Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

FFX's combat is really less brute-force than pretty much any other FF. The way they incorporated different enemy strengths and weaknesses (Armored enemies, flying, magic resistant, elemental resistances) on top of being able to swap party members on the fly really makes even trash mobs a lot more involved, at least early on. FFX also gets props for having a Steal command that actually does something neat by dismantling tech enemies.

meh

i like a lot of ffx's mechanics but random encounters are for most of the game just matching enemy weaknesses to the party member that hits this weakness, without any thought required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Remake all FF games, give them Brave and Default.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cake Attack posted:

meh

i like a lot of ffx's mechanics but random encounters are for most of the game just matching enemy weaknesses to the party member that hits this weakness, without any thought required

I mean yeah, it's still not a complex system or anything, but it's pretty far ahead of the random encounters in most other FFs. I like the fact that it at least forces you to use other characters once in a while. I mean I've literally beaten VII and VIII using nothing but regular attacks and limit breaks, because they are just faster / more powerful than everything else. The early FFs are like that too; I think the only spell I ever had to use in FFII was Toad, and that was just to speed up boss battles. Nothing else even came close to just hitting "Attack." FFX is pretty much the only FF where its actually worth using summons and magic on some enemies. That probably changes when your party is overpowered as hell and everyone is overkilling with their basic attacks, but at that point who gives a poo poo, you're not going to get a decent combat system no matter what.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Terper posted:

Remake all FF games, give them Brave and Default.

Well, today I learned what I would want future FF remakes to be. Which ones haven't they done yet? 7,8 and 9 would be cool with that battle system. Would be better if they also kept their mechanic quirks outside of battle. A mix of 9 and BD mechanics would be nice for 9, I liked the whole abilities from equipment thing.

e: but no voice acting please. IX has the best Moogles in the series and they wouldn't be able to resist Fabula Nova Crystalising them

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm still waiting for proper 5 and 6 remakes. FF4 DS was awesome

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bravely Default has really good, tight combat mechanics but I'm not sure I'd want them in every FF game; they're pretty involved and require much more systems mastery than any of the actual mainline titles and if you just want to chill, have a cool fantasy adventure and take in the scenery getting your dick stamped on late-game because you're not maximising your bullshit wouldn't be cool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bravely Default has No Encounters and difficulty settings on the fly, it's entirely your choice on having a chill adventure

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Okay, so guys
Yeah
What if
Yeah
What if we make the Defend option... good?
Wtf

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tae posted:

Bravely Default has No Encounters and difficulty settings on the fly, it's entirely your choice on having a chill adventure

I'd forgotten there was an easy mode actually. Okay yeah that could work, 9 especially has such a trash battle system it really brings what is still the best title in the series down a little

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'd forgotten there was an easy mode actually. Okay yeah that could work, 9 especially has such a trash battle system it really brings what is still the best title in the series down a little

This is a good opinion.

FFIX's biggest problem is that the combat is just so drat slow. Everything from the actual intro to the battle to the fighting itself is just twice as long as it needs to be.

Dream FFIX remake:

Redo the battle system
Keep the same art style
No VA
Ditch / redo the poo poo minigames

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

McDragon posted:

Well, today I learned what I would want future FF remakes to be. Which ones haven't they done yet? 7,8 and 9 would be cool with that battle system. Would be better if they also kept their mechanic quirks outside of battle. A mix of 9 and BD mechanics would be nice for 9, I liked the whole abilities from equipment thing.

e: but no voice acting please. IX has the best Moogles in the series and they wouldn't be able to resist Fabula Nova Crystalising them

They need to do 9 and 12 so they can actually have their chance to shine as opposed to being on the tail end of their respective console's lifespans and ignored for whatever reasons.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Man, I'm getting ready to put Type-0 on the shelf. I'm using Jack and it's just not a challenge, at all. The story is mostly uninteresting and battles are over far too fast. Granted I'm only on Chapter 3 but I kinda thought it would have picked up by now. The time mechanic seems tedious, too, and new equipment seems more or less to have no effect on my characters. It's really a shame because I love action RPGs.

