Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LastInLine posted:

Cricket is AT&T so if you're looking on eBay for the 2013 Moto X, look for the XT1058 (AT&T) or XT1053 (T-Mobile/Developer Edition). You'll need it unlocked, of course, which most should be listed as refurbished and unlocked.

drat.. $230 on Amazon... not bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TraderStav posted:

99% certain that a locked AT&T phone will work with cricket

It will. I've used one before (back when it was aio).

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

Initial review of the M9 from Anandtech: http://anandtech.com/show/9102/the-htc-one-m9-review-part-1

Not looking very good for HTC.

If it were an iPhone it would be a raving review for such an incremental upgrade :jerkbag:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Prescription Combs posted:

If it were an iPhone it would be a raving review for such an incremental upgrade :jerkbag:
iPhones are starting from a position of selling extremely well and being a general success. HTC is not.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

Except that the review pretty concludes that the M9's gone backwards in many areas?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seems like embargo's are up because Engadget, The Verge, and a bunch of other places have reviews up.

Looks to be a very incremental update if you had an M8. According to Verge, the camera is sometimes worse than the M8.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just got the 5.1 update for the Moto X and my life is forever changed with the karate chop gesture to turn on the flashlight.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Seems like embargo's are up because Engadget, The Verge, and a bunch of other places have reviews up.

Looks to be a very incremental update if you had an M8. According to Verge, the camera is sometimes worse than the M8.

Did the Verge rate it 9/10 just because it's the M9, like they did with their Windows 8.1 review?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ugh I am about to leave the country for 2 weeks and they're pushing out 5.1 for the X finally? I just love upgrading the OS on my devices a week before I will be relying on them to get me around a crowded city. Apparently to turn off OTA updates, you have to root the device?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Ugh I am about to leave the country for 2 weeks and they're pushing out 5.1 for the X finally? I just love upgrading the OS on my devices a week before I will be relying on them to get me around a crowded city. Apparently to turn off OTA updates, you have to root the device?

Did it force the update or can you hold off on it?
I remember Apple updating the iPhone and iPad, a few years back, right as I was going on a trip a few thousand miles from home, both operated terribly the entire time I was gone.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I am going to rack up 21,000 physical air miles in the first half of April in a whole different part of the world than I usually go. I think you get the upgrade nag screen, but that was a while ago, I've never had to upgrade my 2013 X since it came out and I know Motorola does things a bit differently. I'm tempted to root it now just to avoid the whole headache. 4.4.4 runs really fast and reliably, and upgrading to 5.0.1 from 4.4.4 just trashed my G so I am extra paranoid.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

So apparently with the M9 being not good/somewhat worse than the M8, what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile? I like my G3, but the cracks it's formed in it's bezels are becoming increasingly worrying, and both LG and T-Mobile won't acknowledge its a known issue despite it apparently being kind of widespread.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Variable_H posted:

So apparently with the M9 being not good/somewhat worse than the M8, what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile? I like my G3, but the cracks it's formed in it's bezels are becoming increasingly worrying, and both LG and T-Mobile won't acknowledge its a known issue despite it apparently being kind of widespread.

Dare I suggest wait for the Samsungs?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I am going to rack up 21,000 physical air miles in the first half of April in a whole different part of the world than I usually go. I think you get the upgrade nag screen, but that was a while ago, I've never had to upgrade my 2013 X since it came out and I know Motorola does things a bit differently. I'm tempted to root it now just to avoid the whole headache. 4.4.4 runs really fast and reliably, and upgrading to 5.0.1 from 4.4.4 just trashed my G so I am extra paranoid.

According to this page:

quote:

You can easily freeze the OTA update or the FOTA update for Motorola mobile phones by going to this location in the phone \etc\security and then renaming the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak. Till now there are no apps for disabling the OTA notification in android mobile phones. You will need to do it manually in your Moto X.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Variable_H posted:

what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile?

Nexus 6.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Dare I suggest wait for the Samsungs?

I've used two Samsung phones before, a Galaxy S4 and a Note 3, both started getting laggy and crashy on me, the Note did so during a time I absolutely needed the phone to work. I also loathe touchwiz, so they could make the greatest phone man has ever known and I wouldn't purchase one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Variable_H posted:

According to this page: in the phone \etc\security and then renaming the otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak

Thanks, I will root tomorrow and give that a try. That did not come up in any of my search results.

