Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Really Pants posted:

Most Zone powers will now explicitly say "A creature can only take damage from the zone once per turn," to prevent you from bouncing them in and out of it with a big Slide and dealing the damage a couple times over.

I'm guessing they didn't include that in the Rules Compendium, so when they made that decision it or the pile of powers had to be changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Not So Fast posted:

I think having feats be a supplement to the class Archetype works a lot better than how 4e worked. If you have trouble picking one, take the flat ABI, but otherwise you can find neat stuff that compliments the class without being "I need this to actually do anything" like how some 4e feats worked.

Of course, I say this while all the feats we have are just in PHB1. Half the problem with picking feats in 4e was there were so drat many.

13th Age definitely solved the feat problem more than any other D&D system I've played. Feats are chosen as specific upgrades to class features, spells, or powers so for instance a feat for a rogue's sneak attack is listed as part of the sneak attack feature right there on the same page. No flipping back-and-forth trying to figure out if the feat applies to the power or not. There are also a few general feats as well, but none of them are math fixes or fiddly bonuses.

If I were to build a character builder for 4E, I would totally program some basic logic into which feats are displayed beyond just like what the character could potentially qualify for such as: (1) don't display feats for things the character is not proficient in, (2) don't display feats for the character's multiclass which are based on powers or class features the character doesn't have, (3) don't display feats that enhance a damage type that the character is incapable of producing, (4) specifically recommend math fix feats and the level when they're considered customary to take, and (5) hide obsolescent feats by default. I feel like this would make the 4E feat system much, much better.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rosalind posted:

If I were to build a character builder for 4E, I would totally program some basic logic into which feats are displayed beyond just like what the character could potentially qualify for such as: (1) don't display feats for things the character is not proficient in, (2) don't display feats for the character's multiclass which are based on powers or class features the character doesn't have, (3) don't display feats that enhance a damage type that the character is incapable of producing, (4) specifically recommend math fix feats and the level when they're considered customary to take, and (5) hide obsolescent feats by default. I feel like this would make the 4E feat system much, much better.

I'd be really happy if feats were grouped by their function rather than their prerequisites. So I could just scroll down to the 'Expertise' feats for my attack boost, then look at the 'Damage' feats when I want to try and kill things faster, etc. and never look at the feats I don't care about. Ideally, it'd be a filter system based on tagging.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Most Zone powers will now explicitly say "A creature can only take damage from the zone once per turn," to prevent you from bouncing them in and out of it with a big Slide and dealing the damage a couple times over.
I think that's a pretty okay rule on the whole, though.

e: Mordenkainen's has got to be the worst book in the 4E line. Every time I look through the builder and come across an item where I think "what is this bullshit" it's from Mordenkainen's.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The Zone rule would have been a fine universal rule but...

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm guessing they didn't include that in the Rules Compendium, so when they made that decision it or the pile of powers had to be changed?

Yup.

They still missed a few, but most of them are dailies so it's not as critical. And even 1/turn zones as still very powerful; there's a reason why Flame Spiral is the Sorcerer's best spell.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Because they didn't want to errata the rules comp., a large amount of metagame for awhile turned into finding the powers they hadn't adapted yet and this long weird dumb rule hunt. Zone abuse remains one of the dumber aspects of 4e's metagame. The other dumb one is the equally long weird rule hunt for anything that could constitute as a "double tap."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would it be fair to say that sort of thing was to 4E what "we'll just flood the dungeon with the decanter of endless water" was to 3.5?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Would it be fair to say that sort of thing was to 4E what "we'll just flood the dungeon with the decanter of endless water" was to 3.5?

Naw, it's more the super super super in depth picking apart of rules a word at a time that lead to the dumber combos. On the lower end you got "I took this one PrC and now my character knows and can spontaniously cast almost all cleric spells!" On the higher end it was poo poo like Pun-Pun or the Locate City Nuke.

The answer is to stop trying to use a thousand little specific rules and just be really BROAD about it. "Each attack is one single attack that benefits from all modifiers once." Then if a power breaks that rule it has to say it. Or poo poo, 4e has keywords, add that; unless a power has the Multiattack keyword (which cannot be added otherwise) it doesn't benefit from modifiers more then once. Likewise with zones - just put in a single goddamn rule that states enemies can only suffer zone damage either once per round or once for each square they voluntarily move through it. If you have a big wall of fire, it's the dumbest thing imaginable that it's actually somehow more damaging to jump in and out of the wall then it is to just sit and roast inside.