Should I wait a little longer, or is it really not gonna get any more better/interesting?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chapter 3 is the last calm in the storm. The next chapter kicks off the war.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

mune posted:

Man, I'm getting ready to put Type-0 on the shelf. I'm using Jack and it's just not a challenge, at all. The story is mostly uninteresting and battles are over far too fast. Granted I'm only on Chapter 3 but I kinda thought it would have picked up by now. The time mechanic seems tedious, too, and new equipment seems more or less to have no effect on my characters. It's really a shame because I love action RPGs.

Should I wait a little longer, or is it really not gonna get any more better/interesting?

I'd play into Chapter 4 at least. Stuff happens.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My biggest complaint with IX besides the battles being slooooow, is the "learning abilities" mechanic. It seems like pretty much every game that uses it makes AP far too scarce for the amount it takes to actually learn them. Pretty much every single enemy in the game drops single digit AP. I'm not sure if any drop more than that, but that poo poo only flies with the ones that cost 30-45 to learn. Even equipping multiple items that teach an ability, the three digit cost ones take forever with the slow rear end battles.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My biggest complaint with IX besides the battles being slooooow, is the "learning abilities" mechanic. It seems like pretty much every game that uses it makes AP far too scarce for the amount it takes to actually learn them. Pretty much every single enemy in the game drops single digit AP. I'm not sure if any drop more than that, but that poo poo only flies with the ones that cost 30-45 to learn. Even equipping multiple items that teach an ability, the three digit cost ones take forever with the slow rear end battles.

EDIT: Ignore me, I am incapable of reading.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 22, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That's one thing I never had a problem with, just get the XP and AP bonus abilities when they turn up and you can learn things at a steady rate for most of the game

This is a good opinion.

FFIX's biggest problem is that the combat is just so drat slow. Everything from the actual intro to the battle to the fighting itself is just twice as long as it needs to be.

Dream FFIX remake:

Redo the battle system
Keep the same art style
No VA
Ditch / redo the poo poo minigames

Yeah I'd be pretty happy with this. Shame there's like zero chance of it ever happening

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think it's just a combination of the battles feeling so slow, and the initial low amounts of AP before the bonuses, for me. It all comes together to feel like a slog, even if it really doesn't take that long in actual time. The beginning of the game seems to stretch on forever, with the mechanics, even if the story is better paced.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No it really does take that long, I tried to play IX recently and it was miserable.

9 and 12 both play best emulated right now.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Really though, the biggest disappointment in IX was that Tetra Master isn't nearly as good as Triple Triad.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I've played a ridiculous amount of FFIX and I still have no loving clue how that card game works. The FAQs for it are just as incomprehensible, and certain elements just seem to be purely luck-based. I dunno how you could even design a card game with mechanics so unintuitive.

edit: And the best part is that if you do care about that card game, the reward for perfect completion is a glitch.

FFIX is basically hell for perfectionists. Between that, the jump-rope game, and Excalibur II...
Seriously though, the guide for getting a "perfect" save with Excalibur II is probably the spergiest thing I've ever seen in my life. On top of knowing where basically every item in the game is and memorizing paths through every single zone, you have to do stuff like soft reset if you hit one too many random encounters in a bigass room. I'm pretty sure whoever made that guide / anyone who actually followed it has a legitimate mental illness.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 22, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I've played a ridiculous amount of FFIX and I still have no loving clue how that card game works. The FAQs for it are just as incomprehensible, and certain elements just seem to be purely luck-based. I dunno how you could even design a card game with mechanics so unintuitive.

Certain elements are purely luck-based. The number values on your cards are re-rolled at random, so you can never be sure if your card will trump an adjacent one even if its stats are better in every respect.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Certain elements are purely luck-based. The number values on your cards are re-rolled at random, so you can never be sure if your card will trump an adjacent one even if its stats are better in every respect.

