was shipped anyway. I don't mean in terms of polish: the graphics are mostly slick and the animations are very detailed, but jokes about the ending aside it feels like large sections of the game were rushed out to meet a deadline.

I kept noticing things like this:
-Two player story mode?: they must have planned this at one point, maybe early on when they just started building levels, but Galahad is never alone in the campaign for more than 5 minutes and even then there are notable characters in the area doing what sounds like would be a co-op player objective ("Galahad, you clear that wing and I'll scout the next room!" "Galahad, you take out these guys I'll snipe from the roof!" etc. etc.) for these sort of games. Beyond that, every character Galahad teams up with has an identical "load out" on their backs, including (I guess I'll spoil this, why not) the Indian woman who leads the rebels, including a uniquely modeled knife that I have never seen her actually use, so you can't dismiss it as showing a unity in how the Order equips their guys.

-Upgrading weapons?: the way they take the time to introduce Tesla and have his lab have things to interact only to not have you go back to it unless you want to count the final "boss" of the game being set in it but not looking anything like it was seems like they meant to at least have it be a place you could visit many times between chapters or something. All that amounts to is Tesla later handing you a rifle with a scope in a cutscene; it's a lot of modeling and programming effort for such little payoff. Plus, there are early interviews where they refer to him as the Q of the Order and talk about how they wanted some Last of Us style mechanics (presumably things like work benches in that game.)

-Incomplete levels?: there are very few places in the game that feel non-fractured or like a complete level. There are some that do feel complete, like the mental hospital, the White Chapel shooting part, and some of the airship, but everything else feels like it was assembled from what they had time to build. From the section where you catch up to the prologue to the end feels like it was basically "oh poo poo oh poo poo cram everything together that we can to make that February release date," so you get copy and pasted corridors and the final boss being identical to something you did earlier. The last time I saw a climax this cobbled together was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, where we know for a fact that game was rushed out after a troubled production cycle. Like, the end of the game is invading the figurehead fort of your former friends, which in literally any other game would have you running through the previous locations you had used in a new way - like shooting your way in through the bridge they used in the earlier chapter, or building to a confrontation in the Order meeting chamber that you see a lot of, or Tesla's lab not being a copy/paste of the mental hospital werewolf fight down to some level design but none of these locations ever get seen again.

This isn't just a To Be Continued Buy Our Next Game, this is one that had its legs chopped off. There are even earlier locations where an entire chapter is dedicated to something like 90 seconds of events, like the airship crash "escape," which interestingly enough provides you with a pistol and a unique holding animation for it, but no enemies. That strikes me as a section like in Max Payne 3 where you'd be hurt and under-armed, fight off a few guys, then collapse. There's assets like the cool crossbow that you get a dozen or so shots for and never appears again. I think the Victorian Rocket Launcher shows up in the bridge level and then maybe once more, but you never have a reason to use it in any meaningful way, like say an armored boss, which is basically included in every game with a rocket launcher known to man - from Resident Evil 1 to the Call of Duty games where you need to take out a helicopter or tank. More than that, it seems easy to say that the game ends at the 80% mark of what a normal game based around these events would be [spoiler]there's no confrontation with the vampire lord behind everything, his plan is never elaborated on, and it's not like in another game or movie where you kill a main henchman before going after the guy in the shadows.[spoiler]

This feels more like if Resident Evil 4 ended at the castle gates and was like BUY OUR NEXT GAME TO FIGHT LORD SADDLER AND FREE ASHLEY. I could probably think of more to say, but to sum it up The Order is very strange in that it continuously violates player expectations in gameplay and story for no apparent reason.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Bloodborne is preloading in PSN US, for those who missed it. No dice on EU goons, guess we'll be a day late on that as well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's my review: "woah".

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'm torn on if I should pre-order Bloodborne on Amazon or PSN. I love having physical copies, but having it at 12am and not having to wait for midday for an Amazon delivery is tempting. I doubt Wal-Mart will have a midnight pickup (there isn't anything else in my area unfortunately).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Honestly if you've got a decent PC or PS3 I'd highly recommend trying Dark Souls 1 or 2 out first. The series is extremely "love it or hate it."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rad, that's exactly how I felt about Destiny.

