Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TVarmy posted:

Is there anything particularly wrong about hooking up Arduino to the Raspberry Pi via USB and using that serial interface? While it might not be as low level as switching GPIO pins or using the serial pins, you wouldn't need to worry about level shifting. Looking around, the Arduino itself doesn't use much power at all (about 50 ma at worst), so I don't see it as a power supply issue.

I'm not sure what you mean, do you just mean hijacking the USB to serial chip on the Arduino board? That would be more expensive than getting a USB to RS232 adapter (which is already above the desired price point) while still not solving the logic level issues (you'd be going from 3.3V logic to 5V logic but still wouldn't be suitable for RS232).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I've done it. I dunno about "wrong" but I've done it for a demo where I'd already used the Pi's serial interface for something and needed another I2C, just wrote a quick sketch to send something up the serial. It showed up as /dev/ttyACM0, which was great because FTDI's showed up as /dev/ttyUSB0.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I can't see anything super wrong with it either, I'd say go for it if it works better for your needs.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Gaz2k21 posted:

... would I be better off getting a crossover network cable between the Pi and my main computer or just unplugging the hard drive and and connecting it to the main computer when i need to transfer files?
The latter - all the pi's usb ports, it's network port and it's sdcard slot all share one USB2 bus. If you don't need the files in a timely manner (eg: you are just playing some videos) it will work, but otherwise you want to plug that drive into your PC.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I want to build a small NFC reader that connects to a server and displays information dependent on the NFC-tag used. I'm thinking of using a MySQL databank with a php-site to edit existing and create new data on a regular computer, and a site using javascript and HTML5 displaying the information on the Raspberry. How can I send the information read from the NFC reader to the site?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

horriblePencilist posted:

I want to build a small NFC reader that connects to a server and displays information dependent on the NFC-tag used. I'm thinking of using a MySQL databank with a php-site to edit existing and create new data on a regular computer, and a site using javascript and HTML5 displaying the information on the Raspberry. How can I send the information read from the NFC reader to the site?

So is your idea to just have the Pi read the NFC and then upload the data to a more traditional server? I don't know much about NFC, but in this adafruit example, the data is read over UART. You could have a python or bash script read and interpret that data, and then just send a request to your server.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Put together this 3x rpi2 and 1x rpiB cluster. Master has a mini ssd thing and will have to connect to the main network with wifi. Its all powered (including the network switch) with the anker charger on the bottom (which has a 2.4A max power port or 12A total over 6 ports)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Where did you get your standoffs from? I bought a bunch of M3 standoffs only to find out the Pi uses M2.5 :argh: Sorely tempted to go buy a 3mm drill bit and fix this gross injustice.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
they came with the from-etsy case

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fuzz1111 posted:

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for that, they recently closed the android thread on the official forums "due to the repetitive questions on this forum taking up valuable moderator time with little or no benefit to the community". There is no proper android video driver and there probably never will be - android needs a video accelerated UI and you don't really get that even in linux (hence no unity in the ubuntu image for raspberry pi 2).

The Rpi community is really great, the leadership is really awful. This is not the first time I've seen this kind of behavior.

mod sassinator posted:

Be careful, the Pi doesn't really make a good file server. The disk performance is super slow because it goes over the USB 2.0 bus, and it can't supply a ton of power to USB devices so you'll need an external power supply for the USB device (or a powered hub). It's better for running a little Linux server to mess around with, learn programming, etc. If you're trying to serve files for computers on your network you'll probably be pretty annoyed with it.

Yup, agreed. I personally moved to a combination of a Kabini fileserver for Samba and my library mangers, and a Zbox BI320 with a Haswell Celeron 2957U for a TV PC. For that kind of stuff you can get some pretty big performance jumps by moving to low-power desktop hardware, and it doesn't even really use much more power. My BI320 idles at 5W and peaks at 15W.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 22, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Rpi community is really great, the leadership is really awful. This is not the first time I've seen this kind of behavior.

Yeah the way they handled it just means those posts are going to end up in other forums. The best way to handle it would be to make a detailed post as to why an Android port is improbable under the current circumstances.

