Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't know how Dark Souls 3 will be played, but I do know that Dark Souls 4 will be played on sticks and stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

I really like the Souls games, I just wish there was more of a focus on boss battles instead of fighting every single enemy that exists.

i wish that the boss battles were more varied than the ones in 2. i enjoy the level exploration, traps, and ambushes when done right and not just enemy spam for its own sake.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

i wish that the boss battles were more varied than the ones in 2. i enjoy the level exploration, traps, and ambushes when done right and not just enemy spam for its own sake.

Yeah I was thinking about giving 2 a second shot with the Remastered release but between Bloodborne and Final Fantasy HD type zero it would mean I would have to actually pay full price for a game because I burned all my giftcards already.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's a good game that I can have some fun in for 1-2 days max and then safely forget about forever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What's a good game that I can have some fun in for 1-2 days max and then safely forget about forever.
Shovel Knight, Hotline Miami, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

Minority Report.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Minority Report.

I found the game rather dark.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I found the game rather dark.

There's a puke grenade and a jetpack and you can destroy like 3/4 of everything in a given stage and when you throw a guy into a window he goes through the window and says "OH NO, I'M FALLING" and dies.

I thought it was p. campy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Any of the following Ratchet and Clanks:

Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Deadlocked
Tools of Destruction [This one's actually kind of a mixed bag but it's good if you haven't played an R&C game before except for one boss, but should be your last choice.]
Crack In Time

Ideally, play Up Your Arsenal followed by Crack In Time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for the suggestions all, some of those games are on my wishlist and I will take them into consideration (but in actuality will probably just load up Perfect Dark on Project64 for a couple hours).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Call of Juarez was good and fun.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

Everyone knows that the best Mario Kart game is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Crash Team Racing.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of dark souls 2. Is there another iteration of Dragon God? Bed of chaos was cool in concept but obviously rushed, so it never matched the satisfaction of dragon god.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I stand by my opinion that the first three Ratchet & Clanks are awesome and A Crack in Time is only okay

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

I stand by my opinion that the first three Ratchet & Clanks are awesome and A Crack in Time is only okay
Tools of Destruction was just as good as the original trilogy which I agree are all great. Deadlocked is the weakest of the four but still solid. I never played anything past Tools.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

R&C one is not as good as the others. Tools of Destruction isn't great, it's got some cool moments and a lot of bullshit. Crack in Time is the best in the series but it's also a little weird so I can get not being into it. Deadlocked is short and easy but it's good if you play it on Exterminator difficulty.

I actually haven't had a chance to play Into the Nexus yet.

Size Matters is awful.

These opinions are all correct. I have played this series way too many times.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Tonight is the Quake Live shitposters match, check it out at 7:30 PM Pacific time (in about 35 minutes) on this stream courtesy of Jimby

http://www.twitch.tv/xxfuneralfirexx

Jemere
Jul 21, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Speaking of dark souls 2. Is there another iteration of Dragon God? Bed of chaos was cool in concept but obviously rushed, so it never matched the satisfaction of dragon god.

Nothing quite the same, except maybe an optional relatively easy boss. DS2 is a good game with a lot of variation, but undeniably a lot of the bosses follow the Giant Guy Wearing Armor stereotype that appears a bit in DS1 - Artorias, etc.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I really liked the stuff building up to + the end of Planescape Torment, that's my favorite final boss in an rpg

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Planescape Torment owns big time, one of my favorite games ever 4 sure

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gay skull posted:

What would you do if chie herself confessed to loving borderlands and South Park?

such pathetic straw man arguments will not work against me

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

bulletstorm was p good for this

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I really liked the stuff building up to + the end of Planescape Torment, that's my favorite final boss in an rpg
Agreed. Talking down the final boss is also far more climatic and rewarding than just fighting him too.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

running around the fortress being chased by dumb shadows that lag the game was extremely less good unfortunately. If the place had just been empty and creepy it would've been perfect, but no, let's remember it's the Infinity Engine at the last moment and throw in some endless trash mobs that make you long for death

