Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I thought she was the other class rep. Don't they usually have one male and one female rep?
She got second place so she's vice rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kind of surprised he had Yaoyorozu lose so early on.

Even putting aside that the guy she was fighting is really strong in one on one fights, it makes sense that she'd not be that great in a straight up fight. As completely ridiculous as the ability to make nearly anything is, she's still basically just a normal person in a fight. She needs Deku's notebook.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

chumbler posted:

Even putting aside that the guy she was fighting is really strong in one on one fights, it makes sense that she'd not be that great in a straight up fight. As completely ridiculous as the ability to make nearly anything is, she's still basically just a normal person in a fight. She needs Deku's notebook.

She basically operates as a slightly fancier Support Student. Not that powerful alone but makes an amazing member for a Tea,m.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MadHat posted:

She basically operates as a slightly fancier Support Student. Not that powerful alone but makes an amazing member for a Tea,m.

I dunno, she's pretty devastating in a solo fight if she has prep time. Unfortunately for her, that's not a on option in this format and matchup.

Narratively, it makes sense for Bakugou to win. That places him against the closest thing he has to a friend, Kirishima, and gives Deku a clear run of fights against important rivals - Todoroki, then Iida, then Bakugou. Uraraka managing to take him down would be pretty rad, though, and it'd be hilarious to see Bakugou trying to adjust to cheering on Kirishima from the sidelines.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, she's pretty devastating in a solo fight if she has prep time. Unfortunately for her, that's not a on option in this format and matchup.

Narratively, it makes sense for Bakugou to win. That places him against the closest thing he has to a friend, Kirishima, and gives Deku a clear run of fights against important rivals - Todoroki, then Iida, then Bakugou. Uraraka managing to take him down would be pretty rad, though, and it'd be hilarious to see Bakugou trying to adjust to cheering on Kirishima from the sidelines.

Kirishma v Bakuguo could be an amazing fight. Also, potentially character-building for him, as he's kind of a friend, as you mentioned, and also--how effective would his blasts even be? He would have to implement some actual strategy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Uraraka winning would be a good subversion of expectations. I mean, everyone is literally openly worrying that Bakugou is going to curbstomp her really badly- badly enough that having someone who can instantly heal people on standby doesn't make it okay.

Hopefully she at least gets to put on a good show. A win would be cool but it'll be kind of a bummer if Bakugou just fucks her up really bad.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Darth Walrus posted:

There's narrative potential regardless of which way the fight swings, honestly, which is a pretty strong point in its favor. For all my :words: on the subject a few pages ago, there's no way Deku (or Todoroki) was going to lose round one.

If Bakugou wins, he'll go on to face either Todoroki or Deku, both characters he has something to prove against. If he loses (to a girl no less, which let's face it would probably bother him even more), it might finally be the cold shower needed to cool off his hotheaded, "Too cool for school" attitude. Ochako has a little less at stake here, narratively, but that also means success or failure at this point could become a crucial part of her arc. Personally, I'm hoping she goes for it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On an unrelated note, there sure were some One Punch Man faces in this chapter. Crossover in 3... 2...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't actually want him to lose his hotheaded, too cool for school attitude though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Lose was probably the wrong word. Tone down? Temper?

I am totally okay with Bakugou retaining his hotheaded punk personality provided he comes to the realization that maybe other human beings exist and trying to murder Deku during a training session was not too cool of him.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

On an unrelated note, there sure were some One Punch Man faces in this chapter. Crossover in 3... 2...

I loved the face Uraraka made when Deku told her he's been taking notes on everybody. This whole time. Including her.

And it completely goes over his head why someone might find that a bit unsettling.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Mr. Fowl posted:

I loved the face Uraraka made when Deku told her he's been taking notes on everybody. This whole time. Including her.

And it completely goes over his head why someone might find that a bit unsettling.

Is this building up to a Batman moment where a villain gets his hands on these notes and uses the info to wreck everyone?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Plus side, you can be sure he never forgets your anniversary.