The ideal solution would be to find a mega nerd who works in the driver business that is in between job and kickstart some funds to get him to work on it for a year or two. But instead we kickstart 50 grand towards aluminium cases and poo poo.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm curious, what do people expect to do with an Android port on the Pi? It won't have Google's apps like their store so I guess you'd just sideload your own Android apps onto it? Why would it be better than Raspbian?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

I'm curious, what do people expect to do with an Android port on the Pi? It won't have Google's apps like their store so I guess you'd just sideload your own Android apps onto it? Why would it be better than Raspbian?

It's piss-easy to load the Play store and the core google applications on any Android environment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think Google drastically reduced their requirements a while ago. The $49 A20 powered Android tablets from China now have google play store accessibility. I think it opened up after 4.0.1 was released, or thereabouts.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I'm a normal IT guy with zero electronics experience but a few raspberry pi powered projects in mind. I have my first pi, and have created a very basic proof of concept for my first project. It's very basic though, and I need to do some more experimentation. I know that at this point I really want a cheap rear end variety pack of resistors, relays, and leds for testing. Unfortunately, googling that phrase wasn't necessarily helpful and I don't want to order a bunch of individual parts when I know someone else probably sells a starter kit that is exactly what I am looking for. Can someone point to such a starter kit?

I want to make sure I am clear, I don't need a Pi or Arduino, I don't think I want a breadboard at this point, and I don't need all kinds of weird poo poo, just the basics. I have a soldering iron, plenty of wire, and general knowledge of what I need to do to accomplish my EXTREMELY basic projects. I just don't have all the components and don't want to try to piece everything together myself at this point, because I know I'll buy what I think I need then discover I needed a different resistor or something.

edit: bonus points if it has two magnet switches in the kit

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

adorai posted:

I'm a normal IT guy with zero electronics experience but a few raspberry pi powered projects in mind. I have my first pi, and have created a very basic proof of concept for my first project. It's very basic though, and I need to do some more experimentation. I know that at this point I really want a cheap rear end variety pack of resistors, relays, and leds for testing. Unfortunately, googling that phrase wasn't necessarily helpful and I don't want to order a bunch of individual parts when I know someone else probably sells a starter kit that is exactly what I am looking for. Can someone point to such a starter kit?

I want to make sure I am clear, I don't need a Pi or Arduino, I don't think I want a breadboard at this point, and I don't need all kinds of weird poo poo, just the basics. I have a soldering iron, plenty of wire, and general knowledge of what I need to do to accomplish my EXTREMELY basic projects. I just don't have all the components and don't want to try to piece everything together myself at this point, because I know I'll buy what I think I need then discover I needed a different resistor or something.

edit: bonus points if it has two magnet switches in the kit

On ebay just use [component] kit.

For example: first result for "resistor kit" - http://www.ebay.com/itm/600Pcs-30-V...=item3f3c83d00c

You can find similar kits for capacitors, transistors, and diodes.

Note that the link above is shipping from China, so expect to wait 2-12 weeks. If you need it faster, pay more for listings that are shipping from the US or whatever country you are in.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

adorai posted:

How about something like http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/ARDX-The-starter-kit-for-Arduino-p-1153.html

That said, you're undoubtedly getting ripped off for some $0.05 per piece parts. If you look up a list yourself, you can order them yourself much cheaper. Or, look up some plans for a couple projects you want to do, put together a bill of materials, then put in a Mouser or Digikey order. You can also try eBay.

There's tons of stuff that's sold out of China, or you can filter to US sellers only to get items much quicker. You'll probably be getting 10-100x as many resistors/transistors/whatever for the same price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

YouTuber posted:

Yeah the way they handled it just means those posts are going to end up in other forums. The best way to handle it would be to make a detailed post as to why an Android port is improbable under the current circumstances.

The ideal solution would be to find a mega nerd who works in the driver business that is in between job and kickstart some funds to get him to work on it for a year or two. But instead we kickstart 50 grand towards aluminium cases and poo poo.

I'm still butthurt over their hyperbolic response to people noticing that their USB driver was broken. If you tried to run it in High Speed mode it would start dropping packets - which virtually cripples a device that uses USB as a system bus. Their moderators were locking threads and banning people who pointed this out in forums, responding with "well we never said the USB would be compatible with ALL devices..." and "our kernel team is one guy who codes in his spare time!" style excuses, etc.

