Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sick episode. One question: how did mini-Migi/Gotou-migi generate that electricity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Sick episode. One question: how did mini-Migi/Gotou-migi generate that electricity?

Because the animators thought it looked cool. :shrug:

Idk, I can't think of a reasonable explanation besides that.

There Bias Two posted:

Man that was heavy-handed. It was getting so philosophical that it was breaking characterization.

Pretty much. At least with the mayor you could justify it as him being super fanatical and wanting to lay down some of his hard truths before he bit it, but this came totally out of the blue. Shinichi's bit at least. I thought Migi's part was neat actually. Sort of the culmination of his story arc.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I dunno, I think "hesitation at executing a dying person" is a pretty common feeling that any non-sociopath feels. Yes, even against murderers. There's a difference when there's someone trying to kill you - which is why he didn't hesitate like three other times when trying to kill him - compared to when they're bleeding out unconscious on the ground and you're standing over them with a knife and you'd have to slash up all their internal organs to kill them. He only hesitated for like, a minute, and then he did kill the dude.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Even Shinichi didn't understand why he held up his hand to block the attack. It was an unconscious action, as if his arm moved by itself, attracted to the blade. However, Shinichi's body knew the truth! His body reacted out of instinct, in order to survive! The fire that fueled his life drove his body to take action!

I thought the "philosophical dilemma" was also really clunky, especially since he was going to kill him, then decided not to and walked away, then randomly changed his mind again.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
He figured it was about time he tried to live up to the slogan on his jacket.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Having second thoughts about executing someone who was completely defenseless but still working up the resolve to do it didn't really seem all that crazy to me. I would think anyone would hesitate to end a sentient life like that, even if it did try to kill you.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The point of the question at the end was not the answer, because there was no answer. The point was that Shinichi matured enough to be able to ask the question in the first place.

Shanakin posted:

He figured it was about time he tried to live up to the slogan on his jacket.

philo \/ sophia

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rexides posted:

The point of the question at the end was not the answer, because there was no answer. The point was that Shinichi matured enough to be able to ask the question in the first place.

Yeah I definitely agree with you there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought the question was whether or not he was Izumi Shinichi

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He answered that with his cock a couple of episodes ago.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

Sakurazuka posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sakurazuka posted:

:thurman:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Really enjoyed the series on this anime, are the live action movies any good? The only live action adaptations of anime I have seen are the Kaiji ones and those were.... meh at best.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Sakurazuka posted:

Which one?

Seriously how awkward will the conversation be when/if he tells her about Migi? I doubt "Oh it's ok he was asleep the other night" is going to cut it as an excuse even if it is true.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Migi may decide he likes just being in the background and fully submit himself 100% to Shinichi's will. Then they become dream best friends.

Also Shinichi starts flying and using ki blasts.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Having second thoughts about executing someone who was completely defenseless but still working up the resolve to do it didn't really seem all that crazy to me. I would think anyone would hesitate to end a sentient life like that, even if it did try to kill you.

That is one thing, but his overwrought mental discussion is probably not how it would go.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that Migi-dong in the anime has an eye and a little mouth on it. :kimchi:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Really enjoyed the series on this anime, are the live action movies any good? The only live action adaptations of anime I have seen are the Kaiji ones and those were.... meh at best.

They're apparently pretty terrible. Or at least the first one is, since I don't think the second one is out quite yet.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The Cameo posted:

the second one

Is that a sequel, or did someone say "Well, that thing was terrible, but we can give it another go just in case"?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rexides posted:

Is that a sequel, or did someone say "Well, that thing was terrible, but we can give it another go just in case"?

They did the "film it all at once, split it for release" thing. And, hey, the first film opened at #1 over there (mostly on the back of the star of the movie being Japan's equivalent of a Tiger Beat cover star), so they didn't scuttle the theatrical release for Part 2.

