Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

makoto20 posted:

I know Rick isn't the hero but is he even a protagonist at this point?

Protagonist is central character regardless of alignment, Tony Soprano and Walter White were protagonists of their shows while becoming progressively more villainous as time went on.

Scooter_McCabe posted:

People I want to die next episode:

Glenn

What kind monster would want one of the last decent human beings left dead :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rick and crew are bad at politics when they legitimately have all the aummunition they need to depose Deanna and crew through popular opinion.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kill all the useless people and leave Rick, Daryl, Carol & Glenn. Ok i guess Eugene can live too, and Rosita because shes hot.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
God the writing in this is so terrible, has it been the same team of writers for the series run?

Anyone know if the line "It's their world now, we only live in it" was in the comics, cause ughhhhh.

But despite that I watch it every week.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Wolves are gonna show up next episode and Rick and Deeanna are gonna have to learn how to work together?

Or do the Wolves show up and everyone pledges undying loyalty to Rick, the murder-king of the walking lands?

nopants
May 29, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

The Wolves are gonna show up next episode and Rick and Deeanna are gonna have to learn how to work together?

Or do the Wolves show up and everyone pledges undying loyalty to Rick, the murder-king of the walking lands?

The second one. The Murder-King of Ton DC will reign.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Michonne: I'm the big person here. I'm the rational one.

Rick: Now I'm so dumb and goddamn crazy!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I really doubt the arrival the of Wolves is going to be any more then a set up for a huge season 6 premiere. Unless the S5 finale is 2 hours long there's no way the Wolves are going to show up and do anything more then become the new terrible enemy that puts Alexandria in a bind.

So, the wolves are in the comics I guess, but given that they brand and "herd" walkers towards secure places, will horrifically kill women by tying them to trees, they are clearly large and organized, so I can't tell if they are going to take over Alexandria or just knock down the walls.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So Capt. Michonne took Det. Rick off the force for being a loose cannon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Decent ep. Hard to follow last weeks though. Kind of frustrated how they're taking this Rick/Pete/Deanna thing unless the resolution is awesome I think I prefer how the comics handled it.

Comic spoilers:
I was sure the wolves were the small group that gets owned right quick in the comics, but it seems like they're setting it up kind of either as the saviors or the whisperers (based on Enid's "it's their world now" thing. That or they're setting her up to be Lydia or Alpha later on

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Also, can someone please teach michonne's actress how to hold a gun ffs

Edit oh god that carol sneak peak holy poo poo you crazy wonderful woman lol

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

GrAviTy84 posted:

Decent ep. Hard to follow last weeks though. Kind of frustrated how they're taking this Rick/Pete/Deanna thing unless the resolution is awesome I think I prefer how the comics handled it.

Comic spoilers:
I was sure the wolves were the small group that gets owned right quick in the comics, but it seems like they're setting it up kind of either as the saviors or the whisperers (based on Enid's "it's their world now" thing. That or they're setting her up to be Lydia or Alpha later on

Would be cool if the W's were from the Saviors branding/culling Whisperers.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

ddiddles posted:

God the writing in this is so terrible

I get the impression that the writing "team" is given no leeway in creating real drama. So much in this show relies on slowly building tension, but every time it's released as a sputtering wet fart.

In this episode alone:
Sasha knocked to the ground, gnashing walker! She's fine.
Carl surrounded by walkers! Hides in a tree trunk.
Rick claims that he's going to ultimatum Dr.EtoH; gets in a fistfight and no one dies.
Coward grabs the J-Gun, later rushes to the Dr.Rick brawl! Nah not gonna use it.
The loving preacher wasn't even in this episode, despite the mild cliffhanger last week.

It's not my assertion that every scene must have action, just that most of the episodes now are filled with meaningless action and uninteresting character drama that doesn't pay off at all. Jump-scare knockdowns by zombies that end with grabbing that knife just-out-of-reach are so goddamn trite 50 episodes in.

