Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Uuuuuuuh excuse me fellas but I can't help but notice that The Pit isn't on here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Uuuuuuuh excuse me fellas but I can't help but notice that The Pit isn't on here...

There's another set of 32 to go as part of the round of 64.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Refueling Base, I usually hate Tom Hall levels but sometimes the really non-linear design where you can miss most of the level if you want can work. Definitely good for speedrunners.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Is it a bad thing that I think that Smooth/Beautiful Doom is awful looking?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Not at all. I think they're both ugly and totally unnecessary.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is it bad that I'm not familiar with any of the map names outside of Barrels of Fun? :ohdear:

I really want to vote on the levels, but it's been years since I played them all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, the form links videos of them on UV Max.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dis astranagant posted:

Well, the form links videos of them on UV Max.

Therefore, I will vote.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's a bit of an esoteric FPS, but Magic Carpet is really fun. I mean, levels take like 20-60 minutes, so it requires a fair bit of patience, and the controls take a lot of getting used to, but it's oddly satisfying blowing things up with fireballs and then claiming all their dropped mana as your own.

The PS1 version is like $1 right now on PSN. I definitely recommend it.

dis astranagant posted:

There was even a time where there where about a hundred different mouse but oriented stupid pointing devices on the market. You didn't really see much standardization til Windows 95.

Just look at this thing. You move the pointer using your thumb on the ball.
Yeah, count me as another weirdo who used trackball mice for the longest time. At least up until TF2 was a thing, anyway!

Allegedly you can aim better with a traditional mouse than a trackball, but it served me just fine for the longest time. I actually only stopped using them because the mouse wheels kept breaking, and haven't gone back because I can get so many more buttons on the non-trackwheel mice holy crap

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

laserghost posted:

I voted for Citadel instead of The Refueling Base. May God have mercy upon my soul.

The Citadel is a really strong level, though, and Refueling Base is barely mediocre. It's an easy choice.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Woolie Wool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkQriu-s250
I originally planned to roll the changes made to the tech demo since 1.2 into a single release with Eisenfaust Unleashed but I'm probably going to release a tech demo 1.3 instead of waiting to finish all 24 Eisenfaust Unleashed maps. Compare this to Bashe's video from a few pages back and you can see that it's made huge advances in polish and presentation since 2012.

Wanted to chime in and say this is lookin' good.

I played an ECWolf thing that had the option to turn off the wall hit + use button noise, any chance of having that available? And what's this Eisenfaust Unleashed?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm not really sure if it counts as an FPS, but are there any games out there that are like Colony Wars on the PSX?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Freespace and Descent? Wing Commander?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's a Wing Commander 4 port on 4 CDs but I don't think it was very good.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
The racist stain of Brutal Doom is now reaching out to Half-Life.

Apparently Sgt Mark IV has given up on releasing v20 of Brutal Doom.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

More Half-Life than Half-Life!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Sounds loving awesome.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

And in other news....we just released episode two of the AMC TC. It's considerably more polished than the first release and is HUGE, so if you're looking for something new to play well there it is. Chinese Tony Danza did some amazing voice work for the TC as well. I don't want to pimp out my own stuff too much since I feel it's kind of looked down upon but we spent ages on this and a few people here enjoyed it so I thought I'd share the news here.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Jblade posted:

And in other news....we just released episode two of the AMC TC. It's considerably more polished than the first release and is HUGE, so if you're looking for something new to play well there it is. Chinese Tony Danza did some amazing voice work for the TC as well. I don't want to pimp out my own stuff too much since I feel it's kind of looked down upon but we spent ages on this and a few people here enjoyed it so I thought I'd share the news here.

I'm downloading it now. :cool:

I haven't played episode 1, but since it is also included, I can also play that. I will review this eventually.

edit: It seems way too easy to instakill yourself by opening doors...

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 23, 2015

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It's been a loooooong time since I played AMC, but episode 1 certainly feels different. Is there any chance of a full change-log, or is it just 'Everything has changed forever'?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Wow, this means I have something to play until getting funds for Outlaws and Strife re-release. Already played the intro level and first mission, this is going to be GOOD.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can anyone do a trip report on GOG's release of Outlaws? Regarding resolution and maybe a custom launcher.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Jakcson posted:

The racist stain of Brutal Doom is now reaching out to Half-Life.

Apparently Sgt Mark IV has given up on releasing v20 of Brutal Doom.

Not true, he's been releasing test builds relatively often on 4chan's /vr/ Doom threads.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Can anyone do a trip report on GOG's release of Outlaws? Regarding resolution and maybe a custom launcher.
It's the original game with an nGlide wrapper over the 3DFX stuff. You can set an ingame resolution using the nGlide settings application in the install folder, but menus and FMV are always... 800x600, I believe, so I hope your monitor setup handles resolution-switching gracefully.

