Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I currently have a 250GB Samsung 830 SSD in my computer and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 500GB SSD so I can have more space for games. My question is there software out there I could use to move my OS and games to a new SSD or would I have to re-install Windows 7 and my games from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

spasticColon posted:

I currently have a 250GB Samsung 830 SSD in my computer and I'm thinking about upgrading to a 500GB SSD so I can have more space for games. My question is there software out there I could use to move my OS and games to a new SSD or would I have to re-install Windows 7 and my games from scratch?

http://clonezilla.org/

Basically, this is going to let you boot up from a live Clonezilla CD. That Clonezilla OS is going to then let you copy your old HDD to the SSD block-by-block.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Potato Salad posted:

http://clonezilla.org/

Basically, this is going to let you boot up from a live Clonezilla CD. That Clonezilla OS is going to then let you copy your old HDD to the SSD block-by-block.

Thanks for the quick reply but I would be moving from an old SSD (Samsung 830 250GB) not an old HDD so that won't be an issue will it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spasticColon posted:

Thanks for the quick reply but I would be moving from an old SSD (Samsung 830 250GB) not an old HDD so that won't be an issue will it?

No, it won't be an issue. Seagate's migration tool, Macrium Reflect Free, Clonezilla, etc are all capable of imaging a drive to another drive. There's probably a couple of dozen of other imaging tools that can also do it, but the ones I mentioned seem to come up in the thread a lot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The last two drives (HyperX and 840 Pro) in the mega SSD endurance experiment finally died @ 2.1 and 2.5PB of writes

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kinda concerned that a reboot bricked all the drives there - no read only access.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

wipeout posted:

Kinda concerned that a reboot bricked all the drives there - no read only access.

Agreed. What is the point of a self brick? Surely you'd want any opportunity to retrieve data from a drive no matter how small the chance may be?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am thinking of replacing my 256gb Crucial M4 with something bigger, like 1tb. Which would be preferred, the Mushkin Reactor or the Samsung 850 EVO?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

wipeout posted:

It concerns me, but I also look at it, and these drives were pushed well past their rated specs. They were easily readable well after they started throwing up errors. The odds of most people ever coming close to this are so close to nill, I don't think its a huge issue. And if you are using them for some kind of commercial/enterprise environment, you better have backups.

I'm just impressed how freaking long it took for the 840 Pro and the second Hyper X to die. Very, very good results in my opinion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am thinking of replacing my 256gb Crucial M4 with something bigger, like 1tb. Which would be preferred, the Mushkin Reactor or the Samsung 850 EVO?

The Samsung has a more proven record - the Mushkin uses a relatively unknown Silicon Motion controller paired to Micron 16nm NAND (albeit MLC), which is the same that Crucial is using in the MX200. The reviews show it isn't terrible, but it's also Mushkin's first new SSD in two years' time (other than the new ECO2).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2015

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Samsung has a more proven record - the Mushkin uses a relatively unknown Silicon Motion controller paired to Micron 16nm NAND (albeit MLC), which is the same that Crucial is using in the MX200. The reviews show it isn't terrible, but it's also Mushkin's first new SSD in two years' time (other than the new ECO2).
Crucial is using the Silicon Motion controller in the BX100, their new budget line, and it seems to be getting good-ish reviews, as well. The also new MX200 uses a Marvell controller.

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013
Are there any known issues/things to watch out for regarding the Samsung 850 pro? Is the pro significantly better than the evo ?(i'll still be getting the pro after seeing the endurance test on the 840 pro though). Will i regret getting a 256GB model? Are there any other comparable ssds to consider instead?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Thegrul posted:

Are there any known issues/things to watch out for regarding the Samsung 850 pro? Is the pro significantly better than the evo ?(i'll still be getting the pro after seeing the endurance test on the 840 pro though). Will i regret getting a 256GB model? Are there any other comparable ssds to consider instead?

There was a fw upgrade that bricked some of the pros. Hardly any performance difference between the pro and evo, pro is probably more durable. I think 256GB is large enough for now, unless it's your only drive. You can consider the Intel 730, it has less fw bugs (though I would still go for 850 pro).

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

makere posted:

There was a fw upgrade that bricked some of the pros. Hardly any performance difference between the pro and evo, pro is probably more durable. I think 256GB is large enough for now, unless it's your only drive. You can consider the Intel 730, it has less fw bugs (though I would still go for 850 pro).

I considered the 730, but the slow 240GB version isn't very attractive. I like the power loss protection, and if I were looking for a 512GB ssd I'd certainly want the intel. I'm probably ordering the Samsung 850 pro 256GB tomorrow. I'm not usually one to rush the fw updates. Rather let other people try it out first.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel will launch these on April 1st:

Here's the official countdown.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Now the big question is will my Intel Z68 chipset support or be updated to support NVMe?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tab8715 posted:

Now the big question is will my Intel Z68 chipset support or be updated to support NVMe?

That's not that big a question.

