Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So midnight prerelease I went undefeated with the clunkiest UB control deck I have ever built. I had some of the exploit dudes, and a good amount of removal but my first creature I could realistically drop was the guy who returns a creature to your hand when he dies, other than that I had a marang river skeleton (who was a 2 drop in my deck 90% of the time) and no other early game. However a poo poo ton of removal and Necromaster Dragon more than made up for that, provided I could survive the initial onslaught. Here is the deck:

However, my fate reforged pack did have a little present for me in its rare slot, which really helped out in the few games I drew him in (on the far right):

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

nice bulge btw

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

nice bulge btw

well, to late to edit the image now. I honestly didn't notice that :shrug: sorry, just wanted to show off my lucksack, not my actual sack

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Jabor posted:

Impulse is actually a really good card.

(Anticipate isn't quite as good, obviously, but it's still the best cantrip we've had in Standard for a while.)

I can't wait until Anticipate is banned in Modern just because.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

InterrupterJones posted:

My buddy who pulled the foil Treasure Cruise when we opened that box went to the prerelease in my stead, and pulled a foil Anticipate as well. It's apparently also a $15 card...is there any rhyme or reason to these foil blue commons being so valuable? I get Treasure Cruise, but for the life of me I can't figure out Anticipate, which seems like a more limited Peer Through Depths.

Being able to get a land is a big deal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Early game it helps reactive blue decks get land drops, late game, it helps blue decks find interaction. At every point of the game this effect is beneficial. This plus the fact that it is instant speed means that blue decks can keep counter shields up without wasting mana.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The main question in modern would be whether it's better than Telling Time. Digging one card deeper seems better in general, but that fact that you can shuffle away your top card fairly easily in Modern makes me unsure.

It's gonna be a very good card in Standard though, control decks want to hit lands early and then spells later on and this helps them in both cases.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The main question in modern would be whether it's better than Telling Time. Digging one card deeper seems better in general, but that fact that you can shuffle away your top card fairly easily in Modern makes me unsure.

It's gonna be a very good card in Standard though, control decks want to hit lands early and then spells later on and this helps them in both cases.

It's better if you're digging for a specific card.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
it's better than telling time. there are scenarios you can construct where telling time is better, but digging a card deeper will be better enough of the time that it's a higher expected value to run anticipate (because outside of those scenarios, seeing an extra card is good).

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
like i can literally not think of a real scenario where i'd take telling time over anticipate while building a deck which is the real question in card eval

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
treasure cruise banned in pauper, skullclamp banned in EDH. New judge promo's damnation, dualcaster mage, feldon, wasteland, and ravages of war. Wasteland is real weird, this is the 3 promotional printing, and the 2nd judge printing. They've never done a card as a judge promo twice before have they? I think this is a sign they're never going to loving print it in anything but the most scarce of ways.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Vindicate's been done twice.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Instead of printing it in a way people can actually get it let us continue to do nothing about Wasteland!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

treasure cruise banned in pauper, skullclamp banned in EDH. New judge promo's damnation, dualcaster mage, feldon, wasteland, and ravages of war. Wasteland is real weird, this is the 3 promotional printing, and the 2nd judge printing. They've never done a card as a judge promo twice before have they? I think this is a sign they're never going to loving print it in anything but the most scarce of ways.

Where are you seeing that treasure cruise is banned in pauper? I can't find that anywhere.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Instead of printing it in a way people can actually get it let us continue to do nothing about Wasteland!

Nothing needs to be done about Wasteland. The card is fine. Without it, the mana in Legacy would be too good.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 23, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jassi007 posted:

100-card Singleton is not EDH.

Also I can't wait to hear my lovely local L1 brag about his Damnation and Wasteland all the loving time. :rolleyes:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

Where are you seeing that treasure cruise is banned in pauper? I can't find that anywhere.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/march-23-2015-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2015-03-23

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They had to ban something in Pauper just to remind people that the format exists.

Both times with awful art.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ugh, I just want to abuse that card degenerately at least in one format....oh well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Nothing needs to be done about Wasteland. The card is fine. Without it, the mana in Legacy would be too good.

he saying that reprinting it as a Judge Promo isn't good enough, the conversation has literally nothing to do with the banlist

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Madmarker posted:

ugh, I just want to abuse that card degenerately at least in one format....oh well.

lets make a format called Cool Format for Sexy Dudes and Ladies wherein you can play 5 treasure cruises

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mcmagic posted:

He was talking about its price, not its power level.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Madmarker posted:

i know why it is so, but it's still really funny that the only format you can have 4 of Treasure Cruise is the format where Dig Thru Time is played more

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

Both times with awful art.
Historically Vindicate exists to have the most amazing potential for art, and then have the worst art. Unless you think two explosions that look more like a butt is good art, I guess.

How much better would the vindicate art be if it was just Sorin pushing Tibalt down a flight of stairs?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Elyv posted:

Oh right, didn't see that it was any card, not just instant or sorcery. Cool for Standard, might almost consider playing control.