Before I root, where the heck are the photos stored on the X? File/Photo sync with Windows 8 doesn't seem to work for whatever reason. I wish I could just mount this thing like a normal USB drive like my old Nexus S. MTP seems to be trying to solve a problem that nobody was asking about.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Thanks, I will root tomorrow and give that a try. That did not come up in any of my search results.

Before I root, where the heck are the photos stored on the X? File/Photo sync with Windows 8 doesn't seem to work for whatever reason. I wish I could just mount this thing like a normal USB drive like my old Nexus S. MTP seems to be trying to solve a problem that nobody was asking about.
Back them up to Google?

Variable_H posted:

I've used two Samsung phones before, a Galaxy S4 and a Note 3, both started getting laggy and crashy on me, the Note did so during a time I absolutely needed the phone to work. I also loathe touchwiz, so they could make the greatest phone man has ever known and I wouldn't purchase one.
For what it's worth the white Nexus 5 cracks in exactly the same way (both of mine cracked where the SIM goes in).

You won't regret Motorola, either the X or the N6.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So after updating my Nexus 6 to 5.1 I've actually had an INCREASE of media apps being kicked out of memory while in use, both TuneIn as well as a local independent radio stations app. This did not happen before the update. Can't Google implement a simple "is this device using sound?" check before the OS kicks it out of memory? I'm no programmer but surely this would be an easy fix, but Google...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Variable_H posted:

Did the Verge rate it 9/10 just because it's the M9, like they did with their Windows 8.1 review?

They gave it a 8.3.

I'll probably still get the M9 since I skipped the 8 and just don't care for the Galaxy. The M9 is going to do great I think but I'm sure HTC will change it up again for the M10.

That is assuming HTC doesn't close for good because according to /r/Android the M9 is the worst phone in the world.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hadlock posted:

5.1 is for the 2014 Moto X, not the 2013. 5.02 is due out for the 2013 soon though so I suppose your concerns are still valid.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Reading that anandtech review, it seems like most of the M9 issues come down to the 810 not being a great phone SoC. Seems like unless you need a phone, sitting this out and waiting for Qualcomm's custom architected stuff next generation might be the right move.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Variable_H posted:

So apparently with the M9 being not good/somewhat worse than the M8, what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile?

Sony Xperia Z3.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Sony Xperia Z3.

Or Z3c, if you're into that sort of thing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I'm about to leave Verizon for Sprint. Their "cut your bill in half" ploy has gripped me, and Verizon has legitimately lovely service at my house. What is the top-of-the-line Sprint Android device these days? LG G3? HTC One M8? Motorola something? I'm using a Galaxy S4 right now, and while I like it, I'm not enamored with Samsung. My first 2 Droids were HTC because they were the best at the time, but I'm not completely brand loyal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Get a Nexus 6 so you'll be able to use it on another carrier when you leave Sprint after 6 months for lovely service.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

Get a Nexus 6 so you'll be able to use it on another carrier when you leave Sprint after 6 months for lovely service.

Yeah, this. If you think Verizon is bad and you want to run to the warm embrace of Sprint's billing gimmicks, you have got another thing coming.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So I'm about to leave Verizon for Sprint. Their "cut your bill in half" ploy has gripped me, and Verizon has legitimately lovely service at my house. What is the top-of-the-line Sprint Android device these days? LG G3? HTC One M8? Motorola something? I'm using a Galaxy S4 right now, and while I like it, I'm not enamored with Samsung. My first 2 Droids were HTC because they were the best at the time, but I'm not completely brand loyal.

Go to T-Mobile or something instead because Sprint is absolute garbage. I'm saying this as an ex-Sprint customer of like 10 years.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Leave it for T-Mobile instead

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So, same question for T-Mobile.. :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So, same question for T-Mobile.. :)

You could go ahead and just get a One M9 if you want to use that but depending on which review you read it's only slightly better than the M8 or all around worse than the M8.

There's also the Galaxy S6 which I'm hearing is pretty good. But blah blah Samsung etc etc. I dunno.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Skeezy posted:

You could go ahead and just get a One M9 if you want to use that but depending on which review you read it's only slightly better than the M8 or all around worse than the M8.

There's also the Galaxy S6 which I'm hearing is pretty good. But blah blah Samsung etc etc. I dunno.

If both are better than the S4, will I really know the difference?

I realize the Galaxy line is solid, but I'm kinda done with Samsung for now I think..