You'll also want to dip into olcfg.exe as a number of minor but much-appeciated visual details (like more than four angles on enemy sprites, full resolution textures etc.) are disabled by default in order to ease the stress on the Hercules Stingray 128/3D that the game assumes you're using. :v: You can also disable smoothing in this menu, if you just lurve dem pixels.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 23, 2015

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

It's the original game with an nGlide wrapper over the 3DFX stuff. You can set an ingame resolution using the nGlide settings application in the install folder, but menus and FMV are always... 800x600, I believe, so I hope your monitor setup handles resolution-switching gracefully.

You'll also want to dip into olcfg.exe as a number of minor but much-appeciated visual details (like more than four angles on enemy sprites, full resolution textures etc.) are disabled by default in order to ease the stress on the Hercules Stingray 128/3D that the game assumes you're using. :v: You can also disable smoothing in this menu, if you just lurve dem pixels.

Make sure to run olcfg as admin and set the settings there. I had to do that on my Win 8.1 machine for it to keep any of them.

As for launchers, there's an old utility called olman.exe that lets you run custom levels, but I've yet to get it working with the GOG release.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Sometimes I wonder how feasible it is to take GOG installs of games and migrate them to a machine using the actual hardware - and whether or not they'd even work after doing so.

Of course, I'd need actual hardware first.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Sometimes I wonder how feasible it is to take GOG installs of games and migrate them to a machine using the actual hardware - and whether or not they'd even work after doing so.

Unfortunately, in some cases, the games won't always look better.

Playing Doom on "original hardware" would almost certainly look worse than gzdoom (or chocolate doom) on "modern hardware", for example.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, I mean, of course they wouldn't look better; that wasn't really the point of the exercise (which is basically nothing more than "can it be done? Would it even work?"). Games that have adequate source ports like Doom and Quake are pretty much better all-around on modern hardware (which is kind of funny to consider, but such is the world we live in). I was thinking more obscure titles that didn't get source ports and such.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
Well, I'm starting on the first episode of AMC Team... and despite the obviously old school graphics, it already seems like a better game than Duke Nukem Forever. And I didn't even get past the intro.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

They should work just fine, GOG only does the minimum permanent editing to the games to get them to run, all the enhancements they do are through wrappers or external/alternate launchers.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't know about migrating installs, but I can tell you from experience that GOG installers will not work on anything older than XP. Tried installing Carmageddon 2 on my Windows 98 laptop a while back and it just kept complaining loudly that it wasn't meant for this version of Windows. Pretty funny considering a great deal of GOG games predate XP...

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
One problem I do have with the new Outlaws release is when the screen tints from getting hit, it doesn't fade out or anything and just stays red for the rest of the level. Dunno why.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Outlaws stuff.

Cool thanks. My monitor doesn't die when it switches resolutions and handles fuckery like Deus Ex IW, so I guess It'll be fine.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Does GOG's Outlaws cycle through all of the songs on the cd every level or not? I was never sure if it was an issue with how I got it running on a modern machine or an intentional feature. A feature intentionally made to upset the mood of each stage.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, I mean, of course they wouldn't look better; that wasn't really the point of the exercise (which is basically nothing more than "can it be done? Would it even work?"). Games that have adequate source ports like Doom and Quake are pretty much better all-around on modern hardware (which is kind of funny to consider, but such is the world we live in). I was thinking more obscure titles that didn't get source ports and such.

All of the ones that use DOSBox work just fine on older computers with DOS, most of them even work fine in Win9x DOS mode. Well, assuming the computer you put them on has the right minimum specs. :v:

It gets trickier for games built for Windows originally, some of them are just the plain original executable with maybe a CD check patched out, and as such work just fine if you extract the data from the GOG installer on Win9x. Others of them have patching done so heavily that they won't run properly on Win9x at all.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jblade posted:

IMO, unless you register just to pimp your stuff and then leave right away, it's totally cool to share it. We'd have to ignore so many sweet mods if Goons couldn't show off their poo poo in this thread.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I didn't realise that Raven was 25 years old. Singularity is a great game, I think, highly underrated, I hope this means that they're being saved from doing nothing but Call of Duty map packs.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

I didn't realise that Raven was 25 years old. Singularity is a great game, I think, highly underrated, I hope this means that they're being saved from doing nothing but Call of Duty map packs.

Edit: Oh I don't know how to read twitter, maybe they are making a Singularity 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

catlord posted:

Surprised they've managed to last so long as that one company id farms stuff out to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They've made great games. Not only Heretic, Hexen (well this one is more up to taste), also Soldier of Fortune (the good ones anyways) or Star Treck elite force, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Wolfenstein 2009, Quake 4, Jedi Outcast and Academy... and some others. There are studios with better reputation with worse games.