But asking D&D to use broad and simple rules without wiggle room has been an exercise in pointlessness ever since fuckin' AD&D 1e, a game built on having as many tiny little rules that intersect in the worst ways as possible.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It would have been possible to genuinely fix 4e (a 4.5e, if you will) and produce a good, balanced, interesting system for combat and non-combat. They asked the 4e CharOp forum about it and we produced something like 10 pages of genuinely useful suggestions - whilst we enjoyed hunting for silly combos, and producing theoretical builds that could backstab Vecna and remain entirely undetected... most of us actually PLAY balanced, relatively low-op characters, and are quite comfortable with, indeed, heavily encourage, a balanced game where everyone's optimising at roughly the same level, to avoid spotlight hogging. We suggested fixing zones, multi-attack/single large attack discrepancy, ridiculous skill optimisation, the hunt for item bonuses to damage, etc etc etc.

That's why we were all so bloody pissed off when, when it could have actually fixing 4e, 5e instead failed to fix 3.5.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 22, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

It would have been possible to genuinely fix 4e (a 4.5e, if you will) and produce a good, balanced, interesting system for combat and non-combat. They asked the 4e CharOp forum about it and we produced something like 10 pages of genuinely useful suggestions - whilst we enjoyed hunting for silly combos, and producing theoretical builds that could backstab Vecna and remain entirely undetected... most of us actually PLAY balanced, relatively low-op characters, and are quite comfortable with, indeed, heavily encourage, a balanced game where everyone's optimising at roughly the same level, to avoid spotlight hogging. We suggested fixing zones, multi-attack/single large attack discrepancy, ridiculous skill optimisation, the hunt for item bonuses to damage, etc etc etc.

That's why we were all so bloody pissed off when, when it could have actually fixing 4e, 5e instead failed to fix 3.5.

Can you link or is it buried in the depths of the WotC forums' re-org from a year or two ago?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's not stickied any more, so I doubt very much I could find it even if I had a lot more time than I do currently.

Asking in the Q&A thread over there is reasonably likely to yield someone who bookmarked it at the time, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Not So Fast posted:

I think having feats be a supplement to the class Archetype works a lot better than how 4e worked. If you have trouble picking one, take the flat ABI, but otherwise you can find neat stuff that compliments the class without being "I need this to actually do anything" like how some 4e feats worked.

Of course, I say this while all the feats we have are just in PHB1. Half the problem with picking feats in 4e was there were so drat many.

While I'll agree that feats should never be "I need this just to be able to operate well on a basic level" and that 5e generally succeeds in that regard, and even that many of 5e's feats provide new abilities and effects beyond just +x to something, 5e still takes a step backward by making players choose between it and the ASI. Feats by themselves are impossible to balance as long as their scope of possible effects is so broad, never mind when they're a choice between it and +1 to an attribute modifier.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's not stickied any more, so I doubt very much I could find it even if I had a lot more time than I do currently.

Asking in the Q&A thread over there is reasonably likely to yield someone who bookmarked it at the time, though.

If someone finds this, please do share it. Possibly in the 4e thread, I'd hate to further derail this one with the ensuing discussion.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I have the beginnings of a houserule in my head. Basically, at level 3, Martial characters gain 2 archetypes:

Barbarians and Rangers: choose from Barbarian, Fighter, and Ranger archetypes
    Fighter: chooses from Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue archetypes
    Rogue: chooses from Fighter, Ranger, and Rogue archetypes

Thoughts?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yes please? Man a Barbarian with the Champion Fighter Archetype and Bear Totem Archetype would be nice. So please run a game where I can do this. Also Beastmaster Archetype for the Ranger would be much nicer on a class with another Archetype already.

Also hahaha a Fighter or Rogue taking both spellcasting Archetypes.

Though this does remind me, it is ridiculous that a Barbarian can't get Expertise in Athletics.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

P.d0t posted:

I have the beginnings of a houserule in my head. Basically, at level 3, Martial characters gain 2 archetypes:

Thoughts?

This sounds like a great idea, and you should do it. But there are some weird cases here, like taking a Barbarian archetype without any levels in Barbarian. Those archetypes mostly modify the Rage ability, so if you don't have Rage then it's kind of a bad choice. It might be more effective if you create a list of archetypes from Fighter/Ranger/Rogue/Barbarian and then modify them to be appropriate to any of the martial classes. So Path of the Berserker would come with a sort of pseudo-Rage, where you don't get all of the Rage bonuses (no DR, no bonus damage) but you can use the Berserker abilities that are only usable during rage.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

P.d0t posted:

Thoughts?

Would there be any restrictions on this when someone chooses to multiclass? Could a fighter 3/rogue 3 begin acquiring features from 4 archetypes, for example?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

P.d0t posted:

Thoughts?

It would not be terribly difficult as written to game this to accumulate more spells than any full caster possesses.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It would not be terribly difficult as written to game this to accumulate more spells than any full caster possesses.

