Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Aesop Poprock posted:

They're similar in that Dana White would have no problem having guys go out and fight doped out of their minds and injured if MMA didn't have to walk on legal eggshells with state athletic commissions

I don't really believe that's true and nothing that Dana's ever done has indicated that he would force a dude to fight injured if he could.

And considering his reactions to the whole TRT issue and then the UFC's decision to start their own random testing, I'm pretty sure both Dana and the Ferttitas are in favor of drug testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

1st AD posted:

Most of the on screen drama is scripted, though sometimes real life disagreements bleed into the broadcast.

Most of the off-screen drama is invisible to the average wrestling fan unless you are a super nerd and read the dirt sheets. I haven't watched WWE in forever but I gather a lot of CM Punk's fans are ones who were said super nerds who felt like he was being unfairly buried in favor of shittier wrestlers

In CM Punk's case, he aired his real life dirty laundry on TV for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hcKjU2Y3YI

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't really believe that's true and nothing that Dana's ever done has indicated that he would force a dude to fight injured if he could.

And considering his reactions to the whole TRT issue and then the UFC's decision to start their own random testing, I'm pretty sure both Dana and the Ferttitas are in favor of drug testing.

Also, the whole insurance thing.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly it's not too different from MMA fighters and boxers claiming they have problems with each other before a big fight. Most of the time it's just showmanship for the fans, but sometimes there's an element of actual dislike between them or even outright hostility.

Memento posted:

The best way to find out if a performer talking poo poo about Vince is legitimate or not is whether or not there are lawyers involved. Punk sued the WWE for unpaid royalties and appearance money and got a massive settlement because legally, they didn't have a leg to stand on. It's widely regarded that the lawsuit the WWE doctor filed against Punk and Cabana is being done because Vince wants to get back at Punk, and can only do it by proxy per what are probably the details of their settlement. Vince literally "wants his win back" because he is a brain-damaged carny.

This makes sense, thanks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

In CM Punk's case, he aired his real life dirty laundry on TV for years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hcKjU2Y3YI

I couldn't get through a 1/4 of this because Punk does sound insufferable here even if he's right.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP5aG1w8k4c

So here is the interview that got Punk involved in a new lawsuit.

It's two hours of mostly bitching so TL;DW:

1. Claims that WWE's doctor either failed to recognize or tell Punk that he had a serious staph infection for months and would just repeatedly give him antibiotics that can't handle a staph infection. This is the basis of the defamation lawsuit. I don't think Punk actually names the doctor in this interview.

2. Claims (and this is corroborated by everyone who has worked with WWE ever) that you get no recovery time from injuries and constantly work with serious injuries. Claims that Vince will personally mislead and pressure you into coming back too early and promise to give you things in return, and then you never get those things (also corroborated).

3. Claims that WWE tried to withhold his contractual earnings after he quit and stopped returning his phone calls. Took them to court and won. This was the main reason he waited until last November to talk about any of this.

4. Says everyone backstage is kept in the dark about what's going on at large with the company (such as what is happening to their paydays now that they are moving from PPV to online)

5. Says newer guys are rightly scared shitless of doing anything outside of what they are told, but guys are expected to find their own way and stand out even though the company has cultivated fear of refusing to do anything the writers want. Basically, either Vince likes you and lets you do whatever you want or he doesn't.

6. Was mad about having to do jobs for the Undertaker/Rock/Brock because they are not full-time guys, but clearly is actually mad because he didn't perceive that he was earning the same money as top stars even after becoming one. This is kinda the thing he is being a poo poo about, because those guys coming in improves business and therefore everyone's paycheck, and they've all already done all their world tours and then some/have other business. Punk comes off like he was politicking too much (but he deserved payoffs matching everyone else's at his level).

7. Does not get along with Triple H and thinks Triple H personally tried to sabotage his career.

8. Says Ryback is a sloppy idiot and suspects Ryback tried to injure him on purpose.

When you frame this as one person saying these things it's easy to dismiss as Punk being a whiny poo poo. But anyone who is not dependent on WWE for their livelihoods or that doesn't have a chance of getting another run with the company backs this stuff up, as do the dirtsheets in general. If you want to read all about what an unbelievable carny Vince is, you can pick up Bret Hart's book and skip to the part where he comes into WWF. You can there read about Vince causing the Montreal screwjob because he was unable to legally gently caress with Bret's contract, retaining Owen Hart's contract and making him a jobber simply to spite Bret (inadvertently leading to Owen's death), the guys behind DX originally forming the group as a political bloc so Vince couldn't gently caress with any of their careers, and so on.

Also, WWE has now twice fired the same trainer (in 2007 and earlier this month) for physically abusing trainees, covering up sexual harassment, and firing whistleblowers. Being in wrestling is kinda like being in NFL football except workers don't get treated as well and make a tiny fraction of the money. This is not to say the NFL has a good record.

So, with all that wrestling trivia out of the way, I hope that CM Punk wins at least one UFC match, even if it means they have to give him an MMA jobber, if for no other reason than that if he does go back to wrestling, which he may well do for WWE or another company, he will command a better bargaining position. I would ordinarily say after all this that he'll never go back to WWE, but the bad blood between Vince and Bret Hart or Vince and Ultimate Warrior was way worse and they eventually did business again (in Bret's case because he wanted input into what the company said about him... It's hard to say why Warrior did anything).

