Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DX1 has different objectives to complete throughout the final room, each leads to a different ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't the original Deus Ex work in exactly the same way? Invisible War too, for that matter.

I think the original has you make a choice before the final boss, and that boss changes basedon the choice. Again, I could be very wrong so I defer to the internet.

Efb on the new page

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't the original Deus Ex work in exactly the same way? Invisible War too, for that matter.

invisible war kind of
1) team up with illuminati
2) stay with who you picked from the start of the game / options to swap sides during game
3) say gently caress both of them

the very final end just has you kill jcd no matter what tho, just changes who you fight along the way. pretty hosed up.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

invisible war kind of
2) stay with who you picked from the start of the game / options to swap sides during game

the very final end just has you kill jcd no matter what tho, just changes who you fight along the way. pretty hosed up.

I thought there were 4 endings in Invisible War. I remember distinctly picking the ending where the world ends up turning to dust and the only people who survive the cataclysm are the Omaar, who are the least Human of the bunch.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
All of Metal Gear Solid 4.

There is a part where snake crawls through a microwave while picture in picture otacon cries into a 2007 era macbook pro. This is the climax of the story.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

im pooping! posted:

I thought there were 4 endings in Invisible War. I remember distinctly picking the ending where the world ends up turning to dust and the only people who survive the cataclysm are the Omaar, who are the least Human of the bunch.

well i guess you can pick something after killing jcd, i wouldnt know because the fight was too hard

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

THE PENETRATOR posted:

invisible war kind of

This is mostly wrong and JCDs ending is both awesome and the most in line with the themes of the game.

Besides, the real troll in IW is universal ammo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Asehujiko posted:

Funny you should mention these back to back. What Rocksteady did was have the "pirate" code on the disk, which would get spread through torrents, then quietly release a patch for official copies through GFWL fixing it. What actually happened was that pirates also got their hand on patch 1.01 and cracked it while GFWL poo poo the bed in a bunch of regions, leaving legitimate buyers stuck with the broken version unless they installed the cracked patch over it.

Iron Lore's game Titan Quest. The game could crash 5 minutes in if played before the street date. This DRM was not disabled for review copies. Nor for time zones were the game was released early.

Troll DRM rarely ends up trolling anybody but the false positive victims and/or developer.

Titan's Quest had another great feature that could really end up trolling the player. Titan's Quest is a Diablo like ARPG but to make it more interesting the monster use the weapons they drop. So if you see a random goatman running around with a flaming sword its probably a rare or better weapon the player can get their hands on. Titan's Quest also had a really good physic engine so critical hitting a monster could send it corpse/bones flying all over the place. Along with this when a monster dies its items pop out of it body......and possibly right over the cliff it died neer to never to be seen again. With a couple of boss it was possible to kill, it see some unique/legendary item pop up, and then fly forever lost over a cliff edge as the item just following the logic of the physic engine.

They later patched this out but it was super annoying to have it happen.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of "unwinnable early game fights" from earlier, I remember playing Baldur's Gate when I was 8. After a brief tutorial section, you and your foster father Gorion leave suddenly in the middle of the night and are quickly waylaid by the main villain Sarevok and some goons. Gorion is a decently-leveled wizard but it's very much a standard "your mentor does tragically, giving you early motivation" situation.

A few things, though: first, I was too young to realize that this specific narrative trope was happening. Second, the fight takes place within the game engine, with damage numbers displayed if you have them enabled. Third, I had one of those Prima strategy guides that listed Sarevok's HP as 135, and after reading through the battle log and doing some arithmetic I realized that, holy poo poo, Gorion lost but only barely.

So I did the only thing I could do to save my cool wizard dad: I reloaded the game over and over until the RNG favored Gorion enough that he won a round. And eventually, he did! He did 135 damage to Sarevok after running out of spells and getting a few lucky dagger hits. Sarevok's death sound played, he fell down... and then his model got back up and he got Gorion another time or two and killed him.

I cried for like an hour.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rrussom posted:

Starbound

Could someone explain this one?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

Could someone explain this one?

