Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

A MIRACLE posted:

My dad likes Jeb Bush but can't give any reasons why other than "he's actually very reasonable"

He sure is! Just ask Michael Schivao!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
There has been a theory amongst the conservative crowd that McCain and Romney lost not because people rejected their ideas, or because of electoral fundamentals, or because they ran an inferior campaign, or even because Obama cheated, but because there is a great "silent majority" of Freep level super conservatives out there that stayed home rather than compromise themselves and vote for "liberals" like Sen. "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" and Gov. "47%". Cruz is, by all appearances, one of the subscribers to that theory, and he thinks he will be the one to awaken and motivate these voters.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ted Cruz will be a loving hurricane in the debates but considering the establishment will be throwing everything they have at him to ensure that literally anyone else gets nominated, it would take historic implosions from the big players along with Republican primary voters shifting even further to the right en mass for him to get the nomination.

Sounds like a good opportunity for Randmentum!

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ted Cruz will be a loving hurricane in the debates but considering the establishment will be throwing everything they have at him to ensure that literally anyone else gets nominated, it would take historic implosions from the big players along with Republican primary voters shifting even further to the right en mass for him to get the nomination.

They've been out of the Presidency for 8 years, and they think that 2012 was theirs by right. They're angrier and more desperate than they were 2 years ago, and they'll be angrier and more desperate still by Nov. 2016. They might just be desperate enough to nominate Cruz because he's a fighter, and he's not nice.

I mean, I'm not going to :toxx: or anything, because the thought process behind the Republican id is functionally impenetrable to me, but I can see solid strategic/emotional reasons for a Cruz nomination.

Fried Chicken posted:

There has been a theory amongst the conservative crowd that McCain and Romney lost not because people rejected their ideas, or because of electoral fundamentals, or because they ran an inferior campaign, or even because Obama cheated, but because there is a great "silent majority" of Freep level super conservatives out there that stayed home rather than compromise themselves and vote for "liberals" like Sen. "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" and Gov. "47%". Cruz is, by all appearances, one of the subscribers to that theory, and he thinks he will be the one to awaken and motivate these voters.

Yes. Agreed. I think that's where Cruz's logic for the line about born agains not voting came from.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

My dad likes Jeb Bush but can't give any reasons why other than "he's actually very reasonable"

You remember the rant by Sideshow Bob about republicans? He was basically describing a large swath of people, including both our dads, and Jeb looks just good enough compared to Cruz and the rest that they can feel justified in voting for him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fried Chicken posted:

You remember the rant by Sideshow Bob about republicans? He was basically describing a large swath of people, including both our dads, and Jeb looks just good enough compared to Cruz and the rest that they can feel justified in voting for him.

He's married to a minority! He must not be racist!

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a transcript.

quote:

Imagine another little girl living in Africa, in Kenya and Nigeria. That’s a diverse crowd.

(LAUGHTER)

And yes, his plan for healthcare is "Overturn Obamacare, replace with freedom." (APPLAUSE)

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Series DD Funding posted:

Voter ID has never been shown to have a significant effect.

Bwah? Every study I've seen has said the exact opposite.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Parachute posted:

Cruz is smart in the sense that he knows he has not only no chance of a nomination, but no chance of becoming President so he just starts his race early hoping to catch big donators as early as possible.

But that face....

I want to see one Koch each support Cruz and Walker, just to see what would happen. :regd08:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the Springfield Republican Party fails every time because they treat their opposition as bleeding-heart granola liberals when in reality the Springfield Democrats are a hard crew whose command of county-level machine politics has allowed them to control the city for over a century

are you willing to send your volunteers into Bum Town and Little Stockholm to take on the bosses, Burns? Are you willing to send them to die? Are you willing to dirty your hands by bribing Chief Wiggum or schmoozing with the patrons at Moe's? Are you willing to humiliate your puppet candidates by sending them to make banal small-talk at every restaurant opening and shopping event?

dont underestimate Joe Quimby, Burns. Joe Quimby will gently caress you up.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 23, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

bpower posted:

Jesus, imagine if Holyfield went full on Raging Bull and had to be dragged off Romney. Im not saying I want it to happen of course but imagine it! Jesus.

I just hope that when he starts losing he doesn't bite off Evander's other ear.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CaptainCarrot posted:

http://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legacy/Democracy/VRE/Mycoff%20et%20al.pdf
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/02/us-usa-campaign-voterid-idUSBRE8A10UJ20121102

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
FYI: there's a guy that drags a cross around downtown Lynchburg like Jesus at random times.