The weirdest thing about the first movie (which I haven't seen myself, but I know a few who have) is that it ends with Shinichi killing Hideo, which is, uh, not the most dramatic ending for a movie in comparison to "kill your mother". I'm guessing they wanted a happy ending of some sort, and that's like the first time Shinichi actively saves the day.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Harry posted:

There wasn't really any question if he should kill the near invincible relentless killing machine.

Same. It was a nice moment of introspection but then Shinichi realized how 50% was simply too much of a risk to humanity. Um, yeah, did we ever find out whether his dad got better since last time? IIRC he ended up being a alcoholic.

Also, anyone else find it weird how the most significant relationship the MC has is with his alien friend? OK.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Also, anyone else find it weird how the most significant relationship the MC has is with his alien friend? OK.

They more or less shared a consciousness

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

AnacondaHL posted:

Hamon

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

XboxPants posted:

I dunno, I think "hesitation at executing a dying person" is a pretty common feeling that any non-sociopath feels. Yes, even against murderers. There's a difference when there's someone trying to kill you - which is why he didn't hesitate like three other times when trying to kill him - compared to when they're bleeding out unconscious on the ground and you're standing over them with a knife and you'd have to slash up all their internal organs to kill them. He only hesitated for like, a minute, and then he did kill the dude.

He wasn't dying. He was putting himself back together to begin his rampage anew. I could maybe believe some introspection after the fact, but this was just dumb.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Alder posted:

Stockholm syndrome and the need to lie to everyone he knows will do that to a guy. Migi basically took everyone around him hostage for the first half of the series and became Shinichi's only confidant.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Well, that was pretty good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BambooEarpick posted:

Well, that was pretty good.

It made me hold my breath.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wow I was not expecting the last episode to be so gripping, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was done.

Going to miss this show

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was a pretty good adaptation, I think that the worst thing that could be said of it was that it threw some of the weaker aspects of the manga in to starker relief.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sure it's due to the quality of the adaption and source material, but it was really nice to finish the last episode and it not end on a wet fart like so many shows do.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
During the first few minutes I thought that the episode was going to be boring, but I changed my mind later.

Well at least Satomi finally found out that he really is Shinichi! :shepface:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I must admit, I did tune out a bit during all the big philosophical speeches. They weren't as deep or as interesting as the show thought they were.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Well at least Satomi finally found out that he really is Shinichi! :shepface:

Next up, Eren's Dad's basement, and finding One Piece!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Shinichi retires as a world-class athlete.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

We can only dream.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL posted:

Obviously even in this universe getting to Elf Island is still impossible.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sakurazuka posted:

Obviously even in this universe getting to Elf Island is still impossible.

Raftel is actual Elf Island too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I must admit, I did tune out a bit during all the big philosophical speeches. They weren't as deep or as interesting as the show thought they were.

They're don't work great as mind-blowing philosophical speeches, but I do think they work well as characterization. That's what I take away from all that - it's not even about proselytizing one of these worldviews as the one true understanding of the world or anything, it's just about showing how Shinichi's outlook of the world has changed and grown. To that end, I think they are effective. (and the speeches from the other characters work in the same way)

Perhaps a more subtle, less expository method of characterization could have worked better, sure, but that's a whole 'nother post.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
I watched the first two or three episodes, then read up to that point in the manga, decided I liked the presentation of the anime better, and wanted that to be my way of first experiencing the story all the way through. I also tried reading the thread, but got the impression that most of the regular posters would be people who read the manga, and spoilers might be hard to avoid. Now that it's over, I went back to glance through the thread, maybe see some reactions to the bigger 'oh poo poo' moments.

But during discussion of, like, episode four or something:

Phobophilia posted:

By rights, the parasytes can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals in them. Moving parts. It doesn't work that way, but it can form solid metal shapes. Knives and stabbing weapons.

drat man, how did not a single person give a nod to this post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What happened to the Jaw guy anyway?

• Locked thread