Borderlands 2 has thousands of weapons, no pointless grinding to gain any of them, and a gameworld that dwarfs Destiny's. Borderlands 2 with all of the DLC, is MMORPG sized.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Watrick posted:

I'm torn on if I should pre-order Bloodborne on Amazon or PSN. I love having physical copies, but having it at 12am and not having to wait for midday for an Amazon delivery is tempting. I doubt Wal-Mart will have a midnight pickup (there isn't anything else in my area unfortunately).

I went with Amazon because I'm old and have toddlers and a normal job, so don't really want to stay up late to play, plus, I really want the steelbook. If I was younger and childless, I'm crazy enough to maybe buy both. So let me live vicariously through you, buy both.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Borderlands 2 has thousands of weapons, no pointless grinding to gain any of them, and a gameworld that dwarfs Destiny's. Borderlands 2 with all of the DLC, is MMORPG sized.

Borderlands 2 is good, but pointless grinding is very much necessary to get the best weapons, which are themselves necessary if you want to do the higher difficulty playthroughs (if you're not doing ng/TVHM it's not that big of a deal, tho).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Genocyber posted:

Borderlands 2 is good, but pointless grinding is very much necessary to get the best weapons, which are themselves necessary if you want to do the higher difficulty playthroughs (if you're not doing ng/TVHM it's not that big of a deal, tho).

Not to the extent of Destiny's grinding though. Borderland 2's is totally reasonable and you're not brick walled out of content if you can't get other players together.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bought Bloodborne on Amazon because I too wanted the steel book. Kinda picky over which games I want physically this gen because I'm going mostly digital.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How far in advance of release does PSN usually charge for pre-orders?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

poptart_fairy posted:

How far in advance of release does PSN usually charge for pre-orders?

The second you preorder it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Underwhelmed posted:

Dark Souls 2 has sold a little over 3 million worldwide on all platforms while Borderlands 2 clocks in over 8 million on all platforms. Borderlands is definitely the bigger franchise (though not necessarily the better) I don't think a remaster of BL2 is even aimed at the same audience as Bloodborne.

Exactly, different demographics.

It's still going to get overshadowed in terms of coverage. It's a re-release of a game from last gen. All the game sites are wetting their pants over BloodBorne. The big banner articles will be about Bloodborne. Borderlands should have changed their date. It would have made sense.
Also... guys... GUYS.

ALL THE BLOODBORNE BYTES ARE ON MY PS4!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

timeandtide posted:

I'm glad someone brought up The Order in the last page, because I really wanted to post some thought about how it really seems like an unfinished game that was shipped anyway. I don't mean in terms of polish: the graphics are mostly slick and the animations are very detailed, but jokes about the ending aside it feels like large sections of the game were rushed out to meet a deadline.

Wasn't it already delayed? Feels like RaD just bit off more than they could chew, which combined with the base idea being very ordinary means the game disappointed.

This is why I'm relaxed about the mediocre specs of the current consoles. Games look great anyway, and the marginal benefit/marginal cost ratio for graphics is getting pretty lopsided.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I feel sorry for Scholar of the First Sin getting released so close to Bloodborne. Feels like a passive-aggressive inter-team spat.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The second you preorder it.

I preordered Bloodborne a week ago but haven't been charged.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

poptart_fairy posted:

You're not getting it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

poptart_fairy posted:

Are you in a different region? NA pre-orders get charged when you pre-order.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

People outside of NA get cool perks like being able to cancel preorders and not get charged until release day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I feel sorry for Scholar of the First Sin getting released so close to Bloodborne. Feels like a passive-aggressive inter-team spat.

I imagine it's to soak up sales from people who aren't getting BB.

quote:

In NA you're charged immediately with no refunds. You're lucky you're in the EU.

• Locked thread