Bunch of Goons bought Starbound, an Early Access game, and now will not shut the gently caress up about how much of an Early Access game it is. Like, constantly. There are people who post nowhere but the Starbound thread just to keep going on about how little they care.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

DX1 has different objectives to complete throughout the final room, each leads to a different ending.

Human Revolution does too, you have to do certain things with Sarif/Darrow to unlock their choices in the last room.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Human Revolution does too, you have to do certain things with Sarif/Darrow to unlock their choices in the last room.
Eh. It seems a little different when the final choice is at the very last moment, even if you have to do stuff beforehand to enable that choice.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All of these descriptions of 'trolls' in Metal Gear Solid four make it sound incredibly awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fsmhunk posted:

All of these descriptions of 'trolls' in Metal Gear Solid four make it sound incredibly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdjLBYxAcUI

The microwave hallway has an amazing cutscene but it itself is boring as poo poo.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

On the topic of "unwinnable early game fights" from earlier, I remember playing Baldur's Gate when I was 8. After a brief tutorial section, you and your foster father Gorion leave suddenly in the middle of the night and are quickly waylaid by the main villain Sarevok and some goons. Gorion is a decently-leveled wizard but it's very much a standard "your mentor does tragically, giving you early motivation" situation.

A few things, though: first, I was too young to realize that this specific narrative trope was happening. Second, the fight takes place within the game engine, with damage numbers displayed if you have them enabled. Third, I had one of those Prima strategy guides that listed Sarevok's HP as 135, and after reading through the battle log and doing some arithmetic I realized that, holy poo poo, Gorion lost but only barely.

So I did the only thing I could do to save my cool wizard dad: I reloaded the game over and over until the RNG favored Gorion enough that he won a round. And eventually, he did! He did 135 damage to Sarevok after running out of spells and getting a few lucky dagger hits. Sarevok's death sound played, he fell down... and then his model got back up and he got Gorion another time or two and killed him.

I cried for like an hour.

Similar thing for me with the second game, although it wasn't a troll on the developers part. I was convinced there was some way to stop Imoen getting captured so I spent a while experimenting with different ideas. Forcing her to use all of her spells up so she couldn't be arrested for magic, kicking her out of the party at the last minute, trying to kill her off beforehand so I could just resurrect her after the cutscene.

Catastrophics has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Mar 23, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I just realized that there was a MGS4 that wasn't the sword one with nano-machines, and its PS3 only.

I couldn't figure out for a long time why they jumped to 5 and what I missed.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Fsmhunk posted:

Anything that directly involves Snake himself taking care of poo poo is badass. The other 60 hours are pretty safe to zone out through, though.

KoRMaK posted:

I just realized that there was a MGS4 that wasn't the sword one with nano-machines, and its PS3 only.

Oh it has nano-machines. It will never stop reminding you about the nano-machines.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pneub posted:

Anything that directly involves Snake himself taking care of poo poo is badass. The other 60 hours are pretty safe to zone out through, though.

Only if by 'Snake' you also mean 'Raiden', who is so absurdly, hilariously awesome that they gave him an entire game.

If there's something that really gives Kojima an edge, though, it's how much gusto he puts into his trolling. He could (and it could be argued, actually did) make a game dedicated to the message of 'gently caress my playerbase' into an engaging, entertaining experience.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Also him.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Kojima's rear end Fetish would be an awesome username.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Raiden is a really whiny baby in MGS4 though.

"It even rained on the day I was born :qq:"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Internet Kraken posted:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but then he gets his arms ripped off and proceeds to swordfight while biting the handle, so I think it's a wash.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

he was the lightning in that rain, tho

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Yeah but then he gets his arms ripped off and proceeds to swordfight while biting the handle, so I think it's a wash.

How did Kojima get hold of my Metal Gear X One Piece fan-fiction?

Everything in the Serious Sam series involving crates (such as the Crate Bus), were included just to troll Old Man Murray. This comes from both the Crate Review System and also this interview where Croteam CEO Roman Ribaric doesn't know what the english word "crate" means.

