Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

David Corbett posted:

Yeah. If I had that kind of resources (and had already covered my bases!), I'd probably want to throw money around like a madman, too. We all have our own priorities, though.

Not to mention that diving in the Galapagos is totally a bucket list item, probably not a thing someone would do every year. I can see a travel budget for two people easily getting up to the $1000/month level over the course of a year. That makes a lot more sense, and speaking personally it would be easier to justify to myself, than spending $2000/month on food.

Mind you, most recently I've got it in my head to dine at a 3-star Michelin restaurant while on my upcoming vacation, so I really have no place to criticize whatever other people choose to spend their money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

Ok, maybe I exaggerated. Looking at my travel expense spreadsheets it was closer to $30K.

Assuming this isn't a joke, "extreme luxury travel is expensive!!" should never be a metric in policy making.

I mean enjoy your 5-star vacations but gently caress (the universal) you if you complain about the cost.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Not to mention that diving in the Galapagos is totally a bucket list item, probably not a thing someone would do every year. I can see a travel budget for two people easily getting up to the $1000/month level over the course of a year. That makes a lot more sense, and speaking personally it would be easier to justify to myself, than spending $2000/month on food.

Mind you, most recently I've got it in my head to dine at a 3-star Michelin restaurant while on my upcoming vacation, so I really have no place to criticize whatever other people choose to spend their money on.

It also depends how frequent you eat out - $20/head for one meal a day and two people would be $1200/month, and $20 is pretty cheap for a single meal.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Oakland Martini posted:

Econ has some good outside options that push salaries up, what can I say? My gf has a phd too but is in the private sector, actually just started a data science thing like you do if I remember correctly.

So do math and computer science, but I don't think that it affects TT salaries in those fields very much. What are the data science options in Toronto like, out of curiosity? Vancouver still has nothing as far as I can tell.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hootsuite is opening a center of excellence where they intend to harness the power of data science and

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

computer parts posted:

It also depends how frequent you eat out - $20/head for one meal a day and two people would be $1200/month, and $20 is pretty cheap for a single meal.

Eating out does add up really quickly, that's true. It's amazing how much money I've saved since I started cooking for myself more and actually planning meals to reduce waste. $20 buys gently caress all at most restaurants, but it'll make you a kingly meal if you cook it yourself.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

blah_blah posted:

So do math and computer science, but I don't think that it affects TT salaries in those fields very much. What are the data science options in Toronto like, out of curiosity? Vancouver still has nothing as far as I can tell.

CS doesn't pay well? That's crazy, I would have thought a TT job in CS would pay more than any position outside of a business school.

On the second point I don't honestly know, it's a pretty specialized role closely related to her research field. She worked with proprietary data from her current employer during her phd in fact.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Oakland Martini posted:

CS doesn't pay well? That's crazy, I would have thought a TT job in CS would pay more than any position outside of a business school.

Actually, you're right, I looked at the BC Sunshine list and TT profs in CS at UBC were making ~120k.

So, two-thirds of what a fresh grad with a BS makes at Google.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

Eating out does add up really quickly, that's true. It's amazing how much money I've saved since I started cooking for myself more and actually planning meals to reduce waste. $20 buys gently caress all at most restaurants, but it'll make you a kingly meal if you cook it yourself.

Cutting out red meat has already started to reflect on my balance book, even with the ultra-insane discounts I was getting from my butcher. Not getting colon cancer from eating a 1.5kg steak in a single sitting, several times a month, will be a side benefit in comparison. :v:

VVVV: Oh, well that's a relief, it was mostly blue-rare.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 23, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

Cutting out red meat has already started to reflect on my balance book, even with the ultra-insane discounts I was getting from my butcher. Not getting colon cancer from eating a 1.5kg steak in a single sitting, several times a month, will be a side benefit in comparison. :v:

The cancer association is due to the carcinogens from the bbq preparation of the red meat, not the red meat itself.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

VVVV: Oh, well that's a relief, it was mostly blue-rare.

I'd sooner die than cut out red meat.

As a side note, why is it so loving hard to find veal here when it's so easy to find regular beef?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

cowofwar posted:

The cancer association is due to the carcinogens from the bbq preparation of the red meat, not the red meat itself.

More recent research suggests that it may be the red meat itself.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/01/02/red-meat-cancer-immune/
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/2/542.abstract

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'd rather run the risk rather than cut out red meat, tbh.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Ah, well. Everyone dies someday, after all.

especially if you're a cow

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What do you do with your life if you make optimal decisions for your health and safety all the time? Sit at home, read books, and get some moderate exercise in a gym with a filtered air system?

That's no way to live.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

I'd sooner die than cut out red meat.

As a side note, why is it so loving hard to find veal here when it's so easy to find regular beef?

Really? My butcher is overstocked on it constantly, even makes veal bacon.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wouldn't want to malign anyone for making a healthy choice in general, but I'm guessing red meat alone is the least of 99% of the population's health worries.