Good god.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, Tetra Master is just not very good, and knowing the mechanics can only help you but so much. At least with Triple Triad you had some control over the seemingly random spread of rules. Namely in that it's not random at all, aside from just the chance that someone in a region will play with the rule you're trying to spread. Once you know the way it works, it's easy. Tetra Master, randomness is baked into the game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Also, Tetra Master doesn't really help one break the game over their knee in the same way that Triple Triad does. You can't turn your collection of summon cards in FFIX into items that make you invincible, give you Aura, or heal everyone to max HP.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Also, Tetra Master doesn't really help one break the game over their knee in the same way that Triple Triad does. You can't turn your collection of summon cards in FFIX into items that make you invincible, give you Aura, or heal everyone to max HP.

and IX is a better game for it. I like the ability to do that in VIII, but if you're "breaking" IX in any way other than doing all the Chocographs as soon as you can to get boss equipment, you're playing it wrong and I hate you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

edit: And the best part is that if you do care about that card game, the reward for perfect completion is a glitch.

FFIX is basically hell for perfectionists. Between that, the jump-rope game, and Excalibur II...
Seriously though, the guide for getting a "perfect" save with Excalibur II is probably the spergiest thing I've ever seen in my life. On top of knowing where basically every item in the game is and memorizing paths through every single zone, you have to do stuff like soft reset if you hit one too many random encounters in a bigass room. I'm pretty sure whoever made that guide / anyone who actually followed it has a legitimate mental illness.

It's literally impossible to get Excalibur II in the PAL version because everything runs too slow but the timer works in actual time or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like how an important strategy is to open the disc drive during cutscenes to skip them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Luckily the terrible minigames in IX have no real benefit to the player (aside from winning the card tournament, which you can win through save scumming at the very least). Jump Rope, Hippaul Racing, and the Cards are just wastes of time, but they're pretty out of the way and inoffensive. At least the main minigame, Chocobo Hot & Cold, is excellent.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Jump rope filled me with SO MUCH rage. I knew it was worthless. But for some reason I just had to do it. And I was never able to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evidently you can get a character to level 99 in Type-0 in like 20 minutes by exploiting the dude in the arena who will level characters while you aren't playing. Just set someone to train and move your console clock forward :laffo:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like the combat systems in Type zero. they're fun and fast.

I don't like the game structure with the time limits, the confusing and sometimes painful side quests and better yet the elite missions.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yo how do I start the expert trial missions in Type-0? I accepted one but going to the world map doesn't start the strategy game or anything.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's literally impossible to get Excalibur II in the PAL version because everything runs too slow but the timer works in actual time or something.

IIRC some :spergin: discovered it is barely possible to do on a PAL system.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Excalibur II is just....the dumbest thing. "We made this game, with all this stuff to do and see! But gently caress you! If you want this character's ultimate weapon, speed through it and do absolutely nothing that isn't required!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm really enjoying FFX more than I thought I would. Terrible VAs aside, it's such a nice looking game, and I think it's legitimately the only FF that I could say has any "difficulty" if you aren't looking at a guide. The fight with Seymour on Gagazet is a goddamn ballbuster if you didn't go out of your way to grind levels / spend a bunch of gil customize gear in advance. Probably the hardest storyline boss of any FF, at least that I can recall.

I felt like FFX had the best art direction and visual consistency out of any Final Fantasy, like "this is an actual world where some thought has been put into its people and history" over "this is just a hodgepodge of various RPG tropes thrown together," even though it's got plenty of those going on, too. The combat was really smooth and intuitive, though also difficult in some places if you didn't have the right approach. The voice acting is heinously bad of course but when I was seventeen I was just blown away that a game as huge as FFX even had fully voiced characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Excalibur II is just....the dumbest thing. "We made this game, with all this stuff to do and see! But gently caress you! If you want this character's ultimate weapon, speed through it and do absolutely nothing that isn't required!"

Considering that it basically needs you to glitch out the game in order to obtain it I'm not entirely sure it was anything more than some programmers idea of a joke.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Considering that it basically needs you to glitch out the game in order to obtain it I'm not entirely sure it was anything more than some programmers idea of a joke.

It's entirely possible on the US version, without abusing glitches. You just have to pretty much not do anything unrequired, or be a complete sperglord if you want a 'perfect' save. There are legit speedruns that take less than 12 hours.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If you have like a year to kill I think you can leave the game on until the timer resets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Death, kupo!