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

running around the fortress being chased by dumb shadows that lag the game was extremely less good unfortunately. If the place had just been empty and creepy it would've been perfect, but no, let's remember it's the Infinity Engine at the last moment and throw in some endless trash mobs that make you long for death
Yeah, that part blew. Torment had pretty bad combat encounters in general. If it ever gets an Enhanced Edition it would actually benefit from a no combat difficulty setting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I couldn't get into the first two R&C games but Up Your Arsenal has much more modern-feeling TPS controls so I like it a lot more.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, that part blew. Torment had pretty bad combat encounters in general. If it ever gets an Enhanced Edition it would actually benefit from a no combat difficulty setting.

on my second run I just used the tome o' cheats or w/e that one of the mods installs

you can also crank your attributes so you can see all the dialogue options!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I couldn't get into the first two R&C games but Up Your Arsenal has much more modern-feeling TPS controls so I like it a lot more.
Up Your Arsenal is just really good in general. I prefer Crack in Time but honestly UYA might be better.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Bloodborne is good and is awesome. My Copy arrived today and I deeply enjoy how hosed up and corrupted the enemies get.

The fights feel more balanced instead of having the game being filled with cheap shots and bullshit. It certainly refines the formula moreso than Dark Souls 2.

Like in Comparison when OG Monster Hunter came out you had bullshit hit boxes and a ton of other impeding poo poo. It wasn't until 3U and 4U did they fix major issues. Bloodborne is like that.

also no Basalisks.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 23, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Does it still force you to slog your way through enemies if you happen to die? Because that's one of the reasons I've never touched a Souls game. I don't mind hard if its like Hotline Miami 1 where death is just a slap on the wrist and it gets you right back into the action with little lost time, but I absolutely hate having to repeat lengthy sections.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Accordion Man posted:

Does it still force you to slog your way through enemies if you happen to die? Because that's one of the reasons I've never touched a Souls game. I don't mind hard if its like Hotline Miami 1 where death is just a slap on the wrist and it gets you right back into the action with little lost time, but I absolutely hate having to repeat lengthy sections.

Sofar there's no lengthy sections. The previous souls games all had bonfires placed in locations where if you died you would respawn from those making sure any lost progress would not be major.

Like even the dragon bridge at the beginning of Dark Souls had a bonfire right before it and one directly after it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do you even need to ask? If they removed that aspect of the souls games people would riot.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The non-boss enemies die pretty quickly though. I was afraid that ammo management would be an issue. it isn't and side stepping seems to be the way to blow through the cannon fodder minion packs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

today i bought vanquish. it was a good day. i didn't even care that my OG 360 requires me to take the face plate off and probe all three disk drive release holes to switch games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lurdiak posted:

Do you even need to ask? If they removed that aspect of the souls games people would riot.

I liked the compromise Dark Souls 2 had where enemies would respawn a set number of times and then be gone for good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Real hurthling! posted:

today i bought vanquish. it was a good day. i didn't even care that my OG 360 requires me to take the face plate off and probe all three disk drive release holes to switch games.

All holes filled, eh? How scandalous! :pervert:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

The non-boss enemies die pretty quickly though. I was afraid that ammo management would be an issue. it isn't and side stepping seems to be the way to blow through the cannon fodder minion packs.

Welcome to souls games

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Have we gotten to the point yet where career souls players with about 2000 hours into the series complaining that Bloodborne is too easy even on the higher NG+ difficulties? Or are we still in the phase of youtube videos talking about the graphics downgrades from reveal footage?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sober posted:

Have we gotten to the point yet where career souls players with about 2000 hours into the series complaining that Bloodborne is too easy even on the higher NG+ difficulties? Or are we still in the phase of youtube videos talking about the graphics downgrades from reveal footage?

I don't know much about Bloodborne but the only footage I've actually seen of the released game involved a dude stun-locking a boss to death in 5 hits so it probably is coming sooner than you think.

edit: The game seems to have a lot looser of a definition of 'boss fight' if that makes sense. The previous souls games' bosses are mostly about huge battles between your tiny dude and one or more really big dudes, with the occasional puzzle boss or boss with a twist. From what I've seen of Bloodborne (mostly just webms of bosses) they made really big dudes rarer and I'm not enough of a sucker to buy a PS4 so I haven't played it to tell you if that's actually true or just looks that way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sober posted:

Right now we're still at the "the only moral review is my review" stage where people dismiss every review that doesn't agree with them by saying that reviews are irrelevant and nobody cares about them while holding up reviews that agree with them as unassailable proof that their opinions are objectively correct.

• Locked thread