Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Tae posted:

The rest of top 8 still pays out, that's why. And most of those players are sponsored so they have to, regardless.

Yeah, good point. I knew my thinking was narrow minded but it was really bad now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Today I learned: Elena can beat Fei without learning anti-airs or punish combos. Poor Fei :(

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I mean I know "we've" never won EVO but has any US player won a major over the international heavy hitters that constantly win?

Yes

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm really not sure why any American players even both to show up at major tourneys with heavy international competition. I mean I know "we've" never won EVO but has any US player won a major over the international heavy hitters that constantly win?

Uh...they like playing Street Fighter?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

So Dieminion is now part of Steamco

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
https://twitter.com/kazunoko0215/status/579813802474147840

YOLO upkicks be with you

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hypocrisy posted:

Uh...they like playing Street Fighter?

That's not very esports of them <:mad:>

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CaptCommy posted:

Man, Elena is even more boring to watch than Fei. Who knew?

:what:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
https://twitter.com/kazunoko0215/status/579821666362097665

:negative:

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

"manual hurricane kick"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ashtarath posted:

"manual hurricane kick"

SFEX2 was the best Street Fighter, trufax :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Purposely letting Xian hit him with the super is some next level poo poo.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hell yeah Xian, beat that demon.

Awesome, awesome tournament.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Great set, glad to see Momochi is beatable, good for Xian!

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

God drat xian is playing well. Super happy how much he leveled up since capcom cup

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Momochi is human again.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Really happy for Xian even though I was rooting for Momochi. Nobody wants to qualify for CPT on a second place finish.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Tae posted:

Purposely letting Xian hit him with the super is some next level poo poo.

Momochi did not get hit by a super on purpose to go down 40% on tournament round to a character who beats Ken at neutral, Ultrachen are nutters.

Good poo poo to Xian, you could see how hard he studied for the matchup (both player and character).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wish FullSchedule had taken Marvel and Art had taken SF but I'll take Xian doing what Kazunoko could not and overcoming his demon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mio Bison posted:

Momochi did not get hit by a super on purpose to go down 40% on tournament round to a character who beats Ken at neutral, Ultrachen are nutters.

Good poo poo to Xian, you could see how hard he studied for the matchup (both player and character).

It's not far fetched, Daigo's on record saying in a showcase re-match years ago he destroyed Xian by letting him waste meter in EX so he never got to super.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
What's up with the exhibition? I missed if they said when it was going to be.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Exhibition got cancelled, I assume they ran short on time.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Full Schedule playing in the salty suite

http://www.twitch.tv/gbdojo

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

TS Sabin posted:

Play UNIEL. It will make you a man.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I love how much Elena action there was in this tournament.

Oddly enough, I don't know if I saw a single match with Poison.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Satorr posted:

I love how much Elena action there was in this tournament.

Oddly enough, I don't know if I saw a single match with Poison.

There were definitely poisons in the top 32, even a Hugo. Elena is definitely by far the most successful of the new characters, outside of that 1 month with Nemo.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

Tae posted:

It's not far fetched, Daigo's on record saying in a showcase re-match years ago he destroyed Xian by letting him waste meter in EX so he never got to super.

I assume that FT10 inspired Ultrachen's line of thinking but situationally letting Xian hit hands extensions to avoid 500-600 damage later is very different from giving away 450 and the life lead. Momochi threw an unsafe fireball, Xian was waiting for it, normal shoto problems.

Elena, Decapre, Rolento and Poison are all about equally successful? Elena's a popular pocket/counterpick character but Decapre's probably the strongest of the bunch in 1.04. Even Hugo's viable, he does well in matchups you wouldn't expect, you just can't choose him into the handful of super-strong zoners.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tae posted:

There were definitely poisons in the top 32, even a Hugo. Elena is definitely by far the most successful of the new characters, outside of that 1 month with Nemo.

Elena looks great because Sako, Xian, and Gamerbee have been putting her on display :allears:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

teagone posted:

Elena looks great because Sako, Xian, and Gamerbee have been putting her on display :allears:

Don't forget Momochi!

Everyone in Asia has a pocket Elena.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Why didn't j Wong just stick with Elena? She's good, His rose is rear end and Elena seems more his style anyway

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Synonamess Botch posted:

Why didn't j Wong just stick with Elena? She's good, His rose is rear end and Elena seems more his style anyway

Elena requires a lot of work to get good damage so maybe Justin is just lazy these days.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's not like Elena is obviously a better character than Rose, Elena just has more dramatic match-up advantages/disadvantages, with a touch of character unfamiliarity multiplied by the weirdest hitboxes in the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Elena requires a lot of work to get good damage so maybe Justin is just lazy these days.

Justin has never been an execution monster, and Rose is very undemanding execution-wise. Plus, Rose is definitely his style. Hold downback, build meter, use long pokes, confirm into super, no hard combos, decently mobile. It's just that Rose ain't that easy to play at a high level and JWong definitely doesn't have the character experience to make her work yet. I mean, most Rose mains have been playing her at least since Super now? JWong picked her up end of last year, right?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

teagone posted:

Elena requires a lot of work to get good damage

So does Rose, though. They're both characters with utility ultras who have to spend their entire bar for good damage.

Rose is more defensive than Elena though, and Justin was once known as a more defensive player. Maybe that's what he likes?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sarchasm posted:

So does Rose, though. They're both characters with utility ultras who have to spend their entire bar for good damage.

Rose is more defensive than Elena though, and Justin was once known as a more defensive player. Maybe that's what he likes?

I think he means more in terms of execution-wise. Elena takes multiple one frame links in her BnB, doesn't she?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

teagone posted:

Justin is just lazy these days.

Pretty much this.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

I think he means more in terms of execution-wise. Elena takes multiple one frame links in her BnB, doesn't she?

I might've just misinterpreted it. Yeah, Elena is all about one-frame links into crLK/crLP. Rose doesn't have anything nearly that crazy.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Dias posted:

Justin has never been an execution monster, and Rose is very undemanding execution-wise. Plus, Rose is definitely his style. Hold downback, build meter, use long pokes, confirm into super, no hard combos, decently mobile. It's just that Rose ain't that easy to play at a high level and JWong definitely doesn't have the character experience to make her work yet. I mean, most Rose mains have been playing her at least since Super now? JWong picked her up end of last year, right?

Pretty much that, and I know he's been playing her in tournaments for more matchup experience expecting to effectively tank it because he knows he's not that strong with her yet. Eyes on the prize. Whether or not it is effective remains to be seen, but it is what it is. I think Ricky has been doing the same thing with her Rolento over Rufus.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
The person who won marvel 2 at evo 7 times in a row is not an execution monster? Yeah ok

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

VigilantePrime posted:

The person who won marvel 2 at evo 7 times in a row is not an execution monster? Yeah ok

That was when he was young and cared.

Now Jwong is all about optimizing his money vs effort.

He could get really good at a hard game (street fighter) and maybe(hah) win, or he could continue to finish top 3 in every other game and top 8 in SF and make 10x as much cash

Plus, I have no idea how much 'prodding' goes on involving sponsors. EG has monsters in SF already, so if they can have Wong represent them in every other game, they're covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

VigilantePrime posted:

I never thought of Justin as much of an execution guy back in MvC2 days. I feel like he left the fancy unfly combos and poo poo like that to everyone else while he stuck to smart, solid play with Storm/Sentinel.