Rick should have died at the end of that snarling monologue. His character built up to that moment and now I have to watch him be another vanilla Michonne/Daryl character that long-outlives the writers' capacity to make him interesting or dynamic.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Lycus posted:

So Capt. Michonne took Det. Rick off the force for being a loose cannon.

Turn in your badge and your stolen gun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I missed the sneak peek, is it on youtube or something?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SinistralRifleman posted:

Rick and crew are bad at politics when they legitimately have all the aummunition they need to depose Deanna and crew through popular opinion.

This, jesus christ no wonder law enforcement is so terrible in the US if this is anything to go by.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
God these people suck. Bring on the Ricktatorship.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
You mean Carolxandria.

"...Eugeneburg?"
"It's a little bitty place."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
So Aaron and Darryl are looking for survivors. They find a camp but decide not to use binoculars or their fancy listening device? Those could have helped the mystery of the guy who's arms and legs fell off or the lady that got the emergency C section.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

moist turtleneck posted:

So Aaron and Darryl are looking for survivors. They find a camp but decide not to use binoculars or their fancy listening device? Those could have helped the mystery of the guy who's arms and legs fell off or the lady that got the emergency C section.

All they showed so far was a campfire way off in the distance.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This show spends an incomprehensible amount of time building up things that probably can't live up to the build up. Hopefully the season finale ends with a shot of Morgan eating a can of beans and taking a piss as he finishes the first half of his journey towards the show.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
This show is the most entertaining when Rick is a murderous psychopath. I want them to kill off Sasha because her dumb suicide squad PTSD tantrums are boring as gently caress and no one gives a poo poo.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

SBJ posted:

This show is the most entertaining when Rick is a murderous psychopath. I want them to kill off Sasha because her dumb suicide squad PTSD tantrums are boring as gently caress and no one gives a poo poo.

I think it's because everyone has had one. Rick when he lost Laurie, Tyrsese has had them on accident several times when he gets trapped in an area with 100 zombies and a hammer, Abraham just last week, I'm sure the list goes on. But the point is, everyone has been there done that.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

delfin posted:

You mean Carolxandria.

"...Eugeneburg?"
"It's a little bitty place."

I laughed harder than I should at this reference.

:golfclap:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

GrAviTy84 posted:

Kind of frustrated how they're taking this Rick/Pete/Deanna thing unless the resolution is awesome I think I prefer how the comics handled it.

Huh? That's playing out almost exactly as it did in the comics, the biggest difference being that they started the romance between Rick and Jessie before the conflict rather than after it, and even then Jessie is the one who comes on to him and he's reluctant to pursue it at first. Crashing out the window, fighting in the street, the gun and rant, Michonne hitting Rick were all the same.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ars Arcanum posted:

This is all true, though Rick's motives seem warped with his creepy thing for Jessie (though it's even creepier that everyone else is just kind of Ok with Pete being an abusive rear end in a top hat)

Also, I like seeing how difficult it is for Rick to shift back into his old persona now. He used to be able to maintain it for much longer periods of time, but the ever-growing shitball that has been his life for the past couple years has been cracking steadily away at that. Countdown til he just grows his beard back in and just bites out the carotid of anyone he doesn't like.

Well, the world has changed, there isn't time to bullshit around and there isn't a system to deal with complex issues. It all breaks down to two choices; live or die. All the times he's been patient and took time to handle things has come around and backfired heavily on him and the group. So much like sasha has taken on the "charge the enemy" mentality, so has rick, though their enemies are different.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm enjoying how much crazier and crazier Rick is getting. While he has good reason to remove a wife beater, he's also obviously using it to get rid of Pete and claim Jesse to perhaps form his own twisted family. It's so creepy and manipulative.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Now that Rick has shaved, the only thing missing from his character arc is mysteriously dumping potable water on his head, on the ground, etc. We've already got him going crazy and lusting after some guy's wife. I guess he doesn't want to be that other kid's dad yet though.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Noirex posted:

I'm enjoying how much crazier and crazier Rick is getting. While he has good reason to remove a wife beater, he's also obviously using it to get rid of Pete and claim Jesse to perhaps form his own twisted family. It's so creepy and manipulative.