Cruz's only chance now is to raise so much money that Huck, Santorum, and Carson can't possibly catch up. They'll still lose since Walker can easily capture the same voters PLUS the "well I don't go to church but gently caress YOU if you wanna raise my taxes (ps I make like 40k a year)" voters.

Also, Common Core is a red hot issue and even if you think it's reasonable, there's so much peer pressure against it in Red America that I think Walker really will beat Bush. Cruz will try for that too, but I really do think there are a lot of GOP primary voters that want people to think they're "red blooded American Christians" but still think Cruz is an attention whore. Walker will be their perfect candidate.

Unless something blows up in Iran/Iraq, and then everyone will rush back into the arms of the Bushes blindly, like in 2001-2003. That's honestly Bush's best hope. I think Cheneyism is still potent among all GOP voters except the irrelevant Paultards.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Ted Cruz 2016 is a... upside down burning flag.

It's a Pentecostal flame. The official count-down to a American Flag Cross as a campaign logo has now begun.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Wow, that was embarrassing. Don't worry, he fixed it:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Ted gave a talk at Liberty University today.

"No, no Mr. Cruz. This shirt shows how united we are against Shai'tain and his Darkfriends!"

CaptainCarrot posted:

The consensus based on the results of the 2014 midterms seems to be that individuals are prevented from voting, not general populations. There are only anecdotes regarding whether or not it can sway close elections.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/us/voter-id-laws-midterm-elections.html

quote:

In North Carolina, early voting was cut by seven days. In Kansas, 22,000 people were stopped from registering to vote because they lacked proof of citizenship. And in Texas, Democrats say the country’s toughest voter ID law contributed to a one-term congressman’s losing a tight race to his Republican rival.

After an Election Day that featured a wave of new voting restrictions across the country, data and details about who cast a ballot are being picked over to see if tighter rules swayed the outcomes of any races or contributed to the lowest voter turnout in 72 years.

Since 2011, a dozen Republican-led states have passed strict voter ID requirements, some blocked by courts, measures that Republicans describe as needed to increase confidence in elections and critics call the modern equivalent of a poll tax, intended to suppress turnout by Democratic voters.

Few are arguing that the laws drastically affected the overall results in a year that produced sweeping Republican victories, or that they were the dominant factor in voter participation. Although some Democrats claim the new laws may have swung close elections this month, voting experts caution that it is too soon to tell.

At the least, however, the country is in the midst of a broad experiment with voting restrictions at a time of already depressed voting rates. The trend is likely to accelerate with the 2016 election, when new hurdles are scheduled to go into effect and with Republicans taking control of nine new state legislative chambers on Election Day. Nevada, where the party flipped both houses, may become the latest state with a photo ID law.

Republican activists dispute the argument that ID laws limit voting and say Democrats are sounding the alarm to inspire their base. The issue is complicated because academic efforts to measure if restrictive laws depress turnout have produced mixed results.

In Texas, Democratic officials said the state’s voter ID law was a large part of the reason that turnout was among the lowest in the country this year. Supporters of Representative Pete Gallego, who lost a House race in West Texas by just 2,400 votes, or 2 percent, blamed the ID law, which a federal judge said disenfranchised up to 600,000 voters statewide who did not have the proper documents.

“Republicans counted on voter ID suppressing Democratic-leaning minority turnout by a couple of points,” said Anthony Gutierrez, Mr. Gallego’s campaign manager. “That appears to be exactly what happened, and in our race it was enough to change the outcome.”

Republicans in Texas disputed any claims of a partisan advantage, pointing to the landslide victory of Greg Abbott, a Republican, in the governor’s race. His margin was greater than the number of voters without IDs. Republicans say that in six elections since the ID law took effect, there has been no significant confusion.

Laws increasing the burden on voters — including ID requirements, cutbacks in early voting and proof of citizenship rules — were passed in recent years in the name of preventing fraud.

Opponents say photo IDs, aimed at deterring the nearly nonexistent crime of in-person fraud, and other rules are really meant to depress voting by young people, minorities and the poor, groups that lean Democratic. An October study by the Government Accountability Office found that voter ID laws contributed to lower turnout, particularly by those groups, in races in Kansas and Tennessee in 2012.