I don't know if the second part of this is fact, but I like to imagine it is: When writing Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, series creator Shu Takumi wanted to focus on the new lead and not include Phoenix Wright at all, but was made to include him anyway. As such, although Phoenix is in the game, he's now a deadbeat dad who was disbarred from law 7 years ago, and makes a living by using his (adopted) daughter to help him cheat in illegal poker games. Also he's now kind of a dick.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After finally getting Aria of Sorrow on the EU eShop, I found a troll I had completely forgotten about.

The game has a system where every enemy can drop it's soul, allowing you to use it's powers. These souls can have a drop chance from anywhere as low as a couple of percent to 100% for boss souls. To be a completionist in this game means getting all of the souls.

Enter: The Sky Fish.

At one point in the game when you're dicking around in some underground reservoirs, a couple of screens have this weird flash of light zooming past you after entering the room. It's only for a few couple of frames so it can almost be hard to miss, but if you do notice them there's nothing you can do. Moving on, if you're already into map completion, you'll later find an optional area where you fight the incredibly creepy Legion only to get a cryptic soul that says "Recognize places in which time has been stopped"; another piece of the puzzle. At this point, hopefully you remember a clock-carrying rabbit you met way earlier in the game in another side area that stopped time and ran away as you approached it; this is the Chronomage and you're now immune to it's time-stopping shenanigans. Using your newly acquired soul you now need to farm this Chronomage (the single one in the game) for it's soul (perhaps as low as 5% drop rate), as it's soul allows you to stop time! You haven't forgotten the flash of light yet, right?

So you move back to the reservoir (the other end of the map), find the room with the flashing light... and now the real fun begins. You now have to activate the Time Stop soul as soon as you see the flash, giving you a generous 11 frames. That's less than 0.2 seconds. It would be wrong to say it's gone "in the blink of an eye", because it's even faster than that. Oh, and it can come from either the left or the right! And if you miss? Well, using the soul costs mana.. and it's one of the more expensive souls to use, giving you a limited amount of tries before you have to backtrack to the nearest save room some 10 rooms away.

But let's say you managed to stop time right as the flash goes by; there's now a weird mollusc-like flying creature still moving across your screen, just a bit slower. If you were unlucky it's heading offscreen (and probably laughing at you), but if you caught it just right you now have a couple of seconds before your time stop runs out to chase it and kill it. Hurray! ...Well, if it wasn't for drop rates. Giving this thing a 100% drop rate on its soul would obviously be too easy, instead it's around 10-15% so have fun doing the 11-frame time stop over.. and over... and over.
:suicide:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Your Computer posted:

After finally getting Aria of Sorrow on the EU eShop, I found a troll I had completely forgotten about.

The game has a system where every enemy can drop it's soul, allowing you to use it's powers. These souls can have a drop chance from anywhere as low as a couple of percent to 100% for boss souls. To be a completionist in this game means getting all of the souls.

At one point in the game when you're dicking around in some underground reservoirs, a couple of screens have this weird flash of light zooming past you after entering the room. It's only for a few couple of frames so it can almost be hard to miss, but if you do notice them there's nothing you can do. Moving on, if you're already into map completion, you'll later find an optional area where you fight the incredibly creepy Legion only to get a cryptic soul that says "Recognize places in which time has been stopped"; another piece of the puzzle. At this point, hopefully you remember a clock-carrying rabbit you met way earlier in the game in another side area that stopped time and ran away as you approached it; this is the Chronomage and you're now immune to it's time-stopping shenanigans. Using your newly acquired soul you now need to farm this Chronomage (the single one in the game) for it's soul (perhaps as low as 5% drop rate), as it's soul allows you to stop time! You haven't forgotten the flash of light yet, right?