As for yet another judge Wasteland, guess it's time to consider trying to become a judge?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

He was talking about its price, not its power level.

I think he was talking about the power level too since I remember him bringing it up before. I could be wrong though.

As for the price, I would have no idea how they would reprint it other than in a Commander kind of product or maybe as a GP promo?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

I think he was talking about the power level too since I remember him bringing it up before. I could be wrong though.

As for the price, I would have no idea how they would reprint it other than in a Commander kind of product or maybe as a GP promo?

Why would he care about people having access to it if he wanted it banned?

And yeah, probably a GP promo or in an FTV.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I also forgot to mention that in the 50 or so packs of DTK i opened this weekend, I'm the proud owner of zero's Sliumgar's Scorn. Mythic uncommons are the worst.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Put it in a product like conspiracy. Wasteland is not a great card in a draft set with limited/no non-basic fixing. In fact it is practically useless.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jassi007 posted:

Put it in a product like conspiracy. Wasteland is not a great card in a draft set with limited/no non-basic fixing. In fact it is practically useless.

That's exactly why they don't want to put it in a set like conspiracy though.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Lunsku posted:

No, they can choose to sac a creature to the exploit trigger when it resolves, but the creature with "when ~this~ exploits a creature..." triggered ability is not around anymore to see it.

Yep.

Exploit is one of the clunkier new mechanics they have printed in a while since it is two separate triggers.

So when cool exploit dude enters the battlefield there is a trigger that says "You can sacrifice a creature." The opponent doesn't know if the controller of the exploit trigger is going to do it or not, or what is getting sac'd. So you can just see what they do and lose the ability to respond, kill the dude generating the exploit trigger, or kill what you think is their likely to be sac'd creature.

THEN they choose if they want to sac a guy or not. This happens whether the exploiter is on the battlefield or not. If they sac a guy and the Exploiter is still around the trigger goes on the stack(Or sac'd to his own ability) for whatever the exploit ability actually does. At this point you've missed the boat for stopping the ability.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 23, 2015

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Entropic posted:

They had to ban something in Pauper just to remind people that the format exists.

To be fair, Treasure Cruise was loving that format up in weird, disgusting ways.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jassi007 posted:

Same with Force of Will. A Limited only designed set is the perfect place to reprint those since they're pretty bad in Limited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So if I'm being attacked with Sabretooth Outrider that is turned on by Formidable and I kill one of their creatures taking them under 8 total power before blocks, the Sabretooth still has first strike till EOT?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

So if I'm being attacked with Sabretooth Outrider that is turned on by Formidable and I kill one of their creatures taking them under 8 total power before blocks, the Sabretooth still has first strike till EOT?

It's one of those abilities with an "intervening if" clause which means it checks both on being triggered and on resolving. So if they attack with the sabertooth and they have ferocious, the ability triggers, but if you can kill something to turn off their Formidable before the ability resolves, then it won't get first strike.

But if you're already at declaring blockers or whatever, you can't turn off the first strike by killing something to turn off their formidable. Once the triggered ability resolves with Formidable, the Sabertooth has first strike until EOT.

Basically how it works is:

Attack with the sabretooth. If you have formidable, its ability triggers. If you still have formidable when the ability resolves, it gets first strike until EOT. Losing formidable after that point won't change anything.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 23, 2015

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

To be fair, Treasure Cruise was loving that format up in weird, disgusting ways.

It's true, online pauper is a lot of blue decks and I ran 3 cruise in RUG tron. I'm still new to pauper so I'm not totally sure what to replace it with now. It was ridiculously easy to cast in that deck.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Huge shame about those Judge promos. They look great but the new system for foils means very few people are going to see them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

That's exactly why they don't want to put it in a set like conspiracy though.

Didn't stop them from reprinting brainstorm which is a significantly less powerful without fetches. They could throw in vivids or something and put a wasteland in and it'd be fine.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's true, online pauper is a lot of blue decks and I ran 3 cruise in RUG tron. I'm still new to pauper so I'm not totally sure what to replace it with now. It was ridiculously easy to cast in that deck.

Pauper just has precious few 2-for-1s, and the ones that exist are always overpriced. There's just no way to value-grind against Ancestral Recall.

I'm kind of laughing that they let it stew long enough that most of the metagame aggregator sites have forgotten what went in those decks before Cruise. I don't remember, myself. Mulldrifter?

EDIT:

Dohaeris posted:

It gains first strike till end of turn when it attacks. So presumably, once they attack, they get the ability. Killing something else after that doesn't matter, because it already has first strike.

Sabretooth Outrider's trigger has an intervening if clause, which means that if you make the condition false while the trigger is on the stack, it won't do anything on resolution. So yes, you can actually let them declare attacks before shooting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

mcmagic posted:

It gains first strike till end of turn when it attacks. So presumably, once they attack, they get the ability. Killing something else after that doesn't matter, because it already has first strike.

• Locked thread