Nationally, turnout was the worst this year in a midterm election since 1942, providing ammunition to those arguing that the restrictive laws made it harder to vote.

In Texas, turnout fell to 33.6 percent. In Colorado, where a Democratic-led Legislature passed expansive new voting rules, allowing everyone to mail in a ballot, turnout was the fourth-highest in the country, 53 percent.

But such raw numbers can be deceptive, experts said, hiding the many reasons people decide to vote. Texas has historically low turnout and did not have a competitive statewide race this year. Colorado has long had above-average turnout.

Despite the national trend, 14 states had higher turnout compared with the 2010 midterms. All featured highly competitive governor’s races or figured in the battle for Senate control, which brought a deluge of outside spending on TV ads and intense news coverage. The states included Louisiana, Wisconsin, Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida and Kansas.

Voting rights advocates raised eyebrows about the role of voting restrictions in races that were narrowly decided. Wendy Weiser, director of the democracy program at the Brennan Center for Justice, which has challenged voting restrictions in court, said that in some key races, Republicans won tight victories that were close to what she called the “margin of disenfranchisement.”

In North Carolina, Ms. Weiser noted, 200,000 voters cast ballots over seven days of early voting in 2010 — a window used especially by African-Americans — that was eliminated this year. Thom Tillis, a Republican, defeated Senator Kay Hagan by just 48,000 votes.

Similarly, Ms. Weiser pointed to Kansas, where Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, was re-elected by fewer than 33,000 votes, or 2.8 percent. At the same time, 22,000 would-be voters, whose registrations were suspended for lack of a document to prove their citizenship, did not get to cast a ballot. Kansas also has a strict voter ID law, which a federal government study this year said suppressed turnout by about 2 percent. It had a greater impact on young and black voters.

“These laws should give us pause,” Ms. Weiser said. “They’re creating disenfranchisement. We have enough information to gauge what the order of magnitude is, and it’s close to the order of magnitude of the margins of victory.”

But Kansas’ secretary of state, Kris W. Kobach, who wrote the law requiring proof of citizenship to register and a photo ID to vote, dismissed the suggestion that it had played a role in suppressing turnout. “Voter turnout in the November 2014 election was 50 percent, exactly what it was in the November 2010 election, before we adopted our photo ID law — also 50 percent,” he said.

Mr. Kobach said, “The facts show that photo ID did not reduce turnout, and proof of citizenship did not stop Kansas from setting an all-time high in the number of registered voters.”

Ms. Weiser said she was not implying that any of this month’s victories were illegitimate, but other commentators, especially on the left, have not been so restrained, implying that new voter requirements are already deciding elections.

But there are problems in leaping to such conclusions, voting experts said. In North Carolina, despite the elimination of seven days of early voting, overall early voting was up by 35 percent compared with 2010, according to the United States Election Project at the University of Florida.

Election experts said that to determine how many voters were disenfranchised because of the restrictions, it would be necessary to control for many factors, including differences in turnout by blacks when President Obama was not a candidate and the competitiveness of the race.

“Turnout is complex and affected by many things,” said Paul Gronke, director of the Early Voting Information Center at Reed College. “I think it is far too early to assess the impact of changes in voting laws on turnout.”

Voting rights advocates argue that the test of restrictive laws should not be how they affect turnout in any given election or even whether they swing individual elections, but simply whether they disenfranchise any voters.

“Wholly apart from the question whether there’s going to be any demonstrable effect on turnout or election outcomes, there’s a real harm here,” said Richard L. Hasen, an election law expert at the University of California, Irvine. “Nobody should be denied the right to vote who’s eligible, absent good reason.”

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
538 plants a seed of doubt:

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 23, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MC Nietzche posted:

The only reason I think Cruz legit has a shot is because this is not 2012, the GOP does not have a clear 2nd place person to hand the nomination to the way they did with Romney. At best they have an establishment candidate in Jeb. However, even in 2012 Romney did not sweep the board, he won it through painful attrition. What I am afraid of is that Cruz actually manages to knock out a few of the challengers before the primary proper starts, and he actually manages to energize the base. He wins a couple of primaries, people weak on Bush move to join the Cruzmentum, and he wins the long game.