Seriously though I'm glad we've come back to him being a massive superhero dork.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

HellCopter posted:

Is this building up to a Batman moment where a villain gets his hands on these notes and uses the info to wreck everyone?

No, this is for when they fight Amazo and he coordinates the entire JLA class against him.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Another link, which actually has page 4.

http://www.mangapanda.com/boku-no-hero-academia/35

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

HellCopter posted:

The animated movie Justice League: Doom is literally this and it's great. I hope it happens in Academia.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hatsume is really great, you guys. I'm just sayin'.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoubleDonut posted:

Hatsume is really great, you guys. I'm just sayin'.

All the female students we've seen so far are really great. Ochako, Tsuyu, Ashido, Yaoyozoru, Earjack Girl, Invisi-Girl, Vinehair Girl, Hatsume - all of them are really likable and fun to see in action.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I have a hard time seeing how gravity girl could win this one. Bakugou has used his explosions to fly in the past so he should be able to retain control even if he is weightless and I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else she can do to him.

And thanks to the people who actually put in links for chapters when they're out and don't just spoil what happens in it and sets us off on a google search for the website that has the chapter hosted first this specific week.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hatsume is stone cold :allears:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not related to this chapter, but thinking upon it, Aizawa's claim about the flaws in UA's entrance exams carry a lot more weight when you realize that his quirk is just like Shinsou's in that it's at a disadvantage due to the rules. Shutting down quirks really doesn't do jack when you're up against robots. It's only on a stage like the tournament where you can really show what you're capable of.

Still, Aizawa was able to become a hero, so that bodes well for Shinsou.

It's also fun to think about certain powers, like the Copy guy's, in context of this universe. Normally, power copying is a boring and cliched power but I feel like it's a lot more limited and interesting in the context of the My Hero Academia world. Especially when you take costumes into consideration. Copy guy might be able to copy Bakugou's explosions and throw them back at him, but if uniforms had been allowed in the contest then things would have been a lot different since Bakugou could have just stored up sweat and let 'er rip in one go. Also, what sort of costume would someone who uses Copy wear anyways? Do you go for flexibility? If working in a team, you could wear a costume that can make the best use of your teammate's quirks. If you know what enemy you'll be going against (and thus the quirk you'll be copying) you could get yourself a costume that could make use of your enemy's quirk. Though that would be really expensive in the long run.

Shinsou's costume could probably use a voice changer and a disguise kit so villains don't know they're actually talking to a guy who can take control of them.

What sort of costume would Invisible Girl even use, anyways?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What sort of costume would Invisible Girl even use, anyways?

That's the whole joke to her character - she has to get completely naked to be completely invisible. During every event so far in the comic the guys around her comment in a panel here or there how "hot" or uncomfortable it is to have her be wandering around with nothing on even if they can't see her. Especially during the cavalry part.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I get that it's the joke but you'd think in a world of quirks they'd figure something out. I mean, heck, they've got two invisi-people in the same grade and who knows how more elsewhere.

Tooru's pretty great cause of how energetic and hyped up she is about pretty much everything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The author said something about not having explained what her power really is yet I think? So it's not just "She's invisible" apparently.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
This arc continues to disappoint with skipping over several of the fights like that, why even have a tournament arc with so many characters if fights are going to be resolved in one panel or in the background? Why not just make it a smaller 8 man one but give the fights the time they deserve

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, I get that it's the joke but you'd think in a world of quirks they'd figure something out. I mean, heck, they've got two invisi-people in the same grade and who knows how more elsewhere.

Tooru's pretty great cause of how energetic and hyped up she is about pretty much everything.

