Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Killer robot posted:

I figure it only dumps on anything if you make a map of proposals that pass and survive court challenges. Failed thrashing by shrinking minorities on the wrong side of history is more schadenfreude.
The problem is that some of these may survive challenge, and will make life miserable for people for years before they get overturned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PhilippAchtel posted:

Funnily enough, rigorous study of the Bible as itself inspired by other works in a long tradition of Middle Eastern literature does a lot to take the wind out of the Uniquely Inspired By God interpretation. This isn't a problem for literature or history scholars, but any study of the Pentateuch, etc that put them in their proper historical context would be rejected as antireligious, just as evolutionary theory is fought as one "side" of a controversy rather than simply the best theory that fits the facts.

Edit: "Facts have a liberal bias" etc. :(

Yeah - it was strictly in a literature sense, not as a historical source, since there was a hell of a lot of the whole "THIS CITY-STATE BROUGHT TO YOU BY TIAMAT" type stuff and it was part of a good background on how those religions worked into daily life. A bit like reading Beowulf in a medieval history class. You know stuff like the Grendel is a load of poo poo but you also know stuff Beowulf did was heroic and from that you can infer certain aspects of society, such as how people partied and what was glorified.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Why do they want to eliminate the University of Illinois?

Oh wait, that's why.

Call it a hunch, but I think it's because you can't make freedom of speech arguments against a private non-public institution for higher learning.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Why do they want to eliminate the University of Illinois?

Oh wait, that's why.

What better way to improve education by addition of profit motivation through worship of Free Market?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I thought privatization was good? Why are they calling it nonpublic?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

The Bible is essential context of English/Western literature and that should at least be discussed. Honestly it's unavoidable if you want to make a real attempt to teach art, literature, and history.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The problem is that some of these may survive challenge, and will make life miserable for people for years before they get overturned.

So you're saying you agree with exactly what I said.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DemeaninDemon posted:

What better way to improve education by addition of profit motivation through worship of Free Market?

Isn't that pretty much every university in the US though?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, the crowd at a Tom Cotton foreign policy event waits to hear how he'll deal with the Barbary pirates.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, the crowd at a Tom Cotton foreign policy event waits to hear how he'll deal with the Barbary pirates.

If they really wanted to go full on time period I don't think they would allow women to participate in a political capacity.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Killer robot posted:

So you're saying you agree with exactly what I said.
It sounded like you assumed they wouldn't pass/would be overturned quickly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joementum posted:

Write a bitchy letter to the Pasha's brother promising to reneg on any deals Jefferson makes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Ah, fair enough.

Now lets freak out about AP Art history classes having exams on the saints!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Sort of but they hide it behind NCAA trophies and articles published in high-impact journals. Being non-public lets them remove it and just go 'gently caress you got mine.'

Also gives them protections to gently caress over people they don't like.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I actually thought it might be related to Salaita, but it doesn't make sense to me. It'd be an insane overreaction to a single case, and while the Republican Party is known for that, it's so over-the-top I'm guessing it has to do more with both blocking the lower classes access to higher education and "small government." Also, I imagine some of them want to make UI a for-profit institution :suicide:

Gravel Gravy posted:

Look that new rec center ain't gonna build itself :colbert:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The original GQ article about it is no longer available online, as far as I can tell, but I found another one that had all of the slides saved.

Personally, I'm more upset about how bad a cabinet level ppt presentation is designed, those fonts and colors are terrible and everything is a jumbled mess.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Yik Yak is a smart phone app that allows you to make anonymous comments about events in your area. It is incredibly overvalued even by app standards and not very social for social media, but it has a strong following among college students who want to use it to complain about things at their schools without catching blowback for them (eg Butler students not caring about march madness).

This includes the students at Liberty University, where Ted Cruz is announcing his run for president
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-23/ted-cruz-has-skeptics-at-liberty-and-they-use-yik-yak

When even the most dogmatically indoctrinated youth are sniping at you, you may have an outreach problem

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Now lets freak out about AP Art history classes having exams on the saints!

Nah, they are generally good examples of classical art for study of design and layout.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I actually thought it might be related to Salaita, but it doesn't make sense to me. It'd be an insane overreaction to a single case, and while the Republican Party is known for that, it's so over-the-top I'm guessing it has to do more with both blocking the lower classes access to higher education and "small government." Also, I imagine some of them want to make UI a for-profit institution :suicide:

I'm not saying you're wrong. If it was just about Salaita they probably wouldn't do it. But Salaita goes hand in hand with the rest of the stuff you mentioned, and if you've got one stone, and a second bird lands next to that one you've been sizing up for some time...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CommieGIR posted:

It is fantastic literature.

But I guarantee if you place it in public school, it will be taught as anything but fantastic literature. Its not the Bible that is the problem, its the people who already want to turn the Public Education system into their personal evangelical seminary.

