Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fart Pipe posted:

2 extra tail lights
Coil
Timing cover
Spare tire, jack
Rust free cutouts for the Forester
Both calipers
Front hub flanges
A long block

Wouldn't expect anything less. Going to attempt a swap at the half way point of the trip? Congrats on the new toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Charming things of note so far

Shakes violently at 60 but not 65
No low beams but high beams arent very high so that works for now
Cant put sunvisors down without adjusting aftermarket rear view
Struts are probably original
One lug nut on the rear turns but doesn't tighten or loosen
Stereo seems to not working well so were using my phone to listen to metal
Oil smell

Its mint

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 22, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fart Pipe posted:

That one made me laugh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

Oil smell

Its mint

Someone's been watching Roadkill.

Ken, you're a crazy motherfucker. Flying across the country to buy a Justy, of all things. :allears:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fart Pipe posted:

Charming things of note so far

Oil smell

Its mint

Oh poo poo, what's the parts availability like for those cars? Does anyone even make struts for them?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The engine was torn apart by some fuckass for the balance shaft, so I got it as an emergency build-a-new-engine-in-the-breakdown-lane parts collection. Bores look great and the rod bearings feel tight, it spins freely with the head off.

So we are grabbing a few more parts tomorrow morning and a full engine gasket kit at the oreilly a friend of mine works at. Hope we don't have to use it.

As for longblock, I picked it up out of the car myself with the flywheel/clutch/PP stuck to the end. I think it would fit in a carryon luggage bag. Can that really be considered a longblock? :v:

The clutch is actually smaller than the rotors. Previous previous owner allegedly had this, and included it when he sold it to the previous owner?
Who knows.

We are chilling with Noeland atm, probably hitting the yard tomorrow at 9am opening, then heading to the parts store again to pick up the gasket set and anything else we find wrong.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Beach Bum posted:

That cannot be a real loving gas station chain. I refuse to believe it. This is a setup and you are actors.

I'd never heard of them either until I was in Arkansas several years ago. By far the most prevalent chain along the highways.

A friend of mine is from Colorado, and she informed me a couple of years ago that not only did they have them in Colorado, she also used to work at one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Well that was unexpected. I guess I overestimated the amount of space you would need to fit an entire drivetrain, tools, and four wheels and tires. When everything has a maximum dimension of 13" I guess it's not too hard. Now I see what you mean by comparing it to Dr. Dick's Civic.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leica posted:

Did you finally find a Justy? IIRC you were looking for one.

Do I win a prize if I guessed right :3:

kastein posted:

Those are absolutely impossible to find and they're all either rotted the gently caress out or FWD/CVT :sigh:

I would drive everywhere in one of those tiny little shoeboxes.

Nice call leica

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, he called it, a few people guessed Tremek's Honda. I tried to get ACEofsnett to buy it at the same time but his tax refund hasn't come in yet and he'd get fired for calling out of work that much :(

We are about to go back to the yard for parts to rebuild second gear on the transmission (synchro is hosed) or maybe say gently caress it and just get the whole transmission for spare parts even though it is FWD. Only the final drive, case, and diff are different so the rest of the parts should be fine.

1/4 of Noeland's merc and elco also in picture

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 22, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't even know Subaru made them in a four (5) door. Learn something new everyday.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

:vince: This was the post that kept on giving.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

:vince: This was the post that kept on giving.

I have charged Fart Pipe with the solemn duty of never letting kastein pull those stickers off.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

leica posted:

I didn't even know Subaru made them in a four (5) door. Learn something new everyday.

Same! Hell it looks way newer than any justy I've ever seen...

I take it the car is so under powered that skipping 2nd is not an option? Aren't you used to double clutching the 2.5ton? How are the ergonomics for a giant?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So we went back and picked up the transmission today. The extra weight has really quieted the vibration at 60. Didnt help acceleration or handling, however.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Wrar posted:

Put a 2.2 in and turbo it.

You beat me to this suggestion, though admittedly I'm not sure how much the Justy benefits from the lego like interchangeability of later Subarus

leica posted:

I was trying to figure out why it seemed so unusual and now that I think of it, I don't know that I've ever even see a picture of one with the extra doors.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

There is no way you can put ej junk in these. Way too much is different. It's not even a pancake motor.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I can see subaru actually designing a 3-cylinder boxer, though....

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

The foreshortening makes you look more like a cryptozoological monster. Nice.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah as an Arkansan Kum and Go (Ejaculate and Evacuate) are everywhere here. I guess I never really stopped to consider they're not a national chain. I can see why someone would think they stumbled into some cartoon alternate reality. :v:

Cool car, too. Never remove that sticker.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The sticker stays, no worries about that.

Ergo isn't bad, the steering wheel could be an inch or two higher. Otherwise, quite alright really.

No way an EJ will go in, this has a transverse I3 that fits in a milk crate as a shortblock.

It is maintaining 70mph justy fine (:v::v:) and seems to like 3200-4k rpm the most.

First gear is hilariously deep.

Subaru did design a 3cyl boxer, it starts out as a. 2.5L four and ends up as a 1.9L three :v:

E: oh yeah we drove by a massive coal train derailment along i76 an hour or two ago. Looked like they pulled a knuckle, went into emergency and a car jumped the rails.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 22, 2015

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
So will the Justy be receiving any... "adjustments" to the suspension?

:getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No adjustments of that sort, I want my fuel economy staying where it is. We are getting somewhere between 30 and 35mpg right now at something like 4-5k elevation with 450lbs of people and probably 500lbs of parts and tools on board. Once I get it out of maintenance debt and back down to a few hundred feet above sea level I wouldn't be surprised to see 40+. I got this one as a 4x4 5 speed fuel sipper for my 140 mile commute that involves 100' of unplowed dirt road in the winter, not to turn into an offroad toy, sadly.

E: if anyone is near Parker CO and needs parts for fun toys, this is us crashing the party in the Parker O'Reilly employee parking area. I've posted the J10 before - my friend who moved to CO built it, and works there. His reaction to me walking up unannounced and asking for an engine regasket kit for a subaru justy was about what you would expect.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 22, 2015

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

No adjustments of that sort, I want my fuel economy staying where it is. We are getting somewhere between 30 and 35mpg right now at something like 4-5k elevation with 450lbs of people and probably 500lbs of parts and tools on board. Once I get it out of maintenance debt and back down to a few hundred feet above sea level I wouldn't be surprised to see 40+. I got this one as a 4x4 5 speed fuel sipper for my 140 mile commute that involves 100' of unplowed dirt road in the winter, not to turn into an offroad toy, sadly.

E: if anyone is near Parker CO and needs parts for fun toys, this is us crashing the party in the Parker O'Reilly employee parking area. I've posted the J10 before - my friend who moved to CO built it, and works there. His reaction to me walking up unannounced and asking for an engine regasket kit for a subaru justy was about what you would expect.

Should have let me know you guys were coming down today, that's 3 miles away.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

E: oh yeah we drove by a massive coal train derailment along i76 an hour or two ago. Looked like they pulled a knuckle, went into emergency and a car jumped the rails.

A friend sent me the link to that, it looks like a serious loving mess. 10-15 cars derailed, so something like 4-6000 tons spilled. Woops.

We had the Justy here in Australia as the Sherpa and then the Fiori, both as 3-door hatchbacks. Fun fact: the Fiori was deemed to be the least safe car on Australian roads in a recent study. I'd probably still DD a supercharged one though :v: Maybe think of that as an engine choice, although I'm not sure where you'd get one over there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

drat! Wish I had realized that. We ordered the gasket set there last night, only one in the district, and had to go back to get it today.before hitting the highway.

We are currently going through gothenburg NE. Probably gonna make it to the des moines area by around midnight.

There is some sort of screwy grounding issue in the car, it doesn't appear to affect driveability at all but the fuel gauge fluctuates by up to 1/4 of a tank depending on what accessories are running, what engine speed, and whether you are facing uphill or downhill. Gonna have to go through the electrical system when we get back I guess.

E: Fart Pipe got some good pics of the train crash, too

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 23, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Lost data access on my phone for a few hours there but I figured out how to get the slow kind for now. We are now just inside Iowa. Cant decide if its just paranoia but the engine doesn't seem to sound as happy as it used to. Sitting in a gas station parking lot right now giving it a rest to see what it sounds like once it cools off a little. It might not have liked 500 miles at 4k rpms.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
This is such a cool adventure.

Be safe, guys!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

We just took a break at a rest stop for a few hours, engine seems fine so we were probably just being paranoid. Just went through Des Moines and hope to drive at least the daylight hours.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

edit: beaten ^^^^^

Fart Pipe posted:

Lost data access on my phone for a few hours there but I figured out how to get the slow kind for now. We are now just inside Iowa. Cant decide if its just paranoia but the engine doesn't seem to sound as happy as it used to. Sitting in a gas station parking lot right now giving it a rest to see what it sounds like once it cools off a little. It might not have liked 500 miles at 4k rpms.

While ChrisGT comments "looks like I get to watch roadkill twice this month, I texted pipkin:

Fart Pipe posted:

It's fine, we were being paranoid. We spooned for a few hours in a rest stop and just started driving again"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Chicago AI goons: we should hit chicago around 5pm.

This poor thing is getting 24mpg at this point, probably because I've been hammer down maintaining 70 through the hills of iowa with a LOT of parts in the back.

Bug me or Fart Pipe on facebook or via PM, I am driving so preferably him as my responses may be delayed.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Keep on keepin' on! When do you think you get home, late Wednesday?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

some texas redneck posted:

I'd never heard of them either until I was in Arkansas several years ago. By far the most prevalent chain along the highways.

A friend of mine is from Colorado, and she informed me a couple of years ago that not only did they have them in Colorado, she also used to work at one.

They're based out of Des Moines, and are everywhere here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hopefully earlier, but that is the aim.

:siren: there is a 1991 in the junkyard in chicago! 3455 washington st park city IL, we think we can push and get there an hour before closing. Who wants to join in the fun?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

So are you going to sell the Forester once this is home and your DD?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Isn't that the same model of car that Jackie Chan drove in Cannonball Run?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

An accident got cleared or something, and junkyard arrival is now 1pm estimate.

Shampoo - yeah, after a few months of maintenance catchup that is the plan.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 23, 2015

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

kastein posted:

Shampoo - yeah, after a few months of maintenance catchup that is the plan.

let us know before you put it up, depending on how things jobwise fall out, I'll have need for another car :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

They made it to chicago. Pretty much half way home.