Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think he was cheating, I was more griping about how the FRF pack just picks people up and carries them around. gently caress FRF. Maybe there's some credence to Angry Grimace's theory that they didn't test it at all.

qbert posted:

Well that sounds like cheating because how can you Bolster 2 off of flipping a Scaleguard?

Also even if there was a Bolster trigger, why would the counters go on a 5/4 when there's a Scaleguard in play?
Cheating implies a malicious intent, in this case I think the dude literally had no idea what he was doing and Scaleguard just scooped him up into its arms to carry him to victory.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well that sounds like cheating because how can you Bolster 2 off of flipping a Scaleguard?

Also even if there was a Bolster trigger, why would the counters go on a 5/4 when there's a Scaleguard in play?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Spiderdrake posted:

Cheating implies a malicious intent, in this case I think the dude literally had no idea what he was doing and Scaleguard just scooped him up into its arms to carry him to victory.

Ah. So did someone point out that he didn't get the two counters? If so, it seems like the dude won that game because of Whisperwood, not the vanilla 2/3.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Sotar posted:

Dromoka sounds like a drink Starbucks would make

Dromoka Almond Fudge.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

qbert posted:

Ah. So did someone point out that he didn't get the two counters? If so, it seems like the dude won that game because of Whisperwood, not the vanilla 2/3.
Yeah it was patiently explained that flipping up isn't ETB, and then patiently explained bolster doesn't target when he tried to do it again a moment later.

And then he tapped down all his opponent's blockers and killed him, as he did in game 2.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Roast targetting coffee, response?

Activate Grindstone, liquify your roast.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So did anyone see 2 Scalelords go infinite at their prerelease?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
If you don't have enough Haven of the Spirit Dragon in your collection, Massdrop is doing a booster box and fat pack of DTK for 125$ shipped.

About 34 sets left last I checked.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Would the ability on Dragonlords Servant affect the Megamorph of a dragon by reducing the Megamorph cost?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/dragonlords-servant/ + http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/stormwing-dragon/ with the Megamorph as an example.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Would the ability on Dragonlords Servant affect the Megamorph of a dragon by reducing the Megamorph cost?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/dragonlords-servant/ + http://tappedout.net/mtg-card/stormwing-dragon/ with the Megamorph as an example.
(Mega)morph is an activated ability, not casting a spell. So no.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

No. It only reduces casting cost. Unmorphing isn't a spell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

No, because flipping a creature face-up for its morph or megamorph cost (or unmanifesting it) isn't casting a spell, it's activating an ability.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
Thanks I wasn't sure about that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Flipping a creature up also doesn't trigger any "when this enters the battlefield" abilities on it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think he was cheating, I was more griping about how the FRF pack just picks people up and carries them around. gently caress FRF. Maybe there's some credence to Angry Grimace's theory that they didn't test it at all.

At one of my prereleases I was in round 4 with a 2-1 record, basically competing for top 8 which was guaranteed if I won since I had the best tiebreaker percents of all the other people with 1 loss. I won game one and had game 2 pretty much locked up with like 3 creatures on board, three cards in hand, and him with one card and no board at all. Then he dropped Ugin and I couldn't do anything to come back from it. I mean at mythic it's not a big thing, especially when you get a single loving pack, but I feel the FRF pain. You already got Ugin guy, let me top 8 for the first time at a prerelease after bombing hard all weekend. He was also basically the nicest person I've ever played Magic against and so I couldn't even be salty.

I'm excited for my LGS that's going to run 3 DTK drafts.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It also doesn't remove Auras or +1/+1 counters.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yawgmoth posted:

(Mega)morph is an activated ability, not casting a spell. So no.

(Mega)Morph is not an activated ability (it doesn't have a colon), it is a special action.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I think they knew how short the FRF,KTK,KTK format would be and balanced it more for dragons. Having heaps of bomb rares in the third pack is way less skewing than in the first.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GonSmithe posted:

(Mega)Morph is not an activated ability (it doesn't have a colon), it is a special action.

