Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The '7-speed' is a CVT - the DSG is strictly for low output engines

Mooseykins posted:

I think they're good overall. Don't know much about the 7-speed DSGs, but never heard anything bad about them.

Is this sarcasm or are you being serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Mooseykins posted:

I think they're good overall. Don't know much about the 7-speed DSGs, but never heard anything bad about them.

The CVTs are fun in Sport mode, hit peak power, stay there, adjust gearing. They accelerate really quickly for what they are.

I like putting my 2014 Corolla LE in sport mode :shepface:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

dissss posted:

The '7-speed' is a CVT - the DSG is strictly for low output engines

Hmm, not sure about that. The S-Tronic 7-speed is a DSG. The Multitronic is CVT but as far as i know they were only "5/6-speed" with later ones getting some internal shaft/drum modifications and programming to give them a set 6th gear ratio.

Also, the DSGs are generally quite strong, although clunky into gear and can take a fair bit of torque. CVTs really can't, and are only found in lower power FWD cars. I think all Quattro Autos were either conventional automatics or DSGs.

dissss posted:

Serious.. (Referring to the longitudinal DSGs at least. The transverse ones can go gently caress off.)

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 22, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I like putting my 2014 Corolla LE in sport mode :shepface:

dissss posted:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mooseykins posted:

Hmm, not sure about that. The S-Tronic 7-speed is a DSG. The Multitronic is CVT but as far as i know they were only "5/6-speed" with later ones getting some internal shaft/drum modifications and programming to give them a set 6th gear ratio.

The car is too old for that - it'll be the old multitronic which was '7 speed' at that time (8 speed in the next model)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

dissss posted:

The car is too old for that - it'll be the old multitronic which was '7 speed' at that time (8 speed in the next model)

Oh, didn't know there was a 7-speed Multitronic.

In that case, godspeed, cakefool's brother's Audi.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

Considering how great japanese CVT's are, I can't even imagine what a VAG produced one would be like.

I am so deeply amused that Toyota sourced an asin transmission and made it unreliable.
They did the same thing with ZFs by loving with the service intervals. E46 seem to have few transmission issues, b5s, it is a maintence item.
Difference between a 60kish fill and ”lifetime.”

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

CommieGIR posted:

Same, I've grown to fond of working on mine, and honestly have not had any real issues with repairing them. I think people just like finding a manufacturer they dislike and kicking them around, although I must admit that I too am guilty of that.

I would just tell people, "No, those aren't exhausts, they are missile launchers. I HATE tailgaters."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mooseykins posted:

Oh, didn't know there was a 7-speed Multitronic.

In that case, godspeed, cakefool's brother's Audi.

So it's a cvt as well? Holy poo poo :shepface:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

So it's a cvt as well? Holy poo poo :shepface:

Apparently so!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nm posted:

I am so deeply amused that Toyota sourced an asin transmission and made it unreliable.
They did the same thing with ZFs by loving with the service intervals. E46 seem to have few transmission issues, b5s, it is a maintence item.
Difference between a 60kish fill and ”lifetime.”

That explains Toyota. What about Honda and Nissan, purveyors of the finest self-destroying CVT's?

Mooseykins posted:

Apparently so!

Hahahahahahaha.

Looking forward to that car appearing in this thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

I'd like to think each of those exhausts are tuned differently and they all have solenoids and a controller so it can play music as you drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjbkosISj8&t=6s

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slavvy posted:

That explains Toyota. What about Honda and Nissan, purveyors of the finest self-destroying CVT's?

I typoed. Sub VW for Toyota. Aisin is Toyotas main transmission supplier (and as a result Toyotas have few transmission problems). I was amazed that VW could take basically a toyota transmission and gently caress that up

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

I typoed. Sub VW for Toyota. Aisin is Toyotas main transmission supplier (and as a result Toyotas have few transmission problems). I was amazed that VW could take basically a toyota transmission and gently caress that up

Meanwhile, at volkswagen

"eets too zimple. it'll never verk. i vant more clutches here, here and here, a pump zer. Make zis plastic, put ze pan on ze top."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nm posted:

Oh. I got confused because Toyota CVT's break all the loving time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Oh. I got confused because Toyota CVT's break all the loving time.