Was the Imagine speech ridiculous? To a leftist sure, but we're not who he's talking to, he's going to run a strong, sober God, Guns and Death to Taxes campaign, and he's going to be strong in the debates. Even with his strengths, he has a long road to walk and it is a very long shot, but I don't think it's impossible for him to clinch it if a few things go right for him and a few things go wrong for Bush. Cruz is not Santorum, or :newt: To my mind he's a way tougher and smarter contender than either of those guys, and Bush is going to have to battle the same anti-establishment forces that made those rear end-clowns frontrunners against Romney.

After the obvious establishment candidate (Bush), Cruz's biggest hurdle is Walker (and to a lesser extent, Perry).

Santorum and Huckabee might energize the religious right but I think they're going to be fractured as a voting bloc between the two and the other Tea Party candidates. Carson sounds good now but I'd be surprised if he doesn't now out before Iowa for being a lightweight. Rubio has immigration hanging around his neck.

But Walker has enough history as a rubber stamp for Tea Party legislation and has proven to be so in bed with the Kochs that Cruz is going to have a hard time getting donations with most of the establishment money going to Bush either way.

If Cruz can knock out Walker early, however, his path to the nomination suddenly doesn't seem so far-fetched, since he's basically the strongest anti-establishment candidate and Koch money probably won't go to Perry and definitely not Bush.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Jrodefeld in the libertarian/AnCap thread shed some light on how libertarians apparently view candidates like Cruz - he recognizes that Cruz will never win, that there will probably never be a hardcore libertarian president, and that a libertarian president couldn't necessarily even change that much without support in Congress, but libertarians are convinced candidates like Cruz "get people talking" about libertarianism, in a way that will set the stage for a mainstream libertarian political movement. As if people don't already know what libertarianism is and find it pretty repulsive.

This isn't a real libertarian position, though. This is a map of the mental gymnastics libertarians will perform to justify voting for Ted Cruz. In reality it's because libertarians at best don't care about social issues and at worst are actually social conservatives.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

I don't think Huckabee is in this one, surely he isn't both hawking the biblical cancer cure and going to pretend to be a viable candidate for president.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

After the obvious establishment candidate (Bush), Cruz's biggest hurdle is Walker (and to a lesser extent, Perry).

If Cruz can knock out Walker early, however, his path to the nomination suddenly doesn't seem so far-fetched, since he's basically the strongest anti-establishment candidate and Koch money probably won't go to Perry and definitely not Bush.

Yeah, my analysis is completely discounting Perry because I fully expect him to embarrass himself once again in the debates. I mean, Perry was a lightweight even among the relatively fluffy field of 2012, which does not bode well for him.

As for Walker, I think that people in DnD tend to oversell him at Cruz's expense. The Koch's, above all else, want to avoid being humiliated. In my opinion, that's why they are spending 800 million dollars to basically start their own party. If they see their boy Walker get pantsed on national television, which I fully expect Cruz to do, I think that's going to take a lot of shine off the apple and all of a sudden that money is going to be going to Cruz. The Koch's could also double down on Walker, and try to drown Cruz in a supertanker of money, but the path of least resistance might just be shoving Walker down the memory hole.

Three Olives posted:

I don't think Huckabee is in this one, surely he isn't both hawking the biblical cancer cure and going to pretend to be a viable candidate for president.

I think Huckabee was done the moment Romney leaked that devastating attack ad calling Huckabee out for his pardons.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Some right wing talking head wrote an article or blog post about this right after the 2012 election and it immediately took hold among the right as gospel truth. I think it fixated upon the fact that there were something like 6 million fewer voters for Romney than McCain, so rather than examine the reasons behind this there was a simple assumption that 6 million GOP voters stayed home. It would be pretty important to examine stuff like just how many GOP voters can be expected to die or become too medically infirm to vote every four years (an interesting question, given the demographics), how many actually voted but voted for the other party, etc.

But no. The true GOP electorate waits for Zombie Reagan to arise from his dreamless slumber to begin his terrible reign.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Who else can cure the spiritual cancer afflicting America? :colbert:

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Zwabu posted:

Some right wing talking head wrote an article or blog post about this right after the 2012 election and it immediately took hold among the right as gospel truth. I think it fixated upon the fact that there were something like 6 million fewer voters for Romney than McCain, so rather than examine the reasons behind this there was a simple assumption that 6 million GOP voters stayed home. It would be pretty important to examine stuff like just how many GOP voters can be expected to die or become too medically infirm to vote every four years (an interesting question, given the demographics), how many actually voted but voted for the other party, etc.