Right, thats why they can't respond to you doing it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ok, so how badly did I build this? It went pretty well when I actually got to play. Match 2 game 1 I kept 2 plains on the draw, never drew another white card or a mountain. Game 2 I kept 3 plains, never drew another white card or mountain. Both times my hand was full of red cards that would have easily answered his plays. I got some pretty sweet plays, like EOT Pinion Feast, flip Maternal Witness, untap Pinion Feast, take lethal. Both Regents were just gross. I got to Flamerush Flamebreak, and Sunscorch just takes over the game if they don't kill it immediately. Secure the Wastes was really good too, winning me games much quicker than I would have otherwise won them. I even sided Impact Tremors in my last game of the night to combo with it. I drew it the turn after I Secured the Wastes for 6. :negative:

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

suicidesteve posted:

Ok, so how badly did I build this? It went pretty well when I actually got to play. Match 2 game 1 I kept 2 plains on the draw, never drew another white card or a mountain. Game 2 I kept 3 plains, never drew another white card or mountain. Both times my hand was full of red cards that would have easily answered his plays. I got some pretty sweet plays, like EOT Pinion Feast, flip Maternal Witness, untap Pinion Feast, take lethal. Both Regents were just gross. I got to Flamerush Flamebreak, and Sunscorch just takes over the game if they don't kill it immediately. Secure the Wastes was really good too, winning me games much quicker than I would have otherwise won them. I even sided Impact Tremors in my last game of the night to combo with it. I drew it the turn after I Secured the Wastes for 6. :negative:

Probably would have done better just going Boros; Splashing 4 forests for 4 green cards doesn't seem worth it. remove the green cards, add 2 Tormenting voice which would have evened out your draws a little bit, Hardened Berserker for a slight ramp and Stormcrag Elemental seems fine and between just mountains and plains you could have had much better mana.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Man I got so bent at a dude who had Secure the Wastes. Totally unbeatable bomb against aggressive decks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So did anyone see 2 Scalelords go infinite at their prerelease?

My girlfriend pulled it off.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Hi please come here if you want to talk about playing cards that don't see play in standard/modern/legacy in fake formats that don't exist in some kind of league with other goons:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708247

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rules question :)

I have ghost Anafenza out.

I dash out Ambuscade Shaman, does the bolster kick in before the shaman's +2/+2 or after? Can I make him a +5/+5 or does Anafenza get the counter?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AceClown posted:

Rules question :)

I have ghost Anafenza out.

I dash out Ambuscade Shaman, does the bolster kick in before the shaman's +2/+2 or after? Can I make him a +5/+5 or does Anafenza get the counter?

You control both triggers, so you get to choose the order in which they go on the stack. So yeah you can make him +5/+5. Same as you would do when casting him, actually, not necessarily dashing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I managed to get an Ambuscade Shaman out, then had a Warbringer in hand plus 2 other dash dudes.

Granted, I went 2-3 overall in that one, but gently caress it that was awesome.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
You know what works with the old 'thopter + helix combo? New anafenza.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
My 2hg deck was 2x impact tremors, 2x Warbringer + 12 other dash creatures. We lived the dream one game and dashed out 4 creatures in 1 turn with double tremors out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bugsy posted:

You know what works with the old 'thopter + helix combo? New anafenza.

Wouldn't the bolster effects just end up going onto the soon to be returned thopter?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Wouldn't the bolster effects just end up going onto the soon to be returned thopter?

I'm a little vague about which combo we're even talking about here.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
Enduring Scalelord with trample would be horrifying or beautiful depending on who owns the Scalelord.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Enduring Scalelord is a good man

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

I imagine there's some combination of untap dudes that lets you trigger bolster for free, and pump them/Anafenza, instead of the Thopter. Maybe Anafenza, and two dudes? Since they'd both untap and you'd get the chance to pick the Thopter up before the bolster resolves.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The new proper infinite combo guys:

Stick Retraction Helix on Zephyr Scribe. Play Spidersilk next, bounce it, play it again. Elusive Spellfist goes infinite. Works with all prowess creatures in general. Now in monoblue and all common and with a looter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Edit: Oh wait, that doesn't work. I'm not even sure how I thought that would work.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 24, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17560

lmao gently caress this lovely format

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

quote:

We want to engender as positive an experience as we can for players

quote:

That means enough hits from a face-down commander can kill you.

You didn't block my manifest? Oh ok you're dead.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

My group occasionally does the command zone instead of tuck rule anyway. Face down commander thing though? What the gently caress ever, we'll keep playing without that rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wezlar posted:

You didn't block my manifest? Oh ok you're dead.

That means you must identify which manifest is your commander then? Otherwise you could lie about unknown information that is needed for bookkeeping purposes.

• Locked thread