Spells mucking up things for martials? Say it ain't so! :magical:

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Thing is its not like the martial classes need more powers, they just need ones which give a bigger impact in play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah; giving a broader range of lovely things to choose from still gives them a range of lovely things to choose from.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

RE: organised play stuff

Encounters and Expeditions are different things, right? You'd do one or the other, rather than one leading into the other? Someone showed me the GM's PDFs for the Tyranny of Dragons stuff and I can't work out if they interact or are just plot-adjacent.

bmfrosty
Nov 12, 2003
Can't sleep, Kuhns will eat me.

mirthdefect posted:

RE: organised play stuff

Encounters and Expeditions are different things, right? You'd do one or the other, rather than one leading into the other? Someone showed me the GM's PDFs for the Tyranny of Dragons stuff and I can't work out if they interact or are just plot-adjacent.

They're adjacent. You can do one or another or both. Even with the same character. Elemental Evil encounters started last week (you can still get in fairly early now) and EE Expeditions starts next month.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's well-addressed by normal multiclassing rules, I think. Even if you take both of the casting martial archetypes, you're still only a half caster, so your spell progression is defined as such

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

That's well-addressed by normal multiclassing rules, I think. Even if you take both of the casting martial archetypes, you're still only a half caster, so your spell progression is defined as such

I think the assumption people are making is that you'd get both spellcasting progressions at the same time because you get both path features --so, you'd be able to cast a boatload of spells up to 4th level. Going with the Multiclassing chart instead, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster are 1/3 spellcasters, so at level 20 you'd have 40/3 caster levels. That still gives you a 20th level fighter with 7th level spell slots (even if you only have 4th level spells), as well as both tracks of path features.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taran posted:

I think the assumption people are making is that you'd get both spellcasting progressions at the same time because you get both path features --so, you'd be able to cast a boatload of spells up to 4th level. Going with the Multiclassing chart instead, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster are 1/3 spellcasters, so at level 20 you'd have 40/3 caster levels. That still gives you a 20th level fighter with 7th level spell slots (even if you only have 4th level spells), as well as both tracks of path features.

quote:

You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels in the bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard classes, half your levels (rounded down) in the paladin and ranger classes, and a third of your fighter or rogue levels (rounded down) if you have the Eldritch Knight or the Arcane Trickster feature.

According to the rules, even someone who is Rogue 3 / Fighter 3 with both of the casting martial archetypes is still just a 1/3rd caster, not 2/3rd. So in this weird houserule scenario I think it's clear that choosing both casting martial archetypes would also leave you as a 1/3rd caster

But even if you further houseruled the houserule so that you're a 2/3rd caster, that's still not anywhere close to accumulating more spell slots than a full caster. Sure, if you take the most liberal interpretation possible then you'll have more spells known but that doesn't count for much, especially when you remember that you're restricted to 4 specific schools

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 24, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I had a question about how Use Magic Device interacts with scrolls. Basically, does it? I mean the Rogue's Thief Archetype Use Magic Device says you ignore class, level and ability for magic item use. Does that class/level part extend to the spell list, thus allowing a rogue to use scrolls?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'd hope so, they're included as magic items and I'd argue that spell list is linked to class pretty loving tightly here.

But then, I'm still not sure whether healing potions count as magic items, so other rulings may exist.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Lotish posted:

So I had a question about how Use Magic Device interacts with scrolls. Basically, does it? I mean the Rogue's Thief Archetype Use Magic Device says you ignore class, level and ability for magic item use. Does that class/level part extend to the spell list, thus allowing a rogue to use scrolls?

This is D&D Next, where the only correct answer is 'ask your DM'.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Is it so wrong that martial be better than full casters even one time? Let them have their spells I say!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lotish posted:

It comes down to "Ask your DM", but keep in mind that the Basic Rules were at one point changed very specifically to only allow you to use scrolls from your own class' spell list. This could be interpreted either way as "you really shouldn't ever get to use scrolls with spells for another class" or "this makes Use Magic Device all the more useful because they're the only ones that can use scrolls with spells for another class"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A tabletop gamer was asking for advice from the writer of a new game he had been playing. "Lately, the game has been less fun; thinking that the rules are unclear and unfair, and finding themselves prone to arguing about them, my friends have been less and less interested in playing. Starting a new campaign seems pointless, and I fear only misery will come of it," he said to the writer. "How can I bring fun back to the table?"

To this, the writer said, "The veteran DM Pagliacci has been looking for players for his weekly game. Join that game, and he'll surely show you how the answers you've been seeking."

"But sir," he replied, "I am Pagliacci."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NEXT thread is done. Lets wrap it up folks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So WTOC released a new column going over a few questions people have had about casting spells.