So you move back to the reservoir (the other end of the map), find the room with the flashing light... and now the real fun begins. You now have to activate the Time Stop soul as soon as you see the flash, giving you a generous 11 frames. That's less than 0.2 seconds. It would be wrong to say it's gone "in the blink of an eye", because it's even faster than that. Oh, and it can come from either the left or the right! And if you miss? Well, using the soul costs mana.. and it's one of the more expensive souls to use, giving you a limited amount of tries before you have to backtrack to the nearest save room some 10 rooms away.

But let's say you managed to stop time right as the flash goes by; there's now a weird mollusc-like flying creature still moving across your screen, just a bit slower. If you were unlucky it's heading offscreen (and probably laughing at you), but if you caught it just right you now have a couple of seconds before your time stop runs out to chase it and kill it. Hurray! ...Well, if it wasn't for drop rates. Giving this thing a 100% drop rate on its soul would obviously be too easy, instead it's around 10-15% so have fun doing the 11-frame time stop over.. and over... and over.

What does the Skyfish's soul do?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What does the Skyfish's soul do?

4 second stat boost :negative:

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Doesn't every Metroidvania have an enemy like that with a rare drop? I think Circle of the Moon had the Skeleton athlete and Order of Ecclesia had Bigfoot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Doesn't every Metroidvania have an enemy like that with a rare drop? I think Circle of the Moon had the Skeleton athlete and Order of Ecclesia had Bigfoot.

Well, Metroid games don't have "drops", really. Instead they have the occasional obtuse hidden upgrade puzzle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Metroid Prime games do have a few missable scans, though. Most make a fair amount of sense (computers on a spaceship that's going to crash, bosses only fought once) so you don't really have anybody to blame but yourself, but others... two from the original stand out in my mind.

1. Missile doors. Locks that break when you shoot at them; they don't respawn, and stop appearing fairly quickly since missiles are the first item you get. By the time you realize that might have been what you missed, and why it might be nice to get 100% scan data, you've long destroyed all the missile locks.

2. I'm a bit hazy on this one, but I believe it's the Ice Shriekbats. An enemy that only appears in a single room until you get a certain item... that you're on your way to getting when you first go into the room. They look identical to an extremely common enemy, too, so you can easily not even notice that they're basically a one-off scan.

Prime 2 and 3 thankfully removed log book entries for stuff like missile doors, but I definitely remember Prime 2 pulling that second one as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It is indeed the Ice Shriekbats. They are an rear end in a top hat enemy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's also that organic Ing barrier in 2 that closes you in one of the very first Ing World fights in the game. It only appears in that fight and its not obvious that its an actual enemy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Speaking of handheld Castlevania titles, Order Of Ecclesia is a hot bag of garbage and I am gobsmacked when I hear people praise it. I wrote up a bunch of words about how I hated their reuse of locations/room layouts, but watching through a long play I can't help but feel like the biggest troll is the reuse of enemy sprites. That's not isolated to Ecclesia, but when the series is still cribbing off of Symphony of the Night after five iterations, it just feels like a smack to the face.

On the same topic, triple-A mega RPG Dragon Age 2 and it's one cave that was copy/pasted one hundred different times. Not that the cave is DA2's only misgiving, but how does having one cave for most cave-related events get green-lit as the proper way to populate a cave-heavy locale. I guess the only voice of reason in the room against the cave eventually... buckled.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The developers of Wizardry 8 just love to throw hoards of monsters at you after leaving the starting dungeon, which lulled the player into a safe sense of security as combat there wasn't so bad, just small groups of low hp monsters. Get outside and suddenly your party is swarmed by a dozen or so hundred-HP enemies every couple steps. And they're level scaled so it gets worse as your party levels up. The road to the first town is a huge spike in difficulty and once you actually get to the town? It's not even safe as it's swarming with hostile bandits and robots. At least they're easier to defeat. I swear Sirtech made this game to hate the player. Despite that it's a really fun old school CRPG, just be ready for long obnoxious combats.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The updated version of final fantasy tactics for the psp and iOS adds a bunch of content to the game. All of that content is udder bullshit.