The only Toyota CVT we get (excepting really really new cars) in the US is on the hybrids and while those are a completely different system, they're basically flawless.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah calling the hybrid CVT a CVT, whilst accurate in a technical sense, is a bit insulting to the hybrid drive because it lumps it in with actual CVT's which are all terrible. I'd say that 20 series prius is probably the most reliable toyota made during the 00's. Presumably this was because they were so worried about market backlash from hybrids being perceived as unreliable that they went out of their way to build them properly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nissan did a completely one off CVT design for their early 2000s large RWDs that was completely incompatible with the fluid used in their FWD models. Using the wrong fluid would completely destroy the transmission (obviously)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Yeah calling the hybrid CVT a CVT, whilst accurate in a technical sense, is a bit insulting to the hybrid drive because it lumps it in with actual CVT's which are all terrible. I'd say that 20 series prius is probably the most reliable toyota made during the 00's. Presumably this was because they were so worried about market backlash from hybrids being perceived as unreliable that they went out of their way to build them properly.

That's my theory too. When Toyota tries to do something right, they can be amazing. Which separates it from VW (I assume they're trying.).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Terrible Car Stuff:

I'm thinking of selling the MS6 and buying a boring and sensible Scion XB.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Terrible Car Stuff:

That is terrible. At least buy something less boring.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Terrible Car Stuff:

This is a bad decision and you will regret it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I said it was terrible!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Terrible Car Stuff:

Get one with the manual and it'll be fun. I test drove one after I made that "Holy crap I want this RS model look how tacky and awesome it is" post a while back, it was actually kinda neat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Nissan did a completely one off CVT design for their early 2000s large RWDs that was completely incompatible with the fluid used in their FWD models. Using the wrong fluid would completely destroy the transmission (obviously)

Bonus points: the two CVT fluids look almost identical visually...but aren't!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

everythingihateaboutsuprasandtheirowners.jpg

I really want to know what went on here, you can just feel the frosted tips and hear the darude.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

I really want to know what went on here, you can just feel the frosted tips and hear the darude.

Sexy car/woman combo, I'm confused what your problem is.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
She is a real poser.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I genuinely wonder what happens at places that design/manufacture bodykits to end up creating and selling something that looks like that. None of that kits lines work with the car at all...

Like this one, where the gently caress are those lines going on the side skirt?

Somebody designed this and someone else OKd it for production. And then someone bought it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
It's because they're using two different companies body kits (C-West front, Veilside sides, can't tell on the rear bumper, might be Veilside?l). Jamming different companies' bodykits doesn't work together.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PCOS Bill posted:

Sexy car/woman combo, I'm confused what your problem is.

Astonishing Wang posted:

She is a real poser.

She looks like she's reenacting my high school's mock drunk driving crash scene with the same enthusiasm as the students forced to participate.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The MA70 and JZA70 Supras look wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than the JZA80.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Terrible Car Stuff:

Gross don't buy that ugly rear end box car. Get some other hatch that isn't hideous.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Gross don't buy that ugly rear end box car. Get some other hatch that isn't hideous.

My mom just bought an xB and she LOVES it!! You wanna be like my mom Rhyno? She's pretty cool overall.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of waiting to see how the iA/iM look that are getting 'revealed' soon. One is going to be the US Toyota Auris, I can't remember which. Definitely going to give that a look. But this is the Terrible thread, not New car thread.

I hate how the xB looks on the exterior, but the interior is pretty neat and well laid out.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Octopus Magic posted:

So what is the photographer trying to say with the picture, with the girl displaying her sexual availability to the car, but with her eyes focused on the viewer?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

joat mon posted:

So what is the photographer trying to say with the picture, with the girl displaying her sexual availability to the car, but with her eyes focused on the viewer?

With this sentence you've put more thought into it than the photographer, I'd bet.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rhyno get a kia rio hatch. It's cheaper and less boxlike than the xB.
http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/rio-5-door/2015/experience

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Rhyno get a kia rio hatch. It's cheaper and less boxlike than the xB.
http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/rio-5-door/2015/experience

Yeah, but the xB has ~20 cubic feet more cargo capacity with the seats down vs the Rio 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
All i keep thinking is that her jacket and pants are ruined after laying down on an asphalt parking lot.