But no. The true GOP electorate waits for Zombie Reagan to arise from his dreamless slumber to begin his terrible reign.

I think this is kind of always at the backs of their minds, whether they say it or not. After all, the whole reason for American conservatism is to protect "Real America," which sort of requires that much or most of American be conservative. When they lose, it's because Real Americans didn't show up.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MC Nietzche posted:

Yeah, my analysis is completely discounting Perry because I fully expect him to embarrass himself once again in the debates. I mean, Perry was a lightweight even among the relatively fluffy field of 2012, which does not bode well for him.

As for Walker, I think that people in DnD tend to oversell him at Cruz's expense. The Koch's, above all else, want to avoid being humiliated. In my opinion, that's why they are spending 800 million dollars to basically start their own party. If they see their boy Walker get pantsed on national television, which I fully expect Cruz to do, I think that's going to take a lot of shine off the apple and all of a sudden that money is going to be going to Cruz. The Koch's could also double down on Walker, and try to drown Cruz in a supertanker of money, but the path of least resistance might just be shoving Walker down the memory hole.

You might be right, but I think the Kochs would probably err on the side of having a literal yes man in the White House over someone with substance but who is on their side. Walker might be an intellectual lightweight, but he has never bitten the hands that feed him and has managed to build a coalition of voters across several of the pillars of the modern Republican Party.

Cruz, on the other hand, has been too eager to burn bridges in the party and I'm not sure the Kochs can be certain that they won't be burned by supporting him. Plus, Cruz is at a severe fundraising disadvantage so long as the Kochs can back Walker without backing an announced candidate while Cruz has to live within FEC guidelines. And the longer that goes on, the harder it is for Cruz to get a leg up and survive the first few debates while Walker burns through what remains of the Kochs' seed money.

If Cruz can secure a big sugar daddy early enough though, he might have a chance. After all, I haven't heard who Adelson is going to back this go around.

EDIT: Basically this:

uncurable mlady posted:

lol fuckin ted cruz will be lucky to make it to iowa if he's announcing in march, dude gotta be broke as a joke and unless he's planning to santorum it across Iowa I don't really see him having enough cash to really stay in the mix

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 23, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Mineaiki posted:

This isn't a real libertarian position, though. This is a map of the mental gymnastics libertarians will perform to justify voting for Ted Cruz. In reality it's because libertarians at best don't care about social issues and at worst are actually social conservatives.

In what universe is Cruz even a libertarian?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol fuckin ted cruz will be lucky to make it to iowa if he's announcing in march, dude gotta be broke as a joke and unless he's planning to santorum it across Iowa I don't really see him having enough cash to really stay in the mix

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You might be right, but I think the Kochs would probably err on the side of having a literal yes man in the White House over someone with substance but who is on their side. Walker might be an intellectual lightweight, but he has never bitten the hands that feed him and has managed to build a coalition of voters across several of the pillars of the modern Republican Party.

Cruz, on the other hand, has been too eager to burn bridges in the party and I'm not sure the Kochs can be certain that they won't be burned by supporting him. Plus, Cruz is at a severe fundraising disadvantage so long as the Kochs can back Walker without backing an announced candidate while Cruz has to live within FEC guidelines. And the longer that goes on, the harder it is for Cruz to get a leg up and survive the first few debates while Walker burns the Kochs' seed money.

Good points. There is also another possibility we may be discounting: Walker just doesn't run at all. Right now the Republican field stands at 1, Ted Cruz. That's definitely going to change, but we really don't actually know who is going to be running for the big job at this point.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I think we should wait and see how the post-Liberty talk around Cruz goes before we get really into his chances. It was a pretty important political move, so he might have just gotten a lot of support. He's obviously really gunning for the social conservatives, probably because he knows he has better chances there than Walker already.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zwabu posted:

That was Steve Sailer with a post on racist website VDARE who argued that rather than make inroads with minorities, get more whites to vote. His logic was "whites votes for Romney, of the percent that stayed home X were white, all of them would have voted for Romney because they were white and whites voted for Romney, X+Romney's total > Obama's total, so the GOP needs to make a pitch to activate more white voters". At the time he was ignore by the talking R heads and mocked by data wonks, and the GOP came out with their post election document saying "we need to do better with Hispanics, blacks, women, and youth voters." But the base ate it up and you got that document steadily pushed back, and now stuff like the GOP response to the "Arab voters" comments in Israeli elections where the GOP is in full defense of racially split voting and racial fear GOTV.