It is very dumb and I have no idea what person would actually ask these questions

Here's the worst of it.

quote:

Can a spell with an attack roll be used as the attack in the Attack action or as part of the Extra Attack feature?

quote:

Can you use a melee spell attack to make an opportunity attack?

You can’t if the spell attack is created by casting a spell. When a creature triggers an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against it. The opportunity attack doesn’t suddenly give you the ability to cast a spell, such as shocking grasp.

Each spell has a casting time. A game feature, such as an opportunity attack, doesn’t let you bypass that casting time, unless the feature says otherwise. The War Caster feat is an example of a feature that does let you bypass a 1-action casting time to cast a spell in place of an opportunity attack.

A few monsters can make opportunity attacks with melee spell attacks. Here’s how: certain monsters—including the banshee, lich, and specter—have a melee spell attack that isn’t delivered by a spell. For example, the banshee’s Corrupting Touch action is a melee spell attack but no spell is cast to make it. The banshee can, therefore, make opportunity attacks with Corrupting Touch.

quote:

If a spell's material components are consumed, can a spellcasting focus still be used in place of the consumed component?

Nope. A spellcasting focus can be used in place of a material component only if that component has no cost noted in the spell’s description and if that component isn’t consumed.

quote:

What’s the amount of interaction needed to use a spellcasting focus? Does it have to be included in the somatic component?

If a spell has a material component, you need to handle that component when you cast the spell (see page 203 in the Player’s Handbook). The same rule applies if you’re using a spellcasting focus as the material component.

If a spell has a somatic component, you can use the hand that performs the somatic component to also handle the material component. For example, a wizard who uses an orb as a spellcasting focus could hold a quarterstaff in one hand and the orb in the other, and he could cast lightning bolt by using the orb as the spell’s material component and the orb hand to perform the spell’s somatic component.

Another example: a cleric’s holy symbol is emblazoned on her shield. She likes to wade into melee combat with a mace in one hand and a shield in the other. She uses the holy symbol as her spellcasting focus, so she needs to have the shield in hand when she casts a cleric spell that has a material component. If the spell, such as aid, also has a somatic component, she can perform that component with the shield hand and keep holding the mace in the other.

If the same cleric casts cure wounds, she needs to put the mace or the shield away, because that spell doesn’t have a material component but does have a somatic component. She’s going to need a free hand to make the spell’s gestures. If she had the War Caster feat, she could ignore this restriction.

After reading those last two the only conclusion I can come to is why anyone would use a focus and line itemize their entire spell list for versimilitude over just keeping a free hand and a component pouch.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When Dragon was still a print magazine they had a Q&A section and every single month it was blindingly obvious stuff. Back then though you wouldn't get pants-on-head retarded clarifications for largely non-existent rules, though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Take your pick on which is closer to the truth: that these questions get asked so often that WotC answers them in the magazine, or WotC just answers the easy questions because someone didn't get poo poo done before the deadline appeared.

I'm guessing the latter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

When Dragon was still a print magazine they had a Q&A section and every single month it was blindingly obvious stuff. Back then though you wouldn't get pants-on-head retarded clarifications for largely non-existent rules, though.

The pants on head retarded stuff is what confuses me. Because by clarifying this all they've done is made things even more confusing.

Like, There are spells where one of the material components is a powdered gemstone worth X GP, which logically would mean that it's consumed, but it's not. So you draw a magic circle with your gem dust and then just scrape it back up and put it in your bag.

You can use the same scrap of meat all day every day to summon beasts because it isn't consumed, even once it has long since gone rotten and stale.

Also a spell focus will also cover somatic components but only if it's allowed to cover for material components as well.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 25, 2015

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If I were to throw together a crib sheet for 5e newbies like myself formatted for low ink use when printing, what ought to be included? What do you wish had been outlined a little more clearly when you started playing?

And if someone has already done this, could I get the link? All I've found out there is DM screens, multi page lovely formatting, only combat-related, or festooned with colored boxes and pretty pictures that waste ink. I'm just looking for the stuff that would help not consult the PHB every three minutes.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Kurieg posted:

You can use the same scrap of meat all day every day to summon beasts because it isn't consumed, even once it has long since gone rotten and stale.

You don't have to worry about it rotting, just keep a piece of beef jerky in your component pouch. That stuff lasts forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If I were to throw together a crib sheet for 5e newbies like myself formatted for low ink use when printing, what ought to be included? What do you wish had been outlined a little more clearly when you started playing?

I keep a full copy of all the status effects handy pretty much every game. I bring the rules for grappling/shoving/lifting/jumping whenever I play a character that's going to get fancy enough to need it. The rules for hiding and obscured vision can be a nightmare, so anyone playing a rogue should have that immediately available. Everything else has always seemed somewhat straightforward.