They added a unique item. The only way to get it is to keep two completely generic female knight that offer to join your army at the start of chapter 2. But to put it in context at the start of chapter 2, two unique characters and about 5 generic characters offer to join your army. You get absolutely no warning that these two characters do anything special. And then to get the item have to be at a certain location on at certain day (one character's birthday). Again with no hints to why you would were do this.

Then they added two new classes, the onion knight and the black knight. However if you spend most of the game grinding to the point where everything in the game was joke, you still won't be 1/4 the way to unlocking the black knight. The onion knight is easy to unlock but is utter poo poo until that character has mastered about half the classes in the game. I would be surprised if any one character in your army has mastered two classes by the time you completely beat the game. In other words you need to spend hundreds of hours of grinding to make these classes usable/useful. And by that time you have do that, there literally nothing to use those characters on. Also the only way to get their equipment is through multiplayer, which was not included in the iOS version.

Also for funnies, they made most of the classes harder to unlock compared to the English play station 1 release. Basically they upped the level requires for all the jobs by 1. And for context getting to level 4 on a class takes more experience than getting to level 2 and 3 combined. And again level 5 takes more experience than level 2, 3, and 4 combined. So now you have to grind longer in what was already a grindy game!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

2. I'm a bit hazy on this one, but I believe it's the Ice Shriekbats. An enemy that only appears in a single room until you get a certain item... that you're on your way to getting when you first go into the room. They look identical to an extremely common enemy, too, so you can easily not even notice that they're basically a one-off scan.

Prime 2 and 3 thankfully removed log book entries for stuff like missile doors, but I definitely remember Prime 2 pulling that second one as well.

Prime 3 had a really bad one too. It only shows up one time in one room and there are about 5 kinds of reskinned versions of that enemy you've already seen, so you probably aren't about to try to scan this thing on first glance. And it too is a shriekbat, which for those who don't know is an enemy that hangs on the ceiling and then flies down to suicide explode on you when you get close. Except these ones can't be scanned until you get close enough for them to already start flying at you, and they're so fast that you'll never get them in time unless you already have your scan visor out waiting for them.

That's such a small thing compared to all the things prime 3 did wrong though, although it is related to one of them--Half of the enemies in the game are almost identical to others, compared to the very diverse list of enemies in the first two games. You can make a different unique enemy in the game with basically any combination of the words "assault," "shield," "flying," "armored," "trooper," etc and then sticking "pirate" on the end. And you fight all of them the exact same way except for shield dudes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Also for funnies, they made most of the classes harder to unlock compared to the English play station 1 release. Basically they upped the level requires for all the jobs by 1. And for context getting to level 4 on a class takes more experience than getting to level 2 and 3 combined. And again level 5 takes more experience than level 2, 3, and 4 combined. So now you have to grind longer in what was already a grindy game!
I was not aware of this, but this... this is not a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shwqa posted:

The updated version of final fantasy tactics for the psp and iOS adds a bunch of content to the game. All of that content is udder bullshit.

They added a unique item. The only way to get it is to keep two completely generic female knight that offer to join your army at the start of chapter 2. But to put it in context at the start of chapter 2, two unique characters and about 5 generic characters offer to join your army. You get absolutely no warning that these two characters do anything special. And then to get the item have to be at a certain location on at certain day (one character's birthday). Again with no hints to why you would were do this.

Then they added two new classes, the onion knight and the black knight. However if you spend most of the game grinding to the point where everything in the game was joke, you still won't be 1/4 the way to unlocking the black knight. The onion knight is easy to unlock but is utter poo poo until that character has mastered about half the classes in the game. I would be surprised if any one character in your army has mastered two classes by the time you completely beat the game. In other words you need to spend hundreds of hours of grinding to make these classes usable/useful. And by that time you have do that, there literally nothing to use those characters on. Also the only way to get their equipment is through multiplayer, which was not included in the iOS version.

Well to be fair, I'm pretty sure those generic knights are also the characters you have in your party during the prologue mission. So there's an indication, but it's not great.

The rest of that is hilariously bad though. I remember using gameshark cheats just to speed up job progression to be more tolerable, and that was in the original.

• Locked thread