If your mainboard's EFI then maybe, but that's a four year old chipset so either it's a drop-in or do you believe in miracles. If it's BIOS then :rip:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's a Biostar TZ68A+ and supports UEFI but I don't see anything about NVMe.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Then it all depends on if the PCI-E version can tell your firmware what's up. Since NVMe ports are optional on Haswell Refresh boards the standard form factor one is probably a lost cause without an NVMe-to-PCIE cable and I don't even know if that's a thing outside of :retrogames: add-on cards.

I guess wait for someone with more money than sense to try it first.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tab8715 posted:

Unless Intel has some magic juju that'll update the microcode, probably not. Also, if you don't have an early Ivy Bridge chip in your Z68, you don't have PCIe 3.0 anyway, even if you bought a 'Gen3' board. The only way chipsets that don't natively support or can't be updated to support NVMe can *boot* from a drive like the 750 is by getting one of those hacked-together setups made by ASUS or G.Skill that trick the BIOS into thinking they're AHCI-compatible drives.

There isn't anything stopping anyone with a free x4 or better PCIe slot from using these as data drives, though.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Well lookie here. TLC for the masses?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/silicon-motion-sm2256-ssd-preview,4066.html

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Could Samsung use that "triple endurance" TLC with their "double endurance" 3D NAND and put it in something new like the "Samsung 860 EVO"?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomorph posted:

Could Samsung use that "triple endurance" TLC with their "double endurance" 3D NAND and put it in something new like the "Samsung 860 EVO"?

So far TLC has been kind of a let down in the respect that the 840 and 840 EVOs are both crappy drives. MLC 4 LYFE

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

redeyes posted:

So far TLC has been kind of a let down in the respect that the 840 and 840 EVOs are both crappy drives. MLC 4 LYFE

The same 840 EVO that was a top-selling drive and heavily recommended in this thread?

Also, MLC is on its way out. TLC will be the primary NAND used. SLC caches, new ECC methods and "3D" builds will get TLC speed and endurance way up.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

The same 840 EVO that was a top-selling drive and heavily recommended in this thread?

Also, MLC is on its way out. TLC will be the primary NAND used. SLC caches, new ECC methods and "3D" builds will get TLC speed and endurance way up.

Samsung had some firmware issues with their TLC drives that destroyed their performance. Apparently TLC is trickier to get right, but I don't think SanDisk has the same issues so it may be just a Samsung issue. Also, please don't reply to redeyes, he's absolutely obnoxious with his hate of TLC drives.

I will say that TLC SSDs will be marginalized by MLC drives as the latter becomes cheaper and cheaper. Crucial's BX100 and MX200 looks mighty fine for their price, and they're both MLC. As a matter of fact, there is no decent drive meaningfully cheaper than the Crucial BX100 in the American market at the moment. Unless Micron is eating up some loss with each sale, I think Samsung should go that route since their two previous attempts with TLC has gone a little poo poo (from a consumer point of view).

Actually, has anyone with a SSD from SanDisk's Ultra series experienced any of those slowdown?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Intel, Samsung or bust

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Any external SSD recommendations here? Performance isn't the biggest concern, but reliability is.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Can't enable rapid mode from Samsung magician on Windows 10 preview. How much performance am I losing?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Is that because it cant detect the OS correctly? I was just about to give the preview a try, but might hold off for a bit

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

dud root posted:

Is that because it cant detect the OS correctly? I was just about to give the preview a try, but might hold off for a bit

Yup. Says it right in the box below the greyed out enable button.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Try running in compat mode?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Don Lapre posted:

Try running in compat mode?

Don't know why I didn't think about this before; I'll give it a try tomorrow and let the thread know if it works or not.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can't enable rapid mode from Samsung magician on Windows 10 preview. How much performance am I losing?

I remember someone talking about this before, you can enable rapid with 4.4, but not 4.5.

But yeah, it's not officially supported and might end up in data loss.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah it won't work on Windows 10.

To be honest I can't tell any performance difference from when I was running it on Win7 with Rapid.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Alright, I'm sure this is a stupid question but a 5 minute google search didn't shed any light. Does manipulating files on a network share through Windows Explorer on my local machine result in any significant writes to my SSD? I have a Qnap NAS that I constantly move and rename files around in the NAS local directories and find it's HTML-based (think router login page) file explorer very clunky, but if doing the same operations through Windows Explorer is adding wear to my SSD I'll knock that poo poo off right quick.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Alright, I'm sure this is a stupid question but a 5 minute google search didn't shed any light. Does manipulating files on a network share through Windows Explorer on my local machine result in any significant writes to my SSD? I have a Qnap NAS that I constantly move and rename files around in the NAS local directories and find it's HTML-based (think router login page) file explorer very clunky, but if doing the same operations through Windows Explorer is adding wear to my SSD I'll knock that poo poo off right quick.

No.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

# of people who actually out-wrote an SSD, raise your hand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I did. To be fair, it wasn't exactly in a consumer environment.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I abuse the heck out of SSDs (just because); full defrags, DBAN wipes, filling them to 100%, etc. I've been doing this for years and I don't think I have a single drive showing worse than "99%" life remaining. I don't see how anyone could use up a drive with "normal" usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I'm down to 84% on a Crucial M4 with 24065 power on hours.

• Locked thread