Name Change fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 23, 2015

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Thanks OTM, you are great at articulating everything I would never be able to.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Vince and Punk were actually really close if I remember correctly

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

Vince and Punk were actually really close if I remember correctly

I don't think anyone is "really close" with Vince McMahon

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
They weren't so much as close, more like Punk wasn't afraid to talk to Vince, and Vince usually will listen to someone who talks to him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sionistic posted:

They weren't so much as close, more like Punk wasn't afraid to talk to Vince, and Vince usually will listen to someone who talks to him.

Counterpoint: A guy coming up from NXT was told repeatedly, "Whatever you do, don't talk to Vince."

Seeing Vince in the hallway, his wrestler's training kicked in and he introduced himself for a handshake. (This is absolutely required of workers, it shows respect and enforces you can trust them with your safety in the ring.)

He was fired the next day.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
And that wrestler was Albert Einstein.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

The only story I know like that is about New Jack, who was in for a tryout to be the guy who stabbed John Cena (who was out filming The Marine, I think), and he was fired for being New Jack

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Retromancer posted:

I don't know where you're going to find another 36 year old MMA fighter with no amateur experience and a million concussions, though.

literally anywhere

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah try Sam's Place or the train yard

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint: A guy coming up from NXT was told repeatedly, "Whatever you do, don't talk to Vince."

Seeing Vince in the hallway, his wrestler's training kicked in and he introduced himself for a handshake. (This is absolutely required of workers, it shows respect and enforces you can trust them with your safety in the ring.)

He was fired the next day.

And this person was? I've never heard that and it sounds like the New Jack story with names removed and NXT added.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
It was New Jack, who accidentally got hired to NXT as "Aidyn Geraldsson"

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yuriy posted:

yea, that's true

i don't like him as a wrestler or a person because from the WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY and his attitude he seems like kind of a bitch and i think that while he's had some okay matches, he's sloppy and held to a lower standard because he fills that role of the anti-WWE guy that people could rally behind

ill acknowledge that he could cut a promo and that he was good with heyman/the pipebomb but thats entirely in a wrestling bubble and now that hes left it, i no longer have any reason to like the dude at all

His knuckles say at least one point and time he was in a state of mind where a knuckle tattoo was a good idea, and you as a connoisseur of white trash punch dummies should appreciate that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Guy can't even drink a beer. How's he gonna take a punch?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Knuckle tattoos are fine, knuckle tattoos displaying how scared you are to do fun things are laugh worthy

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

And this person was? I've never heard that and it sounds like the New Jack story with names removed and NXT added.

My favorite New Jack thing is when he was on Art of Wrestling telling Colt a story about how he jerked off with his friends as a kid with the passion most people would save for an awesome story about your glory years and Cabana gets increasingly baffled and terrified

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
What's the New Jack story?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

New Jack get a look from WWE. His name is on a board to wrestle. Someone tells him, specifically, do not talk to Vince McMahon. New Jack goes and talks to Vince McMahon. New Jack's name is removed from the board.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Keg posted:

What's the New Jack story?

Anything New Jack has done since his inception is part of a larger story.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

RacistGuidingLight posted:

connoisseur of white trash punch dummies

lol

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

His knuckles say at least one point and time he was in a state of mind where a knuckle tattoo was a good idea, and you as a connoisseur of white trash punch dummies should appreciate that.

not even our white trash or brazilian favela dwellers get knuckle tats for the most part

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Even knowing Vince McMahon, I don't see how that New Jack story is a thing, unless someone from the back office literally hired New Jack and Vince didn't know anything about it until he's shaking hands with the guy. Which I guess actually makes sense, because why the gently caress would you ever hire New Jack if you're a grown-up with an actual television show that you don't have to pay the network to show?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The only fighter currently in the UFC with hand tattoos is Porier I think.

If you look back you get cool guys like Bas......and War Machine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

How hosed up he had to be to fail that medical when Kimbo who apparently had no knees got on?

Doctor: Kurt... I'm not exactly sure how to say this.... but according to our tests you've been dead for at least 5 years now.
Kurt: .....yeah but did I pass the freaking test or not?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2015 and people still making fun of people who don't want to do drugs or drink? wow

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
2015 and there are still people who call themselves straight edge and get tattoos of the pepsi logo? wow

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

all great champions use drugs and cm punk is not committed to succeeding in this sport until he does them

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
2015 and there's still people making bad posts on the forums? wow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

get tattoos of the pepsi logo? wow

That part deserves to be made fun of though

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Pretty sure Punk got the tattoos some time before 2015.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chris James 2 posted:

2015 and people still making fun of people who don't want to do drugs or drink? wow

Lmao

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Yes, of course.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Chris James 2 posted:

its almost like you can not do those things without being a preachy oval office that gets it tattooed on his body

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2015 and people still taking every post seriously? wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

He's scared to drink a beer though. He's got a beer phobia.

• Locked thread