That being said, poo poo's getting expensive. A few years ago I could go down to Kensington Market in Toronto and get ground beef for $2.50/lbs. I'd make a mountain of hamburger patties and freeze them. Now it's close to $5.00 when it's not on sale.
I made the mistake of wandering in to a boutique butcher and they wanted ~$24.00/lbs for a ribeye. Even the bison ribeyes in Waterloo were cheaper than that.

Somewhat relevant to the thread because in the three years I was at my last job they gave everyone a raise of 2%. I left making less than when I started.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

What do you do with your life if you make optimal decisions for your health and safety all the time? Sit at home, read books, and get some moderate exercise in a gym with a filtered air system?

That's no way to live.

how do vegetarians even have fun? thought PT6A

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

how do vegetarians even have fun? thought PT6A

That's not what I said. However, if you're avoiding meat and otherwise restricting your diet entirely due to health concerns instead of ethical issues, and applying that same level of health-conscious thought to the rest of your life, yes, I do wonder how you have fun. Most fun hobbies have at least some element of danger or can be unhealthy. Reading is about the only one I can think of that is perfectly safe and healthy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

That's not what I said. However, if you're avoiding meat and otherwise restricting your diet entirely due to health concerns instead of ethical issues, and applying that same level of health-conscious thought to the rest of your life, yes, I do wonder how you have fun. Most fun hobbies have at least some element of danger or can be unhealthy. Reading is about the only one I can think of that is perfectly safe and healthy.

working out comes to mind - seriously

But I was being facetious, I'm a chronic critter-eater and booze-drinker and I just happen to know lots of folks to are much healthier than I who happen to be very happy

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Back in November I was humming and hawing about oil prices falling with some folks.

They were really, really adamant that this was a great thing for the Canadian economy as it would allow the manufacturing sector to boom again.

How's that going? Things picking up anywhere in Ontario?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Amos Moses posted:

Back in November I was humming and hawing about oil prices falling with some folks.

They were really, really adamant that this was a great thing for the Canadian economy as it would allow the manufacturing sector to boom again.

How's that going? Things picking up anywhere in Ontario?

There was a Govt. of Ontario bond auction for March where the gov. finance minister said the collapse in oil prices will be a tailwind for the rest of Canada since all the high value labor and white collar workers who were just laid off in Calgary/Alberta will come back to Ontario to work in their lower paying industrial sector, giving the Govt. more revenues in 2016/17. Which makes these bonds a swinging buy right now compared to US Muni's & Canada Sov's.

Needless to say, the guy from Pimco had to excuse himself from the room to 'take a call'. We could hear the laughing outside the room as he reported back to California HQ on the 'wildly optimistic' Ontario Finance and Quebec employment rates for sheet rolling industry. I guess nobody told those liberal shits Russell Metals and the working half of StelCo were working contracts for Suncor & Cenovus.

They only want the manufacturing sector to boom again so that their horrible financial models for the bond market balance, vs. the impounding cash crunch when the 2017 maples need to roll over, and Quebec, NB and Ontario get downgraded to A- at best. Unless you are a fund, which is obligated to hold Canadian paper, nobody wants to be anywhere near the poo poo in todays tape. gently caress, even the Govt. just issued their first role of Maple bonds (Canadian govts issued in US dollars) since 93. TSX liquidity is also at a post-1988 low, which is why its easier now to dollar average down via equity financing than market limit order purchases if you are a mega fund.

And to keep back on topic:

Anyone taking a plunge in George Weston's new bruised food program yet ? Because surely the collapse of the energy industry must be a tailwind for consumers if Price Club & Costco are now outside the average Canadian's purchasing power index. Cant wait to see how the CBC spins Liberal voters in Markham and St.Johns shopping for rotten produce is somehow great for the economy this fall.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 23, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rime posted:

Old spice guy is a great example, one of the most viral marketing gigs of the past five years: people watched those ads in the millions, because they were hilarious, and it had zero measurable impact on P&G sales. :bravo:

I see your Old Spice Guy example and raise you The Most Interesting Man in the World, which had an enormous effect on Dos Equis sales.

Isentropy posted:

And don't forget Nova Scotia. This plus the EI crackdown is gonna have a serious effect on our economy. I'm glad I work in a sector that isn't affected by the oil price, and if anything benefits from it - but the local job market is going to get rocked soon I feel. Too many people went out west with minimal education and got jobs and when they all flood back at the same time...

My girlfriend and I are terrified of people flooding back into the province.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 23, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Kraftwerk posted:

What happens when someone fails to pay their condo starta fees? Do they get "evicted" from a place that they own? When I look at how that particular expense balloons over the first few years of a condo's lifetime I seriously question just how useful it is to buy one in the first place. You're basically paying rent for a place you own.