Things are getting ugly. I think Walker will run the worst campaign in those grounds

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

He doesn't have to be, as long as he's pro-business. The point is that libertarians will still vote for him and similar candidates. Rand will obviously draw most of their votes, but still.

I remember the last VA Gubernatorial election and listening to all the libertarians justifying voting for Ken Cuccinelli, an ultra-conservative known for throwing away tax money on ridiculous politically-charged lawsuits, over Sarvis, who was an actual libertarian candidate and just happened to have a high chance of losing. Libertarians are just another group of people happy with the status quo and afraid of progressive government policy. They'll vote for anyone who promises to protect them from taxes and the horror of having to serve black people at their businesses.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if it'll be possible anymore to run sucessfully for president without having attended an Ivy school (Or be very rich)

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

republican identity politics is structured around the way you choose to prioritize your hatred.

southern republicans hate blacks the most and generally don't care about other policy matters as long as you promise to keep the Uppity Coloreds in their place.

right-libertarians and coastal republicans hate taxes and Government the most. They hate black people too, but structure that hatred around blacks as agents/motivators of Big Government and taxation.

southwestern republicans hate mexicans the most. They hate taxes and blacks too, but these issues are less severe to them because they don't pay any taxes and don't have any blacks.

you wouldn't find Cruz drinking at a bar with either proudhon or ayn rand, but he and the tea party movement in general can be described as broadly right-libertarian in the sense that Big Gumbent is their single biggest rhetorical target. The fact that Big Gumbent is dogwhistle talk and a lot of them would probably be cool with an authoritarian state if it enforced biblical norms is a different matter, as they have chosen to pursue their goals in a libertarian manner.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 23, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uncurable mlady posted:

a good post

I think Cruz' ego will make him run a national campaign and he won't end up doing the glad-handing expected in Iowa and New Hampshire. Jumping in this early is a bad move.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Zwabu posted:

That's an interesting 'fact' to focus on, since Romney actually got half a million votes more than McCain, while Obama lost about 4 million.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

Democrats On Cruz Presidential Campaign Announcement: ‘Sent Shivers Down’ Our Spine

LYNCHBURG, Virginia — In what was clearly meant to be an attack on Sen. Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign, announced shortly after midnight, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) may have accidentally admitted that it’s worried about a Cruz GOP presidential campaign—noting in an email to supporters that his announcement “sent shivers down” their spines.

“If you’re like us, just reading that phrase probably sent shivers down your spine or produced a pretty serious roll of the eyes,” the DNC said in what it calls a “Factivist” email to supporters early on Monday. “But as of this moment, Texas Senator Ted Cruz is officially running for president, and if we don’t do everything in our power to stop him, the possibility of President Ted Cruz could become a reality.”

It listed out three things the Democrats want their base to think about Cruz.

“He led the GOP’s government shutdown, costing the economy a staggering $24 billion, as part of a personal crusade to take away quality health care from millions of Americans and give control back to the insurance companies,” the DNC email stated. “He has obstructed everything from raising the minimum wage to paycheck fairness to immigration reform. He would give corporations and the richest Americans huge tax breaks, at the expense of working Americans.”

The email concluded by encouraging Democratic activists to sign up for DNC lists, and get involved in their “Factivists” program.

Cruz became the first high profile 2016 presidential candidate for the White House to announce his campaign, and did so via Twitter–a first. Even Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), an establishment Republican who previously called Cruz a “wackobird” and has endorsed Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) for president, acknowledged it’s very possible Cruz may win the Republican nomination. During an interview on CNN’s State of the Union on Sunday before Cruz’s announcement, McCain said he would back Cruz should he win the GOP nomination.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/03/23/democrats-on-cruz-presidential-campaign-announcement-sent-shivers-down-our-spine/

Worrisome.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if it'll be possible anymore to run sucessfully for president without having attended an Ivy school (Or be very rich)

Scott Walker~

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Cruz is, by all appearances, one of the subscribers to that theory, and he thinks he will be the one to awaken and motivate these voters.

You gotta admit if Cruz has in fact mastered the dark art of necromancy it would be a pretty neat parlor trick.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I believe Cruz and Carson are the only candidates in the Republican field this year who attended Ivies.

eta: :lol: Nope, Trump went to UPenn.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Penn is one of the "lesser Ivies" according to Cruz.

• Locked thread