Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InterceptorV8 posted:

https://youtu.be/kSOWnWL7Kl0

Let's discuss this video instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykXfo50MDxs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

InterceptorV8 posted:

https://youtu.be/kSOWnWL7Kl0

Let's discuss this video instead.

Lot of kink-shaming going on...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
https://youtu.be/JoeYmG7KDaM

I ain't got no panties on.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Christ I need to keep my CB on all the time this poo poo is gold.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Apparently the mumbly guy from King of the Hill got a job as a trucker after the show ended.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
HIghway is 75, but its been raining today so naturally there is Fiesta doing 50 in the right lane with a Dodge truck stuck behind him wanting to get around. We go around a leftward curve with an exit to the right, Fiesta takes the exit while the Dodge simultaneously jerks left to get around and punches it, then swerves back into the right lane. Dodge then loses control, goes sideways and ended up crashing into the Fiesta that is puttering down the exit ramp.

These. People.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Refusing FSTs in Alaska is it's own crime in and of itself, thanks to implied consent.

Apparently this only applies to the PBT. You can't be charged for refusing to do all the roadside hokey pokey stuff. The standard legal advice is give your license / registration / insurance and keep your mouth shut until you're asked to blow.

And, of course, don't loving drink and drive.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Driving home from work yesterday, saw a dumbass tank commander stop at a red light and have 4 inches of wet heavy snow slide from their roof and cover their whole windshield. Your wipers aren't going to push that out of the way, idiot.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yesterday I was sitting in traffic on a four-lane highway and there was a guy down the road waiting in the center turn lane to make a left turn across our lanes into a driveway. Some rear end in a top hat behind me was driving through the center turn lane to cut traffic, came to the left-turning guy, stopped for a second, got pissed, punched the gas to swerve around him on the wrong side of the road, and came within inches of colliding with an oncoming van head-on. Luckily the van driver swerved out of the way in time, or that would have been a nasty crash. (Sadly it happened a ways down the road and my camera's view was blocked by the truck in front of me, so no video.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On my way home tonight, I watched someone in a minivan make a three point turn in the middle of the road. A four lane road, with a center left turn lane. :downs:

Now I know some vehicles have a big turning radius but I'm pretty sure even the worst vehicle out there can make a u-turn inside a 60 foot width.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

xzzy posted:

On my way home tonight, I watched someone in a minivan make a three point turn in the middle of the road. A four lane road, with a center left turn lane. :downs:

Now I know some vehicles have a big turning radius but I'm pretty sure even the worst vehicle out there can make a u-turn inside a 60 foot width.

You'd be surprised. I used to have a '93 Saturn SL2, and that thing needed at least two and a half lanes (more like three if they were narrow) to make a 180-degree turn. It had a worse turning radius than my '87 Lesabre. Of course, in the Saturn I'd just make a left/right turn and turn around in a parking lot or driveway instead of blocking the road by trying to make a U-turn where I didn't have enough room. :downs:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just discovered a subreddit that applies, that most of you probably don't go to: reddit.com/r/hookit . The sidebar says it's for towing and things, but it's 99% wrecks and burned cars.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PT6A posted:

Apparently the mumbly guy from King of the Hill got a job as a trucker after the show ended.
In one of the last episodes Boomhauer is revealed to be a Texas Ranger, probably specializing in translating mumblemouth into almost English. After 25 years he would have a sweet pension and could retire and shift gears for extra cash, dadgone fm284 washed out gotta double back on doggone fm248 gotta tellem all on the 19.

xzzy posted:

I have made that turn with an 18 wheeler, but to be fair I've also driven road tractors that would need to 3 point turn that u-turn while bobtailing. My favorite time making that turn was on I-81 in Penn, where the DOT had shut down the highway because of a wreck up ahead. I got to use the gravel 'official use only' median crossing, and those are not meant for big rigs. Then I got to re-route myself on the fly. Then I got a dedicated run that keeps me away from the northeast, and I lucked the gently caress out on that one this year.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 22, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I should start keeping a legitimate tally of the number of cars I see driving with high beams each night.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Just saw this:

In a parking lot that looks like this:

I think he could have found a more appropriate place to park like an rear end in a top hat.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

I need at least the width of three lanes plus a turn lane and a little median to complete a 180-degree turn in one motion in my F150.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

N is for Nipples posted:

I need at least the width of three lanes plus a turn lane and a little median to complete a 180-degree turn in one motion in my F150.

I had an I35 that turned that poorly. I now have a g37 that turns as tightly as a mini cooper. There's no good excuses for this unless you are driving a donk. Then there is still no good excuse.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

N is for Nipples posted:

:stare:

I once took my ex's F-150 completely sideways across I-95 near Daytona Beach because i gave it too much throttle and too much steering when joining from a side road. Got a tank slapper going on pretty good and somehow saved it. She was not impressed. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FogHelmut posted:

I should start keeping a legitimate tally of the number of cars I see driving with high beams each night.

I'm not sure I can count that high.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure I can count that high.

I figure I would need some kind of a database.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

I think he could have found a more appropriate place to park like an rear end in a top hat.