Why don't they just found private Catholic/Protestant school boards like in Canada?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Number crunching on the republican budgets is in - 69% of cuts from programs for people with low or modest incomes

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=5289

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Considering the complete irrelevance the Illinois Republican party has in the legislature that bill is pretty pointless. They've controlled the House once in the last 60+ years (95-96, when the contract with America went nation wide).

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Mister Macys posted:

Why don't they just found private Catholic/Protestant school boards like in Canada?
We only really have a mandated public Catholic system here, I don't see any private school boards.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Blastedhellscape posted:

I can’t see it happening but it would be nice if people were taught that even the plausible sounding stuff in the Old Testament is about as historically accurate as the Epic of Gilgamesh or stories about Hercules. I wasn’t even raised religious but for a long time I just sort of assumed that at some point the Israelites were enslaved by the Egyptians. It’s this story that’s just sort of hammered into you culturally.

It was kind of interesting (and eye opening,) to learn that even the Old Testament stuff that seems like it’s based on some kernel of truth may have been completely made up.

Eh. They probably were actually slaves or otherwise residents of Egypt. Not only do they give their super important leader for all time an Egyptian name, they also made themselves slaves in their own narrative, which is rare. However, they did not build the pyramids, which has somehow become a thing people believe.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Yik Yak is a smart phone app that allows you to make anonymous comments about events in your area. It is incredibly overvalued even by app standards and not very social for social media, but it has a strong following among college students who want to use it to complain about things at their schools without catching blowback for them (eg Butler students not caring about march madness).

This includes the students at Liberty University, where Ted Cruz is announcing his run for president
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-03-23/ted-cruz-has-skeptics-at-liberty-and-they-use-yik-yak

When even the most dogmatically indoctrinated youth are sniping at you, you may have an outreach problem

That they think they are a terrorist target is both adorable and hilarious.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kafka Esq. posted:

We only really have a mandated public Catholic system here, I don't see any private school boards.

Oh, I must have misread that recent Supreme Court decision about Catholic schools being allowed to teach with a Catholic bias then. I thought I saw the word private at some point.

But still, why aren't there catholic school boards? Is it the whole "Protestants founded are country!" thing?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 23, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Radish posted:

That they think they are a terrorist target is both adorable and hilarious.

I don't know, it would sort of make sense. If you're looking to do bin Laden-style terrorism (poke the bear and let him bleed himself out) there'd be worse targets than a room full of America's biggest chickenhawks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I present for your enjoyment World Net Daily Text

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Oh, I must have misread that recent Supreme Court decision about Catholic schools being allowed to teach with a Catholic bias then. I thought I saw the word private at some point.
Not all that recent, it was Corporation of Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints v Amos in 1987 that upheld section 702 of the Civil Rights act of 1964 which allows limited exemption for religious grounds

quote:

this title shall not apply to [...] a religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society with respect to the employment of individuals of a particular religion to perform work connected with the carrying on by such corporation, association, educational institution, or society of its activities

Edit: and there aren't school boards because of how the organizations are incorporated. I don't know of anything that would preclude it, but it would be expensive to alter the current set up and the motivations to keep it how t is gets into the very complicated and rather obscure politics of the Catholic Church and other groups.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2015

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

I present for your enjoyment World Net Daily Text

ooo we're almost at the muslim page sniping era(woops for chat thread that is)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's something really creepy about Ted Cruz announcing his candidacy at what's basically a 10,000 seat megachurch the college is forced to attend.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Five years ago today, the signing of Obamacare. Joe Biden never changes.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's something really creepy about Ted Cruz announcing his candidacy at what's basically a 10,000 seat megachurch the college is forced to attend.

I don't know that there is anything about that situation that isn't creepy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i should get this thing, i didn't even think of the lulz to be had from being so close to liberty

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Is the Wisconsin Voter ID thing the one that was deliberately intended to disenfranchise UW students who are living on campus during elections and not in their hometown?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Five years ago today, the signing of Obamacare. Joe Biden never changes.

You look great in that vest, very clean. Dr. King would be proud.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why is there a small child loitering amid all those congressfolk anyway

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

why is there a small child loitering amid all those congressfolk anyway

He was mentioned in floor speeches during the passage of PPACA. His mother lost her job and died due to lack of healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Chicken posted:

in theory, I'm in full agreement. You could teach a course on idioms from the bible alone, much less getting in to its role in influencing wider literature, art, culture, law, and history.

In practice if you think it wouldn't be the same kind of thin cover that "teach the controversy" is for creationism, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I want to sell you.

I argue for it because I want people to have a good understanding of their culture. I certainly do not want it being taught in History classes that the founding fathers wanted it as the law of the land.

• Locked thread