There's only one invisi-person. The other might be missing a head or something (the speech bubble came from inside the neck hole)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadBonesBrook posted:

This arc continues to disappoint with skipping over several of the fights like that, why even have a tournament arc with so many characters if fights are going to be resolved in one panel or in the background? Why not just make it a smaller 8 man one but give the fights the time they deserve

because long non-condensed tournament arcs are kind of dumb

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Bleach made me realise that streched out fights with a bloated cast, showcasing each and every abilities is a terrible idea. poo poo gets boring fast.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
YYH's Dark Tournament is considered a great tournament arc and just about anyone who wasn't the main cast didn't get their fights shown outside of the group Teguro obliterates in 5 seconds.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Really, besides maybe Kirishima/Tetsutetsu, there aren't any fights that I feel like I missed out on too badly; Crow vs. Momo was pretty much just a one-sided rushdown, Kaminari's loss was pretty much instant (and while you could extend it, I think this is actually a bit stronger characterization for him, in that he needs to learn some patience and not just blow immediately zap himself stupid), and Mina vs. Navel was pretty simple. People's strengths and weaknesses were pretty well highlighted with what we got. I'd only have given those fights a couple pages tops anyways.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

get hosed the short fights have been just as good.

Also there will only be 4 fights after the coming one so they will be more detailed I think.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Would you want to read 1 on 1 fight scenes for an entire year?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

AtomikKrab posted:

get hosed the short fights have been just as good.

Also there will only be 4 fights after the coming one so they will be more detailed I think.

4 fights in the next round, 2 more for the semifinal matches, and then the final. More detail probably, but I would be surprised if all of those have full chapters devoted to them.

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Because its not a tournament arc, its an School Festival arc. The tournament is just the last event.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Nobody was actually clamoring for Aoyama vs Mina or Shiozaki vs Kaminari, let's be real here. I'm a sucker for tournament arcs but even I'll admit it's for the best that we don't spend 40 chapters on this. I imagine the second round will have one or two short fights but the rest will likely get a fair bit of panel time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I really doubt we'll see much of Iida versus Shiozaki or Tokoyami versus Ashido, because who really cares, but all the other fights from now on are likely to get a fair degree of focus. Well, 'cept for the likely Tokoyami versus Bakugou battle.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I wouldn't mind if both of those fights were handled in a couple pages, yeah, but I really hope they each get at least a couple pages. Ashido is cool as hell and so are Tokoyama and Shiozaki, so I want to see them in action some more.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

When this manga will get an anime adaptation, you'll have all the fights you want. Each single fight will also be a 5 episodes long filler arc where in each episode there'll be 19 minutes of recycled animation and in the remaining time we'll get anime original character that are mostly the animator's rejected sketches for his ecchi harem comedy set in a kindergarten, and the only thing those characters will say will be "He's using that technique!" "Not that technique!" "That technique?" "If he uses that technique then..." And when it will use that technique the animation will be so terrible it will make Naruto look like Akira.

And then everyone will sigh:"Man, why did they put all this bullshit filler? If only they kept things more concise..."

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

I Love Annie May posted:

When this manga will get an anime adaptation, you'll have all the fights you want. Each single fight will also be a 5 episodes long filler arc where in each episode there'll be 19 minutes of recycled animation and in the remaining time we'll get anime original character that are mostly the animator's rejected sketches for his ecchi harem comedy set in a kindergarten, and the only thing those characters will say will be "He's using that technique!" "Not that technique!" "That technique?" "If he uses that technique then..." And when it will use that technique the animation will be so terrible it will make Naruto look like Akira.

And then everyone will sigh:"Man, why did they put all this bullshit filler? If only they kept things more concise..."
To be fair here, the Chuunin arc is basically considered to be the universal high point of Naruto and that's about where we're at in terms of story. Not that I don't expect Hero Academia to continue being great, but no, they really could've been a bit more expansive in the battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!

Twiddy posted:

To be fair here, the Chuunin arc is basically considered to be the universal high point of Naruto and that's about where we're at in terms of story. Not that I don't expect Hero Academia to continue being great, but no, they really could've been a bit more expansive in the battles.

Sea level is a pretty high point compared to the Challenger Deep.