But going to the back of the lot where there are plenty of open spaces wouldn't be parking like an rear end in a top hat.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

FogHelmut posted:

I had a similar thought recently. But I realized that I would also need to compare it to the number of people no lights, and those with DRLs only. And another one for those who seem to think red lights are optional. By then, I would be too busy working my spreadsheet to drive properly and would crash into STR since we seem to drive many of the same roads and then I would end up on this thread as one of the bad guys.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Just do what I do and pretend your odometer is keeping count of all the fucksticks you come across. They may not be doing something stupid now, but the odometer knows and counts them all the same.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Just do what I do and pretend your odometer is keeping count of all the fucksticks you come across. They may not be doing something stupid now, but the odometer knows and counts them all the same.

You'd have to triple it. I passed 12 cars with their lights off in the rain this morning during my four mile commute.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

You'd have to triple it. I passed 12 cars with their lights off in the rain this morning during my four mile commute.

Pfft, I passed double that in Chicago this morning which has a decent snow going on right now.

And so many tank commanders, I guess everyone had thought winter was over and put all their brushes in storage.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Pfft, I passed double that in Chicago this morning which has a decent snow going on right now.

And so many tank commanders, I guess everyone had thought winter was over and put all their brushes in storage.

The highway department out here in the 'burbs must have put their salt spreaders in storage, the road was covered in a good 1/4" of ice the entire way in this morning. I was kind of surprised nobody had made it into the ditches yet, but none of us were doing more than 10-15mph either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

Phew, I'm in Peoria and it's just been rain and above freezing. Though the cars of the people who show up at work on time had ice on them.

And I did put my snow brush away yesterday. :-( And paid for a car wash...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bunch of goofballs, I know we've had a few mild winters recently but anyone who's lived in northern Illinois for any length of time knows to be ready for freak snowfall until April. There always seems to be one last gasp of winter before it's well and truly done for the year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Lol if you "put away" your ice-scraper/snow-brush. It goes in the trunk. It needs to be in your car more often than not anyway around here, so finding another place to store it would be an unnecessary hassle for the 1-3 months you almost assuredly won't need it.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

Lol if you "put away" your ice-scraper/snow-brush. It goes in the trunk. It needs to be in your car more often than not anyway around here, so finding another place to store it would be an unnecessary hassle for the 1-3 months you almost assuredly won't need it.

Weight reduction! *drives around with a foot of snow on the roof*

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

I have a big cabinet in my garage. They get laid across the top.

I drive a hatchback, I don't want it bouncing around when it doesn't need to be. That said, I still have my snow tires on and my brush in the back seat just in case for another week or two.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I was more complaining about Calgary's bizarre and unpredictable climate (you will eventually need a snow brush in both May and September living here, although not usually between those) than recommending general practice.

The few days of 16 degrees in mid-January makes up for it though. Our climate is just really, really weird.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've been able to wedge a scraper next to the driver's seat in every car I've ever owned. There's no reason to ever move it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Dance posted:

I've been able to wedge a scraper next to the driver's seat in every car I've ever owned. There's no reason to ever move it.

I have one of those long telescoping brushes with the scraper on the butt end and a squeegee opposite the brush. I drive a hatchback, I leave no snow on that isn't frozen in a solid crust directly to the top of the car, and get really mad at anyone who does. I don't have a mini scraper, should probably pick one up at some point.

PT6A posted:

I was more complaining about Calgary's bizarre and unpredictable climate (you will eventually need a snow brush in both May and September living here, although not usually between those) than recommending general practice.

The few days of 16 degrees in mid-January makes up for it though. Our climate is just really, really weird.

I'm in Pittsburgh so we have the occasional snow to the end of March, and lately it's not been snowing until into November so it's not quite as bad as up where you are. I make full use of my hatch regularly in the summer though so I like to not have my brush in the way every time I fill it up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PCOS Bill posted:

I have one of those long telescoping brushes with the scraper on the butt end and a squeegee opposite the brush. I drive a hatchback, I leave no snow on that isn't frozen in a solid crust directly to the top of the car, and get really mad at anyone who does. I don't have a mini scraper, should probably pick one up at some point.

Same. Just cram it in there good, and it won't move much.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Safety Dance posted:

What if you need to get ice of your car smart guy?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PT6A posted:

Well, I have a winter bag in my car with spare clothes and some food and water (I want to be prepared if I get stuck while out in the boonies), but it takes up a lot of space. I scale it back in the summer to just a jacket, first aid kit, and some water for the summer. I keep my snow brush with the bag.

It just hangs out on the floor behind my seat in the winter, but it's kind of annoying flopping around back there if I don't need it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Don't you guys have de-icer? gently caress screwing around scraping it off. Blast it with questionable blue liquid, and get inside the loving car and shiver under your teeth rattle out while that poo poo turns into (now blue) water!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mooseykins posted:

Don't you guys have de-icer? gently caress screwing around scraping it off. Blast it with questionable blue liquid, and get inside the loving car and shiver under your teeth rattle out while that poo poo turns into (now blue) water!

Nope. With my big scraper bar it takes about 20 seconds to do the whole windshield, and maybe 10 seconds for the rear glass. No chemicals needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clearing off the car manually gives the engine some time to warm up and start producing heat. It's a good way to keep your blood moving instead of just shivering. Plus you aren't in the car belching warm moist air into a cold environment and fogging the poo poo out of the windows.