Their selling point over random Chinese garbage was supposed to be support, and they failed hard on that. If I wanted support to consist of one guy hacking in his basement then I can choose from a huge variety of hardware. My Pis were useless for the purposes I intended, I ended up selling them and replacing them with things like Bus Pirates and low-power x86 machines and I haven't looked back.

The ideal solution is that if you want an Android mini PC you go buy one on GeekBuying or Amazon. I got a quad-core RK3188 Android stick for like $60 two years ago. Considering that it had onboard flash storage, that's the same as a Pi cost, and spec-wise it's equal to a Pi2.

It's not my job to kickstart people to write their device drivers for them, or to hack up an Android environment. If they can't afford to do it themselves then the commonly-accepted answer is to open their codebase and let the community do it themselves. The Pi Foundation insisted on sourcing their parts from Broadcom, who are well-known to be one of the least-open and least-supportive OEMs, and then when it came out broken they tried to play it off as a "hacker-friendly, some-assembly-required" device with closed-source drivers that were impossible to fix. They poo poo their own bed and burned all the goodwill I had toward them, and I'm really not surprised their mods are still shitlords.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 23, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mod sassinator posted:

Car Computers would be an excellent use in my mind. Android is conceived as a touchscreen environment and putting a touchscreen LCD in the dashboard would be great. Every Pi based car computer I've seen uses those handheld keyboards with a touchpad and aren't feasible to use while driving.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You know these RTL-SDR dongles that everyone's buying? Apparently they only have a maximum sample bandwidth of 3.2 MHz - how is that possible? If they are digital TV tuners in their past lives, that would require a bandwidth of up to 8MHz (in the UK, at least).

Is it just that in their SDR analysing mode they only can do 3.2 because its so system intensive, but for the singular use of TV stuff they support a higher bandwidth? Or am I missing something?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

thehustler posted:

You know these RTL-SDR dongles that everyone's buying? Apparently they only have a maximum sample bandwidth of 3.2 MHz - how is that possible? If they are digital TV tuners in their past lives, that would require a bandwidth of up to 8MHz (in the UK, at least).

Is it just that in their SDR analysing mode they only can do 3.2 because its so system intensive, but for the singular use of TV stuff they support a higher bandwidth? Or am I missing something?

Channel bandwidth in the Americas/Japan/Korea is 6 MHz, so yeah something's fishy if it will only do 3.2 MHz for arbitrary analyzing. Or maybe the guys selling them are just under-rating performance to cover their rear end.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

thehustler posted:

From what I understand the RTL2832U chip in those dongles operates in 2 main modes. DVB-T mode, and I/Q sample mode. In DVB-T mode the dongle does all the demodulation of the DVB-T signal on-board and presents a raw video stream down the USB interface. The I/Q sample mode, which is used by RTL-SDR, was purposely designed in by Realtek and intended to be used for FM and DAB audio broadcast reception. It is limited by design to around 3Mhz because they didn't need any more than that to perform those functions. The biggest of these signals is DAB, which is typically on 1.5Mhz channels.

The FM/DAB part of these dongles is in fact how RTL-SDR came to be: someone was sniffing USB packets coming from the dongle and realized when in FM/DAB mode the dongle was not presenting a demodulated data stream, it was instead sending raw I/Q samples and the included software was doing the demodulation. They figured out the commands to put the dongle into I/Q mode and control the separate tuner chip leaving us where we are today.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but Raspberry Pis are now available at Micro Center.. I picked up the quad core (labeled Raspberry Pi 2), an HDMI cable, a preloaded microSD card, anyone have any suggestions for a decent power supply before I just repurpose one of my old iPhoney dongles?

They also had starter kits that included power supplies, cases, and other knickknacks but none of the kits had anything later than a model B.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I picked up a Pi 2 at Micro Center just yesterday. They sell a 2A power adapter for something like $8. http://www.microcenter.com/product/441187/Micro-USB_Power_Supply_for_Raspberry_Pi_B_with_Built-in_4ft_Cable_-_2_Amp

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/pi-power/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

stevewm posted:

From what I understand the RTL2832U chip in those dongles operates in 2 main modes. DVB-T mode, and I/Q sample mode. In DVB-T mode the dongle does all the demodulation of the DVB-T signal on-board and presents a raw video stream down the USB interface. The I/Q sample mode, which is used by RTL-SDR, was purposely designed in by Realtek and intended to be used for FM and DAB audio broadcast reception. It is limited by design to around 3Mhz because they didn't need any more than that to perform those functions. The biggest of these signals is DAB, which is typically on 1.5Mhz channels.