If the condo corp is set up right they can force you to sell and collect unpaid condo fees from the proceeds. Condo fees aren't rent, they're mostly maintenance costs, service costs and utilities for common property owned by the condo corporation.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't expecting manufacturing to make a comeback in Canada just... nonsense? I don't know if I'd even call it wishful thinking, more like complete and utter self delusion. What possible circumstances would lead to a corporation having their manufacturing place located here rather than Mexico or China or something?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ChairMaster posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't expecting manufacturing to make a comeback in Canada just... nonsense? I don't know if I'd even call it wishful thinking, more like complete and utter self delusion. What possible circumstances would lead to a corporation having their manufacturing place located here rather than Mexico or China or something?

There's a big established existing manufacturing base in Ontario, with much better infrastructure, security, rule of law, etc than either China or Mexico. None of the major carmakers pulled out of Ontario even when the dollar was 1:1, compared to say Australia, although that probably wasn't sustainable, with 0.75:1 or less I can believe manufacturing coming back to Ontario. It just won't look as good because it entails people actually going to work making poo poo and making a living as opposed to speculating on real estate.

Not BC or Alberta though the only thing they make over there are Steven Seagal movies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

Hell, even the working costs of the US drastically underbid you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JawKnee posted:

working out comes to mind - seriously

But I was being facetious, I'm a chronic critter-eater and booze-drinker and I just happen to know lots of folks to are much healthier than I who happen to be very happy

Working out carries a risk of injury, though. Maybe yoga is fully safe, but running and biking certainly aren't (especially if you do them outside!) and neither is weightlifting. Those things probably aren't going to kill you, true, but there is still danger involved.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Literally everything is dangerous, man. Even reading.

We're all headed towards the crematorium no matter what path we take.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I feel like I've just witnessed the genesis of western white people enlightenment to eastern philosophy. Like what happened to the boomers in the 60s with the counter culture hippy movement. Like the Beatles visiting India

you loving morons

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

blah_blah posted:

This one is pretty great. Underwater on condo and have student loans and about to have a kid? Time to buy a house!

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/03/20/debt-ridden-young-couple-in-vancouver-wants-it-all-bigger-house-kids-early-retirement/

You can get a house around Vancouver that you design & build yourself for $550k??

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cultural Imperial posted:

I feel like I've just witnessed the genesis of western white people enlightenment to eastern philosophy. Like what happened to the boomers in the 60s with the counter culture hippy movement. Like the Beatles visiting India

you loving morons

Here's what normal people would do:

:v: Man, I would never buy a Mustang/$50 steak myself, seems like a waste of money!
:(: I would, I kind of like them.
:v: Eh, cool, different strokes.
:(: Yeah.

But here we are with 350 pages of arguing over what people should be allowed to buy with their own money.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Throatwarbler posted:

But here we are with 350 pages of arguing over what people should be allowed to buy with their own money.

They're not using their own money, that's the point.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
namaste

Lol gently caress off

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

They're not using their own money, that's the point.

They're not using their own money, unless they are. Which some of them are.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Alcohol is environmentally responsible, the best stuff can be made yourself, and it drowns out any worries you could have that need to be comforted by excess spending. Drink more booze.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

triplexpac posted:

You can get a house around Vancouver that you design & build yourself for $550k??

Not even in the burbs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

Not even in the burbs.

Assuming you already have the land, it should be possible :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Here's what normal people would do:

:v: Man, I would never buy a Mustang/$50 steak myself, seems like a waste of money!
:(: I would, I kind of like them.
:v: Eh, cool, different strokes.
:(: Yeah.

Yeah, this thread has basically become "poo poo on people who spend money in any capacity" at this point, with the occasional article about the housing bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

There's a big established existing manufacturing base in Ontario, with much better infrastructure, security, rule of law, etc than either China or Mexico. None of the major carmakers pulled out of Ontario even when the dollar was 1:1, compared to say Australia, although that probably wasn't sustainable, with 0.75:1 or less I can believe manufacturing coming back to Ontario. It just won't look as good because it entails people actually going to work making poo poo and making a living as opposed to speculating on real estate.

Not BC or Alberta though the only thing they make over there are Steven Seagal movies.

This is wishful thinking, especially on the auto front. The auto industry in Canada will probably never regain its prominence. Building stuff in Canada is not only more expensive then Mexico or the Southern U.S. in terms of labour, it's geographically more remote from the North American growth markets, and has far less access to international markets. Automakers have moved more or less to a single plant per model style of production. They want one plant to manufacture one style of car for as large a market as possible. Moving to Mexico in this case then makes sense. Mexico has better access to markets because of free trade agreements than Canada. Cars built in Canada can move duty free throughout nafta, but cars built in Mexico can move duty free in nafta, South America and a few Asian countries. This dynamic doesn't apply to quite all industries but it does to most.

When you add the challenges of expensive labour and expensive electricity it becomes obvious why companies aren't siting heavy industry in Canada, there's no logical reason they would. The dollar would have to fall far further than it has for our manufacturing industry to be really competitive, and even then, it's unlikely we would be the first choice because of market access issues.