Rick's never been quite the same after he spent a week or two baking in the sun at the prison and the whole phone thing.

Reivur
Nov 9, 2013
(stares at the announced guests for next week's talking dead)
... D:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Also, can someone please teach michonne's actress how to hold a gun ffs

Edit oh god that carol sneak peak holy poo poo you crazy wonderful woman lol

Also I'm kind of glad she holds the gun wonky, considering she doesn't use them really. Kind of wished she fired a few misses.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Huh? That's playing out almost exactly as it did in the comics, the biggest difference being that they started the romance between Rick and Jessie before the conflict rather than after it, and even then Jessie is the one who comes on to him and he's reluctant to pursue it at first. Crashing out the window, fighting in the street, the gun and rant, Michonne hitting Rick were all the same.

it's so much shorter in the comics iirc. maybe it just felt that way because it was there and over in like one issue. Also Rick never pulls the gun on Douglas it was like, shown tucked into his boot or something and Douglas sees it and says basically what someone else said "you didn't use it which shows you have restraint" and basically allows rick to carry a gun from then on. Basically, I'm frustrated that they're making Rick out to be a sociopath and Deanna out to be an ignorant idiot when Douglas is way more realistic and Rick in the comics is in control all the time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was half expecting Sasha to miss one of the walkers and take out one of the support beams.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

ddiddles posted:

God the writing in this is so terrible, has it been the same team of writers for the series run?

Anyone know if the line "It's their world now, we only live in it" was in the comics, cause ughhhhh.

But despite that I watch it every week.

Why? You know no one will think less of you if actually admit liking something.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Tellah posted:

Rick should have died at the end of that snarling monologue. His character built up to that moment and now I have to watch him be another vanilla Michonne/Daryl character that long-outlives the writers' capacity to make him interesting or dynamic.

I'm pretty sure this is heresy. Rick dying? I don't think I can handle no Ranger Rick

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The only person who I would probably care about dying is Carol. Glenn would also suck to lose, but the rest could easily die without me being bothered by it that much.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Rick's never been quite the same after he spent a week or two baking in the sun at the prison and the whole phone thing.

True, but that's more mental trauma. What he's doing right now is making decisions that mirrors Shane's violent, creepy obsession with another man's wife.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Shooting Blanks posted:

I missed the sneak peek, is it on youtube or something?

Finally found a copy, not sure why it isn't on AMC at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5xePS711k

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think that's a bit much. I mean it's obviously there. Rick is obviously attracted to Jessie and is conflicted about how much of this is about that and how much is just about doing what's right. But Shane was on the flip side of things. Shane did things that were selfish and then rationalized them as necessary. Rick knows that dealing with Pete is necessary and has had all the proper discussions with Carol and Deanna about it, but the fact that it also feeds into his selfish desires is troubling. And it's clearly troubling him.

Shane never actually questioned himself or worried about his motivations.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
I need rick to grow the beard back. Its so much better with the beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's a bit much. I mean it's obviously there. Rick is obviously attracted to Jessie and is conflicted about how much of this is about that and how much is just about doing what's right. But Shane was on the flip side of things. Shane did things that were selfish and then rationalized them as necessary. Rick knows that dealing with Pete is necessary and has had all the proper discussions with Carol and Deanna about it, but the fact that it also feeds into his selfish desires is troubling. And it's clearly troubling him.

Shane never actually questioned himself or worried about his motivations.

I think it plays into his animalistic tendencies. He pretty much said "if you want something you take it". He wants Jessie. The conflict is between pure animalism of the outside world vs the sheer ignorance inside the walls. They have to find a middle ground. Rick has lost his foundation ever since Herschel died, I would argue that that was more traumatizing to his character than losing his dumb rear end wife was. They had pretty much admitted to each other that their marriage was poo poo right before she died.

• Locked thread