The FM/DAB part of these dongles is in fact how RTL-SDR came to be: someone was sniffing USB packets coming from the dongle and realized when in FM/DAB mode the dongle was not presenting a demodulated data stream, it was instead sending raw I/Q samples and the included software was doing the demodulation. They figured out the commands to put the dongle into I/Q mode and control the separate tuner chip leaving us where we are today.

Exactly what I was after, thanks very much for this. I think I'll get one, maybe not the Pi yet but if I have the dongle then I have something cool to do with it when I get one.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
If you do I'd suggest getting one of the v.2 SDR dongles from Amazon, they work much better.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

uG posted:

Put together this 3x rpi2 and 1x rpiB cluster. Master has a mini ssd thing and will have to connect to the main network with wifi. Its all powered (including the network switch) with the anker charger on the bottom (which has a 2.4A max power port or 12A total over 6 ports)

Build a case for it out of lego.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Since we're waiting on Windows 10 to come out for the RPI2, has anyone heard of putting Windows RT on it since it's ARM? Is it even possible?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
No, you can't download Windows RT install media. Only hardware vendors who work with Microsoft have access to it, and given how even Microsoft is abandoning their Surface 2 RT device I doubt it's going to last much longer as something they support.

Also don't get your hopes up about 'Windows 10' on the Pi having a GUI or desktop environment. By all accounts from Pi and MS folks the Windows 10 support for the Pi 2 is just the ability to run C++ programs on the device without any GUI, much like what they support right now with the Galileo and Edison boards and their Windows IoT program. I'm not even sure it will support the .NET framework since the Galileo and Edison boards don't support it today. I think there was a lot of confusion and bad messaging with the Windows 10 on Pi announcement.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a horrible piece of wishful thinking that grew legs and was running around all the news sites when the Pi 2 was released. One of our product manager guys proclaimed that it means we would be able to deploy Raspberry Pi's to remote sites and run Windows apps on them, completely missing the point about it being a different architecture.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft says the Pi will have access to some sort of app store. If that's just the one-get chocolatey command line version or a touch-enabled GUI app store is up to debate, but here it is:

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2015/03/02/a-first-look-at-the-windows-10-universal-app-platform/

Kevin Gallo, Microsoft Shill posted:

Windows 10 represents the culmination of our platform convergence journey with Windows now running on a single, unified Windows core. This convergence enables one app to run on every Windows device – on the phone in your pocket, the tablet or laptop in your bag, the PC on your desk, and the Xbox console in your living room. And that’s not even mentioning all the new devices being added to the Windows family, including the HoloLens, Surface Hub, and IoT devices like the Raspberry Pi 2. All these Windows devices will now access one Store for app acquisition, distribution and update.

For APIs specific to a given device family (e.g. a phone dialer), the universal platform also provides an easy way to light up that functionality within an app without having to resort to using conditional compiler flags.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

raej posted:

Since we're waiting on Windows 10 to come out for the RPI2, has anyone heard of putting Windows RT on it since it's ARM? Is it even possible?

That is the version that will be going on the Pi yes, but drivers/an image are not ready.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Nintendo Kid posted:

That is the version that will be going on the Pi yes, but drivers/an image are not ready.

I don't know where you're getting that from. Whatever Windows will be on the Pi it will certainly not be Windows RT. Windows RT is dead.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BrainDance posted:

I don't know where you're getting that from. Whatever Windows will be on the Pi it will certainly not be Windows RT. Windows RT is dead.

It is not really, as it's the restrictive ARM build of Windows. You will never have full windows on a Pi until it gets an x86-64 processor in a future upgrade. There's going to be a rebranding of it, but RT remains the name of the API used, and what the Pi gets is RT by another name.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

heh

http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi-model-c

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well that was fast.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I can just imagine people taking shotguns to the B and furious they have to go through the ordering ordeal again.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
this is such an "epic" "lul"

pranked so hard!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Moey posted:

Well that was fast.

look at your calendar.