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New Leaf posted:

If both are better than the S4, will I really know the difference?

I realize the Galaxy line is solid, but I'm kinda done with Samsung for now I think..

Then you have other options, M8/M9 could be nice. Sony Z3 or Z3C depending on if you want a smaller phone. I've heard the G3 is pretty nice also.

e. Personally I'm going for the M9. I skipped out on the M8 since I had the Nexus 5 and I just all around prefer HTC. They have never been bad to me so it's what I like.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Then you have other options, M8/M9 could be nice. Sony Z3 or Z3C depending on if you want a smaller phone. I've heard the G3 is pretty nice also.

e. Personally I'm going for the M9. I skipped out on the M8 since I had the Nexus 5 and I just all around prefer HTC. They have never been bad to me so it's what I like.

I've been leaning G3. I don't want smaller than my S4, I know that.

tongboy
May 1, 2003
paid like a dork
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Go to T-Mobile or something instead because Sprint is absolute garbage. I'm saying this as an ex-Sprint customer of like 10 years.

Depending on where you live or use the phone that is not so true anymore.

In the Chicago area, Sprint is outstanding. I wouldn't have been able to say that a year ago.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

New Leaf posted:

So I'm about to leave Verizon for Sprint. Their "cut your bill in half" ploy

Wasn't the definition of half discovered to really mean like 20%? Instant bad start to a terrible company. If that's not enough of a red flag then I don't know.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tongboy posted:

Depending on where you live or use the phone that is not so true anymore.

In the Chicago area, Sprint is outstanding. I wouldn't have been able to say that a year ago.

Oh word? I've never heard someone say Sprint is outstanding anywhere but it's nice that they are slowly (s...l...o...w...l...y) getting better at stuff.

I'm in Miami and Sprint is absolute trash. Got super tired of not being able to stream or even show someone a Youtube video without it buffering all the time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hotsauce posted:

Wasn't the definition of half discovered to really mean like 20%? Instant bad start to a terrible company. If that's not enough of a red flag then I don't know.

That's basically what the CFO said, because the "half your bill" was is simply your service charges -- not net of any charges related to buying a phone on a 24 month plan.

http://recode.net/2014/12/03/sprints-crazy-cut-your-bill-in-half-promo-actually-saves-customers-20-percent/

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

hotsauce posted:

The online quote thing where you upload your bill said it would drop it a ton. We're phone junkies but not data power-users. We're on like 2 gigs of shared data on Verizon and we've never come close to going over. Even with the basic 2-line family plan we're spending like $150 a month. Sprint claims they can do something like $58 before taxes and fees, which is insane. I didn't read all the fine print though.

Also, we're in NC, if it matters. Sprint coverage is pretty inclusive here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mogomra posted:

Is there any way to tell if a random USB cable will work with a Motorala Turbo Charger? The one that came with mine is just a little too short. I don't need it for data or anything, strictly charging. I'd be happy with anything from Monoprice, but I'm sitting on a few more days of an Amazon Prime trail, and some Amazon gift cards as well.

Will something like this just work? I really have no idea.

E: I guess the question I should be asking is what the hell gauge cable am I looking for? The one I linked is apparently 28/21, but I can't figure out what came with my charger.

Mooktastical posted:

I use an Amazon Basics cable with my Z3c and it still charges at Quick Charge 2.0 speed.

z06ck posted:

No good way as far as I'm aware. The cable that came with mine went to poo poo fairly quick and stopped charging at turbo speeds. It was definitely the cable and not the charger. I switched it out with the one from my HTC one m7 and that one is good to go Gauge of cable doesn't seem to matter.

That poo poo is cheap, just buy it and found out. If not it'll be a spare for something else.

I just want to follow up/close the discussion about stupid USB cables.

I was looking at the Amazon Basics USB cable, but there were reviews that said recently purchased cables seemed to be thinner, and didn't support Turbo/Fast/whatever charging. I don't know if they're accurate reviews, but I decided to stay away from them.

I did end up buying the cable that I linked, and tested it with Ampere. The cable that came with my charger seemed to be maxing out at 1880mA, where this cable hit a max of 1900mA. I didn't do any averages or anything, but they seem pretty darn equal to me. The only question left is whether or not the cable holds up, or fries itself in a few days. For now, I'm happy with it.

tl;dr: As far as I can tell, that's a decent cable if you want to replace whatever came with your fast charger.